Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Song that turned you on to the Stones
Date: May 13, 2015 17:16

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
SSC

It took you a while...

I wanted to make sure they weren't some 'flash in the pan' bubble gum band before I fully committed.

LOL! I thought you were referring to She Saw Me Coming. Forgive me grinning smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:16

June 1982
Going To A GoGo was running when I entered my record store.
Then listened to the B-side of the LP, bought it ... and here I am.

Posted by: Bsebastian ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:19

actually in my case it wasn't a song, it was the movie gimme shelter. i knew the stones well, but seeing and hearing them playing live on the 69 tour is what hooked me.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:23

My first song was Mixed Emotions. My dad showed me the promo video. Then, a little while later, he took me to see Live at the Max in Imax (it was a re-run, back years later from popular demand), and I LOVED IT!! I remember hearing Keith hit that first chord from Start Me Up, and my jaw probably literally dropped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 17:24 by stones2000.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:29

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
SSC

It took you a while...

I wanted to make sure they weren't some 'flash in the pan' bubble gum band before I fully committed.

LOL! I thought you were referring to She Saw Me Coming. Forgive me grinning smiley

to quote Pete Townshend from R&R Circus...YOU ARE ALL FORGIVEN

Posted by: keithglimmer ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:33

EddieByword
keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer
EddieByword
keithglimmer
Rocks off - the first cut on the first album I bought when I was 7 years old in 1972. Imagine my moms shock when I ran around the house singing THAT!

The question is, did you turn her on to the Stones? - she must have been the same age or thereabouts as the band anyway..........

Actually, she turned me onto Elvis Presley who in turn, like the Stones, opened up a whole world of blues , country & R&B by their choice of cover tunes.

Ok, cheers, that's good mothering to be sure but lol, I'm still intrigued, how does a 7 year old end up with his hands on / buying Exile?

I joined the Columbia house record club. They would send you records for cheap if you sent in the post card that accompanied their ad in various magazines. They would continue to send the records until you managed to stop them. The first 10 or so were practically give aways but the price went way up after that. Many 7 year olds got caught in the Columbia house trap I suspect. I selected Exile having no idea who the stones were.

I know, we had a similar thing in the UK in the 70s, my mother freaked when the bill came......(mine were Hawkwind, Alice Cooper etc, at that time....

Serendipity at it's finest, ex.............

I remember so well my mother picking me up from school with my albums ,that had arrived that day, in the car. She was remarkably calm & good natured about it once she saw my excitement. I remember an Eric Clapton album too.

Posted by: kohoutek ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:34

I was watching some show with my mom when I was 7 or 8, and they showed the promo video for It's Only Rock n' Roll. I was already listening to Zeppelin, Hendrix, and The Beatles at this age, but this was my first conscious awareness of The Stones. I remember my mom saying she did not like them, and I remember loving the sound as well as the attitude of the band, but I was also a little concerned about the growing "threat" from those bubbles.

Shortly thereafter I heard "Angie" on the radio in the car with my mom, and again, she told me she hated this song (her name is Angela, and she hates being called "Angie," so, of course, I sing this song to her to this day).

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: May 13, 2015 17:38

I must have heard them many times before, on fun fairs where I first got to hear what my grandma called "forbidden music", and on the radio, however, not being aware who it really was to play such cool music. First time I positively knew that it was the Stones

was hearing BROWN SUGAR.

I heard it on my little transistor radio on the NDR2 hitparade on a Saturday evening in the early summer of 1971.

"Here's some hot stuff from the wild boys", the man on the radio said, and it kind of hit me hard and I knew that that was the real thing and that I wanted more.

Date: May 13, 2015 17:55

MISS YOU

And now that the one song I never ever want to hear live again!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 13, 2015 18:01

Wild Horses.

Then, sampling through the rest of Hot Rocks - Ruby Tuesday, Street Fighting Man, Under My Thumb, Mother's Little Helper, Play With Fire, Time is on My Side, Let's Spend the Night Together, and of course, Satisfaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 18:02 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Crackinup ()
Date: May 13, 2015 18:21

When I was a kid and heard JJF on the top 40 AM radio station, I knew I could never go back to the Archie's.

Posted by: jasona93 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 18:34

stratt219
Opening riff of Can't You Hear Me Knocking. The first time i heard it i kept stopping it as the song hit the chorus and replaying from the beginning - maybe 20 times in a row. I was forever hooked.

all of this! enjoying reading everyone's answers however.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 13, 2015 18:44

I was thrilled by Tell Me and Walking The Dog from the album "The Rolling Stones" listening at a friends place and "It's All Over Now" blasting out of a jukebox in 1964, it's either one of those, some time ago.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 18:46

Honky tonk woman.

Early seventies and my parents owned an old gramophone player, still cant recall where i got the single from, but always remember the first chords booming out and the rest is history.

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: May 13, 2015 19:11

I have an older brother and sister who played rock n roll so I heard the Stones as an adolescent without really knowing it was them. In the summer of 1974 I read the Anthony Scaduto biography of Mick Jagger while vacationing with my family in France. It intrigued me. I recall that It's Only Rock N Roll came out as a single in August of 1974 (and Richard Nixon was resigning the U.S. presidency) as we left France for London to fly back to Canada. On the drive out to Heathrow I could see the Stones' graffiti campaign for IORR on some of the road signs. Returning home I played the Stones records in my home. Sticky Fingers blew my mind. I knew the song Wild Horses and just never understood that it was the Stones. I loved that song.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 19:37

OK, I cheated. I merged my memory with some research and it most probably was "It's All Over Now." Back in the day you got your music mostly on the radio and radio played the singles. It is not a very good song lyric-wise, but it jumped out of your speakers (and still does). And that was enough at the time.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 13, 2015 20:51

Listening to the "Under My Thumb" Intro on "Still Life" at a record store in 1982, wow, JUST WOW ! Never looked back since, hehe ;-)

Before that I'd listened to my Dad's EPs (Lady Jane, Mother's Little Helper) or Single (Street Fighting Man) and quite like them but hadn't been blown away.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 13, 2015 21:23

I'm probably a late comer to the band but I remember hannging around at the swimming pool as a teenager and hearing Beast of Burden and Shattered and thinking that was the coolest stuff I've ever heard and was hooked.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 13, 2015 22:29

Come On, 1963...

Age thirteen, listening to Radio Luxembourg when I ought to have been asleep, hearing all those great early singles. Didn't know any album tracks in those days, just what was played on the radio - other early songs I particularly remember are Play with Fire and Off The Hook, but it was Not Fade Away that really hooked me.

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 13, 2015 22:30

Wow, thanks everyone for joining this discussion. I've read every post and you've all brought me back through the first time I heard each of the songs you mention. Good reading!

Posted by: kristian ()
Date: May 13, 2015 22:56

It´s all over now.
I was 11 (years young).
Since then, the world´s never been the same.

Posted by: tmccool1 ()
Date: May 13, 2015 23:05

When I was 10 years old, I won a little red AM transistor radio when I guessed the number of jelly beans in a jar at the school fair. My little brother was really pissed off because he entered a lot of guesses, and I entered just one. So Mom had to buy another little red AM transistor radio like mine to keep him happy.

Every Sunday night, I listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on my little red radio. Then during the week I'd take my lawn mowing money and buy 45s of the songs I liked. I remember hearing Honky Tonk Woman and Brown Sugar on my radio, or riding in the car with Dad and Mom. But I guess my musical taste had not evolved, or I was too young, because I knew of The Rolling Stones but I wasn't interested.

In the summer of 1972 I turned 13 years old. I heard Tumbling Dice on the radio and it just clicked. Maybe it was hormones or puberty or something. I bought the 45 with the die-cut tongue sleeve. I wasn't ready to buy full LPs yet.

From that point forward I was a Stones fan. I bought every LP on the week of its release beginning with Goats Head Soup. And I still do.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: May 13, 2015 23:21

Heartbreaker. Along with 100 Years Ago and Angie. But it was really Heartbreaker. I was only 13 years old and had never heard anything like that. That and looking at the album cover was real cool.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 13, 2015 23:32

nomis
Heartbreaker. Along with 100 Years Ago and Angie. But it was really Heartbreaker. I was only 13 years old and had never heard anything like that. That and looking at the album cover was real cool.

Ha, exactly the same as me...Angie drew me in (TOPT), a week later I heard GHS...Heartbreaker was the clincher....I was 13 too.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-13 23:33 by EddieByword.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:00

Heart of Stone and We Love You somewhere in '67/'68 age 13/14, and some others I can't recall, with 8 older brothers and sisters there were huge Rolling Stones single and LP collection around the house.
And still remember discovering Beggars Banquet .......

Posted by: ThumpinJackFlash ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:01

Beast of Burden....

Heard it on the beach during the summer of 2012, which was a good year to be a Stones fan, as we know. Instantly hooked.

Date: May 14, 2015 00:02

nomis

Looking at album covers was cool indeed..................

Posted by: Snoopy ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:03

NICOS
nomis

Looking at album covers was cool indeed..................

Yes! I studied the heck out of liner notes. Funny how much detective work it took to learn about the band, who played what etc, back then -- now it's "Google"

Date: May 14, 2015 00:06

tmccool1
When I was 10 years old, I won a little red AM transistor radio when I guessed the number of jelly beans in a jar at the school fair. My little brother was really pissed off because he entered a lot of guesses, and I entered just one. So Mom had to buy another little red AM transistor radio like mine to keep him happy.

Every Sunday night, I listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on my little red radio. Then during the week I'd take my lawn mowing money and buy 45s of the songs I liked. I remember hearing Honky Tonk Woman and Brown Sugar on my radio, or riding in the car with Dad and Mom. But I guess my musical taste had not evolved, or I was too young, because I knew of The Rolling Stones but I wasn't interested.

In the summer of 1972 I turned 13 years old. I heard Tumbling Dice on the radio and it just clicked. Maybe it was hormones or puberty or something. I bought the 45 with the die-cut tongue sleeve. I wasn't ready to buy full LPs yet.

From that point forward I was a Stones fan. I bought every LP on the week of its release beginning with Goats Head Soup. And I still do.

Cool story ..you still have your little red transistor radio?

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: May 14, 2015 00:12

Flash

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1616
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home