Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Their Satanic Majesties Request
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 15, 2015 13:43

DandelionPowderman
terraplane
Don't know the album just the single which I thought had Steve Winwood's vocals too dominant in the mix.

You are probably right though in that they weren't likely ready for someone else in the studio calling the shots.

Just like Miller originally wanted Mick's vocals to be on BB smiling smiley

Interesting, didn't know that.

Date: August 15, 2015 14:12

There was an interview posted here earlier where Miller asked Mick why he didn't his vocals more up front, like Miller suggested. Mick said he wanted the vocals to be like the old blues singers - more integrated in the soundscape. Miller suspected that it was due to lack of confidence instead.

Merely paraphrasing here, though.

Date: August 15, 2015 14:19

Prefer Micks approach then, even if it was because of confidence issues. smoking smiley

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: August 15, 2015 14:36

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman
Citadel is my favourite on TSMR. I wonder why so few like The Lantern? Love that one as well.

I love The Lantern as much as Citadel. grinning smiley

Keith's guitars on both are ace! hot smiley

Lovely guitars indeed!

Both those tracks are great.
Citadel is one of Keith's best riffs. It's a hard rocking beast.
Indeed, it probably marks the start of the Keith "riff hard" sound we know and love.

Posted by: MidnightPeanut ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:13

Tomorrow (Saturday) we'll be having an annual wine tasting in our garden. There's little sipping going on here - a lot of gulping of fine wines. Every year there are great participating musicians, educated or not. I'm honored to play along on a few tunes and for tomorrow I've rehearsed two special songs. I'm going to open with Sing This All Together, and follow with The Lantern.

Let's see how it goes.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:33

DandelionPowderman
Citadel is my favourite on TSMR. I wonder why so few like The Lantern? Love that one as well.
thank you. The lantern is really good and gomper is also good.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:36

His Majesty
terraplane
The album cover is probably the main reason people tend to think it was trying to copy or compete with Sgt Peppers. About half the tracks are great and musically not much different to what is on Beggar's Banquet. It would have been a much better album if they had Jimmy Miller producing it.

Maybe, but perhaps they might not have been ready for a stranger to come in and start pushing and prodding for better music.

Do you think Traffic's Jimmy Miller produced debut Mr Fantasy, recorded during same time as TSMR at Olympic Studios, is better produced than Their Satanic Majesties Request?
which leads us to Sympathy for the devil.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 10:43

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman
thank you. The lantern is really good and gomper is also good.

ah well to each his own. they sound like bad spinal tap to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-22 10:44 by Turner68.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 22, 2015 13:57

Majesties'reputation has certainly grown through the years, where it is considered by most publications detailing the Top 10 Stones albums, to definitely have its place there.

The album would have been deemed great I think if We Love You and Dandelion had been included, but as it is, its a fascinating array of sounds and songs. Not everything works, but when it does (Citadel, 2000 Light Years, Rainbow, On with the Show), it works brilliantly.

The real revelation was the sessions; the mammoth Satanic Sessions, I listen lately to Teagueraw's very well compiled 'Satanic Sessions Rebuilt' - there was so much intriguing and inventive music recorded throughout. I do feel its an important album in their history, and listening to the sessions is quite wonderful in itself.

Another excellent version is 'Satanic Majesties Reimagined' (apologies, I cannot recall who uploaded it), it includes Dandelion, Child of the Moon, remixes of two tracks, the original album versions of 7, and, the icing on the cake is the inclusion of snippets of musical interludes and themes from the instrumental tracks from the sessions. 'Reimagined' is a great listen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-22 14:04 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 22, 2015 14:26

Where it´s weak it is really weak.
Where it´s strong it really shines.
Some great guitar moments on the album.

I´ll listen to this controversial album today and then do my own "reimagination", leaving out songs I dislike and adding We Love You (though I dont like this song, but it is very fitting), Dandelion, Child Of The Moon.

I like this album better than the imo often infantile Sgt Pepper-album. TSMR is no masterpiece, but it has a special place in the group´s recording history. It is an important part of the transformation into what became the greatest rock n roll band in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-22 14:27 by HMS.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: August 23, 2015 12:55

Love the album the best tracks for me are she is a raibow, 2000 light years from home,happy stones did that music

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 24, 2015 02:34

a really great album for all its chaos but you gotta be in the mood. Have a great story about this record. Back in spring of 1981 I had a friend at Trinity College in Hartford Ct. A few of us freshmen from less prestigious schools were invited for a party. We went and lets just say most of his classmates were really preppy with dress pants and ties, and we were bums with Jeans and tee shirts. We ate shrooms and I put on SATANIC MAJESTIES for about the 25 or 30 kids jammed in the dorm room. It was a little too freaky for some of the folks who started to wig out. TSMR definitely brought some over the edge. Peaking and TSMR just do not work well with the inexperienced. LOL

This friend paid off. He scored 3rd row seats both nights for the Hartford shows in 1981 and I got to go to the first night. My older brother went the second show.
It was a much better than my first ever at JFK September 25th even though I was centered about 20 feet back in the stadium. Too mahy really f-cked up people at JFK. In Hartford we were right in front of Wyman and kept yelling " William Perks" between the songs and he would look at us, and put his finger to his mouth to say "hush" but did it with a smile. The people in the front row in Hartford were quiet, the guys in the second row were covered in puke and passed out. OH yes, Patti H was right next to me several times just gazing at her Keith. Let's just say she was not too steady on her feet that night either.

Date: August 24, 2015 02:57

Turner68

Rock music in general is all a bit Spinal Tap. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 02:58 by His Majesty.

Date: August 24, 2015 06:17

His Majesty
Turner68

Rock music in general is all a bit Spinal Tap. winking smiley

fair enough :-)

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 24, 2015 17:10

know there are lots of different opinions on the "Mickboy' series but I have to admit his 1999 "restructure" of TSMR is very entertaining and a favorite listen of mine....here's the tracklist:
1.Sing This Song Altgether
2.Citadel
3.Dandilion
4.In Another Land
5.2000 Man
6.Child Of The Moon
7.Cosmic Christmas
8.She's A Rainbow
9.The Lantern
10.Gomper
11.2000 Light Years From Home
12.We Love You

Bonus tracks:
1.2000 Man-Vocal isolation
2.She's A Rainbow- vocal/moog
3.Dandilion- original 45 Mono mix
5.We Love You- Original 45 mono mix
6.2000 Light Years- vocal isolation
7.Dandilion-Charlie drum mix
8.We Love You - vocal isolation with Lennon/McCartney vocals.

7 and 8 of the bonus tracks are really a hoot! as I said, not for everybody but I listen to it quite a bit. The only other LP Mickboy took this many liberties on the tracking is "Black & Blue" (another one I listen to a lot) and the result is quite enjoyable.

never did figure out why he just left "On With The Show" off completely tho...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-24 17:11 by scottkeef.

Date: August 24, 2015 19:36

scottkeef
know there are lots of different opinions on the "Mickboy' series but I have to admit his 1999 "restructure" of TSMR is very entertaining and a favorite listen of mine....here's the tracklist:
2.Citadel
3.Dandilion
4.In Another Land
5.2000 Man
6.Child Of The Moon
7.Cosmic Christmas
8.She's A Rainbow
9.The Lantern
10.Gomper
12.We Love You

Bonus tracks:

7 and 8 of the bonus tracks are really a hoot! as I said, not for everybody but I listen to it quite a bit. The only other LP Mickboy took this many liberties on the tracking is "Black & Blue" (another one I listen to a lot) and the result is quite enjoyable.

In another land has no business being on any stones release.

Date: August 24, 2015 20:06

Why not? Bill on vocals, Marriott and Lane on backing vocals and a nice melody and vibe. I like it! smiling smiley

Date: August 24, 2015 20:08

DandelionPowderman
Why not? Bill on vocals, Marriott and Lane on backing vocals and a nice melody and vibe. I like it! smiling smiley

You would :-)

Date: August 24, 2015 20:10

Child of the Moon has no business being on any TSMR re-imagining. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 24, 2015 20:11

I wonder why the single was presented as "Bill Wyman's In Another Land"...

Date: August 24, 2015 20:34

DandelionPowderman
I wonder why the single was presented as "Bill Wyman's In Another Land"...

Dunno, but Bill's remembering about the recording of the track seems a bit off. Keith plays 12 string acoustic on basic takes and Mick and Keith sing backing vocals on the released version as well.

Date: August 24, 2015 21:09

Yep, they do indeed.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: August 24, 2015 23:19

Turner68
scottkeef
2.Citadel
3.Dandilion
4.In Another Land
5.2000 Man
6.Child Of The Moon
7.Cosmic Christmas
8.She's A Rainbow
9.The Lantern
10.Gomper
12.We Love You

Bonus tracks:

In another land has no business being on any stones release.

"When I awoke, is this some kind of joke?"

Date: August 25, 2015 05:41

His Majesty
Prefer Micks approach then, even if it was because of confidence issues. smoking smiley

Absolutely

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 01:57

ive always thought the stones to be underrated and a lot of other artists overrated.

the stones have recorded some amazing ballads that have never really had the credit they deserve but in my opinion if these same songs had been recorded by someone else like eg cliff richard they would be considered almost his best work and would have more airplay and the songs be more famous. ive felt this way about many stones albums and that includes satanic majesties, if the beatles had recorded that it would have been a classic, or if the kinks had recorded between the buttons it would have been almost one of the best kinks albums ever.

the thing about the stones is they can make albums that would be considered classics if recorded by other artists and certainly up there with the best, but because its the stones its only seen as average for most of the albums.

the stones just never really got the credit for a lot of fantastic songs that other bands get for only good songs.

Posted by: Jayce ()
Date: August 27, 2015 07:36

My favorite Stones album.

Mellotron glory!

Good to see His Majesty back

smileys with beer

Date: August 27, 2015 19:55

thumbs up

Date: August 27, 2015 20:27

Where are gemini and fuzzbox in this thread? They had the same knowledge and love for the 60s Stones as you, Phil. They are never around when you're here.. smiling smiley

Date: August 27, 2015 20:44

What the ferk are you on about?

Date: August 27, 2015 20:48

Two posters here who have the same interests as you in the 60s Stones, nothing more smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home