Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10
Re: Mick taking control
Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 9, 2015 01:37

Rocky Dijon
Guys, it's been over 25 years since these guys had a hit single. Top 40 radio ignores them. Rock stations (not Top 40) will give the new track limited play in between the old hits and that's it. It's the same situation for many of their peers - the lucky ones. Others rely on college radio or public radio for their limited airplay. STEEL WHEELS was the last commercially successful album in terms of singles. They were in their mid-forties. It was a long time ago. You won't see a hit single on Top 40 radio ever again. Even the genuine chart hits of the eighties are ignored after "Start Me Up." Classic rock or Eighties formats will never play "Waiting on a Friend" (#11), "Hang Fire" (#20), "Going to a Go-Go" (#25), "Undercover of the Night" (#9), "Harlem Shuffle" (#5), "One Hit to the Body" (#28), "Mixed Emotions" (#5), or "Rock and a Hard Place" (#22). The same with Mick's solo hits: "State of Shock" (#3), "Just Another Night" (#12), "Lucky in Love" (#38), "Dancing in the Street" (#7), or "Let's Work" (#39). That's 13 Top 40 hits from the eighties you will not hear in rotation in contemporary radio format playlists. As far as the media and public are concerned, their creative vitality ends with "Start Me Up."

For what it's worth, I was walking by a popular restaurant for people my age (college/university age) and I heard "Dancing In the Street".

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 9, 2015 01:43

alieb
Rocky Dijon
Guys, it's been over 25 years since these guys had a hit single. Top 40 radio ignores them. Rock stations (not Top 40) will give the new track limited play in between the old hits and that's it. It's the same situation for many of their peers - the lucky ones. Others rely on college radio or public radio for their limited airplay. STEEL WHEELS was the last commercially successful album in terms of singles. They were in their mid-forties. It was a long time ago. You won't see a hit single on Top 40 radio ever again. Even the genuine chart hits of the eighties are ignored after "Start Me Up." Classic rock or Eighties formats will never play "Waiting on a Friend" (#11), "Hang Fire" (#20), "Going to a Go-Go" (#25), "Undercover of the Night" (#9), "Harlem Shuffle" (#5), "One Hit to the Body" (#28), "Mixed Emotions" (#5), or "Rock and a Hard Place" (#22). The same with Mick's solo hits: "State of Shock" (#3), "Just Another Night" (#12), "Lucky in Love" (#38), "Dancing in the Street" (#7), or "Let's Work" (#39). That's 13 Top 40 hits from the eighties you will not hear in rotation in contemporary radio format playlists. As far as the media and public are concerned, their creative vitality ends with "Start Me Up."

For what it's worth, I was walking by a popular restaurant for people my age (college/university age) and I heard "Dancing In the Street".

Martha and the Vandellas is classic though.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: August 9, 2015 01:55

Anyone expecting a Top 40 hit is living in another world, except a song featuring Taylor Swift, Rihanna or Kanye West just like Macca's recent top 40 hits or Mick's solo hit with Will I Am and Jennifer Lopez a couple of years ago.
A 100% Rolling Stones song won't even hit the Top 100, there's not market for it.

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: August 9, 2015 02:42

treaclefingers
alieb
Rocky Dijon

Martha and the Vandellas is classic though.

It was definitely David and Mick that I heard

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 9, 2015 14:05

alieb
Guys, it's been over 25 years since these guys had a hit single. Top 40 radio ignores them.

There is no need for the Stones to compete with so-called "artists" like Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Beyonce, Rihanna and all these other lifeless record-company-creations. These "stars" are here today and gone tomorrow. Let them have their top40-positions, so what, they are no rivals for the Stones. I dont care for a Stones-hit-single, what I want is an album. And a new album would be in the Top5 worldwide. The Stones do not need airplay, they have zillions of fans worldwide ready and willing to buy a new album, even if radio-stations would totally ignore it. Stones-fans buy albums not singles, why should they buy a single, if the song is on the album anyway?

Btw, the Top40 are full of kiddy-stuff, why in the world should the Stones want to be there. It´s kindergarten, you have to ride naked on a wreckingball to get there or something similar to that. The Stones are very much beyond such kind of nonsense, like who´s wearing less clothes, who´s got the most tattoos... oh so silly, all of this Top40-stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-09 15:55 by HMS.

Posted by: JTHanis ()
Date: August 10, 2015 13:32

They have a built-in audience and the brand is so recognizable that they don't need a hit single. How many of today's artists will be around in 20 years? 30 years? Probably not many. How many have cross-generational appeal?

Selling records is meaningless in today's music industry. If you sell 100,000 copies the first week it's a hit. 15 years ago that would be a joke.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 12, 2015 00:49

So, are you saying that they're AFRAID to release a new album because of fear it won't be a commercial success? I think that they are just LAZY! They have music " in the can" that could be worked into some decent material but they would have to WORK at it TOGETHER...I liked a lot of the songs on a Bigger Bang. Maybe they all have side projects that they'd rather work on..Keith had his solo cd to do,& Mick was producing the James Brown biopic. Now they are resting before South America. They COULD work on a new album now if the desire was there and JTHanis, I agree, they have fans who would buy the album and love it!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 12, 2015 01:00

mickschix
So, are you saying that they're AFRAID to release a new album because of fear it won't be a commercial success? I think that they are just LAZY! They have music " in the can" that could be worked into some decent material but they would have to WORK at it TOGETHER...I liked a lot of the songs on a Bigger Bang. Maybe they all have side projects that they'd rather work on..Keith had his solo cd to do,& Mick was producing the James Brown biopic. Now they are resting before South America. They COULD work on a new album now if the desire was there and JTHanis, I agree, they have fans who would buy the album and love it!

Laziness and little desire. If little desire, then rather no new CD. Little or no desire leads to crap work and half finished songs which has happened for some songs lately.

Date: August 12, 2015 05:17

Yeah, I agree. You can tell when they are just " phoning it in"...I can live without a new cd if it is sub-par. I'd rather they keep releasing material from their vaults and reissues. ( Still need to get Sticky Fingers re-issue). I still hold on to hope that they have one more REALLY GREAT cd in them!!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 12, 2015 06:52

mickschix
Yeah, I agree. You can tell when they are just " phoning it in"...I can live without a new cd if it is sub-par. I'd rather they keep releasing material from their vaults and reissues. ( Still need to get Sticky Fingers re-issue). I still hold on to hope that they have one more REALLY GREAT cd in them!!

it's possible the phoning it in started around the time of tattoo you. they can be excused for thinking they could get away with it after an album culled from the cutting-room floor made such a huge splash.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 12, 2015 08:38

I don't know. They recorded loads of material for Undercover. Not sure they pursued the best ideas though.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 12, 2015 16:55

TeddyB1018
I don't know. They recorded loads of material for Undercover. Not sure they pursued the best ideas though.

Ive always liked that one.. kind of a weird album though. Too Much Blood, All The Way Down, Feel On Baby..

experimental studio concoctions, imo.

then there's the grungy Stones stuff, like Pain Of Love, and She Was Hot.
plus Keith's fun little Beatles nod, Wanna Hold You..

even a Ronnie Wood song too.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 12, 2015 18:04

Undercover appears to me their second-best release since 1975. To be honest, it took me a while to learn to love it but now I really DO. A fabulous album and a treasure amongst treasures.

Date: August 12, 2015 19:03

I could never get in to UNDERCOVER, and that's hard to admit because I'm such a staunch defender of all things Stones...and I never loved Dirty Work either except for One Hit..Now I did LOVE Tattoo You a lot! Maybe, not being a big " grunge fan" is part of the reason I never turned on to either record. I think Bigger Bang is much better. I still play a lot of old Stones, including Steel Wheels which is rarely mentioned, but neither of those albums.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 13, 2015 00:13

MICKSCHIX you mentioned elsewhere you don't have the 2015 live Sticky Fingers Fonda show yet--
You should get it. Pretty fun. Great listen, especially if you caught any of the Zip tour shows this year.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910
Current Page: 10 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home