Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Their Satanic Majesties Request
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 06:44

His Majesty
FOGGY
It's a wonder they got this album finished with the establishment's attempts to jail Mick, Keith and Brian (not for the content of TSMR !).

This was more or less the last time the band could be accused of copying the Beatles before returning to their roots with JJF and BB album in 1968. (..You've heard the one that the Stones were copying the Beatles, "Yesterday", by releasing "As Tears Go By".....wasn't that song written in 1964 and the Fabs track written a year later?! )

Yeah, but the "stones" didn't record it till after Yesterday and the arrangement of the stones release is obviously Yesterday inspired. winking smiley

You're both right. They copied the Beatles shamelessly, until they didn't. That happened with JJF and BB. Keith got tired of following the Beatles around and after TSMR took control of the musical direction of the group, and steered it towards musical roots - blues, country, folk, etc. JJF and BB is where the Stones grew up and became their own band.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 08:56

Its a shocking ALBUM with a couple of nice tracks and many crap tracks.

And the production? Don't start me on that. It's thin and tinny, bar Rainbow and 2000 which at least DO sound produced. The rest, thrown into a blender and out popped rubbish that runs off a spoon instead of being eaten with a fork and knife. No meat to it...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:45

His Majesty
This has replaced Beggars Banquet as my favourite Rolling Stones album. smoking smiley

I can imagine that, because it's a special and indeed freaky album, with experimental music, some strong songs, surprises and all. It's a shame the Stones have distanced themselves so strongly from this fine, time ghost containing, album. Greatest song on it to my taste: 2000 Man, one of the best Stones song I know.

Date: August 14, 2015 17:28

Citadel is my favourite on TSMR. I wonder why so few like The Lantern? Love that one as well.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 17:42

DandelionPowderman
Citadel is my favourite on TSMR. I wonder why so few like The Lantern? Love that one as well.

I like both Citadel and The Lantern but unfortunately both are lyrically inaccessible. To this day I couldn't tell you what either are about.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 14, 2015 17:42

kleermaker
His Majesty
This has replaced Beggars Banquet as my favourite Rolling Stones album. smoking smiley

I can imagine that, because it's a special and indeed freaky album, with experimental music, some strong songs, surprises and all. It's a shame the Stones have distanced themselves so strongly from this fine, time ghost containing, album. Greatest song on it to my taste: 2000 Man, one of the best Stones song I know.

2000 Man is indeed amazing! Interestingly, it's the only track on TSMR that Brian doesn't play on.

Date: August 14, 2015 17:47

DandelionPowderman

I love The Lantern as much as Citadel. grinning smiley

Keith's guitars on both are ace! hot smiley

Date: August 14, 2015 19:59

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

I love The Lantern as much as Citadel. grinning smiley

Keith's guitars on both are ace! hot smiley

Lovely guitars indeed!

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: August 14, 2015 20:25

satanic Majesties?? I like "Rainbow" and 2000 Man. Thats all.

Date: August 14, 2015 21:16

Havo
satanic Majesties?? I like "Rainbow" and 2000 Man. Thats all.

I am disappointed. I thought Mr Aftermath would love TSMR too. sad smiley

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 14, 2015 21:46

I especially love the five last songs , plus "In Another Land", I do like the others to varying degrees, and I adore the album as a whole. And how I cherish the fact that the Stones made such a daring album and of such a sort.

By the way, where do I find other posters' love for "Gomper", which I often see as the key for the listener to open up to the album's delights?

I wonder, why the album is seen as Beatles-influenced. Apart from their ongoing rivalry for some time, I cannot see the album's music as such as that Beatles-oriented.

Date: August 14, 2015 21:54

Musically, it's not Beatles influenced, and if it is it's a piss-take.

Conceptually, however, they exploited the Beatles and the contemporary music scene.

Date: August 14, 2015 22:08

Do not always musicians exploit musical impulses? And transform them, recreate them in new forms and add to them from their own?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:27

I'm reading the new Allen Klein biography and observers and Mick himself say that the Stones intentionally dragged out the MAJESTIES sessions to drive Andrew Loog Oldham nuts and to drive him away. They resented that immediately after the Redlands bust he fled to America rather than stay to support Mick and Keith.

Date: August 14, 2015 23:30

Witness
Do not always musicians exploit musical impulses? And transform them, recreate them in new forms and add to them from their own?

Yes, but I don't think they found those impulses on Sgt. Pepper. The concept, however...

Date: August 14, 2015 23:37

DandelionPowderman
Witness

Yes, but I don't think they found those impulses on Sgt. Pepper. The concept, however...

My view is that they took part in a rivalry with the Beatles for some time, but found their own impulses. Of course! It would not have been much of a rivalry, were they to copy the ideas of their rivals.

Date: August 14, 2015 23:43

Witness
DandelionPowderman
Witness

My view is that they took part in a rivalry with the Beatles for some time, but found their own impulses. Of course! It would not have been much of a rivalry, were they to copy the ideas of their rivals.

My point was that ironically this might be the first album they made without leaning heavily on the Beatles's or other bands's musical ideas.

Ironic, because this album will always be associated with them unsuccessfully aping the Beatles...

Date: August 14, 2015 23:49

They always aped the Beatles more conceptually than musically IMO, TSMR one example of many.

Date: August 14, 2015 23:56

Yes, but Aftermath and BTB are full of Beatles-esque harmonies and Kink-style music hall. TSMR was a musical statement, imo. Boys became men.

Date: August 14, 2015 23:58

DandelionPowderman
Yes, but Aftermath and BTB are full of Beatles-esque harmonies and Kink-style music hall. TSMR was a musical statement, imo. Boys became men.

I don't hear it. I hear boys becoming men on Beggar's Banquet.

Date: August 15, 2015 00:11

Title5Take1
I'm reading the new Allen Klein biography and observers and Mick himself say that the Stones intentionally dragged out the MAJESTIES sessions to drive Andrew Loog Oldham nuts and to drive him away. They resented that immediately after the Redlands bust he fled to America rather than stay to support Mick and Keith.

They did do this, but most of the album was recorded after ALO left. smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2015 00:17

Turner68
DandelionPowderman

I don't hear it. I hear boys becoming men on Beggar's Banquet.

Men became TGRARBITW on BB winking smiley

Date: August 15, 2015 00:30

DandelionPowderman

I do not see it that way. Were the Beatles alone with harmonies at that time, giving them an ownership to such ingrediences? And when BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is the most English Stones album, that does not make it Kinks derivative. Apart from that issue, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS has one song that openly delivers one other's approach to a song. That is Bob Dylan on "Who's Been Sleeping Here". All the same, to my ears it ends up as a Stones song, even if a Dylan influence at the same time is present and evident.

Date: August 15, 2015 00:42

Witness
DandelionPowderman

I do not see it that way. Were the Beatles alone with harmonies at that time, giving them an ownership to such ingrediences? And when BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is the most English Stones album, that does not make it Kinks derivative. Apart from that issue, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS has one song that openly delivers one other's approach to a song. That is Bob Dylan on "Who's Been Sleeping Here". All the same, to my ears it ends up as a Stones song, even if a Dylan influence at the same time is present and evident.

All music is derived from other music. Nothing to be defensive about (not that you were)

In my opinion dandelion nailed the comparison with the Kinks on Between the Buttons.

I think it's instructive while having these discussions to look back on "I wanna be your man" and how the Beatles and Stones did this song. Thanks to Brian's guitar (and in part Mick's singing) the Stones own that song. And yet clearly it was Beatly as the Beatles wrote it. It's ok that they influenced one another.

To me beggars banquet is like highway 61 revisited or most every Beatles album -- a shot out of nowhere, an album that makes you think "wow I've never heard anything quite like that before". In my opinion it was the stones' first but not last like that.

So anyway yeah I think the kinks and Beatles can be heard on between the buttons (let's spend the night together is essentially "early beatles-by-numbers" right down to the gist of the lyrics being the same as please please me) and that it's a good thing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 00:49 by Turner68.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 15, 2015 01:01

The album cover is probably the main reason people tend to think it was trying to copy or compete with Sgt Peppers. About half the tracks are great and musically not much different to what is on Beggar's Banquet. It would have been a much better album if they had Jimmy Miller producing it.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:05

terraplane
The album cover is probably the main reason people tend to think it was trying to copy or compete with Sgt Peppers. About half the tracks are great and musically not much different to what is on Beggar's Banquet. It would have been a much better album if they had Jimmy Miller producing it.

Maybe, but perhaps they might not have been ready for a stranger to come in and start pushing and prodding for better music.

Do you think Traffic's Jimmy Miller produced debut Mr Fantasy, recorded during same time as TSMR at Olympic Studios, is better produced than Their Satanic Majesties Request?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 01:07 by His Majesty.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:19

His Majesty
terraplane

Maybe, but perhaps they might not have been ready for a stranger to come in and start pushing and prodding for better music.

Do you think Traffic's Jimmy Miller produced debut Mr Fantasy, recorded during same time as TSMR at Olympic Studios, is better produced than Their Satanic Majesties Request?

I do

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 15, 2015 02:18

Don't know the album just the single which I thought had Steve Winwood's vocals too dominant in the mix.

You are probably right though in that they weren't likely ready for someone else in the studio calling the shots.

Posted by: BIGJAMFAN ()
Date: August 15, 2015 06:05

I enjoy it very much!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 15, 2015 12:57

terraplane
Don't know the album just the single which I thought had Steve Winwood's vocals too dominant in the mix.

You are probably right though in that they weren't likely ready for someone else in the studio calling the shots.

Just like Miller originally wanted Mick's vocals to be on BB smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home