Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe is available now on Google Play!!!
Posted by: astsu ()
Date: May 29, 2015 20:13

Why is is not available via Google in Germany before june 5th ??

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 29, 2015 20:17

astsu
Why is is not available via Google in Germany before june 5th ??

'cause there is not any tour in Germany spinning smiley sticking its tongue out or maybe for some legal aspects with Google Play.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 29, 2015 22:33

As much asI like the other Mick (he is brilliant, on both, Leeds and London), bunt this is Mick Jagger in top form, really love his singing on those, Great!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 29, 2015 22:43

What is Taylor doing in HTW (London)? Stunning version ...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 29, 2015 23:53

muenke
What is Taylor doing in HTW (London)? Stunning version ...

That reminds me of the fact that one poster, trying to bash Taylor, made a remark about a blooper by Taylor on HTW Leeds at 43:25 in the video. But now it turns out to be Keith, thanks to the stereo. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 00:42 by kleermaker.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 00:07

Whatever about the Leeds blooper, what MT and Keith are doing at the Roundhouse on HTW is very cool. The weave! As is the barrelhouse version of Live With Me.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 30, 2015 00:17

This Leeds show is truly a gift, just superb man! Thanks for that post kleerie. Stray Cat Blues is devastating. They are just all so soulful. Taylors solo on LIV just drips with southern blues. Bo Diddley beat on MR intro, wow! Mick's singing and harmonica playing, Charlie very audible and driving every tune to perfection

I don't know how anyone could listen to this show and not have a deep and profound appreciation for Mick Taylor...the next time someone starts calling Taylor fans a cult or saying the Stones are just as good without him I think I'm going to post a link to this show...nuff said.

peace

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 30, 2015 00:35

Naturalust
This Leeds show is truly a gift, just superb man! Thanks for that post kleerie. Stray Cat Blues is devastating. They are just all so soulful. Taylors solo on LIV just drips with southern blues. Bo Diddley beat on MR intro, wow! Mick's singing and harmonica playing, Charlie very audible and driving every tune to perfection

I don't know how anyone could listen to this show and not have a deep and profound appreciation for Mick Taylor...the next time someone starts calling Taylor fans a cult or saying the Stones are just as good without him I think I'm going to post a link to this show...nuff said.

peace

+1

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: May 30, 2015 01:35

Okay, as the non-taylorite I am, who has never heard the full show beofre, I'll give a short song-per-song review after hearing the full concert in perfect stero, thanks to Kleermarker.

Jumping Jack Flash 5/5
Fantastic, I love Taylor's short and tasteful solo after the first chorus. Jagger's singing, seems more inspired than in 72-73

Live With Me 4/5
Bill & Charlie makes the song.

Dead Flowers 2/5
The simple guitar intro is very underwhelming, horrible guitar tone from both guitars. The swing is only ok.

Stray Cat Blues 2/5
Horns are not welcome in this song, it's supposed to be a rock song. The drama is never really there, and the chorus falls a bit flat. I prefer the Lick-tour versions.

Love In Vain 5/5
Very heartfelt singing, Nicky Hopkins adds some really fine emotional nuances. Great solo by Taylor also...

Midnight Rambler 3/5
Kind of weak compared to the roaring Roundhouse version actually.

Bitch 3/5
Too much pointless noodling by Keith here unfortunately, it kind of takes away from the groove and makes the whole thing seem less dangerous.

Honky Tonk Women 3/5
The closest this song ever got to sounding like the studio version, even though it felt a bit too much like a happy flower-power tune before 1975.

Satisfaction 4/5
A bit inspired by Otis Redding's cover maybe? More exciting than it will be on the Zip Code-tour, that's for sure.

Little Queenie 3/5
A bit too slow... It rocked harder in 1997.

Brown Sugar 5/5
This is like a hybrid between the Studio version and the Brussels version. Excellent...

Street Fighting Man 1/5
So unfocused and Jagger sounds like he doesn't give a shit. The whole band actually sounds like amateurs. One of the few songs they play better these days.

Let It Rock 5/5
I prefer the old b-side stereo mix, cause it has Jagger louder in the mix. On the other some great rhythm playing by Taylor is revealed by this mix.

Note:
The real star of this show is Bill Wyman, and the new mix highlights his playing throughout. Overall the Roundhouse show is obviously better.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 02:08 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: May 30, 2015 01:37

Naturalust

peace

What about Keith??

Date: May 30, 2015 01:55

Bitch 3/5
Too much pointless noodling by Taylor here unfortunately, it kind of takes away from the groove and makes the whole thing seem less dangerous.

the noodling is by keith, obviously. still surprises me people can't tell who is who but feel inclined to write detailed reviews. if you can't tell keith's playing from mick taylor's...

Date: May 30, 2015 02:06

anarchistcigarette
Bitch 3/5
Too much pointless noodling by Taylor here unfortunately, it kind of takes away from the groove and makes the whole thing seem less dangerous.

the noodling is by keith, obviously. still surprises me people can't tell who is who but feel inclined to write detailed reviews. if you can't tell keith's playing from mick taylor's...

Of course it's Keith, Mick even shouts ''come on Keith''. It's just that I'm so used to it being Taylor who stands for all the pointless noodling that I automatically wrote Taylor instead of Keith.

anarchistcigarette
still surprises me people can't tell who is who but feel inclined to write detailed reviews

Thank you but I'm not interested in hearing what someone called ''anarchistcigarette'' thinks I'm inclined to do or not.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 02:24 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:07

anarchistcigarette
Bitch 3/5

Love In Vain 5/5
Very heartfelt singing, Ian Stewart adds some really fine emotional nuances. Great solo by Taylor also...

In my book it's Nicky Hopkins playing here. "On piano Nicky Hopkins"

Date: May 30, 2015 02:08

kleermaker
anarchistcigarette
Bitch 3/5

Love In Vain 5/5
Very heartfelt singing, Ian Stewart adds some really fine emotional nuances. Great solo by Taylor also...

In my book it's Nicky Hopkins playing here. "On piano Nicky Hopkins"

Ok, I listen very little to Taylor-era Stones so I didn't know. Thanks for correcting me.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 30, 2015 02:10

TeddyB1018
Naturalust

peace

What about Keith??

Well yeah, he was pretty much driving the whole thing. He was obviously having a great time. I don't think the Stones can ever really have a truly great show without Keith being great. I think Jagger was listening to Keith a lot more during this period.

One of the things I liked about the show was that it was mighty loose and adventurous. Both the singing and the playing show that they were taking chances, playing and singing their parts with pure feel for the moment, not as tied to how they were supposed to play based on rehearsed parts. Jagger actually screams with passion at times..not particularly great for the vocal chords but it's like he didn't give a crap about protecting his voice for the next show..that "it's all about tonight we may be dead tomorrow attitude" that is so rock and roll. We'll never get that vocal commitment from him again. I think they were just all genuinely more passionate about the music back then.

Note to TheBlockbuster: Appreciate your comments some of them were spot on. I think what you are hearing from Jagger on SFM is just a tired voice at the end of a very energetic show where he hadn't learned to protect his voice yet. He was still trying to put it out there but that's all he had left.

peace

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: May 30, 2015 03:43

I have been listening a lot to this now. I have been listening to it while being sober, I have been listening to it while being drunk. I have been listening to it while trying to sleep and I have been listening to it while dancing alone in the living room (yep, drunk again). I have been listening to it at crap sound devices and I have been listening to it at good sound devices. All I can say is: wow!!!!! This is something special. The sound is so good. Bill's bassplaying! And Taylor, wow, never liked his playing that much. But this.... Keith is so flawless. And Jagger, well maybe the best I have ever heard from him. Charlie is of course good as always.... This must be the best release from the stones in many years!

The best tracks imo is Roundhouse MR and LIV. Wow!!!!!! Best MR ever! And I love that slow LIV. Nice solos......

(and if you wonder, while writing this review, I'm drunk, again.... winking smiley)

Date: May 30, 2015 05:58

The Roundhouse stuff really is special. Very cool to have more '71 stuff, especially some songs that didn't make it into the '72 setlist and have been rearranged since '69.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 30, 2015 10:53

This release might as well be one of the best releases by the Stones ever. This even surpasses Ya-Ya's, and that's quite a feat. I don't think Jagger has ever sang better than on these shows. I always found Taylor to overplay in 1970 and 1971, but that is simply not the case here. It's utterly fantastic. And these shows also show that Charlie Watts really is the best drummer in the world, and he really does make the Stones so special. Charlie IS the Rolling Stones.

The mix and sound is fantastic. The previous releases from the Archive all sounded too modern, brickwalled and compressed. Especially the drums (mainly the snare) sounded fake and too modern. The sound is just bloody fantastic on this release!

Mathijs

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: May 30, 2015 11:21

Mathijs I agree 100% with you. This is fantastic. Not only the performance but indeed also the sound! Brussels 1973 has this very strange drumsound which I don't like at all. Now this sounds truly fantastic. Roundhouse in particular.

Bob Clearmountain did a good job on this one it seems.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 30, 2015 11:57

"Horns are not welcome in this song, it's supposed to be a rock song. The drama is never really there, and the chorus falls a bit flat. I prefer the Lick-tour versions"

Imo SCB with horns a step beyond the sweet 69 versions. It's filled with agression and anger and I like it!
As for the Licks versions let's be charitable and not say a word about them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-30 12:00 by dcba.

Date: May 30, 2015 12:10

SCB from the Roundhouse (with horns) is pure excellence.

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: May 30, 2015 12:40

DandelionPowderman
SCB from the Roundhouse (with horns) is pure excellence.

Absolutely!

Date: May 30, 2015 13:53

Horns are VERY welcome in SCB imo. And in LIV. They are perfect in the mix...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 13:58

TheBlockbuster
Okay, as the non-taylorite I am, who has never heard the full show beofre, I'll give a short song-per-song review after hearing the full concert in perfect stero, thanks to Kleermarker.

Jumping Jack Flash 5/5
Fantastic, I love Taylor's short and tasteful solo after the first chorus. Jagger's singing, seems more inspired than in 72-73

Live With Me 4/5
Bill & Charlie makes the song.

Dead Flowers 2/5
The simple guitar intro is very underwhelming, horrible guitar tone from both guitars. The swing is only ok.

Stray Cat Blues 2/5
Horns are not welcome in this song, it's supposed to be a rock song. The drama is never really there, and the chorus falls a bit flat. I prefer the Lick-tour versions.

Love In Vain 5/5
Very heartfelt singing, Nicky Hopkins adds some really fine emotional nuances. Great solo by Taylor also...

Midnight Rambler 3/5
Kind of weak compared to the roaring Roundhouse version actually.

Bitch 3/5
Too much pointless noodling by Keith here unfortunately, it kind of takes away from the groove and makes the whole thing seem less dangerous.

Honky Tonk Women 3/5
The closest this song ever got to sounding like the studio version, even though it felt a bit too much like a happy flower-power tune before 1975.

Satisfaction 4/5
A bit inspired by Otis Redding's cover maybe? More exciting than it will be on the Zip Code-tour, that's for sure.

Little Queenie 3/5
A bit too slow... It rocked harder in 1997.

Brown Sugar 5/5
This is like a hybrid between the Studio version and the Brussels version. Excellent...

Street Fighting Man 1/5
So unfocused and Jagger sounds like he doesn't give a shit. The whole band actually sounds like amateurs. One of the few songs they play better these days.

Let It Rock 5/5
I prefer the old b-side stereo mix, cause it has Jagger louder in the mix. On the other some great rhythm playing by Taylor is revealed by this mix.

Note:
The real star of this show is Bill Wyman, and the new mix highlights his playing throughout. Overall the Roundhouse show is obviously better.

i can't tell if this review is serious or tongue in cheek, so much of it is so opposite of what i think... except for the comments on JJF.

Date: May 30, 2015 14:01

I think I agree with mathijs on this being better than Ya Ya's. It might be that the good sound quality fools me, but at this point I think they play better on these recordings than on Ya Ya's....

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 15:30

Mathijs
This release might as well be one of the best releases by the Stones ever. This even surpasses Ya-Ya's, and that's quite a feat. I don't think Jagger has ever sang better than on these shows. I always found Taylor to overplay in 1970 and 1971, but that is simply not the case here. It's utterly fantastic. And these shows also show that Charlie Watts really is the best drummer in the world, and he really does make the Stones so special. Charlie IS the Rolling Stones.

The mix and sound is fantastic. The previous releases from the Archive all sounded too modern, brickwalled and compressed. Especially the drums (mainly the snare) sounded fake and too modern. The sound is just bloody fantastic on this release!

Mathijs
Don't forget that "Get yer" tour got only one show (hyde park) before 1969 tour for the new era.
UK tour 71 had 2 more tours of experience. These new shows are fantastic.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 30, 2015 16:24

have the stones said who has been deciding which performances to release over the past few years? it would be interesting to know. this one sounds like a great discovery.

Date: May 30, 2015 16:37

Seems that it's 'Pre-Order' now.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 30, 2015 16:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

A full Roundhouse show then I would agree...

I wrote off the '71 tour after listening to the mono Leeds show years back, but Im back on the bandwagon now!

Date: May 30, 2015 16:45

Turner68
i can't tell if this review is serious or tongue in cheek, so much of it is so opposite of what i think... except for the comments on JJF.

It's very serious, but exaggeration is sometimes necessary to make an interesting review.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1834
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home