Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: And another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's
Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: July 4, 2015 23:58

Thrylan
As a footnote, also these days, to stay in good graces, everyone who posts must sign a waver saying that any current tour is the "best tour ever"...incredible! Or risk being exiled....

On Main Street?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 5, 2015 00:02

One can only hope

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 5, 2015 01:00

kleermaker

Well Dandie, I think you have to be grateful for this detailed explanation.

To put it simple, Keith didn't play it with one finger. He's playing a splendid standard tuning rhythm guitar on SCB, "YaYas", overdub or not. thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 5, 2015 22:53

LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Stray Cat - Richards standard tuned rhythm guitar during the verses ('oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat') replaced with a much heavier open-tuned rhythm guitar

Mathijs

No, that's clearly standard tuning, naturally sounding, also because it's technically impossible to play an index finger bar mute like Keith does here with 'one finger only', you need at least two fingers (left) to support that. (no sus chords involved here)
And, most important, an open tuned guitar contains a perfect third, which isn't there were you describe the open tuning ('oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat'), be it open G, the tone b, open D, the tone f# or open E, the tone g#. You can hear the thirds in the song though, during the couplets, the b-string (in standard tuning of course). He's playing power chords during the verses, root, perfect fifth, octave using three strings. Keith's chords are neither major nor minor for that matter. At 1:25, 1:28 2:21 and 3:20 he's lifting his ring finger or changing position, the D5 into a C(5)-chord for a short moment, two or three strings at most. It also reveals the natural sound of the standard tuning. This would never happen with an open tuning in Keith's case, it would sound different... But your intuition is going in the right direction, power chords sound very heavy, especially when Keith plays it.

I don't think I agree. First, the bit I am talking about is the bit where Taylor takes his first solo, starting at 1:10. I don't think it actually is open D, it is open E. The things I am hearing is something Keith has played many times when noodling in Open E, on tracks like Who Am I, where only hits the first three E, A and D strings. What he does at the D bit is a quick hammer-on between D and C, without any F# or F note on the G string which you would get if you'd hammer on in standard tuning. He also doesn't slide between the D and C chord.

Then when back in A, he adds the F# and G notes on the D string, on top of the A-chord, with a hammer on of the C#/D note on the B-string. This is something Keith never played in standard tuning on the 69, 70 and 71 tours as far as I know.

Anyhow, the tuning is less important to me, I thought it was nice I heard an overdub after listening to it for 30 years without noticing.

Mathijs

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 5, 2015 22:58

That overdub was a nice find indeed then.smiling smiley

Posted by: ChrisM42 ()
Date: July 5, 2015 23:38

Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!: The Source Shows and Overdubs:

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

For your information.

Chris M.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1712
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home