Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe is available now on Google Play!!!
Date: June 2, 2015 01:27

It's the same Clapton outtake, but it's cleaned up, panned and sounds great. All the instruments are clearer.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 2, 2015 01:34

Thanks DP! thumbs up

Date: June 2, 2015 09:41

Both IORR-posters Matt Lee and James Karnbach are thanked and credited for providing stuff to this release thumbs up

Here it comes:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 10:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 2, 2015 09:43

DP, thank you for those nice pictures! Looking forward, mine will arrive on Saturday, hopefully!

Date: June 2, 2015 10:49

The Universal remaster is dubious. Wild Horses sounds distorted.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 11:13

Does Bill hardly feature in the book/photos?

Date: June 2, 2015 11:24

Rollin92
Does Bill hardly feature in the book/photos?

Just did a quick check. Bill's on ten pictures on the first 60 pages. About the same as Taylor, I presume. Not as often as Mick, Keith and Charlie, but not photoshopped away, either grinning smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: June 2, 2015 11:29

Any glaring factual errors? smiling smiley

Date: June 2, 2015 11:31

I don't know yet, LieB. I'm only able to listen to the music while I'm at work. But will check, of course smiling smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: June 2, 2015 11:39

thanks. it's fantastic.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: June 2, 2015 12:41

Full show, better quality makes a lot!Great release in the end.
And I still haven't heard Roundhouse. (Btw. as they recorded both Roundhouse gigs there should be some more in the can.)

Date: June 2, 2015 13:17

If ya'll's impatient, both the Roundhouse and new Leeds releases have been uploaded to youtube by a familiar figure. smoking smiley

Date: June 2, 2015 14:35

I started this morning, and now I have listened through the entire box set, including the vinyl single and the DVD.

There is absolutely NO REASON to be complaining. This set kills it thumbs up

Now I'm waiting for my Treacle Fingers vinyl set...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 14:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 2, 2015 15:06

DandelionPowderman
I started this morning, and now I have listened through the entire box set, including the vinyl single and the DVD.

thanks for the pics..good work!!

So..forgive my laziness..the bonus stuff from the Marquee show is different to what will be released on the Marquee dvd?
So many releases! Confusing..
thanks

Date: June 2, 2015 15:08

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman

thanks for the pics..good work!!

So..forgive my laziness..the bonus stuff from the Marquee show is different to what will be released on the Marquee dvd?
So many releases! Confusing..
thanks

The bonus DVD on the Sf box set is two of the tracks from the marquee-dvd smiling smiley

They did the same with the Some Girls deluxe box set and included a couple of tracks from the later to come Live In Texas-dvd.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: June 2, 2015 15:13

Righto..thanks.

now for the wait...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 2, 2015 15:33

LieB

There's one picture of Mick from 1973...

John Rutherford is mentioned as well. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 2, 2015 15:52

Mathijs
LieB

Mathijs

Haha, funny. In his recognizable blue jumpsuit. Just another era, but only two years later.

Love that pic with MT and Keith. MT looking so cool.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 2, 2015 16:20

DandelionPowderman

This one ? winking smiley

Hi·Res version of this Cover

Date: June 2, 2015 16:24

Date: June 2, 2015 18:06

Mathijs
LieB

John Rutherford is mentioned as well. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Mathijs

Yeah, in Dandelion's pics above, there are pictures from '70 (Keith in Malmö), '69, '71 (Charlie at Nellcote?), '73 (Mick in jumpsuit) ... Not wrong per se but it would have been cooler for us hardcore fans if they packed the box with pics and info closely related to Sticky Fingers and the '71 tour.

Posted by: mick64 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 18:32

If pososible can scan the CD and DVD have 'm excited because until 9 I do not have the luxury 2 versions thanks

Date: June 2, 2015 18:44

DandelionPowderman
It's the same Clapton outtake, but it's cleaned up, panned and sounds great. All the instruments are clearer.

Date: June 2, 2015 19:02

Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

All new Sticky Fingers re-release audio material is also available on YouTube now: all 5 alternates and all live songs (5 Roundhouse ones, from both Roundhouse gigs, and the complete Leeds gig in stereo).

Only the video material (Bitch and Midnight Rambler from the short Marquee DVD) are missing (yet), except a snippet of half a minute from MR.

But Dead Flowers from the complete Marquee DVD, yet to be released, is already there on YT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-02 19:04 by kleermaker.

Date: June 2, 2015 19:14

kleermaker
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

All new Sticky Fingers re-release audio material is also available on YouTube now: all 5 alternates and all live songs (5 Roundhouse ones, from both Roundhouse gigs, and the complete Leeds gig in stereo).

Only the video material (Bitch and Midnight Rambler from the short Marquee DVD) are missing (yet), except a snippet of half a minute from MR.

But Dead Flowers from the complete Marquee DVD, yet to be released, is already there on YT.

Yep, thanks to the official uploads (of the outtakes) and your uploads of the live material, which are highly appreciated. Thanks! smileys with beer

Date: June 2, 2015 19:37

Cristiano Radtke
kleermaker
Cristiano Radtke
DandelionPowderman

Yep, thanks to the official uploads (of the outtakes) and your uploads of the live material, which are highly appreciated. Thanks! smileys with beer

My pleasure! It's just fun to spreading the goods. smiling smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: June 2, 2015 21:02

kleermaker
Here's the 5 Roundhouse songs:

Such a great gig; thanks Mr. kleermaker!

Seems that it can only be compared to GYYYO, so here goes:

Live With Me: I like Roundhouse better, if only for the piano intro

Stray Cat Blues: Roundhouse is super aggro and in your face but I still dig the sinuous GYYYO version

Love in Vain: too sleepy on Roundhouse; Ya-Ya's again

Rambler: only one false note for me on the Roundhouse version--Mick's too obvious 'go down on me, baby'--otherwise this might be the greatest Rambler of them all, so slight edge to Roundhouse.

Honky Tonk Women: really interesting guitar during intro and first verse (assume that's Taylor); had not heard that before on HTW; still will go with Ya-Ya's, more druggy, sexy somehow.

What a band they were!

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 29, 2015 05:55

Review of the 2-LP edtion by Michael Fremer from Analog Planet - interesting take on the packaging quality vs. the sound quality...

source : [www.analogplanet.com]

Thanks to an analogplanet.com reader I got a copy to review of the two LP deluxe edition of Sticky Fingers (Rolling Stones Records 376-484-4).

The packaging is fine, including a real zipper, along with the original inner sleeves. The two records here are very well-pressed at GZ Media in the Czech Republic, though on Amazon there was plenty of bitching about noisy vinyl and even vinyl with glue balls (which strikes me as an appropriate addition to the cover's paper dick).

The first LP reprises the original Rolling Stones Records release. The second record includes on side one a version of "Brown Sugar" with Eric Clapton, an all-acoustic "Wild Horses", an alternate version of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", an extended version of "Bitch" and an alternative version of "Dead Flowers". Side two contains four live performances from March 14th, 1971 recorded at London's The Roundhouse.

The bonus disc is a "must have" for "completists" only. The "Brown Sugar" with Clapton is okay, the "Wild Horses" not as good as the original, the alternative version of "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" isn't as good as the original either, but by a wider margin. The extended version of "Bitch" rocks pretty well assuming you like that tune in the first place. Best on side one is the alternate version of "Dead Flowers", which sounds as if it was played "live" in the studio. The overall sound on the second disk is blah, made worse by what sounds like mediocre digital reverb.

Since the Roundhouse gig was a tour closer, the band is in fine form though there's nothing particularly illuminating in the performances, nor are most of the mixes anything special sonically. Best is the closer "Honky Tonk Women".

As for the original LP remaster, no one takes credit for the remaster, which is interesting and understandable. I wouldn't want my name on it either, though I'm sure it was Stephen Marcussen, who did similar work on the Exile on Main Street debacle. This one doesn't sound quite as compressed, but when you sit down to listen, the music just seems to float by without creating much of an emotional impact, partly because of the dynamic compression but also because the bass is kind of weak and there's a bit of added edge on top. However, in terms of overall EQ, it's not grossly off the mark.

The Stones fetishists note a slight bit of tape dropout at around 1:18 of "You Gotta Move". It's hardly an issue and if it wasn't pointed out you'd probably not notice it. What you will notice is the overall compression, which results in little in the way of depth and which prevents the music from breathing in its own space. That's why it seems to drift by without carving an impression in your brain. Well at least in mine.

I will say that this reissue met my every expectation: well-packaged and pressed, with little care going into the sound. This should have been cut from tape by someone not interested in a 21st century "revision." I don't know why The Rolling Stones don't give a shit about their legacy on record, but at this point that's the only conclusion I can draw.

When 96/24 files go to guys like Kevin Gray, or Ryan K. Smith or Chris Bellman, they can often obtain good results and it shows someone overseeing production cares. Here, the files were sent via the Internet to GZ Media and "A. Nonymous" cut lacquers. I wonder if anyone actually listened to and approved test pressings.

As for the music (oh yes, the music!), there were some great tracks like "Brown Sugar", "Wild Horses", "Dead Flowers" and especially "Moonlight Mile", some of the rest was less than inspired and overall the record was of a group looking to re-group after ending the previous decade with some of the most powerful records ever made (Beggar's Banquet and Let It Bleed)—not to mention coming off the awfulness of Altamont Speedway ugliness. In retrospect, the extended "Can't You Hear Me Knocking", where The Rolling Stones turn into Santana, was one hot number well worth repeated plays.

Though it was engineered by Glyn and Andy Johns and produced (with affection) by Jimmy Miller, I always though the production on this record lacked depth and atmosphere, though a few tracks, like "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and "Dead Flowers" came together well.

Overall, this reissue is pretty weak in my opinion and again, I'm left thinking The Rolling Stones don't give a shit about how their catalog gets reissued. As for UMe, it's clear they lavish greater attention on the packaging than on the sound. I'm afraid that The Beatles mono box taught nobody there much of anything.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home