Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 40
Re: San Diego CA USA 24-May-2015 Rolling Stones live show updates
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 26, 2015 21:41

Were you there John Nicholls ?

I do hope the fans on The Zipcode Tour are gonna get the same 'Satisfaction' as we did in Europe, and for myself especially the Madrid gig.

One of three with Oslo and Zurich which were all great.

This video brings back great memories of Madrid, with Andreea, Wilfried, Gabor and of course dear Sonoko , who very sadly is no longer with us.

I will think of Sonoko at every Rolling Stones gig looking down at us and really enjoying the show.

God Bless you girl. smileys with beer

Posted by: tomy1 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 21:44

Did anyone at the SD show have Lucky Dip tickets - if so what section did you end up with?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 26, 2015 21:56

Wow crawdaddy, that was a great video. Not only an awesome version of that tune but some excellent footage of happy fans. Brought a huge smile to my face, thanks for that.

peace

Posted by: KevinP1980 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 21:59

The San Diego Sunset poster and shirt are up on website for sale.

Date: May 26, 2015 22:03

Naturalust................I am Tony,the grey haired old geezer in the video by the way.
That was one of Andreeas many videos and you may have seen the one of how she met all four of our lads and she had a hug with Keith. smileys with beer

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:16

Naturalust
Again you're probably spot on....but I still don't like it. She probably has her fans but the whole vocal diva thing doesn't work for the Rolling Stones, imo.
I'd rather hear Mick change the melody or have someone else do it. I also don't like the way Lisa's voice blends with Mick's in harmony or unison. Either two voices work together or then don't, and imo, Lisa's and Mick's don't.

That whole Gimme Shelter thing worked great but should have ended right there. smoking smiley

peace
I know what you mean. Personally I have no problems with that, I really like her voice and I don't think it's bad that you can still clearly hear who is Mick and who is Lisa.
Personally I more have a problem with Bernard doubling Micks parts. I heard that on Doom and Gloom and Street Fighting Man. He actually does that pretty good but somehow there is something I don't like about it.

Posted by: kate2 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:18

I agree with Naturalust about Lisa. Mick was very aware of the problem. Does anyone have a photo of him next to Ronnie with both his hands over his ears when she was singing? It was really loud and I thought off key. Next, Mick ran down the ramp where she was and might have signed something to her and did something to the mike or sound box on his waist? Does that box control what he hears thru those ear plugs or his sound? I was using binoculars..between the drunks and swinging smart phones.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:18

Keef551
I've been to many shows starting in 1978 and was happy with Sunday's show. They exploded out of the gate and found many satisfying grooves. Sure, there were some over extended songs and some rough spots, but it's live two guitar weaving rock, it's not reading sheet music. It's a real live rock band and from that perspective, they were effing brilliant. Jagger is pretty untouchable right now. He's amazing. I found this show to be better than the last tour. They seemed looser and tighter at the same time, if you know what I mean. And I loved Karl Denson's stuff. I'm glad people can express themselves on this site, but man, there is a lot of ridiculous bickering that is way below what IORR is all about. Rock on, everybody.

I totally agree with this review.....andI'm from the Stones "class of 1978" too!

Posted by: wellalright ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:28

would it kill mick and keith to share a mic just once? that would be the dog whistle to we diehards. the ultimate statement.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:30

Yeah Kate, Mick has a kind of remote control on his belt. He operates his in-ear monitors with that. You can see in this clip how utterly professional he adjusts his volume
by clapping at the beginning of Get off of my Cloud, then goes over to Chuck and indicates it's not quite right yet. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:31

wellalright
would it kill mick and keith to share a mic just once? that would be the dog whistle to we diehards. the ultimate statement.

thumbs up That puzzles me, too, for quite some time.
I mean, it's one of THE archaetypical poses in Rock 'n' Roll, and Keith since long has no bad teeth anymore, hehehe ... grinning smiley

Date: May 26, 2015 22:34

I do want the thank the Rolling Stones for touring the USA again. I never thought I would see them again live. The Petco show was very good and I do not think that we really expected it to be perfect.It was a real rock and roll concert. [At least there were no dead microphones and tap, tap, taping to see if they worked. No guitars leads starting the wrong songs.] I thought Mick sounded great. He is really a fascinating person when you think about his ability to do a show like that, move and sing for 2 hours...keep the band together, make movies, keep track of world events etc. I do not think he does touring for the money. I think he loves the 5 star hotel life and entertaining. I took my nephew to the show. It was his first real concert..age 24. He stood there with his mouth opened for 2 hours. I had to tap him to take photos.
Also, I am glad they still use the big microphones and not headsets.
If I expected perfection, I would go to Las Vegas to see Britney lip sync and fall down and break her ankle. More later...I have to unpack!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 22:40 by kate2.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:34

wellalright
why? They're touring at age 70+ continuing to make history. They can afford the best equipment and do not need to share. People at the shows are digging the crap out of the music. Why would anyone care about what mics they sing into? I think they don't because they would feel silly doing so.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:44

Rokyfan
wellalright
why? They're touring at age 70+ continuing to make history. They can afford the best equipment and do not need to share. People at the shows are digging the crap out of the music. Why would anyone care about what mics they sing into? I think they don't because they would feel silly doing so.

them sharing a mike would be a little too kitschy at this point, almost as bad as doing something like playing a loop of the studio version cowbell at the beginning of HTW live

oh wait....

Date: May 26, 2015 22:47

kate2
I agree with Naturalust about Lisa. Mick was very aware of the problem. Does anyone have a photo of him next to Ronnie with both his hands over his ears when she was singing? It was really loud and I thought off key. Next, Mick ran down the ramp where she was and might have signed something to her and did something to the mike or sound box on his waist? Does that box control what he hears thru those ear plugs or his sound? I was using binoculars..between the drunks and swinging smart phones.

Didn't notice that but it's interesting and good on you for picking up on it. What song was that? The control box at his waist probably has a single control for the overall volume of his in-ear monitors. It doesn't control the relative volume of his vocal vs. Lisa's and it's possible he was signaling the monitor engineer, who does have that control beside the stage, to turn Lisa down a bit.

In general what the audience hears is a separate mix and unless there was feedback from the main PA through one of the mic's, what the band is hearing is totally different that what we hear. A signal to turn Lisa down would likely involve him pointing or otherwise directing attention to her followed by a finger pointed toward the floor.

Lisa was too loud on CYHMK in the audience mix for sure.

peace

Posted by: Summergirl ()
Date: May 26, 2015 22:49

roller99
Everything about the band sounded awesome last night, considering it was a stadium show. I must however post about the facility and the security team "Elite Inc." that was hired to run the show. We had front row tickets, and as soon as the show started, people who had no business being there rushed the area in front of the seats. When we went to stand at the barrier we were accosted and yelled at by the security people. One woman in particular was trying to do her personal best imitation of an she-nazi. She ruined the entire vibe of the show and we left before the encore. "Sit down! Get back to your seats or we'll kick you out!" I thought the audience was really cold too, nowhere near as vibrant as Staples 2013. San Diego is a nice city, but I will never drive down there for a concert again, they have no clue as to how to stage a major event.

Could not have said it better myself, roller!

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:03

Another review from San Diego at dirty rock magazine with one of our guys in California!! [www.dirtyrock.info]
Carlitos
Tenerife
[www.dirtyrock.info]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 23:04 by carlitosbaez.

Date: May 26, 2015 23:07

thumbs up

Date: May 26, 2015 23:11

I am so glad I cancelled my VIP Start Me Up tixs. I realized Petco had no clue, when they called me back and asked me when the presale and general tix sale was. Also, i looked at the floor seating from old concert photos online and figured I would be crushed. People were smashed into seats and the bars were not necessary. I would not have wanted to be sitting above 50 toilets either.
Mick kept going down and trying to get people on the floor to clap but they all had cell phones up the the air and could not clap. If they didn't have a phone in the air, they were using they hands to hold up the drunk standing next to them. Floor reserve seats in 123 were just off the floor and about the bar on Keith's side. Sound was a little off. Interestingly, I spoke to many people around me and they had all purchased their tix from Stub Hub..No one from reg ticket.com.
People were from all over. Below me 2 girls from South Africa. Next to my nephew. guy from PHX,..drove in and bought tix in parking lot. Behind me 4 fans flew in from El Paseo..checking into by hotel. Fans on oxygen in from Alaska.

Date: May 26, 2015 23:15

IMO they should bring back GA again.

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:16

tomy1
Did anyone at the SD show have Lucky Dip tickets - if so what section did you end up with?

Our pairs were awarded very high up rows (see arrows) in 319 and 324. Actually, 319 was row 27, the highest/last row at the very top of the stadium. 319 is on the far side of this shot; 324 in foreground.

Date: May 26, 2015 23:18

Turner68
Rokyfan
wellalright

them sharing a mike would be a little too kitschy at this point, almost as bad as doing something like playing a loop of the studio version cowbell at the beginning of HTW live

oh wait....

Well for one thing it produces a very natural mix when they share a mic, and it's a welcome show of affection between the two.

Lots of threads on this for anyone more interested. thx with sssoul.

[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]
[www.iorr.org]

peace

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:18

crawdaddy

I do hope the fans on The Zipcode Tour are gonna get the same 'Satisfaction' as we did in Europe, and for myself especially the Madrid gig.

This video brings back great memories of Madrid, with Andreea, Wilfried, Gabor and of course dear Sonoko , who very sadly is no longer with us.

I will think of Sonoko at every Rolling Stones gig looking down at us and really enjoying the show.

Wonderful video. It brings back so many great memories - there is something about European stadium shows. I love the fact that if you have a FOS ticket, you can basically show up when gates open and be in the second row. In Stockholm in 2013, I was amazed that we were able to walk in AFTER the warm up act and still get to the rail in front of the screen. I'm convinced that in many European cities, life is just too good to spend a summer day waiting in line.

Posted by: KevinP1980 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:26

We had a great experience with the Start Me Up package. Pretty seamless actually. Walked right in the gate passed all the lines. Free food and drinks before hand and the seats were good! A3 row 26. We spent the majority of the night in the seats then ended up just dancing our asses off on the floor in back. Good times and worth the 525 for sure smiling smiley

Date: May 26, 2015 23:32

Naturalust, It was when Lisa was singing Gimme Shelter, right before Mick hit the runway, that both his hands were over his ears. He adjusts or signals at the end of the ramp, with her. I have not found a close shot yet on line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 23:32 by kate2.

Date: May 26, 2015 23:34

drbryant
crawdaddy

Wonderful video. It brings back so many great memories - there is something about European stadium shows. I love the fact that if you have a FOS ticket, you can basically show up when gates open and be in the second row. In Stockholm in 2013, I was amazed that we were able to walk in AFTER the warm up act and still get to the rail in front of the screen. I'm convinced that in many European cities, life is just too good to spend a summer day waiting in line.

Totally agree. smileys with beer

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:39

stoneslib
tomy1

Our pairs were awarded very high up rows (see arrows) in 319 and 324. Actually, 319 was row 27, the highest/last row at the very top of the stadium. 319 is on the far side of this shot; 324 in foreground.

Holy crap! For a second I thought this was the view from your lucky dip seats!

Date: May 26, 2015 23:40

crawdaddy
drbryant
crawdaddy

Totally agree. smileys with beer

You said it DrBryant, but it wasn't quite that long ago!

Date: May 26, 2015 23:41

KEVIN...I am glad the start me up worked out for you. I am 100 lbs and could not have handled that floor crowd. 2005 Petco Rolling Stones we had 6th row, end, floor seats and the concert was the best I have ever been to. I knew I could not relive that experience. I spent most of 2005 show standing at the front of the stage. Not many guards and I do not remember all the lights we had the other night, in front of row 1?? Also, no bars on the floor and much fewer people.
Besides the the band was staying at my hotel, so after the show by brother and I sat at Charlie and Bobby's table. Tiny bar! 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 23:42 by kate2.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: May 26, 2015 23:44

I love the Stones to death. I have seen a few shows, 1972, 1975 and 1999. I would like Keith to mix it up with his guitar/amp combo. It's killer on songs like JJF, Dice and such, but would like a rounder, fuller, bassier sound like he got from the Ampeg stacks and different guitars in the earlier years on some songs. These guys still "bring it" live, incredible.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 40

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home