Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Terrifying
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:00

Naturalust
Stones light. Where is the tone and balls in the guitars? Where is the rock and roll? Where is the danger and excitement? This is about a far from what I expect from the Stones as I hope they ever get. It's like they are a top 40 band playing at a local dance club. Yeah it's slick and polished but it does absolutely nothing for me. A perfect example of the Stones who lost their way as a leading rock and roll band.

peace

Where is the tone and balla in the guitars? I'll tell you: They are GONE on this track, and that's the whole point of it. The Stones can't be guitar-based, rock and balls all the time. Sometimes even The Stones need to get out of the comfortzone and explore what also exists in the music world.
The Stones would not be among my favourite bands if they not sometimes also took chances and contradicted my expectations to them. Fine if people want to hear them play Satisfaction and Brown Sugar over and over, but I'm not always in the mood for guitar-rock based on 4 chords. Otherwise, I could just be listening to AC/DC, where you know what you're going to get, even before you have bought the record.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:02

Naturalust
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Stones light. Where is the tone and balls in the guitars? Where is the rock and roll? Where is the danger and excitement? This is about a far from what I expect from the Stones as I hope they ever get. It's like they are a top 40 band playing at a local dance club. Yeah it's slick and polished but it does absolutely nothing for me. A perfect example of the Stones who lost their way as a leading rock and roll band.

peace

I agree to a certain extent. Do you like a band like TOTO ? I think they could have created an exiting and burning product out of this kind of song, with the late Jeff and Steve Porcaro, even with Jagger on vocals, cause I think he's doing quite ok here. A matter of competence. The Stones cannot do this kind of music in a convincing way.. They were too much of a garage band. And a good one.

I actually like the band TOTO, am friends with a couple members. They can really rock better than their most popular tunes suggest. Steve L. is a pretty amazing guitarist and they are all actually great musicians. Personally, I think they really were trying a bit too hard to put out commercially successful music instead of following any unique and real musical vision, stung by the success of a couple rather sappy tunes...always trying to repeat that success.

I agree Jagger's vocal are Ok here, it's just not the kind of thing I ever wanted for the Stones. Seeing Keith playing this song makes me wonder what happened to to Mr. Rock and Roll. I get the feeling Mick was driving this approach and the other guys were just along for the ride.

peace

What happened to Mr Rock and Roll, or Ron Wood for that matter? They cannot play like Steve L. I'm not comparing them, but always stick to what you're good at.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:06

LuxuryStones
Naturalust

peace

I agree to a certain extent. Do you like a band like TOTO ? I think they could have created an exciting and burning product out of this kind of song, with the late Jeff and Steve Porcaro, even with Jagger on vocals, cause I think he's doing quite ok here. The Stones cannot do this kind of music in a convincing way...a matter of competence. They were too much of a garage band. And a good one.

The Stones were not just a garage band but they had their roots in blues and rock, reggae, funk, soul and disco. A lot of them sixties and seventies songs had that danger in them and fans trashed the concert halls at the time. Nowadays people wanna be entertained and have a good time at concerts. The times are changing and I do not like Toto.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:08

I really like its nice groove and sound. My only quibble is it kind of illustrates Mick's later criticism of STEEL WHEELS: "The songs were kind of unfinished." It could've used another chord or two.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:16

Blueranger
Naturalust

peace

Where is the tone and balla in the guitars? I'll tell you: They are GONE on this track, and that's the whole point of it. The Stones can't be guitar-based, rock and balls all the time. Sometimes even The Stones need to get out of the comfortzone and explore what also exists in the music world.
The Stones would not be among my favourite bands if they not sometimes also took chances and contradicted my expectations to them. Fine if people want to hear them play Satisfaction and Brown Sugar over and over, but I'm not always in the mood for guitar-rock based on 4 chords. Otherwise, I could just be listening to AC/DC, where you know what you're going to get, even before you have bought the record.

Hope you are if you're going to any shows this summer because that's what we're going to get. grinning smiley I do understand what you're saying about musical variation but for me this just isn't the right direction. I much prefer swings into the folk, country and blues genres that they have done so well with in the past. A warm sounding acoustic with some great piano, soulful vocals and interesting beats instead of the thin too clean electrics, four on the floor disco beat and one chord approach of Terrifying. Both Charlie and Keith are putting me to sleep with this one.

peace

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:36

Great song! Mick sublime interpretation, great guitars, great Wood.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 11, 2015 21:42

well its a good example of a 'fun lyrics ' type of song Jagger enjoyed song surely..

and Wyman- Watts hit that groove and build it out..

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 11, 2015 22:17

not a great fan of this track but quite like the album, mainly due to the fact it was the first they released since i became a fan 2 years earlier. also the album had more variety than the previous one.

continental drift
break the spell
almost hear you sigh
slipping away
blinded by love
hold on to your hat

are my favourites from steel wheels.

the rest vary from ok to pretty crap.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 11, 2015 22:20

Silver Dagger
Loved the 12" mix of this.

The same here!

Posted by: Duked ()
Date: September 17, 2023 01:25

The song's wikipedia page lists an interesting info: "Nick Mason – rototoms", instead of what's written in the CD booklet (Luis Jardim - percusssion).

Is it true? I can't find any other source about this. The wiki page doesn't have the source of this.
But I believe this info (the Pink Floyd drummer played on a Stones song) would have made its circles in the media by now, if it was true. What's sure is that Nick Mason played/plays roto-toms, it can be heard on Dark Side for example.
Does anybody knows something about this?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2023 06:19

yeababyyea
Terrifying is a good song but it's a bit too corny and nonsensical for my taste.
I prefer the rougher Stones songs.
Imagine if they would have played this song live in Paris 1976... And released it on Love You Live... People would have thought they were joking.

It wouldn't've sounded like 1989 though. It would've been very dirty.

Date: September 17, 2023 06:29

Naturalust

peace

Really?

ONE SONG makes you feel that way?

I feel the same way about an album called DIRTY WORK.

That's way more than one song.

Why do they always need to be "a leading rock and roll band"? What does that even mean?

I'm gonna guess you don't like these "where is the rock and roll" songs:

Wild Horses
I Got The Blues
Sweet Virginia
Shine A Light
Turd On The Run
100 Years Ago
Hide Your Love
Winter
Till The Next Goodbye
Through The Lonely Nights
If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Hot Stuff
Fool To Cry
Memory Motel
Miss You
Faraway Eyes
Shattered
Everything Is Turning To Gold
Dance
If I was A Dancer
Emotional Rescue
Send It To Me
All About You
No Use In Crying
Heaven
Waiting On A Friend

a few others...

Some of those songs are dangerous.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: September 17, 2023 15:25

Have always loved the slinky groove of this track. SW was, along with Sticky Fingers, my first Stones records- given by a friend in 1993. SF, even on first listen, was wondrous. I was intrigued with SW in that they could still kick with power in 1989, at the time their most recent studio album.

The opening trio had such rhythmic power, bass and drums cooking beneath cool guitar licks. A swagger, perhaps not with Rocks Off cool, but with a great vibe nonetheless.

The closing four equally as good - Continental, Sigh, Spell, Slipping. Over produced, more slick & sheen that previous records, but a sublime run particularly with Sigh & Slipping Away.

In the middle I enjoy Hearts For Sale & Blinded by Love, but it is the opening three and closing four that give SW that cache that keeps me revisiting all these years later.

(The B Sides are keepers- Fancyman & Wish I'd Never Met You in particular).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 15:26 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: September 17, 2023 16:39

I always thought that Terrifying was just an ok track.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 17, 2023 16:55

Love the guitars on this one. Absolute pros: Ronnie's lines are very tasty and the doubled and panned rhythm guitar by Keith keeps it interesting.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 17, 2023 17:03

Aha? No balls in the guitars? On Dirty Work? Wow. I´m glad that it´s not my opinion. I have my own. And that´s all I need. cool smiley

Date: September 17, 2023 18:50

So,anybody anything...? smiling smiley

Duked
The song's wikipedia page lists an interesting info: "Nick Mason – rototoms", instead of what's written in the CD booklet (Luis Jardim - percusssion).

Is it true? I can't find any other source about this. The wiki page doesn't have the source of this.
But I believe this info (the Pink Floyd drummer played on a Stones song) would have made its circles in the media by now, if it was true. What's sure is that Nick Mason played/plays roto-toms, it can be heard on Dark Side for example.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: September 17, 2023 22:17

Duked

For what it' worth...In the book, The Rolling Stones, ALL THE SONGS by Philippe Margotin and Jean-Michel Guesdon, on page 580 and in reference to Terrifying, they have this to say, "Another important element is Matt Clifford's synthesizer. He can be heard producing vibraphone (or celesta) sounds and coming in with numerous percussion effects (including timbales and cowbells), probably on a Yamaha DX7. These can be heard from 4:13. Chuck Leavell, meanwhile is on an organ." Timbales being a percussive instrument somewhat similar to roto-toms. The page also includes all the musicians that contributed to the track and there is no mention of Nick Mason.

Hope this helps.

Date: September 17, 2023 23:36

Thanks! Interesting...

northof49
Duked

For what it' worth...In the book, The Rolling Stones, ALL THE SONGS by Philippe Margotin and Jean-Michel Guesdon, on page 580 and in reference to Terrifying, they have this to say, "Another important element is Matt Clifford's synthesizer. He can be heard producing vibraphone (or celesta) sounds and coming in with numerous percussion effects (including timbales and cowbells), probably on a Yamaha DX7. These can be heard from 4:13. Chuck Leavell, meanwhile is on an organ." Timbales being a percussive instrument somewhat similar to roto-toms. The page also includes all the musicians that contributed to the track and there is no mention of Nick Mason.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 18, 2023 03:28

I love when people try to pigeonhole the Stones into being just a rock and roll band. That was only an era. They involved from a blues/r&b cover band into pop artists of the highest caliber. Time and time again they plugged into the current zeitgeist and came out with incredible songs. Elizabethan, Psychedelic, reggae, disco, and all without losing that indefinable Stoneness.

Steek Wheels was the capper on their recording career. (Unless Hackney rises to that level). Their full maturity. It was time they tackled a jazz tune. (Isn't Out of Control pretty jazzy?) They proved proficient at it. What an amazing rhythm section they had. Bill and Charlie just played whatever was put in front of them.

Terrifying is great cut from a great band that was so much more than rock and roll.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 18, 2023 05:50

One of my favorite tracks on SW. Nice groove and unstoppable drive. Infectious and addictive.

And one of the less frequently played numbers on the SW/UJ tour, only 20 times in all. 13 times towards the end of the SW US tour and 7 times during the early stage of the UJ tour. Never played during the SW Tokyo Dome residency in between for some reason. Never played on other occasions.

I caught 7 SW shows, 2 in America (Pittsburg and Cincinnati, in early part of the tour) and 5 in Tokyo. Never heard this song live. Missing piece from my SW experiences.

[www.setlist.fm]

Date: September 18, 2023 10:30

Duked

Duked

There are detailed credits in the liner notes. If Nick Mason played on a Stones track he would be credited.

Date: September 18, 2023 20:47

Bjorn
Aha? No balls in the guitars? On Dirty Work? Wow. I´m glad that it´s not my opinion. I have my own. And that´s all I need. cool smiley

LOL not literally. It's more about the attitude 'Where did The Rolling Stones go?' with DIRTY WORK. And, of course, not the entire album but in general.

To cast the band away as losers because of one song is extremely bizarre. I can't stand Rock And A Hard Place or Sweet Neo Con and a few others but that doesn't mean OMFG they SUCK! etc.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 19, 2023 15:07

Ordinary filler done extraordinarily well. In order words, I’ts just an ok song, but it’s played well enough. Just not a stand out track.

Rod

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: September 21, 2023 19:30

Never like this song,very boring

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home