Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...135136137138139140141142143144145
Current Page: 145 of 145
Re: The Rolling Stones set list discussions
Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: May 8, 2024 20:56

out of time will work fine in a stones town

ex. east rutherford, philadelphia, boston, chicago

that's probably it

when will you all face it that the after the 7th song of the set each night....there will not be any changes??

Do I want changes sure, but it's not going to happen. Maybe rambler will appear...maybe it won't. Maybe brown sugar will reappear, maybe it won't.

Be grateful for whatever they play....they are 80 freaking years old!

So many songs I'd love in hear in place of miss you, symp, you can't, but its fine I still get to see them and for that I'm grateful

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 8, 2024 20:57

Sighunt
On an 18 song setlist (now down from 19), I don't think you are going to get much variety when you have to play these obligatory warhorses: jack flash, satisfaction,honky tonk,Gimme Shelter, tumbling dice, can't always get, paint it black, Miss You, sympathy, start me up. Then you throw in 3 new ones, there is not much left to work with. I have always been of the opinion that Mick Jagger underestimates his audiences...

Whether or not he underestimates the audience, one undeniable fact is, he has created this audience. If you adjust the average ticket price of 1989 ($28) for inflation, tickets would be about $70 in today’s dollars. Imagine if shows were that accessible. Seems like a pipe dream. I’m not sure we get what we pay do. But Mick certainly gets what he *charges* for.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 8, 2024 21:28

Sir Michael doesn't "create" the ticket prices; he (and his business partners) just follow the market. Ticket prices in general, and for bigger acts in particular, are sky high these days.
It didn't always use to be like that. And acts charging less than the market allows are seldom to be seen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-08 21:31 by Stoneage.

Posted by: AJDuffer ()
Date: May 8, 2024 21:36

Posted by: dedospegajosos ()
Date: May 8, 2024 20:33

Would anyone miss Tumbling Dice if the drop it?

No, and most of my casual Stones friends don't know this song even though they play it every show rather than songs more people know like IORR, Shattered, CYHMK, etc.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: May 8, 2024 22:19

Stoneage
Sir Michael doesn't "create" the ticket prices; he (and his business partners) just follow the market. Ticket prices in general, and for bigger acts in particular, are sky high these days.
It didn't always use to be like that. And acts charging less than the market allows are seldom to be seen.

I hear what you’re saying, and you’re not wrong. But it’s not quite so simple as “the market sets the prices.” They are not filling every seat, not even close, so they are making a choice to overshoot the market *by design.* It’s almost like the pre-9/11 days of airfare: as long as they sold out first class, anything in coach was just gravy.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 22:34

I was in the pit in Houston freaking there wasn't a person i spoke too who didn't love outta time I'm going to Foxboro hope they put it back in..it was the highlight of the show.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: May 8, 2024 22:52

I'm bummed the band doesn't have the confidence in their own material enough to drop more warhorses and either play more of the new album or explore something outside the expected.

I have tix for Chicago, bought when I was hopefully they would add a chunk of the new album. Last night's Glendale show might have been the more boring setlist in several tours. Glad I have hotel and plane reservations I can cancel if this is how the tour goes.

They're the Rolling @#$%& Stones and should be confident enough to not have to rely on all the warhorses. Kinda sad.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 8, 2024 23:15

dedospegajosos
The problem is the audience, short atention span .. they easily go down to they phones if they are not super super exited .How many people actually look a the stage during Keith set? 30%?? The rest is in the bathroom, on whatssap, taking selfies or chatting about what they are going to eat later.

And Mick hates this like poison. Maybe that is why keith does one song now, come to think of it.

To expand on what you said in your post, at the last Stones show I attended in Buffalo 2015, I was sitting on the floor near what I would describe as a group of casual concert goers who appeared to be at the show because they knew the Stones were this legendary rock group who one person stated he had to see to cross off his bucket list. I was checking in with them periodically throughout the concert. To me, they appeared clueless as to the Stones songlist and aside from talking and being on their phones, only really came to life during the biggest of hits like Start Me Up, Jack Flash, and Satisfaction.

So I started thinking to myself that I would bet that if the Stones cut the warhorses down to like five-six essential hits: Jack Flash, it's only rock and roll, start me up, honky tonk, Miss You, and Satisfaction, plus 4-5 new ones, and then padded the rest with deep cuts or rarities not normally played,I would wager that casuals and hardcores would still walk out of the concert extremely satisfied. I think we give too much credit to today's casual concert goer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-08 23:58 by Sighunt.

Posted by: JN99 ()
Date: May 9, 2024 00:21

For a lot of fans who want the deeper cuts, more variety on the setlist, etc. it's likely going to always be a bit of a disappointment. I remember being really jazzed about sets for the two Licks theater shows I was lucky to get into. Other than that it's been excitement for a few songs here and there.

My issue with it now isn't the set as much as the quality of the performances. Charlie's gone and Keith can barely play and with that the setlist hardly matters anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 00:35 by JN99.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 9, 2024 06:35

Stoneage

Transportation costs are extremely high. Diesel is expensive no matter where one is - in the US - I don't know about the UK/Europe prices for diesel other than it's close to $8 a gallon or something last I knew.

Then factor in stadium rental... in 1994 as I recall reading it cost the Stones $100k a day to rent the Superdome in New Orleans... and it was 3 days. They brought in over $1 million so a loss of $300k off the top, then you have the entire production, hotels, airplane... it's not a surprise why they didn't come back to New Orleans until 2019.

I can't see the rental of a stadium per day being much higher now - they have fixed costs etc regarding who paid for it (state, city, taxes).

Date: May 10, 2024 00:19

AJDuffer

No, and most of my casual Stones friends don't know this song even though they play it every show rather than songs more people know like IORR, Shattered, CYHMK, etc.

In regard to casual Stones friends and or fans...

Tumbling Dice is on every hits compilation going back to 1975 (same with IORR except for the vinyl US release of REWIND). Shattered is only on FORTY LICKS and the 80 track edition of that 2012 release.

CYHMK isn't on any compilation.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: May 10, 2024 15:13

GasLightStreet
AJDuffer

Tumbling Dice is on every hits compilation going back to 1975 (same with IORR except for the vinyl US release of REWIND). Shattered is only on FORTY LICKS and the 80 track edition of that 2012 release.

You Can find Shattered also on Sucking In The Seventies and the promo only CD A Radio Sampler.
Can't You Hear Me knocking you can find on the promo only compilation CD "Say Ah"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-10 15:16 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: May 10, 2024 15:54

I'll just say this, I have friends, many whose favorite band overall is the Stones but they haven't spent money on going to see them live since 2005 because of the setlists. Still huge fans and spend their money on Stones releases.

Date: May 11, 2024 08:35

UrbanSteel
GasLightStreet
AJDuffer

You Can find Shattered also on Sucking In The Seventies and the promo only CD A Radio Sampler.
Can't You Hear Me knocking you can find on the promo only compilation CD "Say Ah"

That's why I said hits albums.

SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES is not a hits album. Nor is the other one you mention.

Date: May 11, 2024 08:37

mjmjr
out of time will work fine in a stones town

ex. east rutherford, philadelphia, boston, chicago

that's probably it

when will you all face it that the after the 7th song of the set each night....there will not be any changes??

Do I want changes sure, but it's not going to happen. Maybe rambler will appear.. Maybe brown sugar will reappear.

Be grateful for whatever they play....they are 80 freaking years old!

So many songs I'd love in hear in place of miss you, symp, you can't, but its fine I still get to see them and for that I'm grateful

Edited for redundancy.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 11, 2024 08:54

MelBelli
Sighunt
In una scaletta di 18 canzoni (ora in calo rispetto a 19), non penso che otterrai molta varietà quando dovrai suonare questi cavalli di battaglia obbligatori: jack flash, soddisfazione, honky tonk, Gimme Shelter, dadi cadenti, non sempre si può, dipingilo di nero, signorina te, simpatia, iniziami. Poi ne inserisci 3 nuovi, non c'è più molto su cui lavorare. Sono sempre stato dell'opinione che Mick Jagger sottovaluti il suo pubblico...[/citazione]Che sottovaluti o meno il pubblico, un fatto innegabile è che ha creato questo pubblico. Se modifichi il prezzo medio del biglietto del 1989 ($28) per l'inflazione, i biglietti sarebbero circa $70 in dollari di oggi. Immagina se gli spettacoli fossero così accessibili. Sembra un sogno irrealizzabile. Non sono sicuro che otteniamo ciò che paghiamo. Ma Mick certamente ottiene ciò per cui * addebita *.

unfortunately it doesn't work like that, in '89 they did a mega tour, this way it's easier to keep costs down. Today they are doing a mini tour also because I'm not sure that the insurance companies would be willing to do it on a mega tour, this increases the costs.

however I would really like them to play heart of stone.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 11, 2024 11:50

Sighunt
dedospegajosos
The problem is the audience, short atention span .. they easily go down to they phones if they are not super super exited .How many people actually look a the stage during Keith set? 30%?? The rest is in the bathroom, on whatssap, taking selfies or chatting about what they are going to eat later.

And Mick hates this like poison. Maybe that is why keith does one song now, come to think of it.

To expand on what you said in your post, at the last Stones show I attended in Buffalo 2015, I was sitting on the floor near what I would describe as a group of casual concert goers who appeared to be at the show because they knew the Stones were this legendary rock group who one person stated he had to see to cross off his bucket list. I was checking in with them periodically throughout the concert. To me, they appeared clueless as to the Stones songlist and aside from talking and being on their phones, only really came to life during the biggest of hits like Start Me Up, Jack Flash, and Satisfaction.

So I started thinking to myself that I would bet that if the Stones cut the warhorses down to like five-six essential hits: Jack Flash, it's only rock and roll, start me up, honky tonk, Miss You, and Satisfaction, plus 4-5 new ones, and then padded the rest with deep cuts or rarities not normally played,I would wager that casuals and hardcores would still walk out of the concert extremely satisfied. I think we give too much credit to today's casual concert goer.

A good post, but I think the problem with 'casual concert goers' and 'essential hits' is that it seems to vary from person to person what actually are those hits they are familiar with. Probably, say, "Satisfaction" will work on everyone, but then there are those who are into "Sympathy" and "Gimme Shelter", those into "Start Me Up" and "Miss You", etc. Some into "Flash" and "Honky Tonk". Then "Paint It, Black", their clearly most popular song as far as streaming goes, etc. The Stones, in the end, do have quite a league of 'big songs' people associate essentially with them. Now playing so many of them makes sure that most of people will be satisfied. But still there are some who are not: I know one casual concert goer who was surprised they didn't play "Angie", that according to her, is 'their best song'...

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 12:11 by Doxa.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 11, 2024 14:18

Sighunt

That’s what happened at Budokan 2003.

[iorr.org]

No Miss You, no Sympathy, no YCAGWYW… but it certainly worked for both types of the crowds, casuals and hard cores alike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-11 14:26 by RisingStone.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: May 14, 2024 00:20

I'm beginning to think that Keith is the weak link in this band, and the reason they don't get more "adventurous" onstage is because they can only do those songs that are well-rehearsed and/or come with some degree of confidence that Keith can play them. That doesn't mean we won't get blown intros on SMU or the painful sight of Keith trying to make something coherent our of his SFTD lead break, but they can, at least, keep the unpleasant surprises to a minimum. Just my humble opinion from the cheap seats.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 14, 2024 00:29

Actually they have mixed it up already more on this tour than the past. No complaints from me on setlists. Keith turns 80 in December, if you expect 1972 version of Keith, put on Ladies and Gentlemen. 79 year old Keith is the only Keith we need in 2024! Gold Rings on Ya!

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 14, 2024 01:07

TheBadRabbit
I'm beginning to think that Keith is the weak link in this band, and the reason they don't get more "adventurous" onstage is because they can only do those songs that are well-rehearsed and/or come with some degree of confidence that Keith can play them. That doesn't mean we won't get blown intros on SMU or the painful sight of Keith trying to make something coherent our of his SFTD lead break, but they can, at least, keep the unpleasant surprises to a minimum. Just my humble opinion from the cheap seats.

I'm only judging this from the videos I've seen, but it looks like Ronnie is doing the heavy lifting on guitar and he is playing well. I know this has been discussed before (and Keith would draw a line in the sand and have a fit), but my personal opinion is that Ronnie should be taking on extended solos like Sympathy. That particular song (just like the studio version) really requires a decent, hard edge, driving, coherent (and not meandering) solo to make it work. And let's be honest folks, although he has moments of brilliance, Keith hasn't turned in an exceptional solo on that tune for years now.

And please, before you jump all over me- For the record I'm not anti-Keith. I'm just being honest and call balls and strikes the way I see it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-14 01:08 by Sighunt.

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: May 14, 2024 01:52

TheBadRabbit
I'm beginning to think that Keith is the weak link in this band, and the reason they don't get more "adventurous" onstage is because they can only do those songs that are well-rehearsed and/or come with some degree of confidence that Keith can play them.

I love Keith, but I agree entirely. Sure, Miss You could be replaced by three deep cuts, but that would probably turn out very poorly.

Posted by: gagiwh ()
Date: May 17, 2024 18:23

Join Felger & Murray as they breakdown the Rolling Stones' set list, sharing their thoughts on what the legendary band should play at their concerts and how they should perform live

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 17, 2024 19:52

buffalo7478
I'm bummed the band doesn't have the confidence in their own material enough to drop more warhorses and either play more of the new album or explore something outside the expected.

I have tix for Chicago, bought when I was hopefully they would add a chunk of the new album. Last night's Glendale show might have been the more boring setlist in several tours. Glad I have hotel and plane reservations I can cancel if this is how the tour goes.

They're the Rolling @#$%& Stones and should be confident enough to not have to rely on all the warhorses. Kinda sad.

I think the warhorses should be in the show as 90% of the people wants to hear them. There are still about 7 songs that they can change each night.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: May 19, 2024 17:11

AJDuffer

Talk for yerself mate, TD is a must and easily their best song IMHO.
It's the only song they have played at EVERY show 'cept Paradiso 95 and Albany 2005.
The band always enjoy to play it too which I understand being a musician meself. Keith's favourite tune along with Flash.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: May 19, 2024 17:23

This is why Set list opinions are kind of useless. One man's trash is one man's treasure. For every person who considers Miss You a bathroom song, there is another who considers it a highlight.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...135136137138139140141142143144145
Current Page: 145 of 145

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1277
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home