Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: December 25, 2015 01:59

HMS...Smh

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2015 02:56

Turner68
Hairball I rarely disagree with you, but this time I do. The fact that the Stones didn't write You Gotta Move, or perform it as "authentically" as Fred McDowell does not reflect on whether or not it is a great track on Sticky Fingers

The Stones present their own arrangement of the song, and in some people's opinion (mine included), it's dynamite. In particular, I think Charlie's drumming is great, and I love the background singing.

But thanks to everyone who answered my question - before I didn't understand why some people give it a 0 or 1 out of 10, and now I do. I maintain my 10/10 rating for it however.

No prob Turner, we're just airing/venting our opinions in a friendly way. thumbs up
Some like it more than others. You've got your reason and I've got mine - that's what art's about.

To clarify my opinion again, I never said I hated it nor did I give it a 0 out of 10 rating.
I just think it's the weakest track on a great album, and prefer numerous earlier versions that truly 'move' me more.
If I'm forced to give the Stones version a rating, I'd say 4 out of 10 and that's being generous and polite.

Naturalust
Comparing SF to ER is like comparing CrossEyed Heart to Exile, there is always going to be someone willing to go there but it doesn't really hold water.

Merry Christmas Naturalust, and may Crosseyed Heart some day sooth your soul in the same way Exile does (yeah I know you're already over it).
That comparison may not hold water for you, but it does for me and that's really all that matters.

Cheers! smileys with beer

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 25, 2015 13:04

Naturalust
Comparing SF to ER is like comparing CrossEyed Heart to Exile, there is always going to be someone willing to go there but it doesn't really hold water.

Maybe not, but it does break the ice.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 25, 2015 19:31

Best album ever.Beter than Exile

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 26, 2015 01:36

Their most overrated album.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 26, 2015 03:17

Most overrated album? That I can't abide by! A classic. Set the template for classic British blues-rock in the 70s.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 26, 2015 06:26

Hairball

Merry Christmas Naturalust, and may Crosseyed Heart some day sooth your soul in the same way Exile does (yeah I know you're already over it).
That comparison may not hold water for you, but it does for me and that's really all that matters.

Cheers! smileys with beer

Thanks Hairball. I'm glad you are getting so much joy out of of it and a Happy Holidays back at you.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 26, 2015 06:33

whitem8
Most overrated album? That I can't abide by! A classic. Set the template for classic British blues-rock in the 70s.

It might be comments like that which make him say it's overrated... just saying ;-)

Eric Clapton was doing some interesting blues-rock work in 69,70 and 71...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-26 06:33 by Turner68.

grinning smileygrinning smileyRe: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 26, 2015 06:38

It's Christmas, I am not touching the Exile/ Crosseyed Heart comparison (except, yes I see it grinning smiley) and someone here made a statement one time of Goats Head Soup being an extension of Exile that made me bristle/I disagree, not bringin' that up either grinning smiley
(passive/ aggressive I'm aware)

Sticky Fingers! Yes, classic GOLD EXCELLENCE.
In making a 1-10 rating on songs, I became acutely aware how personal/ individual makeup/ feelings elicited/ number of times played over my life,
factored into some of my scores:

Brown Sugar 10/10
Sway 10+/10
Wild Horses 7/10
Can't You Hear Me Knocking 10+/10
You Gotta Move 9/10
Bitch 9/10
I Got the Blues 8/10
Sister Morphine 5/10
Dead Flowers 9/10
Moonlight Mile 10+/10

Re: grinning smileygrinning smileyRe: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 26, 2015 11:35

I´m wondering why all of you are loving Moonlight Mile. It never appealed to me and never will.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: December 26, 2015 15:02

if i had to explain the rolling stones with one album to someone who never heard them before, i would choose sticky fingers. SF is their opus magnum. it's impossible to make a better rock n roll album.

Posted by: tripmender ()
Date: December 26, 2015 15:42

If I had to pick a worst track, it would be Sister Morphine; but only for the lyrics, which are an unwelcome and poorly written bummer on an otherwise uplifting album. Mostly good vibes, contrasting with the beautiful downer grime of Let It Bleed. Apart from that, all 10/10, and way more satisfying overall than Exile.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 26, 2015 17:33

HMS
I´m wondering why all of you are loving Moonlight Mile. It never appealed to me and never will.

*His (Her's?) Majesty Service:
Your comment promoted me to take out 15 minutes to re- live one of the top highlights of my life;
Moonlight Mile played live San Diego Zip 2015, seen by me, first time, 13th row up front. This is the only clip I could find, understand few people could film from our trance:
[wxrt.cbslocal.com]
The above clip does not capture the take a ride hang on thunderous crescendo of the recorded track, Mick Taylor, etc. NONETHELESS:
The graphics were amazingly gorgeous, it's hard to communicate this visual without sounding trite, but it blew my mind in beauty and spirit as a backdrop.
Look at Jagger! He is trying not to smile he's having such a good time! Notice the entire audience is singing along word for word. Don't miss Keith's perfect slip in of a beauty riff.
An artistic masterwork, Moonlight Mile.

Re: Re: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Date: December 26, 2015 18:01

HMS

It's a very peaceful song, and while not one of my all time favorites, it definitely has a unique spot in my heart.
It's a near perfect winter song, much better than 'Winter' itself imo - Mick wrote a winner I'd say.
It's a great follow up conceptually to Dead Flowers' biting nastiness and cruelty.
There's melancholy in the lyrics, yet there's hope towards the conclusion:
"Yeah, I'm coming home, 'cause I'm just about a moonlight mile on down the road"
The orchestration is beautiful, and when meshed with the guitars it works very well.
As with 35love, it was great to see and hear live in San Diego - one of the highlights of that show.
A nice ending to a great album, although sometimes I'll skip it due to the somber nature of it.

Per Naturalust's suggestion for You Gotta Move, maybe if you tried singing it out loud you might understand and appreciate it better. grinning smiley

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 26, 2015 18:27

Turner68
whitem8

It might be comments like that which make him say it's overrated... just saying ;-)

Clapton has never done anything that could come close to Exile.

Date: December 26, 2015 20:25

LeonidP
Turner68
whitem8

Of course. That's irrelevant however since the comment was about sticky fingers and British blues-rock; there is very little British blues-rock on Sticky Fingers (only a couple tracks). Bitch and Brown Sugar are straight ahead rock, Wild Horses a country-flavored ballad, Dead Flowers country, Moonlight Mile a ballad, Sister Morphine certainly not rock at all although definitely blues inspired, and You Got to Move straight blues.

I was not commenting on how great SF is, or Clapton relative to the Stones, simply the assertion that Sticky Fingers "set the template" for British blues-rock in the 70s.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-27 04:24 by Turner68.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2015 23:09

Naturalust

But when you throw in the black hole of the discography then the comparison works.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 26, 2015 23:12

HMS

Go figure with DIRTY WORK: We all like an excellent track, you love a greasy messy terrible embarrassing turd.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: December 27, 2015 09:29

HMS
i dont know. I used to hate it. It took me many many years before i started to enjoy it.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 27, 2015 09:35

Turner68
LeonidP
Turner68
whitem8

Of course. That's irrelevant however since the comment was about sticky fingers and British blues-rock; there is very little British blues-rock on Sticky Fingers (only a couple tracks). Bitch and Brown Sugar are straight ahead rock, Wild Horses a country-flavored ballad, Dead Flowers country, Moonlight Mile a ballad, Sister Morphine certainly not rock at all although definitely blues inspired, and You Got to Move straight blues.

I was not commenting on how great SF is, or Clapton relative to the Stones, simply the assertion that Sticky Fingers "set the template" for British blues-rock in the 70s.

Got it!

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 27, 2015 13:29

HMS

It's epic and dramatic, it has beautiful guitar lines, it's sad and moody but also uplifting, it has a very simple but effective chordstructure, the sounds, the rhythm and the lyrics amplify each other and paint a picture of a lonely landscape, a long road, the moon, the solitude, which are images that have appealed loads of filmmakers, painters and writers and anyone with a romantic soul, it's one of the very few songs in which Mick Jagger sounds vulnerable and gets away with it (another example would be That's How Strong My Love Is), and the climax in the song is building up like an orgasm. All in all: not bad for a closing song on one of their best albums.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 27, 2015 19:25

I would assert that Clapton's stuff was more toward The Band and Delaney and Bonnie...whereas the Stones on Sticky is something very different. And more unique.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 28, 2015 09:31

I was missing this brand and this dude when this album was released:

Date: December 28, 2015 10:09

whitem8
I would assert that Clapton's stuff was more toward The Band and Delaney and Bonnie...whereas the Stones on Sticky is something very different. And more unique.

I would assert that Layla was a blues-rock album. Call me crazy.

Date: December 28, 2015 10:41

Turner68
whitem8

Of course it was, but perhaps it was sounding more «american» than that of Sticky Fingers? IMO, the genius of the Stones was that they never really left that little ounce of «britishness» in their sound.

Date: December 28, 2015 10:43

DandelionPowderman
Turner68
whitem8

Of course it was, but perhaps it was sounding more «american» than that of Sticky Fingers? IMO, the genius of the Stones was that they never really left that little ounce of «britishness» in their sound.

you're stretching :-)

personally, i think in a lot of ways it sells Sticky Fingers short to call it a/the template British blues-rock. As I pointed out above, it is much more.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-28 10:45 by Turner68.

Date: December 28, 2015 10:55

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
Turner68
whitem8

you're stretching :-)

personally, i think in a lot of ways it sells Sticky Fingers short to call it a/the template British blues-rock. As I pointed out above, it is much more.

There are two, maybe three full-blood rockers on Sticky Fingers, so it's not a template for british blues rock at all. But it sounds more «british» than Layla smiling smiley

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 28, 2015 11:38

To me SF doesnt sound "british" at all. It sounds VERY american. Beggars sounded british, but SF is the first Stones-album that could as well be recorded by an american band. They said goodbye to their british roots, they became "international".

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: December 28, 2015 17:38

It is their best album. I was a teenager at the time and could not get over the album cover that had a working zipper. In addition to have a picture of a dick print crotch shot of Joe Deallasando's crotch. He was a bisexual gay hustler that appeared in Andy Warhol films. Being an impressionable teenager at the time I did not quite get it at the time. I don't know if I do today, but the music was incredible and so eclectic for a rock and roll band. I guess that funky looking cover complemented the funky music inside. I am still in love with that album.

Date: December 28, 2015 18:17

HMS
To me SF doesnt sound "british" at all. It sounds VERY american. Beggars sounded british, but SF is the first Stones-album that could as well be recorded by an american band. They said goodbye to their british roots, they became "international".

Pretty much agreed. There's nothing really 'British' about I Got The Blues, You Gotta Move, and Dead Flowers - especially the latter two with Mick's faux American accents.

Same with Layla - with Duane Allman as co-leader, and all other members being American, the blues tunes are about as American blues/rock as you can get.
Bell Bottom Blues > Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out > Key to the Highway > Have You Ever Loved a Woman = American.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home