Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Flowers - opinions please.
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 22, 2015 16:32

Put together by Oldham in the summer of 1967, this compilation ranks among the strongest releases they put out in the sixties. It's odds and ends and it's not an album in any way, but it is in some ways the ultimate release to document what they experimented with during 1966/67.

If the album didn't have the 'duplication' tracks that were already on the US Between The Buttons and US Aftermath, and were replaced by other non-compiled tracks like Sad Day, it could have held up well like, say, December's Children.

Since we don't discuss this compilation in the Album Talk threads by DandelionPowderman, we could discuss it here.

Opinions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 16:42 by Blueranger.

Re: Flowers - opinions please.
Date: June 22, 2015 16:37

A collection of great songs, and it was on Flowers I first heard Sitting On A Fence and Ride On, Baby - both lovely tunes, imo.

I used to think it was so sad that Brian was the only one who didn't have leaves on his flower stem...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-25 10:54 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:42

As far as I know It was only released in the US....took me years to get one, great compilation especially for the "unknown" songs although I never understood why they added "Please Go Home" great song from BTB but not for a best of record

Date: June 22, 2015 17:45

NICOS
As far as I know It was only released in the US....took me years to get one, great compilation especially for the "unknown" songs although I never understood why they added "Please Go Home" great song from BTB but not for a best of record

It wasn't on the US BTB-release.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:50

I LOVE IT!!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 22, 2015 17:53

It's gorgeous. One of my most-frequently-spun platters. And you can dance to it.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 22, 2015 18:09

I got my vinyl in Calgary at the time "Great Songs", and looking at the album cover it seems that Mj leaves are falling off any minute.

Date: June 22, 2015 18:16

The last three tracks alone are worth the price of admission - all three shine,
each one brighter than the previous one. A veritable mini-Hanukkah :E

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: June 22, 2015 18:38

Sittin On A Fence, Ride On Baby & Please Go Home (for US audiences) make it worth the price of admission alone.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:20

Nice collection of leftovers, odds and sods form pop-oriented period. I believe old London [820 139-2] CD contains a couple of wide stereo mixes. Other than that - just 2 unique tracks.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:58

Great album. I borrowed it from a friend at school 30 years ago and that record is still in my shelves.

Posted by: mstmst ()
Date: June 22, 2015 20:21

Essential when you couldn't get the brit BTB - loved Please go home / backstreet girl / fence

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 22, 2015 21:04

mstmst
Essential when you couldn't get the brit BTB - loved Please go home / backstreet girl / fence
Actually, two unique tracks are "My Girl" and "Ride On, Baby". Taking the fact that both UK and US versions of BTB are on market since 2002 "Please go home" and "Backstreet girl" are not HTF anymore. And "Sittin' On A Fence" was on More Hot Rocks for ages.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 22, 2015 21:25

A nice collection. It's got Ruby Tuesday (again) on it. Like all of the 1960s Stones releases, I've always enjopyed listening to it. The Stones's variation of the Beatles U.S. released Yesterday & Today album.

Let's just say it has become over the years a nice document of what the Stones did, circ late 1965- early 1967 (I suspect some of the songs for Aftermath were written during late 65').

I do wish they would've tossed 'My Girl' and included 'Sad Day.' Would've have improved the value of the collection substantially. I guess adding 'Under My Thumb' would've been good too. Then maybe 'Something Happened to me yesterday.' You see, the Flowers album (or versions of it) could be done by anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 21:29 by nightskyman.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 22, 2015 22:52

DandelionPowderman
NICOS

It wasn't on the US BTB-release.

Well then it makes sense ...I didn't know that

Date: June 22, 2015 22:59

ironbelly
mstmst
Actually, two unique tracks are "My Girl" and "Ride On, Baby". Taking the fact that both UK and US versions of BTB are on market since 2002 "Please go home" and "Backstreet girl" are not HTF anymore. And "Sittin' On A Fence" was on More Hot Rocks for ages.

Yes but some of us were buying records in 1967, before both BtBs were readily available.
And even now Flowers simply has aa really nice flow to it. I don't like compilations, generally,
but Flowers is exceptional.

Oh and I wouldn't trade My Girl for anything! It's a charmer - and you can dance to it :E

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 23, 2015 00:38

This comp gets a bad rap, but it collected a lot of songs I would not have heard otherwise at the time, as a young lad.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 23, 2015 00:40

Red Roses are my fave ....

ROCKMAN

Date: June 23, 2015 03:30

So everyone seems to enjoy the album. That's great. I love it as well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 23, 2015 03:50

DoctorFreddie
Great album. I borrowed it from a friend at school 30 years ago and that record is still in my shelves.
. Yes and at some point I'd like it returned!

Date: June 23, 2015 04:09

WOW!! .. They didn't have Stones albums in my reform school .. only rocks

ROCKMAN

Posted by: relms ()
Date: June 23, 2015 04:28

well, anyway

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 06:18 by relms.

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 23, 2015 05:30

Rockman
WOW!! .. They didn't have Stones albums in my reform school .. only rocks

I hated the reform school I was stuck in also......but I worked there, as a counselor, not lived there & that was bad enough!

Date: June 23, 2015 06:33

Heck!!!! ... hear her whip the boys just around midnight ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 23, 2015 06:36

DoctorFreddie

The obvious question .... are they still your friend?

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: June 23, 2015 09:19

Rockman
Heck!!!! ... hear her whip the boys just around midnight ...

oh rockman don't EVEN get me staaaaaaaaaaated.....
No, but truthfully, my supervisor he always thought I went too easy on all the teen boys-kinda hard not to laugh sometimes actually at their antics and if one of them helped me to fix my constantly breaking down big ole' american made '70's car they sorta won extra points with me

in remembrance of that tough male supervisor I had there, put it this way, his idea of confronting one of the behavior-disordered boys was to yell at them so loud the whole building could hear and I quote "SUC* MY DIC*"! I decided to leave there due to the hmmmm....philisophical differences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 09:32 by tauk.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 23, 2015 12:44

Naturalust
DoctorFreddie

The obvious question .... are they still your friend?

Yes he is but every time he visits me i forget to mentionspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 24, 2015 05:55

Awesome. Please Go Home rules!!!!!

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: June 25, 2015 03:21

This album was slapped together to capitalize on the "Summer of Love" in 1967.
The Beatles had Sgt. Pepper out June 1 of that year and the Stone's previous LP "Between The Buttons" was already 6 months old. With the exception of Ruby Tuesday, Let's Spend The Night Together and Lady Jane, the songs on the album were not available on any other American LP, making it a 'new' Stones LP for the US market, just like "The Rolling Stones NOW", "December's Children", etc. And, in restrospect, it was the LAST Stones LP to be delivered to the American market in this chopped-up fashion.
I remember listening to it a lot that summer and think it still holds up quite well.
1967 was the last time that 3 new Rolling Stones LP's were released in the USA in one year.

Date: June 25, 2015 04:17

The inclusion of the 3 earlier album released tracks, makes it's status as a compilation album. Had a couple of non-compiled b-sides taken those songs' places, it could have been regarded as a proper studio album, just as December's Children, No. 2 etc...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home