Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: ALBUM TALK: Their Satanic Majesties Request
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 19, 2015 18:39

RobertJohnson
No Rolling Stones album, a marketing product to improve the selling rates on the Pop market. The absolute musical low point in their career. Shameless and tasteless fishing in the Beatles pond ...

Bingo.
When I see someone claim that they like the album I see someone who likes everything Stones just because its the Stones.

I haven't listened to the album in 20 years and its been a good decision..

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: June 19, 2015 18:42

I haven't listened to the album in 20 years and its been a good decision..[/quote]

eye rolling smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 19, 2015 18:49

stanlove
RobertJohnson
No Rolling Stones album, a marketing product to improve the selling rates on the Pop market. The absolute musical low point in their career. Shameless and tasteless fishing in the Beatles pond ...

Bingo.
When I see someone claim that they like the album I see someone who likes everything Stones just because its the Stones.

I haven't listened to the album in 20 years and its been a good decision..
Wrong. I love the album and despise almost everything they've done since Tattoo You. Steel Wheels and A Bigger Bang have their moments, but no I don't blindly love everything they do. Emotional Rescue is an awful album, as is Black And Blue with the exception of some hidden gems.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 19, 2015 18:56

I wish people could stop comparing it to Sgt. Pepper.

It's almost in direct contrast to that album, though it was clearly inspired by it. But that doesn't mean that it should not be listened to on it's own terms, the terms of The Rolling Stones.

As a Stones record, nothing is like it, before or since and therefore it is something really special. It does not contain their best collection of individual songs, but as a whole it has a certain aura to it.

This album was from the times were the band took chances and did some adventurous music. No doubt what came after it were better, but they couldn't have have made Beggars -> Exile, without exploring other genres, before returning to what they did best and better than most.

Even Jumping Jack Flash has it's origins in this record. It's an important record in Stones history.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 19, 2015 19:00

The 10 Greatest Stones Albums: Satanic Majesties Request nr 5
Choosen by a cast of fellow musicians and Mojo writers in 2002smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 19, 2015 19:09

I always knew that Their Satanic Majesyies Request would merit a good thread with some pasionate views. Keep it going guys. thumbs up

It's definitely up there with Dirty Work as the Stones most divisive album.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: June 19, 2015 19:18

Always wanted to visit wherever they are on the cover. Seems like a pretty far out place.

This and Let It Bleed's album covers are a couple of my favorites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 19:19 by MingSubu.

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: June 19, 2015 19:28

stanlove
I like it and there's a good deal of (mostly latter day) Stones output I have little time for.
An interesting period piece that IMHO stands up way better than BTB(UK)

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 19:53

its a very good album, ok it has filler, but most stones albums do, including the overrated aftermath. dont really like the comparisen with the beatles, the stones made some great songs in 1967 that the beatles would have been proud of, and a lot of the beatles stuff is overrated anyway.

the stones were always changing thier style right from the day they formed right through the 60,s and this was just a part of that ever changing sound. they also went on to better things by having the confidence not to stick to the one template.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 19, 2015 23:16

I have been following this board for I can't remember how many years, and I can't remember one single positive comment on Sing This Song Reprise.

Possible that I am the only one to consider it the highlight of the album? The psychedelic Can't You Hear Me Knocking?

As for the album, it is interesting as a whole, with some very strong moments.

The stones have an ability to follow all trends and someway remain themselves. Put 2000 light years in the context of their typical warhorse set, and it works!

C

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 19, 2015 23:25

NoCode0680
I like several of the songs, but it doesn't work very well as an album for me. I really enjoy 2000 Man, Citadel, She's A Rainbow, and 2000LYFH. Since they're so spread out, the album doesn't really flow for me.

I agree 100%. These are very good songs, but to me the rest of the album has a lot of fillers.

DandelionPowderman
It's much more psychelic musically than Sgt. Pepper. It's a weird musical comparison, imo.

That's something that I could never understand, too. The only possible comparison is that the two albums were released in the same year by the two greatest bands of the world at that time, which doesn't mean they sound similar or that "the Stones has copied the Beatles".

About the comparisons, Mick has the best answer, since 1964 (thanks for the video, Deltics). grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 19, 2015 23:37

Cristiano Radtke
About the comparisons, Mick has the best answer, since 1964 (thanks for the video, Deltics). grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Aww, I love Mick. He's great. And right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-19 23:37 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 20, 2015 00:05

I personally like this album. Why? Because I think the songs are good. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Well, not all of them, like the Sing This All Togethers, and the last, errr... 4:51 of Gomper.

That's where I stand on the most polarizing Stones album in existence. I don't care if Mick and Keith don't like it. 71% of it (Citadel, In Another Land, 2000 man, She's A Rainbow, The Lantern, the first :18 of Gomper, 2000LYFH, On With The Show) is fantastic IMHO. It's their most musically diverse album, their most un-Stones album, and I like it. The instrumentation is good, the lyrics are creative (sometimes not in a good way, though), and overall I give it 4/5 stars.

stanlove

HUH??? confused smiley I hate Dirty Work for the most part, Undercover and ER stink, I don't even partiuclary care for SW, or for what I've heard of ABB or B2B. And there's plenty of other Stones I don't like. Don't try to put all TSMR fans into a box because you don't like it...

Date: June 20, 2015 00:34

HearMeKnockin
I personally like this album. Why? Because I think the songs are good. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Well, not all of them, like the Sing This All Togethers, and the last, errr... 4:51 of Gomper.

That's where I stand on the most polarizing Stones album in existence. I don't care if Mick and Keith don't like it. 71% of it (Citadel, In Another Land, 2000 man, She's A Rainbow, The Lantern, the first :18 of Gomper, 2000LYFH, On With The Show) is fantastic IMHO. It's their most musically diverse album, their most un-Stones album, and I like it. The instrumentation is good, the lyrics are creative (sometimes not in a good way, though), and overall I give it 4/5 stars.

stanlove

HUH??? confused smiley I hate Dirty Work for the most part, Undercover and ER stink, I don't even partiuclary care for SW, or for what I've heard of ABB or B2B. And there's plenty of other Stones I don't like. Don't try to put all TSMR fans into a box because you don't like it...

Said perfectly.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: June 20, 2015 01:06

I don't disagree with anything stated in this thread. There are some elements in TSMR that perhaps show the Stones could have made a great, original rock recording for the 1967 flower power audience.

But I still enjoy listening to it, now and then. An interesting failure, there's a lot of good stuff in it imo.

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: June 20, 2015 01:52

A top ten Stones album for me.

The only similarity with Pepper is both bands were dropping a lot acid at the time...and maybe the cover.

I love the 2-4 Cd sets of outtakes. The long instrumental version of Sing This All Together (take 7) is great! More Piper than Pepper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-20 01:53 by jabhead.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 20, 2015 02:25

jabhead

The only similarity with Pepper is both bands were dropping a lot acid at the time...and maybe the cover.

Not sure if they were actually shamelessly fishing in The Beatles pond as been suggested here or they thought this was the direction rock music was going to go and just decided to jump in or as Jagger said it was just made in the context of the times. Mick Taylor certainly believed the Beatles rivalry influenced it and so many quotes from Keith Mick and Brian reference the Beatles when discussing the record. Not sure it it's because the interviewer were leading them with Beatles comparisons or they actually though it terms of the Beatles references.

What's clear musically is that The Beatles only soaked their feet in the pond while the Stones dovein head first and naked.

A few quotes from the great timeisonourside site about the record:

"We were just loony, and after the Beatles had done Sgt. Pepper, it was like, Let's get even more ridiculous". - Keith 2003

I don't know (that we were trying to copy the Beatles). I never listened any more to the Beatles than to anyone else in those days when we were working. It's probably more down to the fact that we were going through the same things. Maybe we were doing it a little bit after them. Anyway, we were following them through so many scenes. We're only just mirrors ourselves of that whole thing. It took us much longer to get a record out for us, our stuff was always coming out later anyway. I moved around a lot. And then Anita and I got together and I lay back for a long time... There was a time 3, 4 years ago, in '67, when everybody just stopped, everything just stopped dead. Everybody was trying to work it out, what was going to go on. So many weird things happened to so many weird people at one time. America really turned itself round, the kids.... coming together.

- Keith Richards, 1971

(There was a)bsolutely no idea behind it. No, it's wrong to say there is or was no idea at all; there was, but it was all completely external. It was done over such a long period of time that eventually it just evolved. The first thing we did was She's a Rainbow, then 2000 Light Years from Home, then Citadel and it just got freakier as we went along. Then we did Sing This Song All Together and On with the Show, The Lantern and then Bill's one. It took almost a whole year to make, not because it's so fantastically complex that we needed a whole year but because we were strung out... (The drug trials) took a lot of time plus we didn't know if we had a producer or not. Sometimes Andrew would turn up, sometimes he wouldn't. We never knew if we would be in jail or what. Keith and I never sat down and played the songs to each other. We just made that album for what it is.

- Mick Jagger, 1968

Half of it was, Let's give people what we think they want. The other half was, Let's get out of here as quickly as possible.

- Keith Richards

It really began with the Beatles' Revolver album. It was the beginning of an appeal to the intellect. Once you could tell how well a group was doing by the reaction to their sex appeal but the days of the hysteria are fading and for that reason there will never be a new Stones or a new Beatles. We are moving after minds and so are most of the new groups.

- Mick Jagger, September 1967

There are lots of easy things to listen to like Sing This All Together. As an album I don't think it's as far out as Sgt. Pepper. It's primarily an album to listen to but I don't feel people will think we've gone totally round the bend because of that.

- Mick Jagger, 1967

Yes, of course the album is a very personal thing. But the Beatles are just as introspective. You have to remember that our entire lives have been affected lately by social-political influences. You have to expect those things to come out in our work. In a way songs like 2000 Light Years from Home are prophetic, not at all introvert. They are the things we believe to be happening and will happen. Changes in values and attitudes.

- Brian Jones, 1967

With Satanic Majesties it seemed they felt something clever was expected of them because they had this tremendous rivalry with the Beatles. I think they felt that if the Beatles did something they had to do something equally good. With Satanic Majesties they were trying to impress, to compete. But throughout all (the Stones') albums there's this incredible black feeling which is natural.

- Mick Taylor, who first met the Stones
during the recording of the album, 1979

I probably started to take too many drugs... (I)t's not very good. It had interesting things on it, but I don't think any of the songs are very good. It's a bit like Between The Buttons. It's a sound experience, really, rather than a song experience. There's two good songs on it: She's A Rainbow, which we didn't do on the last tour, although we almost did, and 2000 Light Years from Home, which we did do. The rest of them are nonsense... I think we were just taking too much acid. We were just getting carried away, just thinking anything you did was fun and everyone should listen to it. The whole thing we were on acid... Also, we did it to piss Andrew (Oldham) off, because he was such a pain in the neck. Because he didn't understand it. The more we wanted to unload him, we decided to go on this path to alienate him.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

peace

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 20, 2015 04:22

Naturalust
jabhead

Not sure if they were actually shamelessly fishing in The Beatles pond as been suggested here or they thought this was the direction rock music was going to go and just decided to jump in or as Jagger said it was just made in the context of the times. Mick Taylor certainly believed the Beatles rivalry influenced it and so many quotes from Keith Mick and Brian reference the Beatles when discussing the record. Not sure it it's because the interviewer were leading them with Beatles comparisons or they actually though it terms of the Beatles references.

What's clear musically is that The Beatles only soaked their feet in the pond while the Stones dovein head first and naked.

A few quotes from the great timeisonourside site about the record:

"We were just loony, and after the Beatles had done Sgt. Pepper, it was like, Let's get even more ridiculous". - Keith 2003

I don't know (that we were trying to copy the Beatles). I never listened any more to the Beatles than to anyone else in those days when we were working. It's probably more down to the fact that we were going through the same things. Maybe we were doing it a little bit after them. Anyway, we were following them through so many scenes. We're only just mirrors ourselves of that whole thing. It took us much longer to get a record out for us, our stuff was always coming out later anyway. I moved around a lot. And then Anita and I got together and I lay back for a long time... There was a time 3, 4 years ago, in '67, when everybody just stopped, everything just stopped dead. Everybody was trying to work it out, what was going to go on. So many weird things happened to so many weird people at one time. America really turned itself round, the kids.... coming together.

- Keith Richards, 1971

(There was a)bsolutely no idea behind it. No, it's wrong to say there is or was no idea at all; there was, but it was all completely external. It was done over such a long period of time that eventually it just evolved. The first thing we did was She's a Rainbow, then 2000 Light Years from Home, then Citadel and it just got freakier as we went along. Then we did Sing This Song All Together and On with the Show, The Lantern and then Bill's one. It took almost a whole year to make, not because it's so fantastically complex that we needed a whole year but because we were strung out... (The drug trials) took a lot of time plus we didn't know if we had a producer or not. Sometimes Andrew would turn up, sometimes he wouldn't. We never knew if we would be in jail or what. Keith and I never sat down and played the songs to each other. We just made that album for what it is.

- Mick Jagger, 1968

Half of it was, Let's give people what we think they want. The other half was, Let's get out of here as quickly as possible.

- Keith Richards

It really began with the Beatles' Revolver album. It was the beginning of an appeal to the intellect. Once you could tell how well a group was doing by the reaction to their sex appeal but the days of the hysteria are fading and for that reason there will never be a new Stones or a new Beatles. We are moving after minds and so are most of the new groups.

- Mick Jagger, September 1967

There are lots of easy things to listen to like Sing This All Together. As an album I don't think it's as far out as Sgt. Pepper. It's primarily an album to listen to but I don't feel people will think we've gone totally round the bend because of that.

- Mick Jagger, 1967

Yes, of course the album is a very personal thing. But the Beatles are just as introspective. You have to remember that our entire lives have been affected lately by social-political influences. You have to expect those things to come out in our work. In a way songs like 2000 Light Years from Home are prophetic, not at all introvert. They are the things we believe to be happening and will happen. Changes in values and attitudes.

- Brian Jones, 1967

With Satanic Majesties it seemed they felt something clever was expected of them because they had this tremendous rivalry with the Beatles. I think they felt that if the Beatles did something they had to do something equally good. With Satanic Majesties they were trying to impress, to compete. But throughout all (the Stones') albums there's this incredible black feeling which is natural.

- Mick Taylor, who first met the Stones
during the recording of the album, 1979

I probably started to take too many drugs... (I)t's not very good. It had interesting things on it, but I don't think any of the songs are very good. It's a bit like Between The Buttons. It's a sound experience, really, rather than a song experience. There's two good songs on it: She's A Rainbow, which we didn't do on the last tour, although we almost did, and 2000 Light Years from Home, which we did do. The rest of them are nonsense... I think we were just taking too much acid. We were just getting carried away, just thinking anything you did was fun and everyone should listen to it. The whole thing we were on acid... Also, we did it to piss Andrew (Oldham) off, because he was such a pain in the neck. Because he didn't understand it. The more we wanted to unload him, we decided to go on this path to alienate him.

- Mick Jagger, 1995

peace

Superb post nat. smileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 20, 2015 04:31

Silver Dagger
Superb post nat. smileys with beerthumbs up

Thanks Dagger but most of the credit has to go to Ian McPherson who's hard work and amazing research has made the timeisonourside site such a valuable resource.

peace

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 20, 2015 05:57

I like it a lot. It is definitely down towards the bottom half of my Stones albums in terms of preference, but that is because they have so many great albums. Sing This All Together (See What Happens) is definitely 'skip' material, but all the rest are very good songs, or better.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 20, 2015 06:19

It almost destroyed the band. The Stones do best under pressure, and their most spectacular successes often come on the heels of their most spectacular failures. Perhaps the disaster that was this album gave Keith the kick in the pants that was needed to get the golden era kicked off.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 20, 2015 11:40

Blueranger
I wish people could stop comparing it to Sgt. Pepper.

It's almost in direct contrast to that album, though it was clearly inspired by it. But that doesn't mean that it should not be listened to on it's own terms, the terms of The Rolling Stones.

As a Stones record, nothing is like it, before or since and therefore it is something really special. It does not contain their best collection of individual songs, but as a whole it has a certain aura to it.

This album was from the times were the band took chances and did some adventurous music. No doubt what came after it were better, but they couldn't have have made Beggars -> Exile, without exploring other genres, before returning to what they did best and better than most.

Even Jumping Jack Flash has it's origins in this record. It's an important record in Stones history.

Finally, the voice of reason. thumbs up

Much rather hearing them take chances and experiment on TSMR than rely on tired formulas, as on every album after Steel Wheels.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: June 20, 2015 13:25

50% surprisingly good. Much better than Between the Buttons, for one thing.
And then 50% horribly, horribly, embarassingly bad. Even worse than the worst on Between the Buttons. Even worse than Dirty Work.
If instead of those 50% pure horse manure, they would have put "We Love You", "Child Of The Moon" and "Dandelion" it would have been a good album.

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: June 20, 2015 13:50

If they had put We Love You, Dandelion, Jumpin Jack Flash on the album instead of Sing Together and Gomper it would have been a GREAT album. I remember when it first came out we didnt consider it a poor copy of Sergeant Pepper, but a RnR version of it instead. And far better. There would have been no BB or SF without.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 20, 2015 15:39

All over Satanic you can hear Keith hunting for the sounds he'd be using on Beggars.
That right there is worth the price of admission.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 20, 2015 16:25

Jos
If they had put We Love You, Dandelion, Jumpin Jack Flash on the album instead of Sing Together and Gomper it would have been a GREAT album. I remember when it first came out we didnt consider it a poor copy of Sergeant Pepper, but a RnR version of it instead. And far better. There would have been no BB or SF without.

And "Child Of The Moon" ...........but even with out all these songs I still love the record....I bought the record after Beggars and Bleed so I was a bit confused back then I only knew 2000LYFH as a single

Date: June 20, 2015 16:41

Yes, the album could have benefited from We Love You, Dandelion, and Child Of The Moon in place of the long Sing This All Together and Gomper. But even without them its still a more solid record than people give it credit for. As good as those songs are, they don't quite fit the theme of the record and would have definitely changed it. Made it better, but also lose a bit of the luster the experimental album has. My bottom line is that those 3 songs wouldn't really change the album THAT much if you don't already like most of it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 20, 2015 16:53

As for "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" this record has some outstanding songs but also some confused smiley Getting Better, Good Morning Good Morning and Within You Without You and even Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! ain't outstanding song.

This review is what I felt in 1971 when I bought this record actually they are essential for Sgt. Pepper cool smiley

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 20, 2015 16:59

Great album! but how could they have put JJF and COLM on this one?

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: June 20, 2015 17:08

MingSubu
Always wanted to visit wherever they are on the cover. Seems like a pretty far out place.

This and Let It Bleed's album covers are a couple of my favorites.

You can visit it here (in pictures) : [www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home