Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Live in Reality
Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: July 23, 2005 18:42

Re: Streets of Love & Rough Justice
Posted by: dennysmith61 (IP Logged)
Date: July 23, 2005 18:39

I have not heard SOL but Rough Justice sounds good hated don't stop sounded like bubble gum

Remember no matter what they do they lose because they cannot top there past.
At least they try to make new material. That is a big gamble. And from what I hear a lot of the cuts are real good.

Loved RJ but did not expect Brown Sugar.

Once a band peaks musically everything else is a rehash John lennon said that.

I love U2 and there last CD but are they doing new stufe NO just keeping there sound.
the Beatles at the end of there career were doing solo stuff and putting it on an alblum

Again John said that. Look at Beatkes solo stuff except for Johns imagine amoung some of his other stuff how much is classic?

SAY SAY SAY URG WITH A LITTLE LUCK VOMIT ETC ETC. "All those years" ago urg

You are expecting 1967 this will not happen . But a good rockin Alblum with some blues in mainstreet style, (Although not as good how could it be) is the most we can expect.

One a band peaks it peaks. To be fair listen to it like a new band and people would be saying this sounds like a band with great potiential

Which is why only U2 has come out on top since the 80's Everyting in rock has been done already. What happened to all those bands that were suppose to be the ne Beatles or Stones GONE FOOTNOTES Sex Pistols one great Alblum

Rough Justice is straight ahead rock

Much better then Mixed emotions or Don't stop.

So is Oh No....

Look what the Cat dragged in good blues......

Stop expecting sticky fingers

New bands themselves are rehashing the past lookk at Oaisis.

And I like them

They could have lived on the past they took a chance.

SOL BEING SAPPY almost hear you sigh? Angie? I loved but a little sappy.

Give him a break and live in reality

This attitude is one of the reasons the Beatles never got back together George saidno matter what we would do it would not be enough.

Enjoy it is just rOck and roll

Denis

NYC

Re: Live in Reality
Date: July 23, 2005 19:06

BTW when was the last Zeplin Cd that was any good mid70's or new period?

Or last Who Alblum?

Posted by: db44 ()
Date: July 23, 2005 19:20

Denis, totally agree with your story. I like this board with all the different opinions of our beloved band. I dislike that some members can give no respect for a different view on the new songs. I want to read the opinions of, for example, Gazza, StonesTod, Debra or stickydion. Do you like to worship the Stones? Fine to me. But there's nothing wrong if fans have critical comments. Mostly they know what their talking about. Just as the fans who are in heaven listening to the new songs. That's the strength of this board. Please, let's keep it this way. But, anyway, Denis, I think your comment on how the career of most bands are developing, is nearly perfect. That's the way it was, that's the way it is and that's the way it always will be. To be honest, I was dreaming that it would be different for The Stones. No way! And we just have to accept that as a fact. Cheers and thank for your comment.

Date: July 23, 2005 19:42

Thank You

And also dome say it sounds like Aerosmith is the oyher way around

Aerosmith were influenced by the stones

Also I go to a Nursing home every week and there are people there the Stones age

sad to say

If they good sound this good now WOW.

Talk abouyt Rough Justice some fans are giving that

But to each is own Again give it a chance. How many great bands are left?

I mean they could have sold out and done rap smiling smiley

Rock is not Classical it is fun and straight aheaLike John said " The song I saw her standing there meant just that." Nothing more

The stones never took themselves too serious.

Its only Rock And Roll

An so far sounds good to me like I said listen lke iy is a new band how many can sound like this?

I remember Sound Garden putting down the Stones Age at the MTV awards in the 90's
And what has become of the =footnote

Rememever old songs have nostalgia tied to them that new songs cannot have
for obvious reasons.

We hear Shattered and memories come back we know it by heart

New songs don"t

Den from NY

What hurt Rock in the 70's bands started taking themselves to serioulsy

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 23, 2005 19:49

good posts - good thread. one of the things that separates this board from (some) of the other Stones boards is that for the most part posters aren't flamed if they say the don't like something about the Stones. Sometimes others are offended as though the poster is criticising THEM as opposed to the song,etc. I never take an attack on my favorite band as a "personal" criticism. I think that's they way it works for the most part on this board - and that's cool.

having said that - let me say again that Streets of Loves absolutely blows! :-)

Date: July 23, 2005 20:39

i agree it is not personnel and there is plenty od stones stuff I hated

Emotional Rescue was the worst.

But I love the rock on on this one and the ballard is similiar to other things they have done. Did you hate as tears go by?

ThThanks

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: July 23, 2005 21:20

Let him hear "Streets of shit", then we can talk again.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 24, 2005 01:45

This thread has me totally alienated, I relate to none of it

Date: July 24, 2005 03:01

I just heard it and don't see your point.

Do I love it no but hey I love RJ and other material i have heard.

To expect a band to break new ground when they were singing Satisfaction when other bands were singing bubble gum is crazy Even The beatles who I love where singing "You ae gonna lose that Girl" Do a comparison

They were ground greakers and they have peaked so now it is just good straight rock for the most part

something late in his career Elvis nor ZEplin or the Who have been able to do

You should be expecting new bands to break ground but they don't

They come and go like water.

And try to copy Stones Beatles etc.

Why expect from them what you don't expect from the new bands?

I like some new bands but any new ideas?

The Stones made 15 Studio LP in the 60's 13 were go0d to great and that does not count get ya YERS OUT a break Through live alblum when few bands if any were doing them. I liked Goats head soup but not great but I think underated.

In the 70's Sticky Fingers Exile on Main street and Some girls although not on that level was fun shattered beast of Burden Miss you Respectable real punk R & B influence and sold 6 million copies

In the eightees tatoo you again at a fun level not early stone but Start me up waiting on a friend good stuff.

Bridge to Bablyon and Voodo longe were good and critically acclaimed but nobody wants to hear new stuff from an old band when a lot of it is rehash and the band has already peaked and live in the past.

look every band has a certain amount of Gas in the tank then its rehash

Some take a lot less then 18-22 studio Lp's for that to happen MOST

I like the new music good straight rock and roll. Since 72 I think the Stones

Have made some good stuff some terrible but always trying to give fans new stuff

how many Alblums did it take for Zep to Peak 5? Guns and Roses? Def Lepard? Duran Duran? U2? Not 15-22 believe me

It is like demanding Michael Angelo to paint another Chapel.

Enjoy

Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 24, 2005 04:02

Now THAT post resonates with me! And what were peoples' expectations of Sinatra after 43 years in the biz ('78 or '79?) & he's not even a band, & peaked at Capitol in the 50s. The Stones' longevity is unique, as is their uninterrupted popularity (yes some albums go 6 times platinum, some just platinum, but no one else has sustained that level, not to mention the tours which exploded beginning in the 80s, their 3rd decade. Also, the industry is so different now - the record industry - that even if another group from a later generation stays together that long (U2 say, or Pearl Jam) it's different, because the cutthroat competion of needing a new single every 3 months or you're dead, 2, 3 albums a year (or even one) is not needed anymore, so careers can easily last 15 or 20 years with say 6 or 8 albums. Record companies dont WANT an album a year anymore, as Prince found out. I think the reasons for his sharp decline in sales were more complicated, but industry types trot P out as an example of 'overexposure.' Were the Beatles/Stones/Beach Boys overexposed when they put out 15 - 20 albums from 1963-70?

Date: July 24, 2005 04:16

i certainly don't expect anything ground-breaking from the Stones or any other rock band. It has ALL been done and done to death (as the '68 Jeff Beck Group album noted in the liner notes). However, having said that, it doesn't preclude the Stones or any other band from producing quality new songs - and that's my gripe here - these aren't quality (IMHFO), regardless of their lack of ground-breakingness.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: July 24, 2005 04:39

StonesTod, you name. Some folks really feel offended if others don't have the same mind. They can't accept that other people might have a different taste of quality.

Posted by: Tom Petty ()
Date: July 24, 2005 04:47

I really do respect overwhelmingly the above posts, and perspectives etc. Rough Justice is a solid outing, no question - I must say I am really trying to comes to terms with it, and I really am struggling - I think Streets of Love is really sub-par - it just doesn't sound like the Stones, it's a MJ solo effort and I'm depressed at the prospect of seeing this track on the album, potentially now in leiu of a much better outtake(s).

I'm a necessary talent behind ev'ry rock and roll band
I'm sharp...

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: July 24, 2005 09:16

I don't believe the Stones have got it in them to ever record a really great song again. If they do i believe the chances are it'll be a ballad.
Rough Justice will be forgotten very quickly once its novelty has worn off - it sounds to me like one lomg cliche.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 24, 2005 10:50

I

love

putting

a

space

between

everything

I

type.

It

makes

everyone

really

care

about

what

I

have

to

say.

Especially

when

my

name

is

captain

obvious.

None

of

us

are

expecting

another

Exile.

Infact

many

supposed

"fans"

on

this

board

seem

to

care

more

about

vibrato

than

whether

Rough

Justice

is

a

classic

or

not.

Date: July 24, 2005 10:51

I believe the Stones are still very dangerous in terms of their short term potential.They are like a wounded animal after Streets of Love (SOL - S**T Out of Luck).I have a good feeling about The Back of My Hand & most of the other songs.I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: July 24, 2005 11:40

Doesn't anyone of you idiots remember that Exile was turned down by the whole world back in 72? And doesn't anyone remember what massive gig hits Out of control and Saint of me was at the BtB tour? And why do they still play You got me rockin' at every gig? And why does Keith still play You don't have to mean it as a part of his collection at the gigs?

Because they're great song, morons! Just as great as any of the Exile stuff. They will never get the status of Jumping or Honky Tonk, but that is NOT due to the quality. It's simply because they have been around for so long, and therefore are not the youths first choice of bands anymore. They are getting older and BETTER! Both Voodoo Lounge and BtB would be a new Exile or Sticky if they had been released in the early 70s.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 24, 2005 14:36

I'm not so sure about the Exile comparisons, but I think people expect Mick to have a solo/Stones switch in his head .

Of course it's going to sound something like a GITD or Alfie track . If you can't accept that,don't buy it !

It's growing on me,although he sings "awful" once too many times !

sc uk

Date: July 24, 2005 17:32

Stone Tod you are taking Rock way too serious.

Rough Justice if released in 72 would be beloved

I t rocks so does Oh not you again

I think the worst Alblum they ever released was Emotional Rescue terrible.

So I am not one who has to like everything

But I don;t know if you don't like rough Justice do you think the Rock roday is much better?

I can;t think of much. Thet are going back to old sound and at the same time doingh comtempary balard mick said there would be some Old types and Moidern.

Date: July 24, 2005 18:18

dennysmith61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Stone Tod you are taking Rock way too serious.
>
> >
> >>
>

Well I certainly appreciate your concern - but, not to worry - I don't take rock'n'roll seriously at all! I spend maybe 2% of my listening on rock.

I have to like RJ to take rock'n'roll, seriously, huh? Maybe it's you with the "problem."

RJ could never have been on Exile. The Stones had the mojo back then; they don't anymore, quite obviously.

I don't listen to a whole lotta rock these days - the genre's well pretty much ran dry about 25 years ago. I consider the Stones a killer nostalgia band and love going to their shows in that spirit.

Date: July 24, 2005 18:48

"I don't listen to a whole lotta rock these days"

I think you answered my question for me you considered rock dead years ago.

I admit it peaked years ago. but not dead. How can you listen to RJ without prejudice and in reality

They peaked but can still make good fun rock

You think Rip this Joint would be considered reat if released today?
No it would be considered a rehash. It is a matter of timing when stuff is released.

A band peaks tehn does same material different forms same style

The great ones take a long time to peak like 17-22 studio LPs?

How many can say that

Not Bruce god not him

You consider them nostalgic so new stuff is at a disadvantage. No way you can look at it fairly

Your own words admit it

thank you for bringing clarity to your opinion

I think living in the past is boring and I think they feel the same way and why they still make new material.

Relisten to EXILIE timing is everythimg

Its only rock and roll but you don't like it smiling smiley

Thank God

Date: July 24, 2005 19:14

well Denny - you seem quite interested in telling me what I like and don't like. i'm not even sure why you both taking the time to dissect everything I'm saying -. I never said any the things you said I said. why don't you stick to writing your own opinions and let me handle my own, thank you.

I've been writing my opinions about the Stones - pro & con on this board for many, many years - you come on here in 24 hours and attempt to discredit me - why?

My opinion about the new songs has no "prejudice" at all. I listen to new music with a completely open mind. In MY OPINION - these songs aren't that good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-24 19:25 by StonesTod.

Date: July 24, 2005 20:15

But you said you don't listen to rock amymore
And thought it done 25 years ago.

Hey you don't have to like it but admit it

Your basis gives it no shot

I was only using your words

Date: July 24, 2005 20:22

you weren't using my words - you made them up. I NEVER said I don't listen to rock. I said I listen to rock about 2% of my listening time. I listen to music ALL DAY/NIGHT long. I was a disc jockey for 15 years rock radio, country radio, big band radio - I know something about music, I think. I listen to blues,jazz, folk, classical, rock and pretty much everything in between.

Please stop misrepresenting my statements and work on a few of your own.

Date: July 25, 2005 02:12

2% well thats is close to nothing isn't it? i stand corrected Big difference

And are you saying you did not say rock was done 25 years ago?

Three points this is not personnel "I think thou protect too much? I disagree but you have every right I respect that

It just lacks clarity

Another point Johnny Cash made critically acclaimed material in the las 10 years but no station woul play it

The older fans wanted to only hear old material and younger fans well they did not want an old fart singing to them so we all lose. Some of the stones 90's alblims faced the same problem Voodo Longe for example which is wahy I despise that attitude.

Also in 81 there were fans who hated the hit song "waiting on a Friend saying it was not like the early 70's stones

of cause what they did not know it was writen in the early 70;s when mick Talyor was still with the band and released in 81 ooooops In fact talyor sued over it

So much of it is psycological

I hated a lot of Stones stuff again I repeat Once a band peaks it peaks we all have only so much Brilliance in us. After that it is rehash

Some can do it well some not The Stones have been a Rollercoaster since 72

GUARENTEE if RJ was played and we was told it was on some other version of Stick Fingers in some other country etc a lost classic Fans like you would say WOW that sounds good.

They will never top there past but good solid rock we said we would not be like our parents and live in the past lets do so. I find it boring to do so

As fo SOL it is a more contempory ballard for sure not my favorite but much better then some other stuff

Love the rock

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 25, 2005 02:23

these two new tracks have been on the radio for 24 hours and already 80% 0f people here are writing off the new lp as potential crap------amazing--i challenge anyone to name ONE stones lp where EVERY SINGLE TRACK is superb---impossible!!.....even exile has so-called "filler"--ask the band..they'll admit it... its been eight years, why don't we listen to the singles and the lp more than once or twice before we condemn it to the scrapheap of stones albums....geez........

Date: July 25, 2005 02:32

agreed bunch of old farts smiling smiley

Glad Stones don't take that philosopy try to stay young at least

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: July 25, 2005 03:49

Every single track superb ,,ill give ya 2 of um,,Let it Bleed & Sticky Fingers

Date: July 25, 2005 04:45

i'll give you 3 more - Beggars, Exile & SG....

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 25, 2005 06:07

Agree with the last few posts: on those albums from Banquet to Some Girls including LIB, Ya-Ya's, Fingers, Exile, and maybe Black&Blue, there is no filler. That si 75 cuts. Maybe, MAYBE "Cherry oh Bay" would be called weak by some.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1947
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home