Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: June 24, 2015 21:54

matxil
Bill Wyman never made any music solo worth to listen to.
Neither did Mick Taylor.
And I personally don't like Mick Jagger's solo efforts either, not even Wandering Spirit.
Ronnie Wood's solo albums are as you can expect: nothing tremendous but good fun.

Keith Richards, on the other hand, made two good to great solo-albums. They contain some weaker material, mainly due to "eighties production" and his voice having its weaknesses, but songs like "Make No Mistake", "Take It So Hard", "Don't Move Me", "Hate It When You Leave", "Wicked As It Seems" not only show he can write great stuff on his own, but also create "his own sound", quite distinct from the Stones. A song like "It Means A lot" and in a different way "Rockawhile" shows his ability to groove. And even relative "filler" like "Will But You Won't" or "Running Too Deep" or "Words of Wonder" grow on you.

So, for me, it's quite clear from whom the most important contribution to the music comes.
Thank God they didn't use Bill Wyman's songs.

I have to disagree on Wandering Spirit, that's a darn good album by Mick. In my opinion anyway.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: June 24, 2015 21:56

stanlove
matxil
Bill Wyman never made any music solo worth to listen to.
Neither did Mick Taylor.
And I personally don't like Mick Jagger's solo efforts either, not even Wandering Spirit.
Ronnie Wood's solo albums are as you can expect: nothing tremendous but good fun.

Keith Richards, on the other hand, made two good to great solo-albums. They contain some weaker material, mainly due to "eighties production" and his voice having its weaknesses, but songs like "Make No Mistake", "Take It So Hard", "Don't Move Me", "Hate It When You Leave", "Wicked As It Seems" not only show he can write great stuff on his own, but also create "his own sound", quite distinct from the Stones. A song like "It Means A lot" and in a different way "Rockawhile" shows his ability to groove. And even relative "filler" like "Will But You Won't" or "Running Too Deep" or "Words of Wonder" grow on you.

So, for me, it's quite clear from whom the most important contribution to the music comes.
Thank God they didn't use Bill Wyman's songs.

I think people make a mistake by using Mick and Keith's solo material to judge them as writers for the Stones. Mick has made it clear many times he doesn't try to sound like the Stones on his solo albums. while Keith does try to sound like the Stones. Its not a good comparison.

And while I think Keith's first solo album is the best of all solo albums by Stone members I can't believe you think his second one is better then Wandering Spirit. To me Keith's second solo album was really weak in the song writing department.

To me Jagger might have even wrote more good songs then Richards away from the Stones, but Rickard's played his songs more Stonsish so they sound better to Stones fans.

Valid points and a solid post, thanks for sharing it. I think you are spot on about people/fans using their solo material to judge/compare them as writers for the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-24 22:08 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 24, 2015 22:26

for me talk is cheap just tips wandering spirit. mainly because you don't move me is just brilliant . the only thing that spoils talk is cheap is the drums are too high in the mix.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 24, 2015 22:42

I'm not sure if Miss You is a typical Wyman bass at all, is it? Supposedly, Billy Preston came up with it, at least to begin with, and generally, I think Wyman is more reknowed for his rockabillyish bass playing. They shoulda played When The Whip Comes Down with him at the O2.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 24, 2015 22:53

I agree sort of. The typical and best bass of rock is what he did on songs like Hot Stuff, and anything live, any year really but let's say 1981.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 24, 2015 23:03

keefriffhards
the only thing that spoils talk is cheap is the drums are too high in the mix.

... and the production is horribly overdoen! MOffender sounded much better and more natural but alas the songs were not as good.

Date: June 24, 2015 23:11

dcba
keefriffhards

... and the production is horribly overdoen! MOffender sounded much better and more natural but alas the songs were not as good.[/quote

and i think his voice is better on main offender. but i still play talk is cheap more

Date: June 24, 2015 23:13

I like the sound of TIC, including the loud drums. MO sounds a bit more unpolished, but still lacks the rawness of TIC, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-25 10:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 24, 2015 23:20

DandelionPowderman
I like the sound of TIC, including the loud drums. TIC sounds a bit more unpolished, but still lacks the rawness of TIC, imo.

keith said in an interview once that when he played it to mick jagger. mick said to him the drums are too loud. before that i never noticed. since he said that i keep noticing.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 25, 2015 02:04

Well at least he released some newstuff............................great bass

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: June 25, 2015 02:12

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
I like the sound of TIC, including the loud drums. TIC sounds a bit more unpolished, but still lacks the rawness of TIC, imo.

keith said in an interview once that when he played it to mick jagger. mick said to him the drums are too loud. before that i never noticed. since he said that i keep noticing.

Agree. Bit listen to some girls and parts of Tattoo you, especially neighbours- i can't believe how horrible lud are the drums...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 25, 2015 02:19

If you look at how Keith has behaved towards Mick over the years, it's clear he is absolutely indispensable for the band. Who can doubt that Mick would get rid of him at any cost if he could?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 25, 2015 02:47

dcba
keefriffhards

... and the production is horribly overdoen! MOffender sounded much better and more natural but alas the songs were not as good.

This is an outrage...I'm figuring you think it runs too fast?
Dammit!

Date: June 25, 2015 09:29

Munichhilton
dcba
keefriffhards

This is an outrage...I'm figuring you think it runs too fast?
Dammit!

WTF. im a keith nut. i love talk is cheap. i listen to keith solo way more than the stones. i love his voice his spirit his soul everything about him. he is my hero my idol. i seen him at the town and country club with the wino's, best gig i ever seen it was awesome. i only quoted the drums are too loud.

Date: June 25, 2015 10:25

your not Steve Jordan are you winking smiley

Date: June 25, 2015 10:31

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

I meant MO sounds a bit more unpolished. smiling smiley

Date: June 25, 2015 10:32

deardoctor
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

Agree. Bit listen to some girls and parts of Tattoo you, especially neighbours- i can't believe how horrible lud are the drums...

Not to mention Dirty Work...

Neighbours has no cymbals?

Date: June 25, 2015 10:35

DandelionPowderman
deardoctor
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

Not to mention Dirty Work...

yeah come to think of it your right.

Neighbours has no cymbals?

Date: June 25, 2015 10:37

oops sorry

Date: June 25, 2015 10:45

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

I meant MO sounds a bit more unpolished. smiling smiley

yeah i new thats what you meant lol

Date: June 25, 2015 10:49

i know its a Bill topic but do any of you guys love this.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 25, 2015 10:52

or this.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 25, 2015 10:57

best rhythm guitarist in the world tight there

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 25, 2015 11:02

Seb91
It's a shame, went to see Fleetwood Mac (with Christine McVie back in the fold) for the second time last night and I'm so glad they have a different attitude to past members than the Stones.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know they never replaced Christine with someone else either. So having her back did not mean having to tell someone else to leave.

Date: June 25, 2015 11:09

matxil
Seb91
It's a shame, went to see Fleetwood Mac (with Christine McVie back in the fold) for the second time last night and I'm so glad they have a different attitude to past members than the Stones.

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know they never replaced Christine with someone else either. So having her back did not mean having to tell someone else to leave.

There are many people who haven't played in bands before. They probably don't think of how making a permanent change, or someone having to leave, would affect the entity.

Date: June 25, 2015 11:09

keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 25, 2015 11:13

DandelionPowderman
keefriffhards

[www.youtube.com]

you got it Dande thumbs up i hate going to work now lol its cool on here..

Date: June 25, 2015 11:15

thumbs up

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 25, 2015 13:24

matxil
Seb91

I bet Mick & Keith, if they for whatever unlikely reason would like to have Bill Wyman back in the fold, would have no problem whatsoever with firing Darryl Jones...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 25, 2015 15:23

This Bass Is Empty (without you)

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1643
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home