Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 30, 2015 00:42

DandelionPowderman
What an experienced it must have been, Cristiano smileys with beer

Yes, it was and it was awesome to relive that experience this morning, listening to this recording. smiling smiley

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 30, 2015 00:50

Why on earth would anyone bitch about something that costs $9.95? The physical release may be different or more compressed. So what if you have to buy it again it's worth far more than $9.95!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 30, 2015 00:53

Charlie's sounding good tonight

Date: June 30, 2015 00:55

donvis
Why on earth would anyone bitch abo
ut something that costs $9.95? The physical release may be different or more compressed. So what if you have to buy it again it's worth far more than $9.95!

exactly 7.99 uk. price of 2 beers

Date: June 30, 2015 00:59

keefriffhards

Moonlight Mile!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:10

What is the average ticket price? I paid $1279 for 9th row center. $9.95 is nothing

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:11

''Sway'' doesn't quite live up to the original because of the drum beat IMO. Charlie should hold it down a bit more, it's not very steady, which makes the whole song feel a bit wobbly. He must think backwards, not forward. Sorry. Maybe it should be played somewhat slower also. Still a good version. I like how Mick sings the chorus here, in 2006 it didn't sound very good. Awesome solo by Ronnie, even better Taylor's solo on the studio album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 01:12 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: June 30, 2015 01:14

TheBlockbuster
''Sway'' doesn't quite live up to the original because of the drum beat IMO. Charlie should hold it down a bit more, it's not very steady, which makes the whole song feel a bit wobbly. He must think backwards, not forward. Sorry. Maybe it should be played somewhat slower also. Still a good version. I like how Mick sings the chorus here, in 2006 it didn't sound very good. Awesome solo by Ronnie, even better Taylor's solo on the studio album thumbs up

I agree, but the rhythm guitars aren't very solid, either. Micks sings great. Ronnie's second solo is cool. A warming up-song of the SF-sequence, imo.

Date: June 30, 2015 01:16

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards

Moonlight Mile!

oh yesss. and BS smileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:22

I love on the end how Mick says..."I hope you got your 10 dollars worth!" Classic!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:25

kleermaker

Well, well, well.

Wait, i know this one .... that's the answer to the joke/riddle: "Did you hear the one about the 3 holes in the ground?"

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:33

LeonidP
shortfatfanny
Father Ted
Must.Resist.Downloading.Until.Blu Ray.Is.Released.

...or CD or any other platform but i-tunes.
Those who can listen...have fun,hope you'll enjoy it.

Itunes is available to anyone with an internet connection. Anyone can listen.

I know but I try to resist i-tunes.
Don't know how long I will make it reading all your enthusiastic posts...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:34

whitem8
I love on the end how Mick says..."I hope you got your 10 dollars worth!" Classic!

Same price as the download thumbs up

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:41

A nice surprise. Always happy to hear a new Stones release, albeit knowing there will be a DVD/CD/Vinyl/Booklet/Poster version and the inevitable Japanese extras.

They sound great BUT, much as finishing with Brown Sugar, the album's strongest cut, makes sense theatrically, starting with Chuck's inevitable "ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR!!" and then playing Sway took me out of the moment - for a moment. I guess it's dramatic for them but to me it sounds like they can't just silently count out and start with - GASP - the song. It's very much a performance, Mick is obviously moving around so the subtle nuances of the album get lost and at times his voice sounds strained. I'm sure the visual experience will enhance the audio when the DVD comes out.

Ronnie is solid but Wyman is sorely missed. As usual.

Date: June 30, 2015 01:48

I really love this BS, but MM, IGTB, DF, CYHMK and SM stand out just as much for me on this release.

Date: June 30, 2015 01:50

Sister Morphine is faster here than it is on ''No Security''. The ''Why does the doctor have no face'' line comes 14 seconds eye popping smiley earlier on this release.
Both version are great, but I still prefer the slower one from NS. Maybe the fast Fonda version will grow on me. It's not bad. Maybe somewhat unrehearsed, even if I like The Stones that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 01:52 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: mitchrambler ()
Date: June 30, 2015 01:50

maybe this is the stonesism

Date: June 30, 2015 01:52

TheBlockbuster
Sister Morphine is MUCH faster here than it is on ''No Security''. The ''Why does the doctor have no face'' line comes 14 seconds eye popping smiley earlier on this release.
Both version are great, but I still prefer the slower one from NS. Maybe the fast Fonda version will grow on me. It's not bad. Maybe somewhat unrehearsed, even if I like The Stones that way.

Keith on acoustic, instead of doing some pointless fills, does it for me. A bit more drama in this version as well?

Date: June 30, 2015 02:00

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster
Sister Morphine is MUCH faster here than it is on ''No Security''. The ''Why does the doctor have no face'' line comes 14 seconds eye popping smiley earlier on this release.

Keith on acoustic, instead of doing some pointless fills, does it for me. A bit more drama in this version as well?

Yes it's more dramatic which rhymes better with the lyrics. I also find Keith's odd timing at 0:22 a bit annoying, or was that on purpose by him? I never thought I would say this but I also miss Chuck's keyboard during the beginning of the Fonda version! His tasty fill at the 1:36 mark on this NS video is fabulous.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 02:03

Is this "stonesism"? Does anyone know/have a guess?

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: June 30, 2015 02:50

So glad "Chinese boots" got dropped in Can't You Hear Me Knockin. That always annoyed me on the Licks tour.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 30, 2015 03:33

I-tunes (in Mexico) doesn't seem to be letting me dl this at the moment. Man, what a pain!

Has anyone here in Mx managed to download it yet?

Can anyone anywhere throw me a bone?

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: June 30, 2015 03:49

stones2000
Is this "stonesism"? Does anyone know/have a guess?

If it was I think they would have only been quoting lyrics from Sticky Fingers on their instagram/FB so no.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 04:02

pepganzo
Breaking News: Rolling Stones Release Fonda Theater Show Recording on iTunes

This morning, without any fanfare, The Rolling Stones released the recording made when they played here May 20th at The Fonda Theater in Hollywood. Rolling Stones’ fans were calling this club date the “gig to end all club gigs” at the time, and for those who want to find out if this is really true, the “Sticky Fingers” set is presented in its entirety. This was a very exclusive show, with only a lucky few getting inside to witness it. Attended by Bruce Willis, Jack Nicholson, a handful of lucky fans and myself, this was a very special show even amongst the short list of club gigs the band has played. This was the only time the band has ever played an entire album. Does the show live up to the hype? You be the judge. Available for download on iTunes at www.itunes.com

[thelosangelesbeat.com]

For some reason Keith Richards' people picked this up, retweeted it and now it's gone. Keith, Keith, stop playing! I was so stoked that Keith picked up my story from The Beat Los Angeles.

As far as this album goes, it sounds awesome. I was at The Fonda and I don't remember it sounding this good, especially CYHMK, which is my all time absolute favorite Stones song. I thought it sounded kind of flat at the show, but listening at home I'm blown away. At the show, I was very close to the speaker stack but I didn't care because I was right in front of Keith F-ing Richards. I could have gone deaf and still enjoyed the show. Maybe I was just so blown away to be in the front row of something like this, I dunno. But listening to this is just awesome, it sounds so clear and way better than it did live. Now I can re-live this great moment in history over and over again. And if you're complaining about this or that.....I just don't know.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 30, 2015 04:03

You Gotta Move makes you want to chop wood with just boots on naked. Hot damn!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 30, 2015 04:27

DandelionPowderman
This release is mastered for iTunes and for digital listening. However, the files are in the m4a-format. It sounds great on my stereo right now.

Don't forget that the songs on SF have great natural dynamics. Passing on this release would be ridiculous, imo.

This live album is very high up on the list of their greatest live albums. To be honest, I didn't see that coming.

Lol. Even more reason to be slightly disappointed by the brickwalling. All the natural dynamics in the world can be squashed to smithereens with compression as you well know. With the original vinyl having a DR rating of 13, and this having less that half (6), I hope you aren't suggesting that the natural dynamics of the tunes aren't somewhat compromised here. And what, pray tell, is digital listening? winking smiley It's all analog when it hits the ears.

But let me say that I am delighted it has been released, obviously mixed from the multitrack recording of the show. Probably sounds better in some ways than it did live! Please don't get me wrong, I am not wanting to take away from the excitement of what are obviously great songs for $10.

I am really anxious to get it but will unfortunately join the other audiophiles here and wait for a version with less DR compression and less data compression and pray it comes before I break down and download it.

I love that it was released so quickly after the show and that many folks are ecstatic about it. I will likely enjoy it even more when I wait for what I prefer, good dynamics and high bit rate audio. There is nothing negative about some folks sharing their opinions on what they prefer. I won't pass this up but with my original SF vinyl and some good boots to tide me over I can be patient.

Date: June 30, 2015 04:31

I'm playing this through my Arcam and it sounds excellent, and I have a massive collection of vinyl, I'm a vinyl purist. This sounds so good I can't believe it. I can't believe this but Darryl Jones actually augments CYHMK. I've never thought he was a particularly great bass player but on this he really sounds great. The clarity of this is simply amazing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 04:35 by roller99.

Date: June 30, 2015 04:38

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman
What an experienced it must have been, Cristiano smileys with beer

Yes, it was and it was awesome to relive that experience this morning, listening to this recording. smiling smiley

Exactly Cristiano!!!! I can't understand anyone who complains about this.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 04:51

This is a stunning release.

Just listened to I Got The Blues...by far the most soulful, genuine, @#$%& REAL singing I've heard from Mick in decades. He absolutely blew my mind.

And everyone else sounds brilliant too. Guitars are nice and raunchy, and Ronnie is up there in the mix for one with a good amount of distortion. It's such a pleasure to hear them playing like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-30 04:55 by keefriff99.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: June 30, 2015 05:28

WoooohooOOOOOooooo!!!

Funny how people have such different expectations and reactions!

Some people are collectors--I'm not. Some are audiophiles--I'm not (tho I do agree with the compression issue). Some are purists for other reasons--I'm not.

So, I am just thrilled that:

(a) they rehearsed this stuff so well, for some of the songs, after such a long damned time

(b) played it in a small venue

(c) released this rough cut so quickly

(d) some of it sounds so amazingly great! smiling bouncing smiley

(e) they're charging less than...a lot of things...a really good cheeseburger, a flick in the theatre, 3 gallons of gas, a bottle of multivitamins winking smiley

JohnnyBGoode
You Gotta Move makes you want to chop wood with just boots on naked. Hot damn!

grinning smiley Such a great line! It is hot! I don't mean the image of the boots and wood (if I meant that BV might ban me), but the whole atmosphere of this song -- it is sweltering, sweating, Robert Johnson sh|t

gotdablouse
I don't think we've heard from any of the lucky Fonda guests yet, how does the recording sound compared to what you remember? I suppose that all of Mick's erased comments must be the biggest difference.

That was my first thought too! After being so so happy for the few people on here who were actually able to get into this show!

And so was delighted, as usual, to read Cristiano's take on it!

Cristiano Radtke
After listening to this release earlier this morning, now I'm listening to it again with earphones. That's a great recording of an awesome concert. The entire band is smokin', but Chuck Leavell deserves a lot of credit for his work here, especially on Dead Flowers and I Got The Blues.

Obviously, there's no way to compare this release with being there and listening to it live, but finally everybody can hear how it was to listen to I Got The Blues and Sister Morphine that night - not to mention the other songs, of course. I just mentioned these two because that's the only ones that weren't played on the Zip Code Tour yet.

Yes, it would be great if they have released the whole concert, but hey! Until now we had nothing but that short clip posted the day after the concert, and now we have the opportunity to listen to Sticky Fingers live on its entirety for the first time. smileys with beer

So-----being that I am not as sophisticated a listener as many of you, a couple of questions: on Moonlight Mile (how awesome) it sounds at times like someone is singing along with Mick--who, or what, is that? His range sounds great to me--blissy! Was Keith actually singing harmonies?

To me, this is a super neat Monday evening treat - yay!

- swiss

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2371
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home