Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:37

I have to give it to Keith - his first solo attempt after Mick "craped out twice"
TIC is gritty heartfelt one of my all time favorite albums love it all !

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: Chester ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:45

Always loved Don't Tear Me Up.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 22, 2015 01:22

I should say Wandering Spirt is defiantly Micks best solo work - but I would listen to TIC over it.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 22, 2015 01:42

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
This is a "provoke an argument" type of thread lol.
So i have learnt a lesson on here not to get drawn in.
People who prefer Mick will go with WS. People who prefer Keith will go with TIC.
I happen to think Both are very good albums. Best mick on his own. Best keith on his own. So far winking smiley
There i did it.

both are ridiculously great albums. I think TIC is best 'latter half of the 80s' 'stones-album' and WS best 'stones-album' of the 90s.

There is something about the last six Stones studio albums, except voodoo lounge. I cant put my finger on it, but all i can say is i hardly play them. That says it all. Could be down to the production. The music is all there but the sound ?. Could be time to drop Don was if they make a new album. I don't know. But yes i play TIC a lot more for sure.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 22, 2015 02:36

Let's go to the death match arena, the floor covered in blood, broken record shards, and yards of shredded magnetic tape.

Two Stones enter, one Stone leaves!

Leeeeetttt's get rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrready to rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrummmmmmmmmmmmmbllllllllllllllllllllllllle!

BEGIN!

1. Big Enough vs. Wired All Night - Big Enough is cool, jazzy funk. Good track. Keeper. Wired All Night is a great, fun rocker that I enjoy, but I think it's the second weakest track on WS. I give the edge barely to Big Enough. Keith 1 - Mick 0

2. Take It So Hard vs. Sweet Thing - Take It So Hard is a very cool rock song. Solid, Stonesy rocker. Great, I love it. But I really love my Sweet Thing, and I can't give it up. Mick wins this one easily for me, because I always really enjoy listening to Sweet Thing. Keith 1 - Mick 1

3. Struggle vs. Out Of Focus - Struggle is a darker, more intense mid-tempo rocker with an excellent groove. Out Of Focus is awesome, a joyous country-gospel hybrid. Love this tune, great lyric imagery. And the music is fantastic. Both songs are keepers, but I give the edge to MJ. Keith 1 - Mick 2

4. I Could Have Stood You Up vs. Don't Tear Me Up - I Could Have Stood You Up is a fun, retro boogie. Always enjoyed this song. I really like Don't Tear Me Up, but there are better countryesque numbers on the album. I think it's a very solid song, but in a tight battle, I declare Richards the winner of this round. Keith 2 - Mick 2

5. Make No Mistake vs. Put Me In The Trash - I hate to be the exception on this thread, but I honestly don't care for Make No Mistake. I kind of like Keith's singing, but the female vocalist is really uninspired. I don't like the song itself, sorry. In contrast, I think Put Me In The Trash is fun, feel good music with a good sense of humor. I think the music is definitely solid and catchy. Mick gets this one easily for me. Keith 2 - Mick 3

6. You Don't Move Me vs. Use Me - I think You Don't Move Me is a solid, dark song. The bridge is fairly weak, but overall a good track. I know it's the most Jagger slamming track ever, but it's still a really good song with a unique, sad vibe. I sincerely love Use Me. I think it's a roaring cover. I've always liked Lenny Kravitz, and I think he pushes Mick to a higher level here. And it's not possible for me to get tired of the song itself. Super funk. This one I would want to declare a tie, or give the edge to Keith since it's an original song instead of Mick's cover, but honestly I just dig Use Me too much. If I could only request one of these two songs to hear on the radio, I would have to go with Use Me. Keith 3 - Mick 4

7. How I Wish vs. Evening Gown - How I Wish is pleasant, but feels more like a half-formed idea. Pretty much just a chorus. In contrast, I think Evening Gown is brilliant songwriting. To me, it sounds like a classic country ballad right out of the gate. Love those lyrics in the chorus, and it has a really nicely written bridge. Stellar work. This round is an easy win for Mick. Keith 3 - Mick 5

8. Rockawhile vs. Mother Of A Man - Rockawhile is even less formed than How I Wish. But I still enjoy it decently enough. Mother Of A Man is an enjoyable rocker, but sort of average and unexceptional. I would like to score it a tie, but I will give it barely to Mick, because Keith's song sounds too unfinished. Still, it was a close round. Keith 3 - Mick 6

9. Whip It Up vs. Think - Whip It Up is trying to be charged up rocker, but somehow feels a little lethargic to me. In contrast, Think is raucous and rowdy, with the funky drummer getting funky and blazing it up. Jagger keeps it rocking with another round in the books. Keith 3 - Mick 7

10. Locked Away vs. Wandering Spirit - I like Locked Away, but it's not really a great song. Kind of forgettable, in my opinion. But even if was a classic, I don't think it could beat Wandering Spirit. This song is MAGNIFICENT. This is seriously one of my favorite songs of all time. It's a blues rock masterpiece in my opinion. The music itself is crazy good, and Mick's lyrics are on another level. So, so good and tasty. Keith 3 - Mick 8

11. It Means A Lot vs. Hang On To Me Tonight - It Means A Lot is simple, but decently funky. Not a great song. Hang On To Me Tonight is not great, but is very good. The only drawback is it feels similar to the superior Evening Gown (and pales in comparison), but I still think it's an excellent country song that doesn't pander to country cliches or seem like a slight parody. Mick wins the round. Keith 3 - Mick 9

So, I would give Mick the win, 9 to 3. Sorry, Keith. Better luck with Main Offender vs. Goddess In The Doorway.

Mick has so much energy after the fight, he shadowboxes for three solid rounds!

12. I've Been Lonely For So Long - A soulful cover, enjoyable if unexceptional. I can definitely listen to it when listening to the whole album in one sitting. A good track, but nothing really stands out as amazing.

13. Angel In My Heart - I like it. It seems sincere and pretty. I do like that it's so different. But I naturally gravitate toward more rockin' tunes, so I don't really rank it very high when the rest of the album is taken into account.

14. Handsome Molly - Really enjoy the restrained production and Mick's singing on this one. While covers like "I've Been Lonely For So Long" seem sort of predictable at this point, this traditional Irish folk song was definitely out of left field. And I think Mick knocks it out of the park. Great to hear him sing with just a pair of violins behind him.

There's actually less hate for Wandering Spirit in this than I expected. That's a pleasant surprise.

I confess that WS is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I went into this pretty much confirming my suspicions. I think WS is both unified in sound and diverse in material. There's a real focus all the way through.

I really enjoy Talk Is Cheap, but I think the first six songs are significantly stronger and more enjoyable than the last five. But that's only my tone deaf opinion.

Bravo, Wandering Spirit. For this victory, I award you a plywood album, and a loving cup spray painted gold.

I'm sorry, Mick, but our princess is in another castle!

GAME OVER

Play again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 02:46 by jahisnotdead.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 22, 2015 03:17

treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

Yeah, we're about to tread into a pretty dangerous area now...Mick vs. Keith. The BEST vs. The BEST....Wandering Spirit/Talk Is Cheap Tete-a-tete!

All right guys, keep it clean!

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - easy, Mick takes round one...lovely way to kick off your album...shoulda been on a stones album (that might be the recurring theme here, come to think of it) 1-0

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - LOVE IT! Battle of the lead singles...they must have been in a band together before to come up with putting the lead single in the number two spot. Anyhoo....I do love both. Sweet Thing bass line is so low it blows my cheap speakers on any volume over 5. This one is quite difficult actually...let's give it to Keith, 1-1

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - this one is not a struggle at all. Out of Focus is sublime quasi-gospel...transcendent. 2-1.

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - A good song, and a great song. Don't Tear Me Up is leagues above ICHSYU...Mick is on a tear 3-1

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - I LOVE PMITT...love it. But make no mistake about it, MNM may be the best song on both albums...easy...3-2

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - keith, you just don't move me with this one, and I don't like you attacking mick that way either. Use Me is fantastic, Mick at his growliest best. 4-2

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - close matchup here...this one's unexpected from Mick, and unexpectedly good. How I wish I liked the Keith song better! sad smiley Mick widening the lead, 5-2

Mother of a Man vs. Rockawhile - landslide. Mick. 6-2

Think vs. Whip It Up - I think...7-2

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - OK, this could be my favourite song on MJs, and then we have a pretty decent Keith ballad...how I wish we could have had locked away go up against something else. LOVE WANDERING SPIRIT (the song) 8-2

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - gorgeous Mick ballad, vs. a song that doesn't really mean a lot. Mick! 9-2

Oh man...can't believe how one sided that was on the track by track battle. I actually love Keith's album only marginally less than Mick's.

OK, final song I've Been Lonely For So Long vs.______ Keith wisely doesn't include another track, let's give him this one for editing capability...9-3

Mick trounces Keith....pummels him!

Wow, good job MJ, don't rub it in Keith's face, that wouldn't be nice.

This is exceptional.

Olly.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 22, 2015 03:34

I love Talk is Cheap but Wandering Spirit is superior , Mick did a great job!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 10:17

Olly
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

Yeah, we're about to tread into a pretty dangerous area now...Mick vs. Keith. The BEST vs. The BEST....Wandering Spirit/Talk Is Cheap Tete-a-tete!

Wired All Night vs. Big Enough - easy, Mick takes round one...lovely way to kick off your album...shoulda been on a stones album (that might be the recurring theme here, come to think of it) 1-0

Sweet Thing vs. Take It So Hard - LOVE IT! Battle of the lead singles...they must have been in a band together before to come up with putting the lead single in the number two spot. Anyhoo....I do love both. Sweet Thing bass line is so low it blows my cheap speakers on any volume over 5. This one is quite difficult actually...let's give it to Keith, 1-1

Out Of Focus vs. Struggle - this one is not a struggle at all. Out of Focus is sublime quasi-gospel...transcendent. 2-1.

Don't Tear Me Up vs. I Could Have Stood You Up. - A good song, and a great song. Don't Tear Me Up is leagues above ICHSYU...Mick is on a tear 3-1

Put Me In The Trash vs. Make No Mistake - I LOVE PMITT...love it. But make no mistake about it, MNM may be the best song on both albums...easy...3-2

Use Me vs. You Don't Move Me - keith, you just don't move me with this one, and I don't like you attacking mick that way either. Use Me is fantastic, Mick at his growliest best. 4-2

Evening Gown vs. How I Wish - close matchup here...this one's unexpected from Mick, and unexpectedly good. How I wish I liked the Keith song better! sad smiley Mick widening the lead, 5-2

Wandering Spirit vs. Locked Away - OK, this could be my favourite song on MJs, and then we have a pretty decent Keith ballad...how I wish we could have had locked away go up against something else. LOVE WANDERING SPIRIT (the song) 8-2

Hang On To Me Tonight vs. It Means A Lot - gorgeous Mick ballad, vs. a song that doesn't really mean a lot. Mick! 9-2

Oh man...can't believe how one sided that was on the track by track battle. I actually love Keith's album only marginally less than Mick's.

OK, final song I've Been Lonely For So Long vs.______ Keith wisely doesn't include another track, let's give him this one for editing capability...9-3

This is exceptional.

you are too kind, unless you're being sarcastic, in which case then you are too sly!

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 10:56

Besides Evening Gown, the best songs on WS are covers. Wired All Night, Out of Focus, Don’t Tear Me Up etc. are undeniably appealing but since it’s a solo album Mick has no business recycling the classic Stones sound. I’m sorry but not even he can make it sound authentic. Sweet Thing, Evening Gown and Angel in My Heart (Hard Woman types) – THAT’s what belongs on a Mick Jagger solo album!

Keith’s effort, on the other hand, is pure Keith...the unadulterated riffmaster. In a song for song battle, yes, he loses, but overall his is the more genuine album. I really think it has an Exile quality to it in that you have to listen to it in its entirety to get the most out of it.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 22, 2015 12:06

Just like how in ancient Egypt they could build those huge pyramids, it will always be a unsolvable mystery for me how someone can listen to Wandering Spirit without embarrassment. It's as if the album is made especially for Holden Caulfield to mutter about its fakeness. In the past weeks, every time in fact that I have read someone on IORR praising the album, I have tried again and again listening to it. It baffles me. It's physically impossible for me to sit through it, comparable to seeing the office nerd, drunk after two glasses of wine on the christmas diner, try to act cool.
Still, I like both the analyses of treaclefingers and jahisnotdead, although - apart from what they say about WS - I don't agree exactly with their descriptions of Talk Is Cheap.

Big Enough A weak song. Keith's voice is not good for this kind of "funky" material, and in any case, there's hardly a song at all.

Take It So Hard Very interesting and it grew on me over the years. Before listening to TsC, I expected some "standard" Stones rock album from Keith. Take It So Hard shows Keith can take rock to some other place, with a more ad-libbed, loose feeling. Also, very groovy.

Struggle Alright, but not great.

I Could Have Stood You Up Nice try, but it's too rockabilly for me.

Make No Mistake Not as good as "Hate It When You Leave" on MO, but still, it shows Keith's voice is very good for these kind of soulful ballads.

You Don't Move Me I don't care if it's about Mick, God, or the neighbour's cat. The melody and the whole feel of the song is great.

How I Wish This is probably the most "Stones-y" song on the album. It's okay, but not very surprising.

Rockawhile I love it. I know it's nothing spectacularly new or innovative or original. It isn't even much of a song. Just a laid back groove and a repetitive melody not going anywhere. Keith is a master in songs that are not going anywhere, they do not always work, but when they do, they are perfect. Why go anywhere, if you're already at the place to be?

Whip It Up Here, this looseness doesn't work very well. Also, his voice is not so good in this one.

Locked Away Yes, good.

It Means A Lot Again, this is hardly a song, but more like a fingerpost of where you can go with a guitar. I find it wildy fascinating, the whole build-up, the clashing of guitars, and how Keith is sort of ad-libbing on top of it. It works for me.

Posted by: bernard90mike ()
Date: July 22, 2015 12:50

You are comparing a pop album and a classic rock album confused smiley

They are both great albums - the question is if you prefer Mick's perfect shaped pop tunes or Keith' rough rock tunes.

I love them both smileys with beer

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 13:16

treaclefingers
Turner68
on the basis of this new evidence regarding keith's voice i am appealing the decision on this death match and ask that it be re-opened!!!!!

i shall be writing you all a memo about it in the morning.

- Turner.

Still waiting for the supposed memo from Turner.

memos can't be rushed. remember, you all work for me.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 22, 2015 13:17

bernard90mike
You are comparing a pop album and a classic rock album confused smiley

They are both great albums - the question is if you prefer Mick's perfect shaped pop tunes or Keith' rough rock tunes.

I love them both smileys with beer

Hm, but Abbey Road by the Beatles, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac and "their best hits" by ABBA are all pop, and I like all of those.
For me, a better comparison is with Lenny Kravitz, and I think it's no coincidence that he appears on WS too. I can see what Kravitz tries to do too, but I don't believe in it either. But of course, there are millions of people who love Kravitz (or Bon Jovi or Brian Adams), so I guess there's no mystery there. The mystery is how someone like Mick Jagger who has sung some of the best rock/country/blues/pop songs in the world, ends up making this. But I guess I will have to keep on trying, a few times per year, until somehow I'll be able to listen to it with other ears.

Date: July 22, 2015 13:22

Olly
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

This is exceptional.

How can i put this without breaking the rules and causing offence.
Its like this.
Your both incredibly wrong !!!
To prove it, even though Mick Jagger is the most mega famous Rock star in the world. No, actually the most famous human being in the world, Talk Is Cheap still outsold wandering Spirit. In 88' Keith was no where near as well known as he is today. It outsold WS because it is clearly better than WS.
I rest my Case winking smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 22, 2015 16:57

treaclefingers
Olly
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

This is exceptional.

you are too kind, unless you're being sarcastic, in which case then you are too sly!

I'm not being sarcastic; I mean it's unusual.

It's a novel approach to me to compare two albums track by track, comparing track one with track one, track two with track two, etc.

Olly.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:17

I don´t think that WS is an album full of "polished pop tunes". Think of Mother Of A Man, Wandering Spirit, Sweet Thing, Wired All Night as pop tunes? Compared to Norwegian Death Metal maybe... Wandering Spirit is the opposite to Primitive Cool and She´s The Boss, which are polished pop albums indeed.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:20

which album could I listen to repeatedly the longest, from beginning to end?

Keith's!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:37

keefriffhards
Olly
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

This is exceptional.

Its like this.
To prove it, even though Mick Jagger is the most mega famous Rock star in the world. No, actually the most famous human being in the world, Talk Is Cheap still outsold wandering Spirit. In 88' Keith was no where near as well known as he is today. It outsold WS because it is clearly better than WS.

I guess Ariana Grande is better than the both of them combined in that case!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 17:51

Talk is cheap is great, and Wandering Spirt is Mick best solo work = draw

But Talk is cheap and Main Offender are better than any other Mick solo album...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: July 22, 2015 18:35

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
Olly
treaclefingers
ohhhh....nelly.

This is exceptional.

Its like this.

I guess Ariana Grande is better than the both of them combined in that case![/quote

TIC and WS are competing in the same market place. So its fair to say that Keith outselling Mick is a surprise to most people. So i think it just shows its an album with better appeal.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 22, 2015 18:41

talk is cheap by a country mile . those were all songs written for a stones album and you can clearly hear in the tracks of the album.the lyrics as well

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:01

TheGreek
talk is cheap by a country mile . those were all songs written for a stones album and you can clearly hear in the tracks of the album.the lyrics as well

you sure about that?

Date: July 22, 2015 21:27

TheGreek

While a agree with your sentiments, you are talking rubbish about the fact that those are Rolling Stones songs..

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:42

How could these be Stones-songs. All Talk-Is-Cheap-Tracks are written by Richards/Jordan.

Date: July 22, 2015 21:52

HMS
How could these be Stones-songs. All Talk-Is-Cheap-Tracks are written by Richards/Jordan.

Cheers HMS i thought i was going mad there.
Those are Keith's very own babies alight.

Keith is the man..

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 22, 2015 21:58

keefriffhards
HMS

Keith is the man..

he was in a Jagger- hatin' mood when he wrote a few of them

so its doubtful he thought they'd be on any Stones record..

Date: July 22, 2015 22:18

duke richardson
keefriffhards
HMS

Keith is the man..

he was in a Jagger- hatin' mood when he wrote a few of them

so its doubtful he thought they'd be on any Stones record..

You have a very valid point there. Keith may have kept these songs under the radar for yers .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 13:09 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 22, 2015 23:38

i've come to realize that "treaclefingers" middle name is "trouble" and he's doing 2-4.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 23, 2015 00:01

Nothing new here. Mickfans prefer WS, Keithfans prefer TIC. Surprise, surprise! Instead: How predictable! This "discussion" has actually nothing to do with the music on these albums, despite pretending to. I'd rather discuss the evolution of the ant. But not here, don't worry! Bye.

Date: July 23, 2015 00:45

Turner68
i've come to realize that "treaclefingers" middle name is "trouble" and he's doing 2-4.

turner 68 how you doin dude

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home