Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 18
Re: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl"
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 21, 2016 19:06

Yep that's what I gathered in the end too...pretty messed up twist but at least it's not "in your face" tension like the previous episodes...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2016 23:06

Well, the cat at the piano singing Life on Mars after the bat mitzvah party was pleasant.
And James Jagger finding his new guitarist was amusing. But I keep getting sidetracked by one question:
Why does Richie act like a cartoon character getting electrocuted every time he does a line of coke?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 00:59

Because in the world of Scorsese, cocaine is the greatest thing in this world. I would venture to say it's the central theme of Vinyl.

Date: March 22, 2016 01:08

TeddyB1018
Because in the world of Scorsese, cocaine is the greatest thing in this world.

Yeah okay, but what the heck is it cut with to make him all YOWWWWEEEE like that every time??

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: March 22, 2016 01:18

With Vinyl's occasional plot device of having the fictional characters interact with famous rock stars from back then... It's conceivable that James Jagger's character might act opposite an actor portraying his real-life dad...

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 22, 2016 01:56

Who is Devon Finestra?

Head to #Vinyl Cuts for more from @oliviawilde >> [www.vinylcuts.nyc]

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 04:39

DEmerson
You mean the German guy Richie was with in episode 6? Yeah - last night's show was pretty dark and depressing. And confusing. Was that guy a figment of Richie's imagination? Did they all get in accident at the end - or not? And the guy that played Bowie? Didn't look, sound, or act like him IMO. Still - nice to see the 'In Loving Memory of David Bowie' at the end - as painful as that is to see. Overall - kind of a downer of an episode. Not that the other ones have been especially cheerful - but I hope it picks up again next week.

I was half asleep. I thought he had an English accent. That was a weird episode. Hopefully next week will be more fun with Elvis.

And the guy who played Bowie looked like Jimmy Fallon with orange hair.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 22, 2016 10:11

with sssoul
Yeah okay, but what the heck is it cut with to make him all YOWWWWEEEE like that every time??

I was wondering the same. My guess is the actor has never done (or seen anyone doing?) coke.

I'm enjoying the show more than I imagined I would after the pilot. This most recent episode was a bit brutal, and I thought heavy-handed about the Ernst ghost character, and I feel Richie's character is bordering on parody of itself, which usually doesn't happen for a couple of years into a series.

Agree with you-all on the questionable casting of the double-chinned pudgy Bowie character. The young fellow performing "Life on Mars" was an anachronism--no white males sang in that quasi-gospel/R&B style until the early 2000s.

- swiss

Date: March 22, 2016 11:42

swiss
The young fellow performing "Life on Mars" was an anachronism--no white males sang in that quasi-gospel/R&B style until the early 2000s.

I accepted his performance as a tribute to Bowie (which the graceless impersonator certainly wasn't).
I think I read that at Mick's behest they altered this episode after Bowie's death, and I bet adding that piano man was the main change.
So I didn't mind him being an anachronism. It was a nice performance.

I too wondered if Bobby Cannavale has somehow never seen anyone do coke.
But there are people involved with the show that could give him a few pointers, surely -
some direction, you know what I mean

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 22, 2016 14:47

Great episode yesterday.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: March 22, 2016 20:35

Wild Slivovitz
Great episode yesterday.

Yes -- Great Episode.
Dark, complex, moving.

I'm loving this series. Terrific cast, great storyline & characters.
You just have to give it time as they develop the characters and the story.

Bobby Cannavale & Olivia Wilde are as good as I expected them to be. But I did not expect James Jagger as Kip Stevens (the young punk rocker) and Ray Romano as Zak Yankovich to have such rich roles and to deliver such exceptional performances.

If you haven't seen it, check it out.

And the wedding band member singing a soulful, touching "Life on Mars" was a real moment. It hit home on so many levels:

- a quiet tribute to David Bowie

- a gentle reminder that some of the most poignant musical moments happen when you least expect it

- a touching soundtrack as two aging music business partners each struggle to keep their professional and personal lives from falling apart. "Now she walks through her sunken dream"

The whole episode reminds me of the line in Ruby Tuesday "Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind"

Date: March 23, 2016 00:40

Is part of Ernst based on Brian Jones?

Date: March 23, 2016 00:52

withaheadfullofsnow

He was a "famous photographer" hanging around with the Warhol crowd, so I doubt the character was meant to refer to Brian.

Date: March 23, 2016 04:00

withaheadfullofsnow

That's exactly what I thought, too.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 23, 2016 04:18

Socrates1
withaheadfullofsnow

No, he looks a little like Brian, but I doubt that's who the writers were thinking of. Ernst was far to together to be based on Brian Jones.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 23, 2016 04:21

bye bye johnny

Who is Devon Finestra?

Head to #Vinyl Cuts for more from @oliviawilde >> [www.vinylcuts.nyc]

Thanks for the interview link, johnny. Devon is turning out to be one of my favorite characters on the show. She really is much like a lot of women from that time and even today - give up their dreams to live in suburbia and slowly lose their minds. It'll be interesting to see where she ends up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-23 04:25 by latebloomer.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: March 23, 2016 13:23

I don't understand the murder plot. If you're going to have it there, at least add a little scene in each episode to remind the viewers that he's on the brink of being arrested. Don't just completely forget it for an episode.

Date: March 24, 2016 09:22

In this last episode, Ernst mentioned the murder and Richie engaged with him on the topic, and his wife asked him at least once what he had done...they could show the flashback every since episode but that would get pretty tiresome.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 24, 2016 14:55

Re: Why does Richie act like a cartoon character getting electrocuted every time he does a line of coke?

That cracks me up! And I watched episode 6 again last night and sure enough, that's exactly what happens in the 1st scene. lol!

That episode does make more sense on a 2nd viewing. Stuff I guess I was too thick to pick up on the 1st time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-24 14:56 by DEmerson.

Date: March 24, 2016 16:19

swiss
In this last episode, Ernst mentioned the murder and Richie engaged with him on the topic, and his wife asked him at least once what he had done...they could show the flashback every since episode but that would get pretty tiresome.

No not a flashback lol i mean like last episode they showed that conversation between the lawyers listening to the recording and being like "Can we take him down"

Date: March 25, 2016 09:16

Lawyers? Weren't they cops?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 25, 2016 09:59

Socrates1
withaheadfullofsnow

Elvis Costello was wondering the same.

Date: March 25, 2016 10:45

alieb
swiss

No not a flashback lol i mean like last episode they showed that conversation between the lawyers listening to the recording and being like "Can we take him down"

lol - Vinyl reminds me of those games/story-telling devices wherein one person starts the story and emails it to the next person who writes the next part and emails it to the next person who continues with his contribution before forwarding it to the next writer who adds their bit, etc. Meaning, there doesn't seem to be a great deal continuity between and among the episodes.

This past episode seemed like time out of time--sort of as you're saying. It wasn't necessarily sequential. There was nothing more about the act his competitor signed, very little about the murder, and new characters and appearances and perspectives. I don't "mind" that, per se; but it does sort of have the vibe of fvcked-up-nights-bleeding-into-days-into-nights, on coke and booze, wherein there are series of disparate, disjointed conversations, characters appearing and disappearing, little adventures and misadventures, sub-episodes and activities, without a linear--or even a particularly cohesive--"narrative."

I hope the writer or writers start to re-like Richie more, because he was a pretty compelling character at first, and now seems in danger of suffering from writer's fatigue, thinning out and becoming more caricature more than character.

- swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-25 11:02 by swiss.

Date: March 25, 2016 13:09

TeddyB1018
Socrates1
withaheadfullofsnow

Elvis Costello was wondering the same.

Well, that's two of us on the internet and Elvis Costello. We must be onto something...

Date: March 28, 2016 07:53

What did you think of this week's episode? I was getting ready to quit Vinyl -- but I'm back on the train -- best episode yet. Really, really enjoyed it.

Date: March 28, 2016 08:27

I thought it was kind of a boring episode. And they sold the plane and have nothing to show for it. What's gonna happen to those poor guys? Hopefully the Nasty Bits can write a few catchy tunes or something.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 28, 2016 14:09

Have to say I'm losing interest. It's turning into the usual drama of bad husband/victim wife. At first it was a good story and insight to the music industry in the early 70's with good music. Now it's this jerk always snorting coke and pissing everyone off. I'll give it one or two more episodes. Then I'm out of there.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 28, 2016 17:04

With only 3 shows left this season, I'll watch the rest of it, but I have to say that I thought last night's episode was very predictable; the show is getting harder to watch.....usually HBO and Showtime shows are successful at getting away with predictability.

....can't wait until April 24th! (GOT)

Date: March 28, 2016 17:53

Wow, Richie's going from bad to worse, what's next !?

--------------

Date: March 28, 2016 20:31

swiss
What did you think of this week's episode? I was getting ready to quit Vinyl -- but I'm back on the train -- best episode yet. Really, really enjoyed it.

not sure if i would call it the best episode yet, but i definitely liked it better than last week! it was definitely a more thorough plot line. But a lot of the seeds that were planted in the pilot have yet to be explored, so i'm waiting on that. Hopefully next week will be even better, moving forward with the Nasty Bits plot.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2231
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home