Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 24, 2021 17:06

Doxa
Irix
23-Apr-2021: Happy 50th Anniversary, Sticky Fingers! - [Twitter.com] - #StickyFingers50 .

Haha, they are using "Wild Horses" from Knebworth... The Stalingrad of 1976 when the big but old and tired, wounded Stones troops were beaten by a small but fresh Lynyrd Skynyrd army big time, confirmed by an innocent eye-witness, plus the first-mentioned army did so awful performance that is no worth of any document or release ever.... If we are to believe the latest raports from the war commentators of IORR...grinning smiley

But gladly it was a question of one battle - the Stones not losing a war...

- Doxa

I witnessed Guns and Roses wipe the floor with them on the opening of a four night stand in 1989. Made them look like creaky old men. Went to the last night of the gig and the Stones blew them away.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2021 20:29

rollmops
The live acoustic version of WH they did in 94-95 in a Japanese studio is one the best.
Rockandroll,
Mops

[youtu.be]

Musically I agree, and even Ronnie plays an adequate solo w/out screwing it up, but vocally I always thought Mick took it extremely over the top.
More noticeable when watching video as he acts out and exaggerates every line, but the cameras were rolling so that might explain it with his acting "skills" kicking in.
Original studio version is the absolute very best in every way, and impossible for them to ever equal that version (imo), but there have been many decent live versions throughout the decades.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 23, 2021 23:54

DandelionPowderman
rollmops
The live acoustic version of WH they did in 94-95 in a Japanese studio is one the best.
Rockandroll,
Mops

[youtu.be]

It's fantastic indeed thumbs up

There's an extra air of heartache associated with this version that I don't think the original truly captures. I've always loved the Stripped version and actually prefer it to the original. It has the ability - depending on my mood - to bring a tear to my eye, whereas the original does not. Mick sings it superbly.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 23, 2021 23:57

Voodoo Lounge will always, always, always be my favorite album of theirs, but if there is one album that I had to list as being the quintessential Rolling Stones' album, it would be Sticky Fingers, hands down, bar none. Just this week received the Russian and Spanish CD versions in the mail, as well as the Live at the Fonda LP/DVD set. It's a pure masterpiece opening note to closing note, and it just oooooozes everything that they are/were - Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n-Roll, with the greatest line-up they ever had...

Posted by: Rambler62 ()
Date: February 11, 2024 15:03

Also have a question about DEAD FLOWERS from STICKY FINGERS (DELUXE-Version, CD 2) I think this is NOT an alternate version! N.Zentgraf says it's from 1969, Felix Aeppli says it's from June/Juli 1970! I mean that's a LIVE-Rehearsal! What do you mean?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 11, 2024 15:31

An amazing collection of songs

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 13, 2024 22:28

Rambler62
Also have a question about DEAD FLOWERS from STICKY FINGERS (DELUXE-Version, CD 2) I think this is NOT an alternate version! N.Zentgraf says it's from 1969, Felix Aeppli says it's from June/Juli 1970! I mean that's a LIVE-Rehearsal! What do you mean?

Alternate version in comparison to the LP version, just not literally, as in, take 16. It sounds like a rehearsal they recorded.

Look at the "disco" version of Miss You - it's not, is it, it's just the LP version way unedited.

Date: February 13, 2024 23:25

Thank You!

Date: February 13, 2024 23:26

Thank You

Date: February 14, 2024 06:19

VoodooLounge13
Voodoo Lounge will always, always, always be my favorite album of theirs, but if there is one album that I had to list as being the quintessential Rolling Stones' album, it would be Sticky Fingers, hands down, bar none. Just this week received the Russian and Spanish CD versions in the mail, as well as the Live at the Fonda LP/DVD set. It's a pure masterpiece opening note to closing note, and it just oooooozes everything that they are/were - Sex, Drugs, and Rock-n-Roll, with the greatest line-up they ever had...

If you look into the timeline of STICKY FINGERS you will notice a crossover pre-and post release with LET IT BLEED and EXILE...

Without the SF sessions tracks on EOMS, SF could've been a double album - and it's absolutely a continuance of LIB sonically and songwriting wise: the 1968-1971 songwriting/recording (pre-France) part of The Big Four is practically linear.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2024 18:08

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

If you look into the timeline of STICKY FINGERS you will notice a crossover pre-and post release with LET IT BLEED and EXILE...

Without the SF sessions tracks on EOMS, SF could've been a double album - and it's absolutely a continuance of LIB sonically and songwriting wise: the 1968-1971 songwriting/recording (pre-France) part of The Big Four is practically linear.

The absolute apex of a career with mult-highs, which is what makes them so great.

Date: February 15, 2024 06:41

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

The absolute apex of a career with mult-highs, which is what makes them so great.

One could artistically argue that LIB and SF are a double album. They are both that good and why they constantly bobble as my number one Stones albums with the only exception being TATTOO YOU, which, fortunately, sounds completely different.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 15, 2024 10:47

Very interesting thoughts above about the LIB to Exile period.

Whilst much of the material was conceived with a great deal of overlap in time...the very individual characters and vibes of the three albums are defined by the times and places where the final recording and production were completed.

It would be fascinating to hear, for example, how the songs on LIB or SF would have sounded if recorded at Nellcote and with the subsequent Exile post production.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-16 10:56 by Spud.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 17, 2024 19:49

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

One could artistically argue that LIB and SF are a double album. They are both that good and why they constantly bobble as my number one Stones albums with the only exception being TATTOO YOU, which, fortunately, sounds completely different.

Great observation. Sticky feels like it has a bit more polish but they certainly are a stylistic 1-2 punch.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 18, 2024 15:38

It is still my favorite Rolling stones album although I love them all.To think that they just went to Muscle Shoals and "just like that" recorded WH, BS and YGTM shows how music was part of them because they had been on the road and they were on the top of their game. The Stones were inspired, and eager to prove that their enterprise was going to start on a high note.That is my impression in retrospect.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 18, 2024 17:05

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Great observation. Sticky feels like it has a bit more polish but they certainly are a stylistic 1-2 punch.

Hmm, I can see certain things over-lapping and some continuity between LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS, but to me LET IT BLEED is more in a par with BEGGARS BANQUET. It has still some kind of 60's type of experimental studio band vibe there. It excels like BEGGARS in such anthems hitting the zeitgeist as "Sympathy", "Gimme Shelter", "Street Fighting Man" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want", all still having an unorthodox experimentation (and ambition) there, something they were not able or wanting to do since then on. I think the only STICKY FINGERS track having that 60's experimental vibe is "Sister Morphine". Otherwise the album sounds more professional, the band not so much any longer experimenting, but mastering the form of different genres they like. It sounds so 70's. LET IT BLEED is still full of whatever kind of crazy hippie sound and production ideas, but STICKY is like a statement of the Stones perfecting their blues rock style and craft, and still today sounding like one of the stylistically and instrumental-wise most perfect rock albums ever done, the band nailing anything they do. EXILE continues from there, but it is way much more loose and relaxed, like them not sounding like needing to prove anything. One can find great songs and the band hot as hell there, but you cannot find any era-defining sympathyforthedevils, gimmeshelters, midnightramblers or streetfigthingmans any longer there.

I think the bridge between LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS is GET YER YA-YA'S OUT - the album that I think while is based on BEGGARS/LET IT BLEED material introduces the new, professional Stones rock sound we can first hear on studio recording in STICKY FINGERS.

- Doxa

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-18 17:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 18, 2024 18:41

Doxa
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

Hmm, I can see certain things over-lapping and some continuity between LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS, but to me LET IT BLEED is more in a par with BEGGARS BANQUET. It has still some kind of 60's type of experimental studio band vibe there. It excels like BEGGARS in such anthems hitting the zeitgeist as "Sympathy", "Gimme Shelter", "Street Fighting Man" and "You Can't Always Get What You Want", all still having an unorthodox experimentation (and ambition) there, something they were not able or wanting to do since then on. I think the only STICKY FINGERS track having that 60's experimental vibe is "Sister Morphine". Otherwise the album sounds more professional, the band not so much any longer experimenting, but mastering the form of different genres they like. It sounds so 70's. LET IT BLEED is still full of whatever kind of crazy hippie sound and production ideas, but STICKY is like a statement of the Stones perfecting their blues rock style and craft, and still today sounding like one of the stylistically and instrumental-wise most perfect rock albums ever done, the band nailing anything they do. EXILE continues from there, but it is way much more loose and relaxed, like them not sounding like needing to prove anything. One can find great songs and the band hot as hell there, but you cannot find any era-defining sympathyforthedevils, gimmeshelters, midnightramblers or streetfigthingmans any longer there.

I think the bridge between LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS is GET YER YA-YA'S OUT - the album that I think while is based on BEGGARS/LET IT BLEED material introduces the new, professional Stones rock sound we can first hear on studio recording in STICKY FINGERS.

- Doxa
Excellent analysis.

Date: February 18, 2024 19:43

Doxa
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

- Doxa

STICKY FINGERS sounds way dirtier than LET IT BLEED, overall. LIB has a sheen to it that only comes around with Wild Horses, I Got The Blues and Moonlight Mile on SF.

Do a back to back listening to BEGGARS and BLEED and BB is raunchy and dirty in comparison where as LIB is precise. LIB and SF... SF is a bigger sounding album because the musicianship has turned up a bit more; what was expansive in Monkey Man is all over SF, that quality of playing.

But to your point, Doxa, about the Stones having a new professional rock sound on SF, Live With Me is Brown Sugar's older brother. I wouldn't say LIB isn't any less of a rock album (three songs) in the way SF is more of a rock album (four songs). The key difference is they expanded their sound with SF (Sway, CYHMK, Sister Morphine, Dead Flowers, Moonlight) compared to the more country blues/blues style of LIB's not three rock songs.

Both albums are brilliantly precise, though. EOMS suffers from artist interest density in regard to not having a big career defining song like Gimme Shelter or SFTD... yet it does have its big songs with Rocks Off, Tumbling Dice, Happy, Loving Cup and All Down The Line (all except Loving Cup have made a compilation album).

BB, LIB and SF are intense focused albums. EOMS is a enormous swath of styles that has various flows to it. Sonically those three albums sound incredibly similar - EOMS is not as dirty as some people like to say it is and LIB has a sound to it (slightly more so than SF) that's just as distinct as EMOTIONAL RESCUE's sound is in comparison to various albums.

In terms of which album is better between BB, LIB, SF and EOMS?

I go with SF - it's the most dynamic album of the four.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home