Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 31 of 33
Re: Columbus OH USA 30-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:31

brokecollegestudent
mnewman505
Turner68
are you going to change your name to "brokercollegestudent"?
lol

Sure why not, I am taking economics classes lol.

But I have a job and found a deal on stubhub. Plus I am splitting the ticket price with my date. smiling smiley you just have to be crafty sometimes.

i agree - craft is king!
glad you're going. make sure your date picks up a stones t shirt for you too :-)

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:32

i'm sure each venue is different but has anybody here been hassled for bringing in (& snapping pics) with a point & shoot style camera? I will be taking my sony H7 to the Milwaukee show.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:33

Naturalust
Just look at the video and count out the beats. Charlie starts with the normal 2 and 4 backbeats
and by the second verse he's on the 1's and 3's.

Maybe they were aiming at re-enacting an elusive aspect of the studio version of Bitch,
in which the beat gets turned around (well, sort of!) during Keith's solo

angee
Onlystones is a "he," no?

Are you sure? Cloudcat is onto something if you ask me :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 23:10 by with sssoul.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:54

if you could hear the entire concert properly on youtube i could save myself a few thousand dollars this summer.

when i listen to those audience recordings,whether recorded on a cellphone or the old ones with a casette player hidden under a coat i always think the same thing "this must've sounded really good in real life"

san diego and columbus have both been outdoors and in my experience any open air show has great sound,it doesnt have a roof to bounce off of and it just carries really well.

if its loud enough it can bounce around in the lower decks though.one of the times i saw zep i was under the upper deck and it sounded like crap-only to hear everyone else i talked to say how amazing the sound was.

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 22:54

jumpingjackflash68
video: [www.youtube.com]

The Complete Concert from

Columbus OH., 30.5.2015

in EXCELLENT AUDIENCE QUALITY!!!

Many thanks for sharing this link, jff. Will be nice to relive it!

Date: June 1, 2015 22:56

Naturalust
mnewman505
That video of Bitch sounds nothing like what I heard where I was standing, is it possible that what you're hearing is really distortion, reverb, and the sound bouncing around a giant concrete stadium as opposed to Charlie actually screwing up?

Yes no doubt the sound quality of that video leaves much to be desired but even taking that into account, something else is going on. And the video is really what gives it away, watch Charlie.

Nikkei
@Naturalust could it be caused by some kind of monitor delay? Such things might happen if the FOH is in an "off-zone", which seemed the case several times due to the vast venue.

No the monitor mix comes from the line signals on stage and is totally separate from the FOH mix. Delays which would cause a whole beat difference would never be used on monitor signals.

Just look at the video and count out the beats. Charlie starts with the normal 2 and 4 backbeats and by the second verse he's on the 1's and 3's. I'm not picking on Charlie here, love the guy, just pointing out a rather obvious disconnect in the music here. It's pretty amazing Keith stayed on track, it's seems Ronnie was more distracted by it. It's possible that's what he went over to director Chuck, to try to understand what was happening.

peace

Guess they need a click track that emphasizes the 2nd and 4th beats.... Sigh...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 1, 2015 23:24

with sssoul

angee
Onlystones is a "he," no?

Are you sure? Cloudcat is onto something if you ask me :E

I was sure, but hey, maybe it bears looking into.
Re-reading your other comment, btw, I see what you are saying now. Maybe the original joke was
lost on me. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 2, 2015 00:07

Naturalust
Though I'd bring this discussion over to where it belongs.

This version of Bitch seems to go off the rails a bit at the start of the second verse. It seems to me one of the reasons it that Charlie gets off by a whole beat and is hitting the normal backbeat 2 and 4 snare drum on the 1 and 3. He doesn't recover till near the very end.

Comments from the musicians here are welcome on this. It's rare we see Charlie losing it for so long and this is what seems to happen when he does. Shows just how important he is to the success of the tunes.

peace

No, no, no. Nothing wrong with Charlie. That video is being taken with a zoom from about 100 yards away in a football stadium. The delay that it takes for the sound to reach the person filming creates the impression that Charlie is "off beat" but he definitely isn't. I can hear it in the audio (although it's a little tough because the sound on that video is poor), and I am sure that someone will post another clip with better sound so that others can hear it as well.

Charlie's fine.

Date: June 2, 2015 00:11

Here you go. Audio only from someone with a better location. Bitch sounds great, and Charlie is right on the beat. That video you posted is taken from a mile away - at the beginning, you can tell because the video zooms waaayyyy in from across the field.

Posted by: StonesHood ()
Date: June 2, 2015 00:13

sweet neo con
i'm sure each venue is different but has anybody here been hassled for bringing in (& snapping pics) with a point & shoot style camera? I will be taking my sony H7 to the Milwaukee show.

Point and Shoot fine. This is what was said to the 2 people (who had asked) I saw turned away in Columbus before entering because of their zoom lenses.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 2, 2015 00:22

drbryant
Naturalust

This version of Bitch seems to go off the rails a bit at the start of the second verse. It seems to me one of the reasons it that Charlie gets off by a whole beat and is hitting the normal backbeat 2 and 4 snare drum on the 1 and 3. He doesn't recover till near the very end.

Comments from the musicians here are welcome on this. It's rare we see Charlie losing it for so long and this is what seems to happen when he does. Shows just how important he is to the success of the tunes.

peace

No, no, no. Nothing wrong with Charlie. That video is being taken with a zoom from about 100 yards away in a football stadium. The delay that it takes for the sound to reach the person filming creates the impression that Charlie is "off beat" but he definitely isn't. I can hear it in the audio (although it's a little tough because the sound on that video is poor), and I am sure that someone will post another clip with better sound so that others can hear it as well.

Charlie's fine.

Then why are his snare beats at totally different places in the beginning and end of the song? Also Micks vocals are synced up with the video and Charlies fills seem to reach the camera at the right time so this argument doesn't really stand up, imo.

Although I do agree Charlie is fine, he just seemed to get a bit mixed up for this tune.

peace

Date: June 2, 2015 00:27

Naturalust
drbryant
Naturalust

peace

Charlie's fine.

Then why are his snare beats at totally different places in the beginning and end of the song? Also Micks vocals are synced up with the video and Charlies fills seem to reach the camera at the right time so this argument doesn't really stand up, imo.

Although I do agree Charlie is fine, he just seemed to get a bit mixed up for this tune.

peace

agreed naturalist.

dr. bryant, all sound travels at the same speed for our purposes. it's ludicrous to suggest that because the person recording is far away charlie's beats are in a different place in the song than up close.

if we were talking about a discrepancy between what we see and what we hear, that would be fair, because sound travels slower than light. but we're not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 00:28 by Turner68.

Date: June 2, 2015 00:33

drbryant
Naturalust

peace

Charlie's fine.

I believe so, too.

Posted by: Amy340 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 01:14

Point and shoot cameras are fine, they just don't want professional cameras. I have been fine using mine, even front row in the pit and in Paris front row last summer.

Date: June 2, 2015 01:18

Turner68
Naturalust
drbryant
Naturalust

peace

Charlie's fine.

peace

agreed naturalist.

dr. bryant, all sound travels at the same speed for our purposes. it's ludicrous to suggest that because the person recording is far away charlie's beats are in a different place in the song than up close.

if we were talking about a discrepancy between what we see and what we hear, that would be fair, because sound travels slower than light. but we're not.

The entire image is delayed by a split second (as a result of the distance from the stage to the person filming). It's just hard to see with other instruments and vocals. Early in the song the video doesn't show Charlie clearly - he's never "in sync" with the audio. If this person has posted other videos, they will all be the same. Charlie will appear to be playing "off beat". It's hard to see with other instrument; handclaps are easy to see.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 2, 2015 01:33

Bit late to this, but I have to agree with what D&G said about this show in the other thread. Like most people here, I'm happy to lower my expectations of Keith so long as he at least tries to play some decent guitar and keep it together, but that Satisfaction solo was really brutal. Whatever they smoked, I'll pass...

Date: June 2, 2015 01:36

drbryant
Turner68
Naturalust
drbryant
Naturalust

peace

Charlie's fine.

peace

agreed naturalist.

The entire image is delayed by a split second (as a result of the distance from the stage to the person filming). It's just hard to see with other instruments and vocals. Early in the song the video doesn't show Charlie clearly - he's never "in sync" with the audio. If this person has posted other videos, they will all be the same. Charlie will appear to be playing "off beat". It's hard to see with other instrument; handclaps are easy to see.

it has nothing to do with seeing, and that's why the distance of the camera doesn't matter. this is a discussion about what is heard on the track.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 01:46

guy following Mick around with his selfie stick, ridiculous!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 2, 2015 01:49

Turner68
drbryant
Turner68
Naturalust
drbryant
Naturalust

peace

Charlie's fine.

peace

agreed naturalist.

it has nothing to do with seeing, and that's why the distance of the camera doesn't matter. this is a discussion about what is heard on the track.

Sorry for being off topic - I was just replying to the guy who referred to Charlie playing snare on the upbeats as a mistake, which is obviously not the case. Anyway, since I took the time to find other videos by the same person who took the "Bitch" video, I'll post it below (and as you can see, snare drum and handclaps are off beat). Sorry for the OT discussion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 01:51 by drbryant.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 2, 2015 01:54

mnewman505
guy following Mick around with his selfie stick, ridiculous!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 2, 2015 02:02

drbryant
Turner68
Naturalust
drbryant
Naturalust

peace

Charlie's fine.

peace

agreed naturalist.

Yeah there is a small delay but guys but this isn't what I'm talking about. For instance, watch from 1:45 where he is obviously on the beat start counting it out and compare it to 2:00 after Jagger sings "like a big bass drum". The beat is obviously switched. Yes he recovers but this doesn't have anything to do with sound delays. Am I tripping here?

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 02:13 by Naturalust.

Date: June 2, 2015 02:04

drbryant
Sorry for being off topic - I was just replying to the guy who referred to Charlie playing snare on the upbeats as a mistake, which is obviously not the case. Anyway, since I took the time to find other videos by the same person who took the "Bitch" video, I'll post it below (and as you can see, snare drum and handclaps are off beat). Sorry for the OT discussion.

i misunderstood. i missed his post on the video. you're absolutely right that the video is out of synch with the audio as you say.

Date: June 2, 2015 02:46

Ok I am a bit confused and more than willing to just say that Charlie's drumming on Bitch is just way above my ability to analyse it, especially where Keith solos are concerned. I should have just accepted with sssoul's explanation and in the end it's still a quite loveable red hot mess! Just how the Stones are supposed to be.

Maybe is was Ronnie all along as someone way back in this thread suggested. winking smiley

peace

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 2, 2015 02:56

Perhaps this ought to clear things up a little

Date: June 2, 2015 04:35

Nikkei

yes, what i hear is charlie holding it all together despite the best efforts of keith's solos. there are a couple bars where he seems like he doesn't hit on the back beat but i don't hear him moving to the 1 and 3 at any point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 04:36 by Turner68.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:02

Yes, thanks for the tape. To my relatively untrained ears, it sounds a bit messy at the start, though still fun, and then straightens out.

Hearing it live, I felt the same.

Still haven't heard from anyone who went to both shows who wants to compare the quality of the live sound in the first two cities, notwithstanding the better song list in CA. ...Going to check out Bjornulf's reviews to start...Anyone else?)

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 05:07 by angee.

Date: June 2, 2015 05:08

Turner68
Nikkei

yes, what i hear is charlie holding it all together despite the best efforts of keith's solos. there are a couple bars where he seems like he doesn't hit on the back beat but i don't hear him moving to the 1 and 3 at any point.

It's actually pretty hard to decipher what's going on, Charlie indeed does play on the 1 and 3 at times to emphasize the guitar licks and such and sometimes he's playing on all the beats again as if to re-establish the groove. With his generous fills and such on this tune it is hard figure out exactly what he is doing. But this better recording does indeed show that if he got off it wasn't for very long like I first stated. Thanks for the corrections.

His playing on this version is much easier to comprehend, of course the good mix helps. But the whole band seemed considerably tighter and Charlie looks like he's having a blast. The Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman and Charlie rhythm section was locked and smoking. Damn.

peace

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:31

lem motlow
there was a guy on stonesdougs website a couple weeks ago saying he "doubted the stones sold more than 10,000 tickets to this show"
"the stones have priced themselves out of the market" and "fans have grown tired of the same ol stones show" were some of the other comments i remember seeing-

60,000 people-a sold out show,great reviews,the fans loved it,the band is having fun and playing great,in other words your typical stones tour.

i still dont get what part of the phrase "the worlds greatest rock and roll band" some people dont understand.

it's like thinking no one will show up at the world cup or the super bowl.

Posted by: stonesfrkk ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:47

I don't know about these people saying the Stones aren't selling tickets to these CONCERT"S! Both San Diego and Columbus were sold out beyond capacity! I had a taxi driver the whole time in Columbus today he gave me my last ride to the airport we were reminiscing about that night and I had to walk the 3 miles home like at least a thousand other people I walked with I couldn't and did not wanto try and get a cab it wouid of been 2 hours home through the 10's of thousands of people. I said there was 60'000 people the other night at the show he said your wrong! There was way more there was at least 65.000 I said how do you know he said his company knows the figures for events for that stadium it's the largest cab service in Columbus The Orange! There you have it weirdos posting there not selling tickets every GIG IS SOLD OUT BEYOND !!! Everybody I spoke with that had tickets in the section next to the cat walk were platinum or dimond etc... they paid at least 17,50 for there seats and they were proud of it they were not complaining a bit like these people on this site whinning about there negative $%^& because they can't afford to go see the STONES or what ever reason you sorry souls come up with!! The legit people that have to work and can't make aren't yapping there %^&$ off!!! Go sit behind your computer all day and night and talk S#$% about your BS!! If any STONES FAN has the money and the time off you would be at these SHOWS PERIOD!! Other wise you aint no STONES FAN!!! PERIOD!!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 2, 2015 05:48

If somebody can make a list of the best available videos then I may link these up to the set list of the reports pages. This goes for both this show as well as for the San Diego show. Then it will be much esier to find the videos.

All I need is the show name and the song title plus the address of the recommended link. I would need a complete list, or near complete, as I don't have time to do many updates/changes.

Feel free to make a complete list here, then give me a "go" when it is time to do an update. Thanks!

Bjornulf

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233Next
Current Page: 31 of 33

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home