Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: ALBUM TALK: Aftermath UK
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:10

buttons67
might be wrong but i think aftermath is a reference to what happens after an all out nuclear attack.

in the 50,s and 60,s the cold war was ongoing with usa and the soviets building bigger bombs that could destroy the planet, the cuba crisis being a major event in the cold war, it seemed that a nuclear war was a distinct possibility and a major theme of those days.

one of the stones early albums makes reference to getting higher than the bomb and taking this record with you.

I think you're reading too much into it, they'd just finished mowing the lawn.

[dictionary.reference.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:18

aftermath
[af-ter-math, ahf-]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

noun
something that results or follows from an event, especially one of a disastrous or unfortunate nature; consequence:
the aftermath of war; the aftermath of the flood.
a new growth of grass following one or more mowings, which may be grazed, mowed, or plowed under.

So obviously this refers to dope...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 6, 2015 02:31

Deltics
buttons67
might be wrong but i think aftermath is a reference to what happens after an all out nuclear attack.

in the 50,s and 60,s the cold war was ongoing with usa and the soviets building bigger bombs that could destroy the planet, the cuba crisis being a major event in the cold war, it seemed that a nuclear war was a distinct possibility and a major theme of those days.

one of the stones early albums makes reference to getting higher than the bomb and taking this record with you.

I think you're reading too much into it, they'd just finished mowing the lawn.

[dictionary.reference.com]

i think it refers to the aftermath after the british invasion. the beatles and then everyone else transformed pop culture with the british invasion. after a year or two then it was like, well, what's next?

the stones document the aftermath of the british invasion with this album. they talk about their newfound power over women (stupid girl, lady jane, out of time, under my thumb ) , their travels (flight 505, going home), and how confusing life is when it's transformed so much (what to do, think, it's not easy, etc.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-06 02:31 by Turner68.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 20, 2015 20:00

All tracks are written by Jagger/Richards for the first time. Only one track is worthy their merits as guitar driven Rhythm and Blues Band (Doncha Bother Me). Under My Thumb is without any doubt a great classic track, but what's the matter with Brian? Why in hell this awkward marimbaphone? Why not the classic second guitar? So the potential of the song wasn't brought to light until the tours 69/81-82. Actually it is Ronnie's merit to unravel its mysteries 81-82. Interesting the 12 minutes Going Home, but due to the lack of sufficient skills on guitar it is a little bit boring. It would be a paradise for Mick Taylor I think. Over all the guitars are unfortunately thin and without energy. The lack of guitar energy goes hand in hand with Brian's goodbye to rhythm guitar and his strange turn to exotic instruments never used in Rock and Blues so far. Aftermath is the first step (of three in a row) into the Pop abyss ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-08 13:37 by RobertJohnson.

Date: June 20, 2015 20:42

It's Not Easy, Flight 505 and Stupid Girl are just as guitar-driven as Doncha Bother Me.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 20, 2015 20:51

Nice to see all releases of this album have good dynamic range and it has not suffered from the DR compression so prevalent on many other remastered records. thumbs up

[dr.loudness-war.info]

peace

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 23, 2015 14:36

its funny i forgot all about this album. its brilliant really. seems a little dated just now but shows the song writing chemistry starting to flourish..

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 26, 2019 01:39

In order to give this marvellous album some attention, I will give its individual songs scores in tabloid fashion out of maximum 10, as thought from this moment. At another moment, probably slightly changed scores. For a Norwegian, it is, of course, the UK version that counts.

AFTERMATH
Released: April 1966

Mother's Little Helper [8,5 /10]
Stupid Girl [8,5/10]
Lady Jane [10/10]
Under My Thumb [9,5/10]
Doncha Bother Me [9,5/10]
Going Home [10/10]
Flight 505 [9/10]
High and Dry [9/10]
Out of Time [10*/10] read as "10 plus one star"
It's Not Easy [8,5/10]
I Am Waiting [10/10]
Take It Or Leave It [10/10]
Think [9,5/10]
What to Do [9,5/10]

In other words, AFTERMATH (UK) is one of approximately 12 great Stones albums in my opinion, even if I never dare to give albums from different years such tabloid scores as a whole. I would not be able to do that in a consistent manner.For album scores will be a combined estimation of an album' s individual songs and the context, which they are parts of.

Latest edit: Correction of a misprint

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 02:11 by Witness.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 26, 2019 01:51

Witness
In order to give this marvellous album some attention, I will give its individual songs scores in tabloid fashion out of maximum 10, as thought from this moment. At another moment, probably slightly changed scores. For a Norwegian, it is, of course, the UK version that counts.

AFTERMATH
Released: April 1966

Out of Time [10*/10] read as "10 plus one star"

In other words, AFTERMSTH (UK) is one of approximately 12 great Stones albums in my opinion, even if I never dare to give albums from different years such tabloid scores as a whole. I would not be able to do that in a consistent manner.For album scores will be a combined estimation of an album' s individual songs and the context, which they are parts of.

Absolutely agree on this one!smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2019 01:54

The UK MONO is essential
though Out Of Time trimmed about 20secs....
Ya gotta get UK Stereo for full soak of Out Of Time …….

You're obsolete, my baby
My poor old-fashioned baby
I said baby, baby, baby, you're out of time
…….LD

ROCKMAN

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 26, 2019 02:05

The best Brian Jones album in my opinion.

Date: February 26, 2019 02:07

Rockman
The UK MONO is essential
though Out Of Time trimmed about 20secs....
Ya gotta get UK Stereo for full soak of Out Of Time …….

You're obsolete, my baby
My poor old-fashioned baby
I said baby, baby, baby, you're out of time
…….LD

The first AFTERMATH that I bought, became damaged at one point, so I had to buy a new one after several years, still many years ago. What I have got, is indicated as SKDL 4786 Stereo. But I seem to remember that the first record was stereo as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 02:08 by Witness.

Date: February 26, 2019 02:52

black n blue

To me that is a difficult one. I like BETWEEN THE BUTTONS even a little better (maybe the album that I am most fond of) , without ranking I adore THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES REQUEST, and then there is their emphatic debut album (UK). Besides, as that was the form I ( a little delayed) met the two early studio EPs (minus one song) plus a few vital singles, I have always considered the German Decca compilation AROUND AND AROUND as an album. An absolutely splendid record as such.

All of which means that I belong to those, who don't consider '68-'72 as their one and only peak period, but that there were as many as four peak periods. Brian Jones takes fully part in the two first peak periods. 1) the R&B band. 2) their progressive pop albums (three in number) , plus their many "noisy" grand '60s singles. Besides, Brian Jones contributes to the first of the '68-'72 studio albums as the third peak period. (The fourth period I hold to be the Pathe Marconi albums , minus TATTOO YOU, which to me, maybe somewhat controversially, does not at all belong to their great albums).

Late edit: Correction of a fatal misprint.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-26 11:34 by Witness.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 26, 2019 10:05

To date the UK version is in my top three albums of all time, by any band.

Mathijs

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: February 26, 2019 10:42

black n blue

I am assuming that you don't count Beggars Banquet, so, yes, in that case I agree. Although, their first and Out Of Their Heads are very good too, but of course Brain has a less special role in those.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 26, 2019 12:18

Naturalust
Anybody have a clue what the significance of the title "Aftermath" is ? What was the big event that this is the Aftermath of? The previous record? The amazing tours of 1965? The Stones first use of drugs?

peace

From wikipedia:
During the recording, Oldham wanted to title the album Could You Walk on the Water?[31] The idea upset the heads of the Rolling Stones' American distributor, London Records, who feared a negative response from Christians.[32] The title controversy embroiled the band in a conflict with their British record label, Decca, over lack of creative control,[31] delaying the album's release.[33] Oldham's proposed title was coupled with the idea of producing a deluxe gatefold featuring six pages of colour photos from the Rolling Stones' preceding American tour and a cover depicting the band walking atop a California reservoir. It was ultimately rejected by Decca, and according to Davis, "in the bitterness (over lack of control of their work) that followed, the album was called Aftermath for want of another concept."

Date: February 26, 2019 12:33

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 26, 2019 13:31

matxil
Out Of Their Heads are very good too, but of course Brain has a less special role in those.

An odd thing to say. His guitar and harmonica playing is an important part of those albums.

Date: February 26, 2019 14:02

His Majesty
matxil
Out Of Their Heads are very good too, but of course Brain has a less special role in those.

An odd thing to say. His guitar and harmonica playing is an important part of those albums.

Sure, of course. But it's only after Aftermath that he started to pick up "weird" instruments. But yes, his harmonica playing was great before too. As far as guitars are concerned, I never really know who is Keith and who is Brian in that period. I always assumed Keith played the riff in Last Time and it turned out to be Brian.

Aftermath....your opinion of this lp
Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 1, 2023 05:35

Just listened to this great lp.I think the tracks are all very well done.

Re: Aftermath....your opinion of this lp
Date: September 1, 2023 05:37

Mono UK version rules .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 1, 2023 05:52

I am used to the US version, to me it's always been an overrated Stones album. Nothing terrible, however there are far too many average tracks, imo: Doncha Bother Me, Think, Flight 505, High & Dry, Going Home. I much prefer all the previous albums, Hitmakers, Now, 12x5, etc.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 06:30

My favourite 60s Stones album! First album of all Jagger/Richards songs and a move away from the bluesy influence of the earlier albums, which set them apart from their contemporaries.
Brian was at his peak for the album, with all the exotic instruments sitting around RCA Studios in Hollywood that he picked up and learned but unfortunately the beginning of his losing interest in guitar, but his contributions really elevated the songs. Sitar on PIB, dulcimer on Lady Jane, marimbas on Under My Thumb and Out of Time, harmonica on Going Home and High and Dry, etc.
Grew up with the North American version that had PIB but like the Euro version more. Love the front cover of the NA version. The Euro version had the band's heads used on the Flowers album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 1, 2023 06:37

Love it, agree with Rman, in mono.

Stand out uber-deep cut, "I Am Waiting".

Date: September 1, 2023 11:00

More opinions of Aftermath in the Aftermath album talk: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:16

The stereo UK version remains in my top 3 of albums. All tracks except for Going Home are fabulous.

Mathijs

Date: September 1, 2023 11:32

Mathijs
The stereo UK version remains in my top 3 of albums. All tracks except for Going Home are fabulous.

Mathijs

Going Home is cute, but indeed the weakest song on Aftermath. The rest (of the UK album) I all find good to great. It's their first album of that period where they tried to be a pop band (albeit still with clear blues influences) and the only one of those 3 that actually is good (Between the B. is horrible and half of Their Satanic is pure hell).
I wouldn't say it's in my top 3 or even top 6, but it might be at number 7 or 8, which is still very high for a band like the Stones.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: September 1, 2023 11:43

UK Mono all the way.

Track-wise, I’ve always found it way too long.
Going Home is a drag for the last 5 minutes.
That they nixed Ride On Baby and Sittin’ On A Fence in favour of songs like Take It Or Leave It and a going-nowhere rocker like It’s Not Easy, I will never understand.

I’ve always found the 2 following albums, Between The Buttons and Satanic Majesties, better, more consistent and interesting.
However, I DO get that Aftermath is a very important Stones album, song-wise, sonic-wise and development-wise.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 1, 2023 12:26

For me aftermath is too neat so not rough enough for a Rolling Stones Album.
The same goes for Between The Buttons, although Back Street Girl is a pearl and beauty of a ballad.
The Rolling Stones from 1963 to 1965 are a raw Rhythm and Blues band.
The Rolling Stones 1966 / 1967 too neat for the band they are today.
The Rolling Stones 1967 Their Satanic Majesties request is a search for what we want to do as a group.
The Rolling Stones 1968 until now is the group that stands like a house.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 1, 2023 12:36

UK. Mono/stereo, I dont care. I dig everything. cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home