Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Semi-OT: IORR jam
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 29, 2015 11:42

I've not been posting here long enough to know whether this has been discussed before, or indeed has actually happened at some point, but how about an IORR jam sometime? The post your band thread got me thinking how many great musicians there are on this board. It would be awesome if some of us could find a way to get together sometime to play some Stones songs, perhaps some old blues standards, or indeed anything else that appealed. Obviously, the idea has limitations because IORR is big on both sides of the Atlantic and so, wherever it happened, about half the interested posters wouldn't be able to come, but I thought I'd suggest it anyway. Quite a few of the big music forums - mylespaul.com and so forth - do meetup jams like this and the members seem to get a lot out of it.

As with the private concert thread, just leave your name and location below if you'd be interested, and we can discuss how it might happen.

Ben Phillips (London, guitar)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 14:34 by Stoneburst.

Re: Semi-OT: IORR jam
Date: May 29, 2015 11:48

Good idea! What about recording something? A tribute album from the fans. There are enough skilled people here to make that work, both recording- and production-wise.

We even got people here who have worked in the studio with the Stones.

Count me in!

Bård Andersson
NORWAY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-29 12:08 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: May 29, 2015 13:52

I will be at the jam !
(drummer)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 29, 2015 13:59

All these planning threads are a hoot, you'd think we were all just around the corner from each other. But, I will sing backup. smiling smiley

Posted by: Steinschlag ()
Date: May 29, 2015 14:14

I really like the recording idea.... if keyboards are required, I`d be happy to join!!!

Cheers,
Kurt (Germany / Keyboards)

------------------------------------------
"A smile relieves a heart that grieves..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 15:04 by Steinschlag.

Date: May 29, 2015 14:57

So, obvious questions -

a) what are we looking at, an extended jam session, a recording project or both? I wasn't initially thinking of recording but since DP mentioned it, I think it's a really cool idea. Perhaps we could do both, jamming followed by cutting whichever tracks work best?

b) any thoughts on location/venue, assuming we go for a meetup rather than an internet collaboration?

Date: May 29, 2015 14:59

I'm in for both. But wouldn't it be kinda cool to start recording Stones songs, passing audio files around, keeping in touch during the process and have as a goal to meet up (for instance in London) for a big jam?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Date: May 29, 2015 15:13

I think there are arguments for both, but yes, that would be cool indeed. Also, obviously, it would also give the eventual jam a bit more structure, we'd know in advance who was interested in playing on what songs, who favoured which arrangement of Stray Cat Blues, etc. And we'd still have the option of doing more recording if we so wished.

Date: May 29, 2015 15:14

DandelionPowderman
I'm in for both. But wouldn't it be kinda cool to start recording Stones songs, passing audio files around, keeping in touch during the process and have as a goal to meet up (for instance in London) for a big jam?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Sounds good..... You can count me in either.

I think we need one guy on top of the recording process - probably the one who is going to do the mixing. As far as I know, we have some experienced guys on this board grinning smiley

This could be great fun smileys with beer

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 29, 2015 15:19

More than a decade ago the people at the Undercover mailing list put together a tape -- these were the days of cassettes -- people recorded covers and someone put the thing together and there was a tree. Some pretty good stuff there. I'm sure some other people remember this.

Date: May 29, 2015 15:24

Rokyfan
More than a decade ago the people at the Undercover mailing list put together a tape -- these were the days of cassettes -- people recorded covers and someone put the thing together and there was a tree. Some pretty good stuff there. I'm sure some other people remember this.

I think JumpingKentFlash and Lorenz (and a couple of others?) did the same here, too. I remember a immortal version of Dead Flowers among others.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 29, 2015 16:17

Rokyfan

I used to have that tape! No idea what happened to it. Must have been 20 years ago.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 29, 2015 16:26

Stoneshood-

are you reading this?

we need to get in on this! I'll play bass, happily.

and Stoneshood is a good vocalist. (he doesnt' post much though..)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 29, 2015 16:28

This would be so cool.

With digital technology, one could put together a song and have overdubs from all over the world.

Date: May 29, 2015 16:30

duke richardson
Stoneshood-

are you reading this?

we need to get in on this! I'll play bass, happily.

and Stoneshood is a good vocalist. (he doesnt' post much though..)

Sounds good..... the band is growing thumbs up

Date: May 29, 2015 16:31

This will be great fun! What about a little video blog as we go along, from the separate recording sessions?

Without the f u ck ups, of course winking smiley

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: May 29, 2015 18:58

For me making music is all about playing together... having eyecontact and knowing what's going to happen next... bringing songs to a good end together.
I don't really like recordings.

If there will be a jamsession somewhere in Europe,
I'm willing to travel somewhere with my drumsticks to have a good Stones-night :-)

Date: May 30, 2015 10:04

Elmo Lewis
This would be so cool.

With digital technology, one could put together a song and have overdubs from all over the world.

The idea is really cool.... The more people involved, the more interesting the results will be smileys with beer

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 30, 2015 10:12

Let's Do It hot smiley

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 30, 2015 10:15

I can play air guitar.

Date: May 30, 2015 13:44

Guys, it would be great if anyone who's up for contributing could edit their posts so as to include their name / location / instrument(s). There's also an off-list email thread which we can add you to, if you'd like to discuss there.

We should probably give this thread a little while to develop to see who else is interested. But in the meantime, let's discuss what songs we'd be interested in doing?

I'll start, roughly chronologically: No Expectations, Love In Vain, HTW, perhaps one of their live Chuck Berry numbers, Sway, Knockin', You Gotta Move, Sister Morphine, Shake Your Hips, ADTL, Stop Breaking Down, Silver Train, Winter, Hey Negrita, Black Limo, Worried About You.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:10

I'll volunteer as an audience member cool smiley

Date: May 30, 2015 14:18

I`m fine with all your suggestions.... I went through all their albums yesterday and wrote down a list of songs I would prefer to do.

I excluded all the cover versions and their biggest hits (the so-called "warhorses" ) and I ended up with a list of still 75 songs eye popping smiley

So the song discussion is going to be a tough one >grinning smiley<

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: May 30, 2015 14:54

Stoneburst
Guys, it would be great if anyone who's up for contributing could edit their posts so as to include their name / location / instrument(s). There's also an off-list email thread which we can add you to, if you'd like to discuss there.

We should probably give this thread a little while to develop to see who else is interested. But in the meantime, let's discuss what songs we'd be interested in doing?

I'll start, roughly chronologically: No Expectations, Love In Vain, HTW, perhaps one of their live Chuck Berry numbers, Sway, Knockin', You Gotta Move, Sister Morphine, Shake Your Hips, ADTL, Stop Breaking Down, Silver Train, Winter, Hey Negrita, Black Limo, Worried About You.

Name: Onlystones/location: United States East coast/instrument(s): air guitar, air drums, air harmonica.

However, I can help with the BANQUET and party favors.

Songs: I Go Wild, Tops, Dancing with Mr. D. and She's a Rainbow.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:26

OMG this sounds like one of those school concerts where everyone gets to play an instrument. I can play the triangle.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 30, 2015 17:15

For a group who argues over setlists, solos and band members this might not end well. eye popping smiley

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 30, 2015 17:18

If we're actually doing this, I'll be the singer.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 30, 2015 17:39

latebloomer
All these planning threads are a hoot, you'd think we were all just around the corner from each other. But, I will sing backup. smiling smiley

if you're singing my backup, you'll be expected to dance as well. just so you know what you're signing up for.

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: May 30, 2015 17:52

I'd be down for a live jam somewhere in the mid-west. Play guitar, bass, synth. Would want to stick to bass for a live jam. Have 3 cd's released and actually got some airplay. Not interested in any recording. Would be interested in jamming to Stones, blues, and '60's.

Here's my audition. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit the play button for any of the tunes. Knock is my preferred genre, Croc is a good example of my bass style, Beer was played on the radio, but Ghost Town is my fav.

[www.bandmix.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 18:32 by josepi.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 18:32

If we do this in L.A., I play bass and drums. We can even rent the studio the Stones had two weeks ago. $350 per day.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home