Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10
Re: Mick taking control
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:04

Basically Mick is no fool. He new after his solo disappointments that the only way he was ever going to make shed loads of money, was to stay with Keith and the Stones. He edged his bets, he never broke up the stones, just in case he failed as a solo artist.
And that ladies and gentlemen is why you have your beloved Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:30

keefriffhards
Remember people that write books on the stones have to have an angle, they have to sensationalize everything.
I would rather take Mick and keiths word on things as opposed to some guy trying to sell a book on them.

I will do my best to remember this next time. I will always take Mick and Keith's public pronouncements as gospel understanding there is no such thing as public relations and that they are genuine people like you and me, not professionals in show business. I leave here sadder but wiser. Thank you for your coaching and gentle rebuke.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:30

<<could someone source jagger saying he wanted to be a big pop star on his own like prince or madonna?>>

"....Yetnikoff let it be known later that everyone at CBS was thinking that Mick could be as big as Michael Jackson and they were actively promoting it, and Mick was going along with it."

--Life, p. 459

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 24, 2015 01:32

i think rocky may be onto something ,i'm sure i read an interview with keith from 1979 where he said he was kicking around the idea of doing his own record and i think someone posted a soundbite of him from the early 70's saying they would all probably make their own albums sometime in the future.

i figured that "competing with madonna and michael jackson and prince" or whatever came from keith,it sounds like him.

truth is,anyone who put out a record in the 80's was competing with them,even keith.the charts are the charts.i like talk is cheap but i dont think it sold very well and i'm sure he expected it to do better.i doubt any of the stones expect a poor reception from their work.

Date: July 24, 2015 07:21

Forget it, Lem, it's Chinatown.

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: July 24, 2015 19:11

I personally believe it was very early on that Mick was the boss. He was the singer; he was out front- like he said in that RS interview. So I think it was way before Brian died. Everyone always talked about Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones. When people said The Rolling Stones, they talked about Mick. Mick brought Keith into the band and so Keith has always been "Number 2" and I don't think it's ever bothered Keith.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 24, 2015 21:02

In Life, Keith said it began to bother him in the early 80s.

"It was the beginning of the 80s when Mick started to become unbearable... This situation was a culmination of things that had been going on for several years. The immediate problem was that Mick had developed an overriding desire to control everything. As far as he was concerned, it was Mick Jagger and them."
--Life, p. 453

Date: July 24, 2015 21:34

stonehearted

"It was the beginning of the 80s when Mick started to become unbearable... This situation was a culmination of things that had been going on for several years. The immediate problem was that Mick had developed an overriding desire to control everything. As far as he was concerned, it was Mick Jagger and them."
--Life, p. 453

It got so bad at one stage in the 80's when MJ refused to go on the road with the Stones that Keith asked Roger Daltry to replace Mick. Roger refused or so the story goes.
If you look at the beginning of the Lets Spend The Night Together video you can see The big Neon Sign above the stage digitally flashing MICK JAGGER AND THE ROLLING STONES. says it all really.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 24, 2015 21:45

keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

It got so bad at one stage in the 80's when MJ refused to go on the road with the Stones that Keith asked Roger Daltry to replace Mick. Roger refused or so the story goes.
If you look at the beginning of the Lets Spend The Night Together video you can see The big Neon Sign above the stage digitally flashing MICK JAGGER AND THE ROLLING STONES. says it all really.

I question Keith's capacity for rational thinking if this urban legend is in any way true.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: July 24, 2015 21:46

Date: July 24, 2015 21:50

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

I question Keith's capacity for rational thinking if this urban legend is in any way true.

Yeah Keith must of been desperate if their was any truth to this story.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:48

What if Keith had met Roger instead of Mick at the Dartford station?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 24, 2015 22:53

keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

i don't believe that keith asked roger to do this.
not only is it ludicrous, there is no way roger would have been keith's choice.

Date: July 24, 2015 22:53

HMS
What if Keith had met Roger instead of Mick at the Dartford station?

would of been interesting lol
Imagine Keiths songs being sung by Roger mmm food for thought

Date: July 24, 2015 23:01

Turner68
keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

Believe what you want, its never been denied. Its in a Daily Mail article online.
I'm not putting the link up because its a bit of an embarrassing story. I'm done with todgergate..

Date: July 24, 2015 23:02

keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

Believe what you want, its never been denied. Its in a Daily Mail article online.
I'm not putting the link up because its a bit of an embarrassing story. I'm done with todgergate..

i am denying it. does that count?

Date: July 24, 2015 23:03

The Who recorded a couple of Stones-song, while the Stones were in prison.

Date: July 24, 2015 23:10

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

I dont understand what you mean.
I do however remember Roger being a bit put out that keith thought he would sing Stones songs.
I hope your right Turner68.
Dont sound like keith.
He might of said it in jest just to piss Mick off at the time, who knows

Date: July 24, 2015 23:10

keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

I do however remember Roger being a bit put out that keith thought he would sing Stones songs.
Dont sound like keith.

;-)

Date: July 24, 2015 23:17

Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
stonehearted

--Life, p. 453

Dont sound like keith.

;-)

Cant see your symbol on my laptop turner68

Date: July 24, 2015 23:30

From thewho.com (liner notes from "Odds And Sods":

"UNDER MY THUMB (Jagger/Richard) Original recording produced by Kit Lambert at De Lane Lea Studios on 28 June 28 1967. Released as a single June 30, 1967, coupled with THE LAST TIME. The Who recorded these two Rolling Stones songs as a gesture of support after Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were jailed on drug charges. It was their intention to continue recording Jagger/Richards songs for as long as they were imprisoned but the pair were released before The Who had a chance to record any more."

Maybe Keith remebered this in the 80ies when he was asked by a magazine what would happen if Mick really breaks up the band. And as far as I know, The Who were "retired" in the mid-80ies.

Date: July 25, 2015 00:00

Yes i do love the Rolling Stones
Is that you lipsogreen
you give me the creeps

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 25, 2015 00:24

Rocky Dijon
Forget it, Lem, it's Chinatown.

yeah,i know rocky but i get a little nostalgic sometimes.you know there was a time when we bought into that narrative too.

wonder why mick would let a bunch of record company drones believe he was gonna sell millions and millions of records? hmmm let me think,can't put my finger on it...record deal on the table maybe i dont know.i dont get it,maybe mick just didnt understand the music business,yeah that had to be it.

Date: July 25, 2015 01:07

Yeah, it's like Mick sticking with Bill Graham for his solo tour and Keith using Michael Cohl. It was a savvy move to pit the two against one another and get as much possible out of Cohl for the Steel Wheels tour the following year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-25 01:08 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2015 03:33

HMS
From thewho.com (liner notes from "Odds And Sods":

"UNDER MY THUMB (Jagger/Richard) Original recording produced by Kit Lambert at De Lane Lea Studios on 28 June 28 1967. Released as a single June 30, 1967, coupled with THE LAST TIME. The Who recorded these two Rolling Stones songs as a gesture of support after Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were jailed on drug charges. It was their intention to continue recording Jagger/Richards songs for as long as they were imprisoned but the pair were released before The Who had a chance to record any more."

Maybe Keith remebered this in the 80ies when he was asked by a magazine what would happen if Mick really breaks up the band. And as far as I know, The Who were "retired" in the mid-80ies.

Keith wouldn't be one to crack a joke either I guess.

Date: July 25, 2015 07:47

Rocky Dijon
Yeah, it's like Mick sticking with Bill Graham for his solo tour and Keith using Michael Cohl. It was a savvy move to pit the two against one another and get as much possible out of Cohl for the Steel Wheels tour the following year.

never thought about that before. very clever.

Date: July 25, 2015 09:42

Well, Bill Graham himself wrote in his memoirs and related in numerous interviews that he thought there was no question of his promoting the Steel Wheels tour based on past history. Those who know insiders have stated that the band was aware of Graham skimming off revenue from the 1981 tour. Given what happened to others who ripped the band off once they became serious about the business side, it seems a foregone conclusion that Graham was out. Giving him Mick's solo tour seems at least like a calculated move to play him as a pawn for the real deal, the big bucks "reunion" tour. It was Lem who made me rethink the reality of WWIII (as Keith termed it) during our knockdown drag-out here a few years ago (when he said I had big balls, but a tiny todger). As I took off the Jane Rose-tinted glasses, I came away with a different perspective on the reality of the eighties. As Keith's #1 fan here says, I'm just giving my opinion and not facts.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 25, 2015 10:11

keefriffhards

Roger Daltry denied it.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:10

Rocky, your take on things is NOT just your opinion , rather based on real Stones facts, a part of Stones History and if Keefriffhards really knew his stuff, he would not be so annoyingly OFF BASE! And as far as " my take" on the 1977 Toronto drug bust, AGAIN, it is all factual and even Keith has acknowledged that Mick saved his sorry ass...and the band during that time. I like your OPINIONS on Mick's solo material. Everyone knows I am a huge Mick supporter so my words are usually considered biased BUT Wandering Spirit IS an amazing album and even though Mick's catalog did not achieve monetary success, they are still very successful on the creative level. " Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 25, 2015 17:28

Mickschix
Evening Gown" is a great song on ANY level....bet Keith wishes he wrote that one!

You are kidding us, right? Do you really mean that?

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 4 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home