Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 32 of 33
Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 06:05

StonesHood
sweet neo con
i'm sure each venue is different but has anybody here been hassled for bringing in (& snapping pics) with a point & shoot style camera? I will be taking my sony H7 to the Milwaukee show.

Point and Shoot fine. This is what was said to the 2 people (who had asked) I saw turned away in Columbus before entering because of their zoom lenses.

Interestingly I saw two folks right near me on the floor who had DSlR's with zoom lenses...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: June 2, 2015 07:35

I am happy that are still together, however, no new music and a set list
that has been exhausted for several years, is it not about time to inject some
fresh water into this stale pond?

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 08:12

Naturalust
Turner68
Nikkei
video: [www.youtube.com]

Perhaps this ought to clear things up a little

yes, what i hear is charlie holding it all together despite the best efforts of keith's solos. there are a couple bars where he seems like he doesn't hit on the back beat but i don't hear him moving to the 1 and 3 at any point.

It's actually pretty hard to decipher what's going on, Charlie indeed does play on the 1 and 3 at times to emphasize the guitar licks and such and sometimes he's playing on all the beats again as if to re-establish the groove. With his generous fills and such on this tune it is hard figure out exactly what he is doing. But this better recording does indeed show that if he got off it wasn't for very long like I first stated. Thanks for the corrections.

His playing on this version is much easier to comprehend, of course the good mix helps. But the whole band seemed considerably tighter and Charlie looks like he's having a blast. The Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Charlie rhythm section was locked and smoking. Damn.

peace

Ahh, NL, hard to even know where to begin in comparing the L&G "Bitch" to the 2015 "Bitch." (And I know that wasn't your purpose in posting the video from 1972.)

I cannot resist one off-the-beaten-track observation, though:

To my ears, one of the biggest differences is Jagger. How long has it been since he's SUNG like that? On those (relatively) tiny '69 and '72 stages, when he still had a depth, a growl, a menace in his voice, and he didn't have to patrol hundreds of meters of catwalks ... man, that boy could deliver!

I know he was never considered a "technically" proficient vocalist. But it's sure nice that when you get tired of hearing his thin, clipped barking during the last few decades, you can always turn to stuff like the video you posted to revel in rock's greatest frontman.

(And, yes, of course, I acknowledge that Mick is today an aerobic freak of nature and has seemed in many ways--other than in the quality of his vocals--to have stopped time.)

Date: June 2, 2015 08:35

Well it's getting a little old hearing all this rubbish about tarps and the Stones not selling out stadiums anymore. I was at Columbus row 25 Ronnies side, seat 1 directly bedside the Catwalk and the Stones put on one hell of a show! Looking behind me the stadium was obviously full. The Stones are really bringing it to the fans Ok maybe not the hardcore fans on the message boards who constant whine about the stadium shows, set lists and tickets not selling etc.etc. Thank God the Stones are in charge. Its was great hearing the average local fan talk about seeing the Stones in the past at venues in Ohio. Plenty of familys, kids too. Tickets could be had at face value for $39.50 that's the same price as Voodoo lounge lower priced tickets in 1994 and pepole are still bitching. I am glad people who love the Stones who can't afford to pay $200+ per ticket and have the expense of traveling to some expensive major market city for an arena show like LA/ Chicago/ NY get to see them. The Stadium shows will all sell out and thousands of local fans who love the Stones will get a chance to see them at a price they can afford. Of course the Stones and the promoter get their cut too. To me that's a win win situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 08:36 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 2, 2015 10:15

I think that, actually, the Stones is one of the VERY FEW acts which can still sellout stadiums in North America. Just look at current Billboard Boxscore and you see how many fanous artists/bands cannot sellout, not stadiums, but arenas and even venues of 5,000 or 3,000 capacity... Very difficult days for the music industry, I think (not only in North America, of course).

Under these conditions, it's amazing not the fact that the Stones fill stadiums (it's the Stones...), but the fact that they do it by THESE ticket prices...

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 2, 2015 10:47

Did someone mention no Midnight Rambler yet ?

Found this audio which is not bad.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 2, 2015 11:59

bv
If somebody can make a list of the best available videos then I may link these up to the set list of the reports pages. This goes for both this show as well as for the San Diego show. Then it will be much esier to find the videos.

All I need is the show name and the song title plus the address of the recommended link. I would need a complete list, or near complete, as I don't have time to do many updates/changes.

Feel free to make a complete list here, then give me a "go" when it is time to do an update. Thanks!

There you go, courtesy of Stonesmuziekfan on Hotstuff..............

San Diego 24.5.2015 ........ [www.iorr.org]

Columbus 30.5.2015 ........... [www.iorr.org]

Date: June 2, 2015 13:12

Great MR, Tony! Thanks for posting thumbs up

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: June 2, 2015 16:17

crawdaddy

a vacuous mess sorely missing a guitar player who can play lead guitar. musically dire compared to the last few years. Needs dropping and a replaced with a song. Stones cant mix it up anymore on their own goin off the few MR post Taylor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 16:22 by Captainchaos.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 2, 2015 16:19

LongBeachArena72
Naturalust
Turner68
Nikkei

yes, what i hear is charlie holding it all together despite the best efforts of keith's solos. there are a couple bars where he seems like he doesn't hit on the back beat but i don't hear him moving to the 1 and 3 at any point.

It's actually pretty hard to decipher what's going on, Charlie indeed does play on the 1 and 3 at times to emphasize the guitar licks and such and sometimes he's playing on all the beats again as if to re-establish the groove. With his generous fills and such on this tune it is hard figure out exactly what he is doing. But this better recording does indeed show that if he got off it wasn't for very long like I first stated. Thanks for the corrections.

His playing on this version is much easier to comprehend, of course the good mix helps. But the whole band seemed considerably tighter and Charlie looks like he's having a blast. The Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Charlie rhythm section was locked and smoking. Damn.

peace

Ahh, NL, hard to even know where to begin in comparing the L&G "Bitch" to the 2015 "Bitch." (And I know that wasn't your purpose in posting the video from 1972.)

To my ears, one of the biggest differences is Jagger. How long has it been since he's SUNG like that? On those (relatively) tiny '69 and '72 stages, when he still had a depth, a growl, a menace in his voice, and he didn't have to patrol hundreds of meters of catwalks ... man, that boy could deliver!

I know he was never considered a "technically" proficient vocalist. But it's sure nice that when you get tired of hearing his thin, clipped barking during the last few decades, you can always turn to stuff like the video you posted to revel in rock's greatest frontman.

(And, yes, of course, I acknowledge that Mick is today an aerobic freak of nature and has seemed in many ways--other than in the quality of his vocals--to have stopped time.)

THIS. THIS. THIS.

I have said for years that Mick sings better when he is tethered to a mic. The same applies to the bstage. Less room to move around. The band is mere feet from the audience. No wonder the bstage was so hot. You can't screw up as badly when you are that close to your audience, and not walking around a massive stage.

Date: June 2, 2015 16:30

Captainchaos
crawdaddy

a vacuous mess sorely missing a guitar player who can play lead guitar. musically dire compared to the last few years. Needs dropping and a replaced with a song. Stones cant mix it up anymore on their own goin off the few MR post Taylor.

Why don't you join our IORR-band and show us how's it's supposed to be done?

Date: June 2, 2015 16:46

I thought that version of MR in the Ronnie Wood style was great.

Different to Mick Taylor obviously ,but still damned good.

It is a Stones song played The Stones way and always comes out great in my opinion. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 16:46 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 2, 2015 16:50

Midnight Rambler was an absolute cooker in Columbus.
It should NEVER leave the setlist.
EVER.

The reason for its enormous live success is DEFINTITELY because of Mick.
Jagger, that is.

(I'm sure captainnachos was just trolling above, but I had to jump in.)

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 17:02

yes

Date: June 2, 2015 17:02

It seems by reports that Mick played a blinder in his performance at Columbus on MR. smileys with beer

Posted by: RS ()
Date: June 2, 2015 17:05

bv
Updated reports and pictures on the reports pages from Columbus Ohio : [www.iorr.org]

Those are so cool bv! Were you there?

-RS

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 2, 2015 20:22

Why did they play "Hang On Sloopy" ?

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:16

Koen
Why did they play "Hang On Sloopy" ?

It's a song that is played at every OSU football game and pretty much every Cleveland Indians baseball game too. Huge OHIO tradition.
It went over EXTREMELY well in Columbus!

From wiki:
The song has also become a feature at the home games of professional sports teams throughout Ohio where, as is the case at Ohio State, fans usually chant the letters "O, H, I, O" during the pauses in the chorus while mimicking the shape of the letters with their arms and is normally played during the transition from the 3rd quarter to the 4th quarter at Ohio Stadium.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 2, 2015 22:22

Thanks for the explanation.

Mimicking the letter shapes with your arms sounds like a lot of fun, it's like the YMCA song. thumbs up

Date: June 3, 2015 00:41

flacnvinyl
LongBeachArena72
Naturalust
Turner68
Nikkei

peace

THIS. THIS. THIS.

I have said for years that Mick sings better when he is tethered to a mic. The same applies to the bstage. Less room to move around. The band is mere feet from the audience. No wonder the bstage was so hot. You can't screw up as badly when you are that close to your audience, and not walking around a massive stage.

I'm not expecting him to sing like he did 45 years ago--age caught up with Mick's vocal chords long ago. Very few popular singers actually "refine" or "adapt" their techniques as they age. Sinatra comes to mind, with his comback on Capitol in the 50's. Perhaps there are a few others who became maybe not "better" with age but at least interesting in how they adapted their vocalizings to the realities of Father Time.

Mick obviously made a very shrewd decision at some point: I will become the greatest showman the world has ever seen, vocals be damned. Given his success on the road for decades now, it was clearly not a bad trade-off!

But, oh, how I miss those days when he would actually SING a lyric and you could feel the pain, heartache, anger, defiance, and sexiness in his song. Now, and I know this is a horribly unfair image, he's become the world's fittest 71-year-old barking seal (exaggerating for effect, of course).

Perhaps a lot of this just comes down to sound vs. spectacle: what the band and singer SOUND like, what kind of MUSIC they make together, as opposed to the potent combination of adrenaline rush and nostalgia that they currently provide on stage.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 3, 2015 00:54

LongBeachArena72
But, oh, how I miss those days when he would actually SING a lyric and you could feel the pain, heartache, anger, defiance, and sexiness in his song. Now, and I know this is a horribly unfair image, he's become the world's fittest 71-year-old barking seal (exaggerating for effect, of course).

He actually hinted that he was moving toward that more emotional singing style in San Diego, I was more than delighted, then he seemed to swing the other direction for Columbus. Hoping that he still has it in him to leave the barking to the seals and find that purely musical and emotional delivery again. Mick is pretty amazing and I get the feeling if anyone can pull it off it's him. (even if he is only acting at this point). smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 3, 2015 00:56

After listening to the recording of this show, I feel indifferent, there are some rough spots like Keith hitting the Bm chord too early during Wild Horses, but overall this was a totally acceptable concert occasionally filled with some energy.

Some highlights:
Let's Spend The Night Together: Charmingly ragged and inspired
Bitch: GREAT guitar interaction between Keith and Ronnie
Midnight Rambler: I enjoy this song so much more when I don't have to endure the sound of Taylor playing an unseemly solo over Jagger's singing.
Wild Horses: Worn out? Maybe, but it has not felt this moving and plaintive in ages.

And a few disgusting lowlights...:
Honky Tonk Women: They sound so tired of playing this one that I almost feel sorry for them.
It's Only Rock N Roll: Oh... so unbelievably stale, some more effort is needed to make this one come alive I'm afraid. Worst version they've ever played?
Paint It Black: They successfully avoided playing a rare song and instead did a hideous version of an overrated warhorse...

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 3, 2015 01:05

Another highlight is Keith sneaking the Honky Tonk Women Solo into his performance of Before They Make Me Run grinning smiley

Posted by: Keef551 ()
Date: June 3, 2015 01:10

I think I'll let the Stones be the Stones. Don't let your expectations exceed your gratitude. Could you imagine the Beatles putting on kick ass shows today? The Stones are a gift. Don't look 'em in the mouth. IMHO.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: June 3, 2015 01:30

<<But, oh, how I miss those days when he would actually SING a lyric and you could feel the pain, heartache, anger, defiance, and sexiness in his song. >>

Don't know about anyone else but I felt some of those whenever I heard him sing Worried About You in Europe last year. Not that long after he lost his love.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 3, 2015 01:34

EasterMan
After listening to the recording of this show, I feel indifferent, there are some rough spots like Keith hitting the Bm chord too early during Wild Horses, but overall this was a totally acceptable concert occasionally filled with some energy.

Some highlights:
Let's Spend The Night Together: Charmingly ragged and inspired
Bitch: GREAT guitar interaction between Keith and Ronnie
Midnight Rambler: I enjoy this song so much more when I don't have to endure the sound of Taylor playing an unseemly solo over Jagger's singing.
Wild Horses: Worn out? Maybe, but it has not felt this moving and plaintive in ages.

And a few disgusting lowlights...:
Honky Tonk Women: They sound so tired of playing this one that I almost feel sorry for them.
It's Only Rock N Roll: Oh... so unbelievably stale, some more effort is needed to make this one come alive I'm afraid. Worst version they've ever played?
Paint It Black: They successfully avoided playing a rare song and instead did a hideous version of an overrated warhorse...

Wow- you mentioned the exact three tunes that I feel need a face-lift. From my perspective, since the Stones re-grouped in 1989, I have not been happy with the way they have played Honky Tonk Women. It is probably Chuck's piano solo that has killed this tune for me. But on any given night, it just sounds flat and so removed from the originally recorded version. Maybe they should shorten it again because the added solo and verse loses stream at the end. It's Only Rock and Roll needs a transfusion. It is a great rocker if it is played up tempo with passion and energy. When I last saw the Stones in Toronto in May 2013, even with Carrie Underwood aboard as special guest, I thought the tune was tepid. But my vote for the single, biggest tune that needs to be ditched from the setlist entirely goes to..... Paint It Black! IMHO, they have not done that song justice since arguably the No Security Tour. It is another tune that needs to be played at a faster clip with a tad (LOL) more inspiration from MJ.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: June 3, 2015 04:39

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

He actually hinted that he was moving toward that more emotional singing style in San Diego, I was more than delighted, then he seemed to swing the other direction for Columbus. Hoping that he still has it in him to leave the barking to the seals and find that purely musical and emotional delivery again. Mick is pretty amazing and I get the feeling if anyone can pull it off it's him. (even if he is only acting at this point). smoking smiley

peace

I thought he sounded quite good on Moonlight Mile in San Diego. I wasn't at Columbus to compare other songs.

Date: June 3, 2015 06:39

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

peace

I don't think "acting" is necessarily a bad thing, in this context. Many of the greatest vocalists "act" the persona they inhabit. But the proof is in the conviction, the dedication to the act. Mick runs around a lot. That's what he does. I enjoyed what I heard of "Moonlight Mile" from San Diego because he stood there and sung, dammit!

Date: June 3, 2015 06:40

JadedFaded
Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

peace

I thought he sounded quite good on Moonlight Mile in San Diego. I wasn't at Columbus to compare other songs.

I agree about MM in SD. Nice performance.

Date: June 3, 2015 06:42

Beast
<<But, oh, how I miss those days when he would actually SING a lyric and you could feel the pain, heartache, anger, defiance, and sexiness in his song. >>

Don't know about anyone else but I felt some of those whenever I heard him sing Worried About You in Europe last year. Not that long after he lost his love.

Those renditions don't stick out in my mind ... but now that you've mentioned them I'll go back and check them out!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 32 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home