Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 24, 2015 19:05

treaclefingers
matxil
I tried, I really tried, but I cannot listen to the entire "Wandering Spirit". "Sweet Thing" is sort of okay, although the production is terrible, but the rest of it, the way Mick sings and the overall sound of it, I find it unbearable. So "Talk Is Cheap" wins by default. Even "Main Offender" would win, which although it is much weaker, at least I can listen to it.

How do you listen to EXILE? Mick sings a lot of those songs too.

Oh, maybe you're only listening to Happy?

I think Exile might be the Stones album I listen to the most. And though I like Happy, it's not my favourite song on it. Actually, I consider Exile as one entire set of music, which you have to listen from beginning to end (not including the later added bonus tracks). But what does Exile have to do with Wandering Spirit? On Exile Mick's voice still sounds natural, and the production is miles away from Wandering Spirit. Exile has roughness, it has guitars, it has a swampy, murky sound. It's their best album in many ways.
Are you seriously comparing it with Wandering Spirit? Or are you seriously saying that Mick sings the same way on both albums?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 19:06 by matxil.

Re: ALBUM DEATH MATCH (solo edition) - Mick vs. Keith - Wandering Spirit vs. Talk Is Cheap
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 24, 2015 23:44

Unless you have absolutely no taste in music at all, and are TONE DEAF, there is no competition...Mick wins by a landslide. I wouldn't give Keith more than one and I'm not sure of that. Keith fanatics would bash Mick anyway and I guess Mick fans are a bit biased too...but, objectively speaking, the guitar playing on MO is sub-par, the writing if horrific, the melodies are, well...NOT melodic! I bought MO and thought it would be good...big disappointment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-24 23:45 by mickschix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 25, 2015 05:53

mickschix
Unless you have absolutely no taste in music at all, and are TONE DEAF, there is no competition...Mick wins by a landslide. I wouldn't give Keith more than one and I'm not sure of that. Keith fanatics would bash Mick anyway and I guess Mick fans are a bit biased too...but, objectively speaking, the guitar playing on MO is sub-par, the writing if horrific, the melodies are, well...NOT melodic! I bought MO and thought it would be good...big disappointment.

but the comparison is with TIC, not Main Offender.

In that regard I think they are well matched against each other!

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: May 25, 2015 05:58

Perhaps Mickschix would rather compete Talk is Cheap with Primitive Cool. Wonder how that would turn out? cool smiley

Posted by: 751st ()
Date: May 25, 2015 07:36

Not even close for me. Talk Is Cheap is in my top 3 solo Stones albums.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 25, 2015 09:10

Drbryant writes:
It's hard to match up one song against another.

1. Gimme Shelter or Come Together? (GS best song in rock history, Stones 1-0)
2. Love in Vain or Something (Beatles 1-1)
3. Country Honk or Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Puh-leeeze. Stones 2-1)
4. Live with Me or Oh Darling (Stones 3-1)
5. Let it Bleed or Octopus' Garden (Uh, yeah. Stones 4-1)
6. Midnight Rambler or I Want You (Again, not even close. Stones 5-1
7. You Got the Silver or Here Comes the Sun (OK, Harrison tries to keep things close. Still Stones 5-2)
8. Monkey Man or Because (MM epic. 6-2)
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want or Medley (close. The Stones get points for having a complete, finished songs, but the Medley is beautiful 6-3
Allright Allright Allright..Wait a second here...

1. Gimme Shelter or Come Together? (What in this World is Better than Come Together? Lennon 0 - 1)
2. Love in Vain or Something (Stones 1-1)
3. Country Honk or Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Puh-leeeze. Stones 2-1)
4. Live with Me or Oh Darling (Live with me is pure boring Macca 2-2)
5. Let it Bleed or Octopus' Garden (Duh, that wasn't fare to Ringo Stones 3-2)
6. Midnight Rambler or I Want You (Lennon all the way 3-3
7. You Got the Silver or Here Comes the Sun (OK, Harrison tries to keep things close. Still Stones 4-3)
8. Monkey Man or Because (Lennon easy win 4-4)
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want or Medley (That Macca medley is about the best ever written in Music history all categorys 4-5)

Conclusion, Beatles last studiowork still kicks

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 09:13 by Come On.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 25, 2015 15:27

mickschix

This is an outrage

Date: May 25, 2015 15:29

Because is better than MM??? confused smiley

Date: May 25, 2015 15:39

Munichhilton
mickschix

This is an outrage

I'd have to agree...either of these albums is singularly better than anything they've released since Undercover.

For me, these are very close albums in quality and like I think the best song between the two albums is probably Make No Mistake.

Date: May 25, 2015 15:49

I am so surprised by these comments, that I will try again today to listen to Wandering Spirit. Let's see if there is anything on it even better than "Wicked as It Seems".

Date: May 25, 2015 16:31

I could manage until the sax-solo of Think. I find it unbearable.
The fake growling voice: "I'm shooting to kiwah", "Out of facaws" (What is a "facaws" anyway?), the lame 80's sound (especially of the sax and the organs). Even on "Sweet Thing" which has a nice funky rhythm, the electric organ (or synthesizer or whatever it is) spoils it. "Put me in the Trash" made me wonder: is this really the same guy who sang Little Queenie on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out?. "Use Me", I admit, I skipped the part where Lenny Kravitz came in, another artist from the late 80's, early 90's who I cannot stand. The album brings back everything I hate about that period: Duran Duran, Matt Bianco, Prince, the "pseudo-heavy-rock" solos on Michael Jackson, Status Quo, Bon Jovi,... So, yeah, I probably *am* tonedeaf.

All I can say is, to soften to blow, so the bruises don't show, I am going to listen to MO now.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 25, 2015 18:05

mickschix

Said by someone that clearly has "absolutely no taste in music at all, and" is "TONE DEAF".

Date: May 25, 2015 19:34

matxil
The fake growling voice: "I'm shooting to kiwah", "Out of facaws" (What is a "facaws" anyway?), the lame 80's sound (especially of the sax and the organs). Even on "Sweet Thing" which has a nice funky rhythm, the electric organ (or synthesizer or whatever it is) spoils it. "Put me in the Trash" made me wonder: is this really the same guy who sang Little Queenie on Get Yer Ya Ya's Out?. "Use Me", I admit, I skipped the part where Lenny Kravitz came in, another artist from the late 80's, early 90's who I cannot stand. The album brings back everything I hate about that period: Duran Duran, Matt Bianco, Prince, the "pseudo-heavy-rock" solos on Michael Jackson, Status Quo, Bon Jovi,... So, yeah, I probably *am* tonedeaf.

All I can say is, to soften to blow, so the bruises don't show, I am going to listen to MO now.

with due respect to your review matxil (and thank you for your effort!), you seem completely out of facaws.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 25, 2015 20:35

I'd put Wandering Spirit up against any post 70's Stones album and it would win. Such a fantastically perfect album.

Date: May 25, 2015 20:36

treaclefingers
matxil

with due respect to your review matxil (and thank you for your effort!), you seem completely out of facaws.

So now Keith's album is way better than Mick's even though he said Mick's album is great even to tone deaf people?

The nerve.

Not to mention it makes zero sense. Then again, matxil is TONE DEAF.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-25 20:38 by GasLightStreet.

Date: May 25, 2015 22:43

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
matxil

So now Keith's album is way better than Mick's even though he said Mick's album is great even to tone deaf people?

The nerve.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, now I understand. I already had problems understanding your previous message. Okay, I'll clear it up. There are two users. One has the name: "mickschix" and the other has the name "matxil" (me). I admit, both have an "m" and an "x" in common, so, hey, it's confusing. But it's easy to distinguish: "michschix" (Mick's chicks?) thinks Wandering Spirit is great and finds everyone who thinks differently "tone-deaf". "matxil" (me) is me, and I think WS is horrible, really difficult to even listen to. So according to mickschix (which, suffice to say, is not me), I am tonedeaf. Which maybe I am.

Yes, MO is better than Mick's WS, not because it's great (am I the only one who thinks "Will But You Won't" and "Running Too Deep" is twice the same dish?) but because at least I can listen to it without feeling embarrassed and annoyed. And tonedeaf.

Yours sincerely,

matxil (no Mick's chick)

Date: May 25, 2015 22:51

treaclefingers

smileys with beer

Date: May 26, 2015 01:28

matxil
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
matxil

The nerve.

Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, now I understand. I already had problems understanding your previous message. Okay, I'll clear it up. There are two users. One has the name: "mickschix" and the other has the name "matxil" (me). I admit, both have an "m" and an "x" in common, so, hey, it's confusing. But it's easy to distinguish: "michschix" (Mick's chicks?) thinks Wandering Spirit is great and finds everyone who thinks differently "tone-deaf". "matxil" (me) is me, and I think WS is horrible, really difficult to even listen to. So according to mickschix (which, suffice to say, is not me), I am tonedeaf. Which maybe I am.

Yes, MO is better than Mick's WS, not because it's great (am I the only one who thinks "Will But You Won't" and "Running Too Deep" is twice the same dish?) but because at least I can listen to it without feeling embarrassed and annoyed. And tonedeaf.

Yours sincerely,

matxil (no Mick's chick)

HOLY CRAP! HA HA! You're RIGHT! Damn. I didn't even notice that. Jeeze.

Half the time I quote someone I end up commenting in their comments, wondering where what I said went...

It can get confusing.

OK well it was funny anyway, the whole TONE DEAF thing.

Date: May 26, 2015 01:30

Good grief. Yeah, one after the other. Read it, laughed, thought WTF? and didn't notice the slight difference in detail of the name...

Hey, it happens.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:04

AH!!!!!!!!!! I love pulling Keef fans out their seats by the short hairs! THRILLING!
And Treaclefingers, you are RIGHT, the comparison is between WS and TIC not MO...glad you pointed that out. Just that I really dislike MO a lot! Not fond of ANY of Keith's solo stuff, and of course not every track on every Mick solo cd is wonderful, but if you compare entire catalogs, MJ is clearly the overall winner.IMO!! >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 02:12 by mickschix.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 02:13

mickschix
AH!!!!!!!!!! I love pulling Keef fans out their seats by the short hairs! THRILLING!

Without Keith, mick would be a retired gym teacher in the London suburbs.

Date: May 26, 2015 02:59

mickschix
And Treaclefingers, you are RIGHT, the comparison is between WS and TIC not MO...glad you pointed that out. Just that I really dislike MO a lot! Not fond of ANY of Keith's solo stuff, and of course not every track on every Mick solo cd is wonderful, but if you compare entire catalogs, MJ is clearly the overall winner.IMO!! >grinning smiley<

I was offended by main offender when it came out, mainly because it TIC had set such a high standard. A couple of ok tracks but not enough there for me to even think about it, let alone ever grab for the CD.

Both TIC and Wandering Spirit are fantastic albums...both guys top of their (solo) game...I wonder whether either could even have been improved as 'Rolling Stones albums'.

I do wonder that, because it's not as though the band's subsequent albums were better. Moments of greatness, 1/2 of ABB, Out of Control, Saint, Thief, 1/2 of Voodoo, D&G and Plundered (OK that's a cheat, as is SG deluxe).

As entire albums though, Wandering Spirit and TIC beat them all.

Date: May 26, 2015 03:11

You're still TONE DEAF!

Date: May 26, 2015 04:00

GasLightStreet
You're still TONE DEAF!

Wasn't Tone Def a rapper in the early 90s?

...it's like mick jagger said I can't get no satisfaction.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: May 26, 2015 04:45

spsimmons
I'd put Wandering Spirit up against any post 70's Stones album and it would win. Such a fantastically perfect album.

Is that you Jann Wenner?

Only someone who gave Dogshit in the Doorway a 5 star review could think Wandering Spirit is a "fantastically perfect album".

WS has its moments, but is far, far from perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-26 04:45 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 26, 2015 06:47

treaclefingers
mickschix

I was offended by main offender when it came out, mainly because it TIC had set such a high standard. A couple of ok tracks but not enough there for me to even think about it, let alone ever grab for the CD.

Both TIC and Wandering Spirit are fantastic albums...both guys top of their (solo) game...I wonder whether either could even have been improved as 'Rolling Stones albums'.

I do wonder that, because it's not as though the band's subsequent albums were better. Moments of greatness, 1/2 of ABB, Out of Control, Saint, Thief, 1/2 of Voodoo, D&G and Plundered (OK that's a cheat, as is SG deluxe).

This is an outrage

Wicked As It Seems and Eileen make Main Offender better than 76 1/2 other things you can name

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: May 26, 2015 07:06

Great Argument.

Fact is:

"Talk Is Cheap" Saved The Rolling Stones

"Wandering Spirit" gave cred To Mick's solo aspirations which
at that point were over.

Hands down...The winner for us Stones Fans..."TALK IS CHEAP!"

Nothing in the Stones catalog after Tattoo You compares to
"Makes No Mistake" and "You Don't Move Me".

PECMAN

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2015 07:09

Pecman
Great Argument.

Fact is:

"Talk Is Cheap" Saved The Rolling Stones

"Wandering Spirit" gave cred To Mick's solo aspirations which
at that point were over.

Hands down...The winner for us Stones Fans..."TALK IS CHEAP!"

Nothing in the Stones catalog after Tattoo You compares to
"Makes No Mistake" and "You Don't Move Me".

PECMAN

Well said! I agree.

Date: May 26, 2015 07:13

Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix

This is an outrage

Wicked As It Seems and Eileen make Main Offender better than 76 1/2 other things you can name

I did mention MO had two ok tracks...so whaddya want from me?!

Date: May 26, 2015 11:20

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
mickschix

This is an outrage

I did mention MO had two ok tracks...so whaddya want from me?!

Ahem... how about "Hate It When You Leave"? (Those drums grow on you, when you listen to it enough)

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2147
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home