Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: And another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 2, 2015 12:49

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Does anybody know if Keith or other band members also wiped/dubbed their tracks on YAYa's? DP?

According to Mathijs Keith overdubbed parts of his rhythm track on SCB. I'm not quite convinced, but will listen, as that particular part sounds fatter snd fuller.

But, if memory serves, it sounds fuller on the bootlegs, too. Will check.

Jagger's voice sounds overdubbed, you hear it twice, I think Keith himself changed things on carol - his solo , Taylor's guitar solo om MR sounds like an overdub,., and his sound on LWM, a fuzz box (?) could be an edit as well.

And I wonder if the record has been remastered earlier on, as far as I remember Wyman played several bum notes, they seem to be gone. But that could be my memory serving me badly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 12:54 by LuxuryStones.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 2, 2015 16:26

pepganzo
It is a great live album also with some studio works. Also waiting for Columbus of little feat has got a lot of overdubs and it is brilliant

Waiting For Columbus is one of my all time faves since it was released, way back in 1978. And it will ever be.
When the remastered and expanded Version was released in 2002, I read in the liner notes for the first time that on the album are many overdubs and edits.
But I don´t mind, it remains one of my faves of all times, not only live recordings, but recordings in general.
And for me it´s the same with GYYYO.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 2, 2015 16:35

RockingLonestar
pepganzo
It is a great live album also with some studio works. Also waiting for Columbus of little feat has got a lot of overdubs and it is brilliant

Waiting For Columbus is one of my all time faves since it was released, way back in 1978. And it will ever be.
When the remastered and expanded Version was released in 2002, I read in the liner notes for the first time that on the album are many overdubs and edits.
But I don´t mind, it remains one of my faves of all times, not only live recordings, but recordings in general.

Never get tired of Waiting for Columbus (and Little Feat music in general). Best live album ever made, imo.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 18:56

LuxuryStones
Turner68

I think it's ok that Keith was covering for Taylor's rhythm skills, it's what band mates are supposed to do - cover for one another. Not quit and then complain for 40 years.

Taylor could have done it himself if needed, he was perfectly competent.

Btw, have you served? cool smiley

no, but i know exactly what you mean ;-)

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:08

RockingLonestar
pepganzo

But with (so many) overdubs, it's no longer a live album, but a hybrid between a live and a studio album.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:13

kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

But with (so many) overdubs, it's no longer a live album, but a hybrid between a live and a studio album.

Indeed, and no matter how good many of the performances are in and of themselves, it begins to lose some of its attraction for me the more I realise how much of it is essentially just Keith soloing over his own backing track.

Date: July 2, 2015 19:15

Did Keith also add solo overdubs? I thought it was just rhythm guitar?

Date: July 2, 2015 19:23

kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

yes, it was great once they got ron wood and didn't have to overdub their live albums as much. winking smiley

Date: July 2, 2015 19:28

Turner68
kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

yes, it was great once they got ron wood and didn't have to overdub their live albums as much. winking smiley

The very same man who plays no less than three guitars on Crackin' Up? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 19:32 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:32

I'm no expert, but a comparison between Ya-Ya's and live'r Than You'll Ever Be, leads to a major conclusion: Ya-Ya's is not as 'live' as the Stones themselves would make out.

Date: July 2, 2015 19:38

Then again, they "didn't quite hit it before Detroit"...

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:42

Mathijs
Just found another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's...During Keith's solo on Honky Tonk Women, Taylor's counter rhythm guitar is removed and replaced by Richards playing an heavy, straight forward Berry rhythm.
So now we have:

JJF - Taylor partially removed during the outro section (the E - D - C# - B parts)
Carol - Taylor's main rhythm part, overdubbed by Richards. Taylor's counter turn-arounds still present
Stray Cat - Richards standard tuned rhythm guitar during the verses ('oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat') replaced with a much heavier open-tuned rhythm guitar
Midnight Rambler - Taylor removed during parts of the slow, middle piece. Probably due to tuning problems / tuning up
Were any of the bonus tracks, Satisfaction etc, from the 2009 release overdubbed?
Little Queenie - Taylors main rhythm guitar replaced by Richards
Honky Tonk Woman – Taylor’s rhythm guitar replaced in the solo section

Mathijs

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:42

pretty much every live record has overdubs on it and comes up here every little while.

then we have to tell a bunch of fans that yes-there are dubs on live at leeds,the song remains the same,ya ya's and every other live record that you love.and by the way there is no santa claus.

then we get the "hey,[insert name of record no one has heard of here] has not one overdub on it.then we all take time out to yawn and think about how much we dont care.

Date: July 2, 2015 19:51

DandelionPowderman

I don't have access to the source bootlegs, but have often heard it said that Keith replaced some of the lead guitar on Carol (at least) post hoc - perhaps not the solo itself, but rather the fills. Mathijs can probably confirm one way or the other.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:53

I don't hear any overdubs on LA Friday.....

Date: July 2, 2015 19:58

DandelionPowderman

Listen to Carol

Date: July 2, 2015 20:13

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Listen to Carol

I have smiling smiley It's a fixed solo, which he did for most of the tour.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 2, 2015 20:15

Turner68
kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

yes LYL is far superior thumbs down

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 2, 2015 20:15

kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

Technically you are 100% right. But the result is so good it doesn't matter much to me. There really isn't much to prove if the objective is to provide the best product to the people.

The value of true live recordings is rather subjective. I'm not so sure I can quantify what it means to me. There are some live recordings like Frampton Comes Alive that really draw you in with the audience sounds and participation and there are studio recordings that were basically recorded live in the studio where you can't tell what has been overdubbed. And of course the hybrids when the live flavor comes thru but overdubs have been done and the live recordiings like Fonda Theater where "corrections" have been made.

But I must admit there is a wow factor involved when a hot band is captured live and no overdubs are done. Allman Brothers at Fillmore East comes to mind.

What does a true live album/recording mean to you kleerie?

Date: July 2, 2015 20:17

lem motlow
pretty much every live record has overdubs on it and comes up here every little while.

then we have to tell a bunch of fans that yes-there are dubs on live at leeds,the song remains the same,ya ya's and every other live record that you love.and by the way there is no santa claus.

then we get the "hey,[insert name of record no one has heard of here] has not one overdub on it.then we all take time out to yawn and think about how much we dont care.

Two of my favourites (the Allman Brothers' and Derek & The Dominos' respective Fillmore East albums) don't have overdubs, so far as I'm aware. At most, one or two songs are spliced together from different performances. And the guitar fixes on Live At Leeds and TSRTS are nowhere near as significant as the ones on Ya-Ya's.

Date: July 2, 2015 20:23

Have I missed something? Because I remember people saying that the parts Keith overdubbed were insignificant and that the acetates from NYC sounded just as good.

@ DoomandGloom: The El Mocambo side on LYL is imo just as good as Ya Yas.

Date: July 2, 2015 20:48

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

Listen to Carol

I have smiling smiley It's a fixed solo, which he did for most of the tour.

It's quite different/ edited.smiling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 2, 2015 20:54

DandelionPowderman
Have I missed something? Because I remember people saying that the parts Keith overdubbed were insignificant and that the acetates from NYC sounded just as good.

Good man

Date: July 2, 2015 21:22

RockingLonestar

Why can´t the overdubbed rhythm parts of Taylor, especcially on Carol and Queenie, not be overdubbed by Taylor? I think he plays a very good Berry rhythm guitar on Let It Rock (Leeds and Marquee) and Star STar (Brüssel).

Probably Richards being a controle freak.

Date: July 2, 2015 21:42

Munichhilton
DandelionPowderman

Good man

yes dandelion is a good man (i assume he is male) and yes El Mocambo kills. it's the only side of LYL i listen to, the rest is rubbish.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 2, 2015 21:59

DandelionPowderman

The acetates had already overdubbed versions - with slightly different mixes and edits though, most notably on Sympathy For The Devil including a verse that was cut out on the final release. That's at least how I remember it.

In general I have nothing against artists overdubbing live recordings for official releases to make it as good as possible. YaYas, as it is, is a masterpiece. The "warts 'n' all" thing - that's what bootlegs are for. Or archive live releases who because of their very nature attract only a handful of forgiving die-hards compared to the general album-buying public.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 22:05 by alimente.

Date: July 2, 2015 22:49

Naturalust
kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

Technically you are 100% right. But the result is so good it doesn't matter much to me. There really isn't much to prove if the objective is to provide the best product to the people.

The value of true live recordings is rather subjective. I'm not so sure I can quantify what it means to me. There are some live recordings like Frampton Comes Alive that really draw you in with the audience sounds and participation and there are studio recordings that were basically recorded live in the studio where you can't tell what has been overdubbed. And of course the hybrids when the live flavor comes thru but overdubs have been done and the live recordiings like Fonda Theater where "corrections" have been made.

But I must admit there is a wow factor involved when a hot band is captured live and no overdubs are done. Allman Brothers at Fillmore East comes to mind.

I like live music more than studio music, however great the latter can be. But nothing, not even the best sound equipment at home, can defeat the live experience of music, no matter what music it is. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be perfectly in tune, but it fascinates me to hear how it really was played. So to me a true live recording is second best to a live experience. It's pure and vulnerable, different from any studio album.

Date: July 2, 2015 22:51

kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

I like live music more than studio music, however great the latter can be. But nothing, not even the best sound equipment at home, can defeat the live experience of music, no matter what music it is. It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to be perfectly in tune, but it fascinates me to hear how it really was played. So to me a true live recording is second best to a live experience. It's pure and vulnerable, different from any studio album.

i agree with you. have you seen the stones on this tour? i would strongly recommend it.

Date: July 2, 2015 23:07

Turner68
kleermaker
Naturalust
kleermaker
RockingLonestar
pepganzo

i agree with you. have you seen the stones on this tour? i would strongly recommend it.

No I wouldn't do that, even if it were for free. I'm a stubborn taylorite and I don't like the live Stones any longer since 1975. I saw them nonetheless in 1976 and 1982 and heard my judgement confirmed. So I'm just half a fan, though the firt 10 years count for so much more.

In 1973 it was pure magic and overwhelming, in 1976 it was, well, enjoyable but also disappointing, but in 1982 it was all over for me. At that time they were also an anachronism. The Stones belong to the sixties and the first years of the seventies to me. In that era they were also societally relevant.

Funnily enough I like the studio Stones since 1975 absolutely more than the live Stones, though the last years I almost only listen to the live Stones from the Taylor-era. They never bore me.

Date: July 2, 2015 23:35

LuxuryStones
RockingLonestar

Why can´t the overdubbed rhythm parts of Taylor, especcially on Carol and Queenie, not be overdubbed by Taylor? I think he plays a very good Berry rhythm guitar on Let It Rock (Leeds and Marquee) and Star STar (Brüssel).

Probably Richards being a controle freak.

Or a producer? winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home