Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13
Re: Raleigh NC USA 1-July-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 08:49

BostonLass
Ian Stewart setting up in Raleigh, 1965

What an absolutley amazing pic. Thanks so much for posting this!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 2, 2015 08:50

Shine A Light on Raleigh!

Setlist and some pictures: [www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 08:51 by bv.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: July 2, 2015 08:53

Just want to say thanks for everything bv! cool smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 2, 2015 08:56

The Rolling Stones: Sloppy, yet satisfying

BY DAVID MENCONI

RALEIGH - The Rolling Stones have held the mythical title of World’s Greatest Rock ’n’ Roll Band for decades now. And the cool thing about that is it doesn’t stop them from also being the sloppiest band in the world, but in a good way.

The Stones’ Zip Code Tour stopped in at Carter-Finley Stadium Wednesday night, drawing 40,000 or so acolytes. The show they saw was as raw as any garage band, with the Stones wearing their rough edges proudly -- and all these decades later, still putting in supreme amounts of effort.

Whatever sins you can accuse the Stones of (most notably turning themselves into an oldies-centric tourist attraction, with highway-robbery ticket prices), lack of enthusiasm isn’t one of them. Keith Richards beamed throughout, the picture of rock-royalty contentment. Charlie Watts was his usual steady self, seemingly amused at some very private joke as he kept the beat. And Mick Jagger traversed several miles over the course of the evening, scampering side to side across the stage and out onto the catwalk while shimmying about like a crazy (and much younger) man.

Along with rough edges, Wednesday’s show also found the Stones getting in touch with their inner jam band by playing extended solos and outros on most songs. The set clocked in at more than two hours, with a per-song average of close to seven minutes a tune (a musical verbosity rivaling Carlos Santana himself).

Fifty years ago, when the Stones played NC State’s Reynolds Coliseum, North Carolina’s own Embers opened the show. Concord’s Avett Brothers did the honors this time, and they filled up the stadium space quite nicely with a greatest-hits set drawn largely from their 2009 signpost album “I and Love and You.” This wasn’t the Avetts’ usual crowd, but they’d earned some new fans by the end of their 45 minutes onstage.

Then the Stones came out and started in on “Jumpin’ Jack Flash,” which sounded…well, not great, due to a horrendous sound mix. Richards and Ron Wood’s guitar-playing grew sharper as the set wore on, but the sound did not improve. Few in the audience seemed to mind. By now, one doesn’t attend a Stones show for polished performances so much as to bask in their aura.
Consummate frontman that he is, Jagger peppered his between-song interludes with local-color references. But they were amusing enough to make it seem as if he’d been briefed by someone who might not actually live here.

“Does anyone here support the Wolfpacks?” he asked at one point, referring to NC State’s sports mascot. A few songs later, he noted that it was “great to be in the RTP Triangle.”
“That’s what you call it, right?” he asked. “You must have the brainiest threesomes in America. Right, this next one’s called ‘Moonlight Mile.’”

Songs from the Stones’ ’60s and ’70s glory days made up the bulk of the set, with only one from the past 20 years ago (1997’s “Out of Control,” and it was a low point). On the upside, “Gimme Shelter” was dazzling, still among the spookiest songs in the rock canon, and backup singer Lisa Fischer absolutely killed it on her solo. Props also to the Duke Vespers Ensemble for their backup on “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.” And the encore version of “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” was as (yes) satisfying as the first time I heard it live 30-some years ago.

This wasn’t a show with much in the way of surprises. But more than 50 years after they became “England’s Newest Hitmakers,” it still feels like a cool rite of passage to gather among the faithful and yell “hoo hoo HOO hoo, hoo hoo” with Mick on “Miss You.” The Stones are like a comet that comes around here every 10 years or so. Will there be a 2025 visitation?

It seems impossible, but I wouldn’t bet against them.

[www.newsobserver.com]

Date: July 2, 2015 09:11

JJF

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 09:12 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: July 2, 2015 09:25

This reviewer is a stupid dip shit. Must be related to a whiner.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: July 2, 2015 09:46

Date: July 2, 2015 09:47

Moonlight Mile

Date: July 2, 2015 10:02

It's great to know you got a ticket for the Raleigh concert, Snoopy! smileys with beer

Date: July 2, 2015 10:11

Cristiano Radtke
It's great to know you got a ticket for the Raleigh concert, Snoopy! smileys with beer

Thx. Day had a few quirks, gps went out on me and I got lost in West Virginia today (see what happens when we lose basic map-reading skills!), two hours to drive 7 miles from motel to stadium due to concert traffic, missed Avett Bros but grabbed a beer, sandwich, and ticket minutes before Stones took the stage.....

Shine A Light was great to hear!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 2, 2015 10:30

drbryant
Happy in B flat - down 1/2 step?

Yep! It's been Bflat the entire Ziptour as far as I know

And until further notice, my guess is that Mick and Ronnie shared a mic on It's Only Rock & Roll

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 10:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 12:17

Nice set list.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 2, 2015 13:42

Shine A Light [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: July 2, 2015 14:03

Snoopy
Cristiano Radtke

Thx. Day had a few quirks, gps went out on me and I got lost in West Virginia today (see what happens when we lose basic map-reading skills!), two hours to drive 7 miles from motel to stadium due to concert traffic, missed Avett Bros but grabbed a beer, sandwich, and ticket minutes before Stones took the stage.....

Way to go Snoopy!

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 2, 2015 15:15

751st

Isn't a stupid dip shit the same thing as a whiner?

Obviously you were there and your impressions of the show were different than his? Why don't you talk about that instead of calling names so those of us who weren't there have something of substance to read about it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 2, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the posting the review Cristiano. Looks like it's the only one we have so far. Hoping some folks who were there will chime in here eventually with some objective and interesting comments.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: July 2, 2015 16:14

''and backup singer Lisa Fischer absolutely killed it on her solo''

This statement is very satisfying since it confirms my suspicions about the reviewer being an absolute retard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 16:34 by EasterMan.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:00

Happy

and a bunch of others from the same profile

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 17:02 by maumau.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:21

Testify
Shine A Light [www.youtube.com]

Say what you want, but this one's perfect, inc. Ronnie's solo!

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:26

CloudCat
alieb
anyone have a good scoper? Mine has gone sideways...

the person periscoping has turned their phone sideways - crummy for people watching on computers, but apparently better for people watching on their phones - plus it's a landscape view when they hold the phone sideways

i just end up watching with my neck bent....

I hear one can set their monitors to landscape. I don't hold my I phone in landscape because half of my viewers are monitor viewers and I find it more difficult to hold the phone steady.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:29

mighty stork
Oh Oh my dinners is still in the oven since Jumping Jack Flash started. I might need to scrape the black off. I hooked on this periscope thing.

I burned my dinner during Kansas City's Periscope.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:32

Snoopy

How did you get your tickets at the last minute? Box office? Scalper? Just curious how that worked out for you. Thanks.

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: July 2, 2015 17:43

Just waking up in the hotel in Raleigh.
Took my two daughters: 10 & 12.
The girls danced all night and had a great time at their first Stones show.
We took a Union Jack (British flag) and held it aloft when Mick came across to our side; he saw it and waved to us. The couple behind us seemed more excited than the girls !
On a personal note I was happy to not have any doom and gloom.
Yes, Keith did mess up the intro to SMU which became a bit of a train wreck but we still danced through it.
Keith's vocals are much improved since the 50 and counting tour - the old geezer is on fire! Who gave him the bangle/bracelet at the end?
I think I might have started a very expensive habit - the girls were thrilled.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 2, 2015 18:12

Love the setlist.
OOC and/or SFM to replace Doom & Gloom at every gig would be great.
Don't hate D & G as much as I did during start of tour, and it may have grown on me , but glad not to see it in a setlist.
All I want now to make this tour even better would be Keith to play I Can't be Seen , You Got The Silver or one of his many other songs he can play so well.
I'm fairly easy to please with a Stones setlist and this tour it's been pretty good I reckon.
Never gonna get much change in second half apart from JJF in there at times. smiling smiley

Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: July 2, 2015 18:18

Got a few pix that I'm just getting around to processing now. Loved the show!!

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:04

OpenG, put that in the favorite Keith pics thread now! That's wonderful.

Posted by: OpenGspot ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:10

And a few of Mick....

Posted by: DREAMTIME ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:17

Rokyfan
751st

Isn't a stupid dip shit the same thing as a whiner?

Obviously you were there and your impressions of the show were different than his? Why don't you talk about that instead of calling names so those of us who weren't there have something of substance to read about it.

the reviewer was only interested in trying to showcase his poetic writing and not about the performance. he copied every other critic who finds it necessary to say negative things to prove he is not biased. HE IS A STUPID DIP SHIT!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:19

with only 4 left it looks like they're gonna finish the tour pretty strong-

this is gonna be remembered as a great tour-the first one done in the summer in the states since 1978,good times.

reading back the comments by the periscopers during the show is fun too,you guys did a good job of ignoring that little troll dude this time.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:47

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 11 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2024
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home