Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
In praise of Mick (J)
Posted by: bathsheba ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:47

I've been enjoying all the back and forth about Mick T/Keith/Ronnie but there doesn't seem to be much waxing forth on MJ's contribution to the band. It often comes up that he's controlling/tight/business-minded/cautious etc etc etc. It seems to me that he is strangely underrated in his performance. Strange because, without HIM......

What doesn't get said enough in my humble opinion is how extraordinarily brilliant Mick Jagger was/can be/is at vocalising the essence of the song. His voice is unique - I mean, that voice! His body that of a woodland sylph and he is so obviously electrified and transformed by the music around him, and he is never ever fake in performance, never ever gives less than 100%. The music does inhabit him truly. His great charisma and Mickness!

It's almost as if everyone takes him for granted!

)

Re: In praise of Mick (J)
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:51

seeing him live you marvel at his physique during the first few songs or so. then you kind of accept that you're not able to comprehend the phenomenon, and just come to terms with what it is.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:51

smiling smiley - I couldn´t agree more ! ! !
- Well said !
smileys with beer

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:53

Is Mick(J) the skinny one who sings the most?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 14, 2015 22:58

Leonioid

Sings the most? No, thats Bernard Fowler

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 14, 2015 23:03

I thought it was Blondie under the stage?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 14, 2015 23:15

I agree Mick is amazing and gives 100% every time. But he is a good actor and an excellent performer. I imagine he would have to be faking a bit to project genuine excitement while singing some of the tunes he has sang so many times before.

But that's what a good performer does, he is one of the best if not the very best. We will never know what he truly feels about the songs because his job is to project passion about all the music, and no one can accuse Mick of not doing his job. I'd bet his true passions are as complex and diverse as the man himself.

peace

Date: April 14, 2015 23:16

Munichhilton
Leonioid

Oh thats right... it gets hard to keep track of.

Date: April 14, 2015 23:42

Best frontman ever, in a rock'n'roll band anyway smileys with beer

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 14, 2015 23:51

right DP, no one comes close, in rock and roll..

and a very good harmonica player, as Keith likes to point out..

Date: April 14, 2015 23:54

He's getting there as a guitar player, too, says Keith grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 14, 2015 23:54

Mick is not only the best frontman of a band of all time, it's tough to see anyone ever really taking that crown form him.

Add his writing, producing, managing, instrument and harp playing (which has really gotten distinctively good over the years) into the mix and the possibilities of someone taking the title from him is even less realistic.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 14, 2015 23:55

Leonioid
Munichhilton
Leonioid

Used to be Lisa...smileys with beer

Date: April 15, 2015 00:09

bathsheba
I've been enjoying all the back and forth about Mick T/Keith/Ronnie but there doesn't seem to be much waxing forth on MJ's contribution to the band. It often comes up that he's controlling/tight/business-minded/cautious etc etc etc. It seems to me that he is strangely underrated in his performance. Strange because, without HIM......

What doesn't get said enough in my humble opinion is how extraordinarily brilliant Mick Jagger was/can be/is at vocalising the essence of the song. His voice is unique - I mean, that voice! His body that of a woodland sylph and he is so obviously electrified and transformed by the music around him, and he is never ever fake in performance, never ever gives less than 100%. The music does inhabit him truly. His great charisma and Mickness!

It's almost as if everyone takes him for granted!

)

There's only one Mick in the Rolling Stones smiling smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 15, 2015 00:13

the best ever and it's not even close.i never cease to be amazed at how good that motherf'r is-playing stadiums at 70 and tearing the house down,its almost beyond belief.

as he got older the stages kept getting bigger-mick just kept working harder,its awe inspiring.

Date: April 15, 2015 00:16

lem motlow
the best ever and it's not even close.i never cease to be amazed at how good that motherf'r is-playing stadiums at 70 and tearing the house down,its almost beyond belief.

as he got older the stages kept getting bigger-mick just kept working harder,its awe inspiring.

thumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 15, 2015 00:20

He is a dedicated performer. Greatest frontman in history.. It amazes me how he rarely loses his cool with the chaos that surrounds him ...

Date: April 15, 2015 00:24

DoomandGloom
He is a dedicated performer. Greatest frontman in history.. It amazes me how he rarely loses his cool with the chaos that surrounds him ...

Yeah, even while he noticed that he was completely off during 2000 LYFH in Glastonbury he kept on putting on a show for the audience while searching for the right key. He played the crowd when he was completely lost. Quite an achievement thumbs up

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 15, 2015 00:39

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom

Yeah, even while he noticed that he was completely off during 2000 LYFH in Glastonbury he kept on putting on a show for the audience while searching for the right key. He played the crowd when he was completely lost. Quite an achievement thumbs up

I'll watch that again just to see that..! it is pretty entertaining..
that's a great show..

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 15, 2015 01:01

I would like to add my contribution speaking as a beatle fan. I think Mick was great in the 60s and got better and better until the very early 70s when he started running around shouting. While i love the MT era Stones instrumentally, to me Mick's vocals let them down because he's too busy running around posing and shouting at live shows.
However, on the last tour i was really impressed. He'd cut down on the running around a bit and sang great...he'll never be an Aretha or even a Lennon, but he was @#$%& good. I suspect that's a bit because he looks after himself and never had much range vocally anyway....sadly for example, Macca who relies on range and melody and power is a bit doomed right now.
I would suggest that of the top 60s UK frontmen (of which he was no. 1 anyway), Mick has lasted the best vocally.
Doom and Gloom was excellent. He could still absolutely cut it if he and Keith could get down to some serious songwriting...too bad that Keith can't. Despite everything these guys have done, i honestly believe they owe us one more really good album. Dylan, Wilson,Neil Young and even Macca (in his own way) have done that. Vocally, Mick's right up for it. He sings a @#$%& of a lot better than Brian Wilson does nowadays and i love Brian Wilson. Sad days for Beach Boys fans, good times for Stones fans...mind you they don't half need a third guitarist though that's already another thread.
Charlie's good tonight though isn't he...

Posted by: ash ()
Date: April 15, 2015 01:08

and yes he's a really excellent harmonica player too. they should big that up esp. in the absence of BJ and MT.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 15, 2015 01:14

he does that,if things go sideways he'll pull some shit to distract everyone.if you know the stones well enough you'll catch it and it is funny.

the best one was when they were doing coke with belushi and the saturday night live cast all night before they did snl the first time.

the entire band lost their voices and they sounded BAD.. so mick just started licking ronnies face like a dog during the show.sure enough,the next day all i heard was "did you see mick licking ron woods face on saturday night live?"

i was waiting for the trashing my boys were gonna get but no one was talking about the absolute disaster they were -smooth.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2015 01:44

Yeah praise him for sure ... lurv the guy ...
Gave us Sympathy For De Devil and that one alone is enough for a ticket inta Rockee-Roll Heaven

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: April 15, 2015 04:58

I'm glad to see this Topic/Thread-Bingo! I do think people seem to like to insult Mick too much. Lots of time I feel like, Geez, really??

You guy's comments are so true. He is a complex personality & a multilayered talent.

Besides on iorr.org I've read a lot of music reviews from the early days to later days and even in major music reviewer's columns I often find they ignore the important topics re. Mick such as, let's see, His Lyrics Writing & his Vocal Performances.

He has written ground-breaking, stunning lyrics & not just for a few years when in the prime of his early adulthood as is the case with so many song writers. Even the more modest album cuts are usually a higher quality than most songwriter's best songs.

He does have vocal range & delivers it when the song calls for it. He easily sings in a lower register, or, say like in Beast of Burden, he easily carries a falsetto the whole way through.

He has been called the best live performer existing today in the music business. However, reviewers seem to focus on his remarkable physical appearance/ "athleticism"/dancing/demeanor/attitude while his lyrics & contributions to also writing some of the melodies, and his vocal performances are not hardly mentioned.

Without Mick Jagger there would be no Rolling Stones for so many different reasons it'd be hard to list them all.

Thanks everyone, good to talk to y'all on this shared topic.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-15 05:13 by tauk.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 15, 2015 05:27

ash
I would like to add my contribution speaking as a beatle fan. I think Mick was great in the 60s and got better and better until the very early 70s when he started running around shouting. While i love the MT era Stones instrumentally, to me Mick's vocals let them down because he's too busy running around posing and shouting at live shows.
However, on the last tour i was really impressed. He'd cut down on the running around a bit and sang great...he'll never be an Aretha or even a Lennon, but he was @#$%& good. I suspect that's a bit because he looks after himself and never had much range vocally anyway....sadly for example, Macca who relies on range and melody and power is a bit doomed right now.
I would suggest that of the top 60s UK frontmen (of which he was no. 1 anyway), Mick has lasted the best vocally.
Doom and Gloom was excellent. He could still absolutely cut it if he and Keith could get down to some serious songwriting...too bad that Keith can't. Despite everything these guys have done, i honestly believe they owe us one more really good album. Dylan, Wilson,Neil Young and even Macca (in his own way) have done that. Vocally, Mick's right up for it. He sings a @#$%& of a lot better than Brian Wilson does nowadays and i love Brian Wilson. Sad days for Beach Boys fans, good times for Stones fans...mind you they don't half need a third guitarist though that's already another thread.
Charlie's good tonight though isn't he...

Interesting stuff
Hmmmmm

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: April 15, 2015 05:32

The guy is an inspiration to anyone growing older & the greatest frontman ever.
Just wish he'd lighten up.

You don't HAVE to suck every last $$ out of every Stones fan before your done.

Date: April 15, 2015 05:48

mtaylor
Leonioid
Munichhilton
Leonioid

Well, then which one is Pink?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 15, 2015 12:21

Leonioid
mtaylor
Leonioid
Munichhilton
Leonioid

Well, then which one is Pink?

This one:

Posted by: indystonesfan ()
Date: April 15, 2015 12:49

A coal magazine in Indianapolis has seen the contract rider for MJ and claims the Speedway is arranging for a private running track on site for him.

Don't know exactly what that means but I will try to link the article when it is available.

Meanwhile, Mick is the one and only true frontman/Rock Star

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: April 15, 2015 12:51

Wihtout Mick, the band wouldn´t exist anymore.

Without Mick the band would sound like a (good )Stones tribute band.

Without Mick there would be no world tours, stadiums gigs, club-gigs, arena-gigs -
no f...ing nothing we love and need still today and in the near future of a few weeks.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home