Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Song Vote - Columbus
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 31, 2015 06:59

To be fair, the Twitter hashtag #StonesColumbus WAS flooded with Paint It Black requests by people who posted pics from the show shortly thereafter.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 31, 2015 13:44

Nikkei
To be fair, the Twitter hashtag #StonesColumbus WAS flooded with Paint It Black requests by people who posted pics from the show shortly thereafter.
Not surprised. Its the only song of theirs most of the stadium probably knew. The Stones aren't wrong when they imply the fans only know their biggest hits. IMO the song "votes" should be of equal obscurity, and when you throw something like Black in the mix its a total blowout and giveaway slot to a warhorse.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:04

maybe they should just do an IORR vote for the songs. they could call BV up to the stage each show and have him announce the winner and certify that no one had told the band prior.

i'm guessing the top vote getters would be something like:

- time waits for no one (both taylorists and woodists would vote for it, taylorists because MT "wrote" it, and woodists to drive taylorists mad by making them watch ronnie play on it)
- gomper
- plundered my soul
- never stop (one of the unreleased-even-on-bootleg reggae versions, longer and more reggae than the known version)
- goin' home

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-31 14:04 by Turner68.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 31, 2015 14:06

Jamaican style version of .... Back Ta Zero ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 31, 2015 16:55

Rockman
Jamaican style version of .... Back Ta Zero ....

I believe they have a version of that, called Back Ta Zero Mon.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 31, 2015 19:48

Winning Ugly VXII
jazzbass
Heartbreaker would be my vote. (and hope) Likely though will be Paint it Black or Shattered. Both have been played this tour (at club gigs) I don't think they'll play another Sticky Fingers song for the fan vote, because the fan vote follows the SF segment. (At least at the San Diego show) So, 50/50 for Shattered/PIB would be my guess.

That would figure. They like to repeat themselves these days.

Not the US shows they haven't been played at.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 01:29

andrea66
Voted for Hearbreaker. I am afraid that Paint it Black will win, because of the famous gap between iorrians and normal audience
. Too easy ....

Posted by: HotStuff92 ()
Date: June 1, 2015 02:22

I've heard people claim that the song votes are rigged in some way, but is there any actual evidence to support that claim? Heartbreaker was what most people in this thread voted for, but something to keep in mind IORR members aren't the only ones voting. Paint It Black is one of their most famous songs, and many of the more casual fans are more likely to vote for it. I don't really think it's any surprise that's the song that won the vote.

Date: June 1, 2015 03:25

HotStuff92
I've heard people claim that the song votes are rigged in some way, but is there any actual evidence to support that claim?

Yes. In Norway,they rehearsed "Let's Spend the Night Together" during the set list run-through in the exact spot that it ended up being played as the 'vote winner' well BEFORE the voting had even closed. It could have actually been before the voting had even opened. I can't remember the exact details but,you could look it up. Probably right on this web-site. I'm talking the first show of the 2014 European tour. Just one example.

Date: June 1, 2015 03:43

GasLightStreet
Winning Ugly VXII
jazzbass
Heartbreaker would be my vote. (and hope) Likely though will be Paint it Black or Shattered. Both have been played this tour (at club gigs) I don't think they'll play another Sticky Fingers song for the fan vote, because the fan vote follows the SF segment. (At least at the San Diego show) So, 50/50 for Shattered/PIB would be my guess.

That would figure. They like to repeat themselves these days.

Not the US shows they haven't been played at.

I don't know which songs you're talking about or which U.S. shows but,"Paint it Black" was played at every show (or very close to it) in 2013. The same goes for "Paint it Black" on the '99 U.S. tour .... including Columbus '99.

"Shattered" was played in Anaheim 2013 and in Columbus 2005 (the previous time there) among a decent amount of other times performed in the U.S. mostly on the Voodoo Lounge Tour and often on the A Bigger Bang Tour.

All I was saying is that these facts could have made "Heartbreaker" and "Dead Flowers" solid choices for this particular concert. Columbus is one of only a handful of places where "Heartbreaker" has not been played. You would have to go back to Cleveland 1975 for "Heartbreaker" having been played in Ohio.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 1, 2015 14:59

Jazzbass said "this tour"... which I'm guessing means 2015... and only Paint It Black has been played since the PetCo Park show.

Date: June 1, 2015 15:05

Winning Ugly VXII
HotStuff92
I've heard people claim that the song votes are rigged in some way, but is there any actual evidence to support that claim?

Yes. In Norway,they rehearsed "Let's Spend the Night Together" during the set list run-through in the exact spot that it ended up being played as the 'vote winner' well BEFORE the voting had even closed. It could have actually been before the voting had even opened. I can't remember the exact details but,you could look it up. Probably right on this web-site. I'm talking the first show of the 2014 European tour. Just one example.

That's true. They played it on the last run-through in the exact spot indeed. This was the day before show day. People were allowed to vote right up till the show started. Fake vote.

Posted by: onlystones ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:10

DandelionPowderman
Winning Ugly VXII
HotStuff92

That's true. They played it on the last run-through in the exact spot indeed. This was the day before show day. People were allowed to vote right up till the show started. Fake vote.

If this is true, we must attack them. We want to know why?

That's it I'm not listening to The Stones anymore.

Call me onlyzepplin or onlymetallica from now on.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:13

Winning Ugly VXII
HotStuff92

Also, the winning song has often been used to showcase either a guest artist or Mick Taylor, who just happen to be ready to go on stage as Jagger calls the tune. The result is meant to be a mystery to the band until Jagger does that, but this is clearly not the case - aside from anything else, the Stones are a very cautious band on stage these days and would not put themselves in the position of having to chance their way through a song they hadn't properly rehearsed (despite what Silver Train in Brisbane might suggest).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-01 15:14 by Stoneburst.

Date: June 1, 2015 15:24

Stoneburst
Winning Ugly VXII
HotStuff92

Also, the winning song has often been used to showcase either a guest artist or Mick Taylor, who just happen to be ready to go on stage as Jagger calls the tune. The result is meant to be a mystery to the band until Jagger does that, but this is clearly not the case - aside from anything else, the Stones are a very cautious band on stage these days and would not put themselves in the position of having to chance their way through a song they hadn't properly rehearsed (despite what Silver Train in Brisbane might suggest).

Josh Redman in St. Louis 1997 on Waiting On A Friend springs to mind...

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 1, 2015 15:32

I do believe that nowadays the vote is rigged (at least most of the times).

But ages ago I've been to a show where "She's A Rainbow" won the vote. The mess that followed indicated that the band did not know the song before (or after).

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home