Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: In praise of Mick (J)
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 15, 2015 12:55

Without Mick, the band wouldn't have existed in the first place. but that doesn't really say much.

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: April 15, 2015 13:20

I think he has a great combination of business sense (especially hiring the right advisors, at least since Klein) and marketing creativity (using each new wave of ideas on communication, promotion etc.)

The books say this is due to his LSE eduction - I disagree: he wasn't there for long and at that time it was a hardly a hotbed of capitalist thinking. More a natural ability - alongside his performing and writing.

No wonder he felt that he was carrying the whole band at times.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 15, 2015 13:42

Naturalust
I agree Mick is amazing and gives 100% every time. But he is a good actor and an excellent performer. I imagine he would have to be faking a bit to project genuine excitement while singing some of the tunes he has sang so many times before.

But that's what a good performer does, he is one of the best if not the very best. We will never know what he truly feels about the songs because his job is to project passion about all the music, and no one can accuse Mick of not doing his job. I'd bet his true passions are as complex and diverse as the man himself.

peace

Agree, probably the best frontman ever. And it is him who keeps the Stones going.

I am not sure about your second point. If the widely accepted view (that the playlist is down to Mick) is true, then he can easily make it much more interesting for himself (and for us).

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: April 15, 2015 15:13

Looking forward to the pure, unadulterated joy of dancing my ass off in a space with Mick.

Posted by: tauk ()
Date: April 15, 2015 17:35

Rockman
Yeah praise him for sure ... lurv the guy ...
Gave us Sympathy For De Devil and that one alone is enough for a ticket inta Rockee-Roll Heaven

That's for sure! Such astonishing lyrics & sound. Ground-breaking song. How many other bands or singer/songwriters have had a major film director like Jean-Luc-Goddard want to make a film based on ONE song?

Carolyn G

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 15, 2015 18:56

Green Lady
Leonioid
mtaylor
Leonioid
Munichhilton
Leonioid
Is Mick(J) the skinny one who sings the most?

Sings the most? No, thats Bernard Fowler

Oh thats right... it gets hard to keep track of.

Used to be Lisa...smileys with beer

Well, then which one is Pink?

This one:

Whoa!!! that IS PINK
It is good to know we can always count on you GL.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:04

MartinB
Naturalust
I agree Mick is amazing and gives 100% every time. But he is a good actor and an excellent performer. I imagine he would have to be faking a bit to project genuine excitement while singing some of the tunes he has sang so many times before.

But that's what a good performer does, he is one of the best if not the very best. We will never know what he truly feels about the songs because his job is to project passion about all the music, and no one can accuse Mick of not doing his job. I'd bet his true passions are as complex and diverse as the man himself.

peace

Agree, probably the best frontman ever. And it is him who keeps the Stones going.

I am not sure about your second point. If the widely accepted view (that the playlist is down to Mick) is true, then he can easily make it much more interesting for himself (and for us).

I think the reason is twofold and obvious to most folks here. First, he's probably very good at measuring his effectiveness as a performer in real time and has learned that the old, well known songs create much more buzz, excitement and instant feedback that the more "interesting" ones. Secondly and similarly, the majority of Stones fans going to concerts are less concerned about interesting songs and want to hear the songs they know, love and grew up with. Pleasing the concert going masses is an important and necessary part of the successful Stones touring business and making it interesting for himself (and some of us more discriminating fans) is too risky.

It's kind of unfortunate because the very best music usually comes out of an artist who is pleasing himself without regard for what anyone else thinks...trusts his or her own judgement that if they are personally getting off the audience is bound to feel the same way. Obviously that works well commercially when that artist is truly in touch with the pulse of the people he's playing for. The Stones in the late 60's and early 70's were a prime example of that.

I'd love to hear Mick talk about his true passions, what fulfills him musically and creatively. My guess is his new compositions are still viable and somewhat fulfilling to him, I'd like to hear some of them. I also think that creative, successful business ventures probably get him off as much as music these days. No worries, he's still very very good at entertaining a crowd and in the end that's what I'm paying for.

peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:13

How many shows will you be catching on this latest tour Naturalust?
Probably doing the lot are you?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 15, 2015 22:23

at it's core being a fan is an emotional thing in alot of ways and i think thats how people get upset with mick.

he's written songs that they love so much and the stones never play them live and they get frustrated.

also its pretty well known that mick is the one who handles the bands business affairs and when tickets are so expensive that falls on him also.

the thing is,mick is handed several offers and he cant just say " oh,i'll take this one.its less money but maybe tickets will be cheaper"-it doesnt work that way.
he has a duty to take as much money as he can get.he's dealing on behalf of the other three and even if he took less the promoters and ticket scalpers would just take it anyway.rolling stones tickets are going to be expensive one way or another.
now you have 1000's of people coming to the shows.as you can see from the tour thread,some have never seen the band,some are taking their kids for the first time-like i said, an emotional thing in alot of ways.you cant in the middle of all that just do a set of b-sides,its not fair to the crowd.it might make the 1% who have seen the band 50 times happy but the majority would feel cheated-you've taken about 10 of the best rock and roll songs ever written off the table.as you can imagine its tough for him to find a balance.

there is a huge amount riding on every show.the bands legend,the fans expectations,the hundreds of people employed for the tour,the money vendors and business's around the venue count on,everyones depending on him hitting a homerun-sometimes a little sympathy for the old devil is in order.

Date: April 15, 2015 22:49

Rockman
How many shows will you be catching on this latest tour Naturalust?
Probably doing the lot are you?

Haaaa no Rockee I'm only planning on one and possibly any special shows they do in LA (or elsewhere). The rumored Sticky Fingers LA set would be high on my list. I love 'em but am not really the type to follow them around, Deadhead fashion. It's just a case of diminishing returns for me, both in my pocketbook and entertainment wise. But I'm leaving the possibility for more open and if I happen to be in the area of any of the other shows I will definitely try to attend.

Are you going to grace us with your presence here in America, or did you get your fill down under?

peace

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: April 15, 2015 23:09

A truly incredible performer, an amazing artist and clever businessman. Also gifted with plenty of sex appeal and the greatest a** in the history of music>grinning smiley<

Date: April 15, 2015 23:25

Are you going to grace us with your presence here in America, or did you get your fill down under?

.....still a chance and NO.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 15, 2015 23:51

Rockman

.....still a chance and NO.....

hey Rockeeee, I know if you come its a big if, and perhaps you want to see a different part of the country, but if you come out to LA early, there's always hangin' 'round the rehearsals....who knows, someone may recognize you and invite you in....if he can convince his boss!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: April 16, 2015 00:44

Mick is the ultimate professional entertainer - sometimes its too safe but the consistency over half a century is astonishing. He's also the great all rounder - singer, dancer, musician, lyricist, actor, entrepreneur, producer, self publicist, dare I say it - manager. I love Keith and Charlie but Mick is the one that has kept this show on the road for all these years.

Date: April 16, 2015 00:48

but if you come out to LA early, there's always hangin' 'round the rehearsals

Hey YEAH ..See how I go AL ... Ya just never know what might happen ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 16, 2015 01:20

Mick is a great!
video: [www.youtube.com]

everything's turning to gold

Date: April 16, 2015 01:31

YEAH!!! ...Micky Jagger ....still cracks me ...

ROCKMAN

Date: April 16, 2015 01:46

Jagger live at concerts always makes me guffaw several times per show with his funny quips. I have almost accused him of having a joke writer, but he doesnt need one. He has quite the sense of humor, a great sense of observational humor... and a wry wit.

I would love to see Mick lay to waste some of the goofs who are always posting their advice to him online, telling him how it should be, acting so high and mighty constantly advising Mick and the Stones about how they should do being things, who should be on tour with them, what should be on set lists, etc etc.

I bet with no more than 30 words Mick would obliterate most of them with some perfectly witty logic... but he is probably above that type thing and very busy... sigh, but it would be amusing to watch.

Jagger knows what he is doing, he doesnt need the internet to advise him.

TL/DR Yeah Jagger is cool and funny and...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 01:47 by Leonioid.

Date: April 16, 2015 01:58

When he does his quips in foreign languages, you should conclude there is a joke writer involved.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:00

Nikkei
When he does his quips in foreign languages, you should conclude there is a joke writer involved.
...or a translator

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:04

Nikkei

child please-he just learns a few words in the language and sees what current event is happening locally and throws in a little remark,its not like he's going chris rock out there.joke writer...good lord.

Date: April 16, 2015 02:06

Nikkei
It would not surprise me, even in English he says some very very funny things...

and good for him if he does have a joke writer or two, all the great comedians do. I can imgagine the want ad; HELP WANTED- Experienced sound/light persopn wanted, joke writing experience moves to front of the line.

btw- yes I know they probably dont put out help wanted ads and probably use the same crews over and and over... just saying, being multi talented helps get rehired.

Date: April 16, 2015 02:11

okay, call it a translator then. of course he's great fun, the lines live from his dry delivery

Date: April 16, 2015 02:16

Nikkei
okay, call it a translator then. of course he's great fun, the lines live from his dry delivery
thumbsup

HELP WANTED- Translator wanted, added talent of being a proven joke writer, move to front of the line. ;)

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 16, 2015 02:24

Amazing energy, charisma...panache.

Date: April 16, 2015 02:43

One of the things that got me interested in The Stones, especially Mick Jagger, was watching him being interviewed on DVD's or youtube or reading old Rolling Stone magazine interviews because I was impressed with the personal traits you're mentioning.

He's always polite, & often quite witty in interviews. He's amazingly calm & polite even during interviews in which the situation is highly stressful. It's not only that he is obviously articulate & intelligent but he always appears to want to be genuinely pleasant with everyone. He definitely doesn't come across as an argumentative person. When other people are asked to describe him I always hear "gentle, easy going, and "he knows what he's talking about" and that he always is trying to please a whole lot of people all at once.

I know Keith & Charlie are also very intelligent and yes, Keith is articulate also when he wants to be. However, as I've watched DVD's from the early years onward it's so obvious that the other Stones', when asked a question by an interviewer or anyone else that they don't know how to answer, all quickly glance at Mick or look downward to signal that they want to pass the buck to Mick which he always accepts & responds appropriately, again, often with humor & insight.

And all the stuff about the high concert prices, yes, I wish it wasn't so expensive, but as far as the Jagger-bashing/blaming goes, you now, he's not the only Stone who benefits or is involved with those decisions. So why is he the only Stone blamed, like 99.99% of the time?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 02:45 by tauk.

Date: April 16, 2015 02:45

Always though Mick was pretty good in the humor department, especially in his later years. There is much underlying humor in his dry, cynical interview answers even and when he makes fun of himself it is refreshingly great. I imagine his humor is more the slow fuse intellectual type (not necessarily PC) that we don't often get to see for most public appearances.

The scene in "Being Mick" where he makes fun of the German airline agent who asks him for his papers is hilarious.

peace

Date: April 16, 2015 03:11

Naturalust
Always though Mick was pretty good in the humor department, especially in his later years. There is much underlying humor in his dry, cynical interview answers even and when he makes fun of himself it is refreshingly great. I imagine his humor is more the slow fuse intellectual type (not necessarily PC) that we don't often get to see for most public appearances.

The scene in "Being Mick" where he makes fun of the German airline agent who asks him for his papers is hilarious.

peace

I haven't had the chance yet to see "Being Mick" but I'm sure it's as funny as you say.

So, in further Praise of Mick Jagger:

I love watching the Mick Jagger/James Fox/ Anita P. film "Performance". The lousy plot ruined the film, (besides being too sexually progressive for is time). Mick's comedic timing is HILARIOUS, along with Anita P. in that sorta way you just alluded to-understated humor. Roger Ebert, in his movie review said Mick J is the real reason to watch the film & gave Mick very good praise for acting. I'm sure he would've gained a better acting reputation much sooner in life if he had ever been given a chance at a real script. It's one of those films that you have to see more than once in order to get the humor.

Later on, in "The Man From Elysian Fields", in a supporting role, he shows true gift of dramatic acting as well.

Date: April 16, 2015 03:46

tauk
... you now, he's not the only Stone who benefits or is involved with those decisions. So why is he the only Stone blamed, like 99.99% of the time?

I suppoes, to use a football comparison, because Mister Mick is the Quarterback, and the QB is the one who is given most of the glory but also shoulders most of the blame, no matter that it is a team effort.

I have have always liked Mick's big cheese smile and his eyes get all squinty and twinkle and he seems truly happy... it has been a treat to see that glimmer from 10-15 feet away.

Good ole Mick, he is fun, he is cool...
they write songs about how he moves...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-16 05:42 by Leonioid.

Date: April 16, 2015 05:12

Leonioid
tauk
... you now, he's not the only Stone who benefits or is involved with those decisions. So why is he the only Stone blamed, like 99.99% of the time?

I suppoes, to use a football comparison, because Mister Mick is the Quarterback, and the QB is the one who is given most of the glory but also shoulders most of the blame, no matter that it is a team effort.

I have have always liked Mick's big cheese smile and his eyes get all squinty and twinkle and he seems truly happy... it has been a treat to see that glimmer from 10-15 feet away.

Good ole Mick, he is fun, he is cool...
they write songs about hoe he moves...

Yeah, you're right, I love seeing how his eyes do actually "twinkle" when he is genuinely laughing& is happy==it's a very appealing quality of his.

I've taken a lot of "screen shots" from youtube videos to capture that look of true happiness that comes across his eyes. I wish I knew how to post them on here. And I sure wish I ever could get close enough to a stage to see it in person like you have.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home