Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Out Of Tears versus Streets Of Love: 1-0
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 20, 2015 00:40

Just saying.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-21 17:55 by RipThisBone.

Re: Out Of Tears versus Streets Of Love: 1-0.
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 20, 2015 14:28

Out of tears - Street of Love: both useless songs.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 20, 2015 14:33

I disagree, SOL wins hands down :
- it has a memorable melody
- there is a live version with Taylor on it !

Generally speaking VL has to be the album with Mick's worst contributions (Jugular, Rainbows, I Go Wild, etc...), as if he was completely dried up from the excellent WS. Too bad he didn't push harder for "Honest Man" or "Ivy League".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 20, 2015 15:17

I rather go for OOT. It has a more sentimental mood,emotional touch. At least it moves Me more than SOL.

But,...i really like Both Songs !!

Jeroen

Date: April 20, 2015 15:44

gotdablouse
I disagree, SOL wins hands down :
- it has a memorable melody
- there is a live version with Taylor on it !

Generally speaking VL has to be the album with Mick's worst contributions (Jugular, Rainbows, I Go Wild, etc...), as if he was completely dried up from the excellent WS. Too bad he didn't push harder for "Honest Man" or "Ivy League".

But from VB, VS and VR we know that he wasn't dried up...

I'd say both songs are clunkers, but they have one thing in common: They both worked far better live in concert.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 20, 2015 15:54

Clunk and clunk again. Next!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 20, 2015 15:56

On OOT Ron laid a tasty slide solo...

Date: April 20, 2015 15:59

dcba
On OOT Ron laid a tasty slide solo...

+1

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 20, 2015 16:03

Nah rather 1 - 1.....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: April 20, 2015 20:01

I vote Streets of Love

Date: April 20, 2015 21:35

SOL was AMAZING at Atlantic City...

OOT...cant remember it, but I saw it twice in DC.

Love both the songs!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 20, 2015 21:41

UndercoverLovingcup

Love both the songs!

Yes I was there. Micks performance was jaw dropping.

Date: April 20, 2015 22:22

More Hot Rocks
UndercoverLovingcup

Love both the songs!

Yes I was there. Micks performance was jaw dropping.

Thats why i laugh at the SOL haters...they are clueless as to the potential of that song LIVE...great crowd potential and guitars that are so clear and unadulterated with nonsense like a horn sections ...it really is like the SFTD of the bizarro world, if that makes sense.

That nite in AC also saw the best ADTL ever played...a great SHe Was Hot as well as a wonderful Loving Cup...all in top form!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-20 22:23 by UndercoverLovingcup.

Re: Out Of Tears versus Streets Of Love: 4-2.
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: April 20, 2015 23:56

Half time scoring.

Note: This thread is not about the LIVE-versions, but the official albumtracks.
I agree Streets Of Love was great live in Europe 2006-2007.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: April 21, 2015 02:00

Out of Tears is a GREAT song. Streets Of Love could have been a great song if it's lyrics weren't so "aweful".

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 06:53

I love them both! And, Time Waits For No One, and Till the Next Time We Say Goodbye...

I love the slow ones...(And JJF)

Re: Out Of Tears versus Streets Of Love: 5-2.
Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: April 21, 2015 09:29

This is a no brainer. Out Of Tears by a mile-a Moonlight Mile!

Re: Out Of Tears versus Streets Of Love: 5-2.
Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 21, 2015 09:46

Compare OOT and SOL with Winter and Moonlight Mile... Poor, poor instrumentation. Not sure that I should praise Ron Wood's guitar playing on Out Of Tears. That being said, someone like Prince could have done something ace with these cheesy songs.

Re: Out Of Tears versus Streets Of Love: 1-0
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 21, 2015 18:12

A real sleazefest this. A tie, maybe? I would choose Angie over those two though. At least Angie could be excused since it was made already in the early seventies.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 21, 2015 18:23

I like both, I don't think they are anywhere near the quality of the fantastic Stones ballads from the 70s or 80s (the ballads from Tattoo You and Steel Wheels (AHYS & Slipping Away).

SOL was mauled on release here, many hated it with such a passion; it does sound a bit like a latter day Aerosmith ballad, or one of those post-2000 disturbing Bon Jovi ballads. However, it has grown over time, the live performances I think really gave it a new lease of life and fans went back to listen to it again. What saves it is the chorus hook, "I..I..I...I... walk the streets..", wonderful pop hook.

Out of Tears is good, but missing that spark to elevate it to the level of sublime Stones ballads like Winter, Moonlight Mile..etc.

I'd probably give this one to SOL; the chorus hook is so good it pushes 'Streets ahead of 'Tears' methinks.

Date: April 21, 2015 19:14

You are right for the chorus hook but it does not fit the Rolling Stones at all. They just sound like a second-rank hard rock singer who sings the first ballad of his career with a hangdog voice in a desperate attempt to sound heartbreaking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-21 19:17 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: April 22, 2015 03:13

KRiffhard
Out of tears - Street of Love: both useless songs.

Agreed....Mick leftovers destined for his solo career (complete crap)...

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 22, 2015 07:49

out of tears by a mile. love the slide guitar and lyrics.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 22, 2015 09:23

Out of Tears, by a moonlight mile!

Date: April 22, 2015 10:29

IrelandCalling4

SOL was mauled on release here, many hated it with such a passion; it does sound a bit like a latter day Aerosmith ballad, or one of those post-2000 disturbing Bon Jovi ballads. However, it has grown over time, the live performances I think really gave it a new lease of life and fans went back to listen to it again. What saves it is the chorus hook, "I..I..I...I... walk the streets..", wonderful pop hook.

Funny, because this chorus is one of the things, that drives me mad and makes me not like the song at all. Somebody mentioned, the melody was nice, but the lyrics were awful. Thinking about that and imagening other lyrics (plus another style of singing) instead of this repeated stupid "I-I-I-I" make me think, this might be true for me as well. I can't stand the "I-I-I-I". It annoys me. I think in combination with the melody it reminds me of a silly song, children would sing. Like dancing around another kid, sticking their tongues out and thumbing their noses at it going "Na-nana-naa-nah!".

I prefer Out of Tears, but it's also not a favourite of mine.

Date: April 22, 2015 11:08

Naive pop lyrics are often better than pompous pop lyrics (OK you can also write clever lyrics without sounding like a curmudgeon teacher). But when I listen to a pop song, I also want to hear, besides a clever but not pompous instrumentation, subtle vocal harmonies à la Zombies, awesome melodies which carry all the song, not just a catchy hook on the chorus. I don't think that Elliott Smith was an excellent lyricist, sure the guy was pretty clever but he also used to write naive lyrics ("I am in love with the world, through the eyes of a girl..." that kind of stuff).... The Vibrators' song, also "Baby, baby, baby, won't you be my girl?". Not as subtle as an Oscar Wilde's novel but it works. The best pop songwriters were Macca and Elliott Smith, IMO. They didn't write intellectual lyrics but they wrote drop-dead gorgeous melodies. Besides Macca and ES, Ray Davies and Morrissey/Marr... the songwriting is more adult-oriented but it still has some "teenage" vibes. SOL is bad not because it sounds like a child song (on the contrary, this is the best compliment a pop song could get) but mostly because Mick tries too hard, even if he is too cynical to sing that kind of stuff. It just does not work. And... oh... where are the guitar players? Were they sleeping?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-22 11:23 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 22, 2015 12:41

Out of tears is lightyears better, the piano sounds well and Ronnie's solo is intense.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 22, 2015 13:11

SOL = better melody
OOT = better lyrics

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 22, 2015 13:18

StrawberriesBlueberries
IrelandCalling4

Funny, because this chorus is one of the things, that drives me mad and makes me not like the song at all. Somebody mentioned, the melody was nice, but the lyrics were awful. Thinking about that and imagening other lyrics (plus another style of singing) instead of this repeated stupid "I-I-I-I" make me think, this might be true for me as well. I can't stand the "I-I-I-I". It annoys me. I think in combination with the melody it reminds me of a silly song, children would sing. Like dancing around another kid, sticking their tongues out and thumbing their noses at it going "Na-nana-naa-nah!".

I prefer Out of Tears, but it's also not a favourite of mine.

It just goes to show how music is so subjective; the chorus hook annoys the heck out of many people, and many others love it. That hook actually was what caught the ear of quite a few of my wife's non Stones-fan friends when the album as playing one evening; not only did they love the song, but they went out and investigated more Rolling Stones albums. Some of them now are quite big fans. Not the perfect intro to this wonderful band, but it did quite well in Europe as a single, was wonderful live, and though quite atypical of the band's more soulful and bluesy ballads, it's not the dog many claim it to be^

It's not a classic ballad by any means, but it's gone on to have a life outside of ABB.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 22, 2015 15:30

Out Of Tears is equivalent to Wild Horses in this case. Streets Of Love is just as good as Rock And A Hard Place. Or Sweet Neo Con. Or Winning Ugly. Which means it SUCKS.

Said.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home