Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Rolling Stones Backfire 15
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: March 19, 2015 07:54

DoomandGloom
Naturalust
stonehearted
<<The only additions to the drums is the engineer adds triggered samples to at least the Kick and Snare.>>

But that would mean a digital effect is in play.

I forget the guy's name, but the Stones have a special sound guy who works the mixing board even in rehearsals, and according to him what goes through his board in concert is 100% analog sound.

That would be true even if additional drum or other instrument sounds were digitally triggered and "digital" samples were started. Those sounds once they are digitally triggered go through a digital to analog converter so we hear them musically and this analog sound signal is what the FOH mixing engineer would be mixing in with the rest of the analog signals from the microphones on stage.

Not that I suspect the Stones are using this kind of technology in their shows, I can't imagine Charlie needing any kind of supplemental drum sound to sound good. Microphone placement, EQ and gain adjustment from the FOH engineer can make drums sound fine.

Dave Natale is the name of the Stones sound guy. What is amazing is that he hardly uses any effects like reverb and delay and apparently uses NO compression or noise gates for the whole show. When you hear a live Stones show, you really are getting what the band is playing....those guys have got it down after 50+ years.

peace

peace
Well the samples are indeed analog, they would be recorded samples of a clean bass drum hit and snare drum hit not digital facsimiles. Usually the musician's exact drum, but at Live Aide for example Bob Clearmountain was the FOH and he used 1 set of samples for the entire program. They are very famous samples, from Tears for Fears. Everyone uses this trick in the big leagues. I did notice that Natale rides the guitars quite allot and very obviously. That's what gives the impression there is little compression used. There's little need for obvious reverbs in large settings but Mick's voice is certainly doubled with a digital delay. The guitars have old style tape slaps on stage so effecting them from the board would be counterproductive. Dave Natale keeps his head up for sure, he always makes the move correct when the back-up singer sings verse 2 of TD. He makes subjective judgments as well if Keith is on a role in a solo he'll boost him, if he's stumbling through a solo he'll bury it. The notion that he mixes a show without noise gates and compression is incorrect. Background vocal mics like Chuck's, Hammmond B-3 mics for example all require light gating or there'd be much unwanted noise and unnecessary bleeding. Bass is always compressed at the board as well as vocals, horns, guitars may be the exception because The Stones are eccentric about guitars. Still there has to be a giant compressor across the entire output of the system to tighten the mix and keep the system from being damaged in case a mic is dropped or a drum stick strikes a mic. Mixing a show in a big arena is scientific mathematical work. The "tricks" employed by The Stones are very minimal and old school, no band of their caliber is presented as raw, you are really hearing what the band is playing. The engineer uses these well established methods to keep the sound consistent through-out the audience no matter where you may be sitting. They won't readily admit it because fans may think they're being fooled by technology while it is quite the opposite, The Stones' sound people do a great job and work attentively till the very last note heard. Rightfully so there'd be hell to pay if they didn't.

Great post and I heartily agree.. Although Columbus in 99 was probably the worst sound I have ever experienced at any concert. Johnny Lang was the opener and his sound was flawless and blazingly loud. The Stones came out at half the volume and a muddy mix.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 19, 2015 08:16

flacnvinyl
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
stonehearted
<<The only additions to the drums is the engineer adds triggered samples to at least the Kick and Snare.>>

I forget the guy's name, but the Stones have a special sound guy who works the mixing board even in rehearsals, and according to him what goes through his board in concert is 100% analog sound.

That would be true even if additional drum or other instrument sounds were digitally triggered and "digital" samples were started. Those sounds once they are digitally triggered go through a digital to analog converter so we hear them musically and this analog sound signal is what the FOH mixing engineer would be mixing in with the rest of the analog signals from the microphones on stage.

Not that I suspect the Stones are using this kind of technology in their shows, I can't imagine Charlie needing any kind of supplemental drum sound to sound good. Microphone placement, EQ and gain adjustment from the FOH engineer can make drums sound fine.

Dave Natale is the name of the Stones sound guy. What is amazing is that he hardly uses any effects like reverb and delay and apparently uses NO compression or noise gates for the whole show. When you hear a live Stones show, you really are getting what the band is playing....those guys have got it down after 50+ years.

peace

peace
Well the samples are indeed analog, they would be recorded samples of a clean bass drum hit and snare drum hit not digital facsimiles. Usually the musician's exact drum, but at Live Aide for example Bob Clearmountain was the FOH and he used 1 set of samples for the entire program. They are very famous samples, from Tears for Fears. Everyone uses this trick in the big leagues. I did notice that Natale rides the guitars quite allot and very obviously. That's what gives the impression there is little compression used. There's little need for obvious reverbs in large settings but Mick's voice is certainly doubled with a digital delay. The guitars have old style tape slaps on stage so effecting them from the board would be counterproductive. Dave Natale keeps his head up for sure, he always makes the move correct when the back-up singer sings verse 2 of TD. He makes subjective judgments as well if Keith is on a role in a solo he'll boost him, if he's stumbling through a solo he'll bury it. The notion that he mixes a show without noise gates and compression is incorrect. Background vocal mics like Chuck's, Hammmond B-3 mics for example all require light gating or there'd be much unwanted noise and unnecessary bleeding. Bass is always compressed at the board as well as vocals, horns, guitars may be the exception because The Stones are eccentric about guitars. Still there has to be a giant compressor across the entire output of the system to tighten the mix and keep the system from being damaged in case a mic is dropped or a drum stick strikes a mic. Mixing a show in a big arena is scientific mathematical work. The "tricks" employed by The Stones are very minimal and old school, no band of their caliber is presented as raw, you are really hearing what the band is playing. The engineer uses these well established methods to keep the sound consistent through-out the audience no matter where you may be sitting. They won't readily admit it because fans may think they're being fooled by technology while it is quite the opposite, The Stones' sound people do a great job and work attentively till the very last note heard. Rightfully so there'd be hell to pay if they didn't.

Great post and I heartily agree.. Although Columbus in 99 was probably the worst sound I have ever experienced at any concert. Johnny Lang was the opener and his sound was flawless and blazingly loud. The Stones came out at half the volume and a muddy mix.

If Dave Natale says he uses no compression or noise gates on the Stones I believe him. He isn't trying to impress the fans that he's not using technology, obviously he has his tricks but his treatment of the Stones seems pretty straightforward old school, like the band.

peace

Date: March 19, 2015 08:49

treaclefingers
Natlanta
i like Backfire 15 as a tour name, maybe next year it's Sweet Little '16, and then She's Too Cute To Be A Minute Over '17?

good thread D/G, keep 'em coming.

I prefer the "I Can See That Your Just '15, But I Don't Want Your ID Tour".

15 Again

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 19, 2015 10:05

The Rolling Stones just finished a similar stadium tour in Europe last summer. It was a great success, people loved the shows, and the large stadiums made it possible for many fans to see them. The alternative would be much higher ticket prices in small 10,000 capacity arena style venues. Knowing the limit is 14-15 shows only per tour, there is not many alternatives.

Also, the 2013 arena tour in North America had a high average age of 50+, while in Europe it was more like 30-50 average. The Rolling Stones do want to reach out to fans under the age of 50 too so in order to lower the cost per ticket and the capacity they do stadiums and festivals.

Some of the gretest shows in Europe last year was Rock in Rio Lisbon, Pinkpop Landgraaf and Roskilde Copenhagen. Large crowds, young crowds.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Conley ()
Date: March 19, 2015 10:11

I don't care where they are playing. I just want to see them live!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 19, 2015 10:32

I think the Indy show is right up their alley. They always seem to prefer somewhere they haven't played before, or something novel. I worry, being from there, that the locals won't support it enough. I'm sure they'll be a ton of out of towners, but 70,000(?) is still a big number for a relatively small market. (And one that let them down before). I remember being embarrassed in '81 that Indy was one of the very few places where Springsteen didn't sell out Market Square Arena.

It's not the sort of event I would go to as this stage of my life. That's too many people for me. I saw them at Dodger Stadium in 2006 but I ponied up the the dough for floor seats and it was great. But I don't need to see them close up anymore. I wish them all the luck and cross my fingers that the Indy gig isn't a let down.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 19, 2015 10:49

Conley

Right!

Bjornulf

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 19, 2015 17:29

Naturalust
flacnvinyl
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
stonehearted

peace

peace

If Dave Natale says he uses no compression or noise gates on the Stones I believe him. He isn't trying to impress the fans that he's not using technology, obviously he has his tricks but his treatment of the Stones seems pretty straightforward old school, like the band.

peace
Well I hope to see for myself this tour... I find this hardly believable from what I heard from the stage in the last 2 years but I'll remain open minded. This could explain the lack of definition in the bass that many here complain about.. I will say if he is mixing this barren this is not "old school," "Old School" is using compressors on everything... In this case he'd be relying on the output compression of the entire mix to keep things in line as well as subgroups. I already assume he has automated settings for each song and engages the automation to mute the instruments not played on that particular number and open the correct mic for the correct guitar/amp pairings. I heard few if any mistakes regarding missed cues from the soundboard and he'd have a big job keeping up with mutes if he didn't use any gates or automation. His biggest job is balancing the guitars and making the best impression for them he can. He is absolutely adding samples to the bass drum and snare drum, which is not covered in this tidbit of his interview. I heard them flam more than once in Brooklyn. While I don't believe he's purposely fibbing he has bosses playing on stage that have a deep knowledge of audio engineering and he may be hesitant to offer much tech talk for them to critique. I bet his would be a fun job, basically you are mixing the greatest band to your own taste although I'm certain each member has someone lobbying and reporting back to them a view of how they're presented in the mix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 17:34 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2015 17:33

Real old school is using the room, right? smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2015 17:37

DandelionPowderman
Real old school is using the room, right? smiling smiley
I'd say overpowering the room is the approach The Stones and bands like them have always employed.

Posted by: JiminNB ()
Date: March 19, 2015 18:41

bv
Conley

Right!

Double Right!! Some of the posters seem to put the Stones on a bit of an unwanted pedistal. After all Richards has stated they are a club band that got bigger dates. It's music for the heart and soul not the syphony!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 19, 2015 19:24

D&G / NL have you already read this?

[www.prosoundweb.com]

D&G wrote "He is absolutely adding samples to the bass drum and snare drum".

I hear none. Where do you hear them?

C

Date: March 19, 2015 19:24

bv
Conley

Right!
I agree to disagree. The venue is important. Playing the Indy 500 Stadium is not a great call. Missing Red Rocks, Vegas, Hollywood Bowl, Yankee Stadium, that's their choice of course but as a fan I have every right to complain about non appealing far off venues bunched together. It's the same as complaining about a crummy hotel or restaurant or the location and parking for any event. We are consumers not zombies, This thread is for those of us who feel this way so I feel this is a respectful retort towards our moderator and not intended to be disrespectful. Still I encourage all you nicer happier people to continue to "troll" my thread of bitterness.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 19:33 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2015 19:32

DoomandGloom
Naturalust
flacnvinyl
DoomandGloom
Naturalust
stonehearted

peace

peace

peace
Well I hope to see for myself this tour... I find this hardly believable from what I heard from the stage in the last 2 years but I'll remain open minded. This could explain the lack of definition in the bass that many here complain about.. I will say if he is mixing this barren this is not "old school," "Old School" is using compressors on everything... In this case he'd be relying on the output compression of the entire mix to keep things in line as well as subgroups. I already assume he has automated settings for each song and engages the automation to mute the instruments not played on that particular number and open the correct mic for the correct guitar/amp pairings. I heard few if any mistakes regarding missed cues from the soundboard and he'd have a big job keeping up with mutes if he didn't use any gates or automation. His biggest job is balancing the guitars and making the best impression for them he can. He is absolutely adding samples to the bass drum and snare drum, which is not covered in this tidbit of his interview. I heard them flam more than once in Brooklyn. While I don't believe he's purposely fibbing he has bosses playing on stage that have a deep knowledge of audio engineering and he may be hesitant to offer much tech talk for them to critique. I bet his would be a fun job, basically you are mixing the greatest band to your own taste although I'm certain each member has someone lobbying and reporting back to them a view of how they're presented in the mix.

I'd be surprised if he is using any true automation, definitely some snapshot recalls but automation (to me) insinuates time based control moves which, as you know, don't work well in a live setting. But yes I'd bet he has "automated" recall for every song in the setlist and then manually tweaks stuff from there if necessary. But we are probably talking semantics here.

As far as making the best impression for them that he can....well that is of course the job of the monitor engineer and the Stones themselves have no clue what the FOH mix sounds like unless something drastic happens that they can hear from the stage. I'd love to talk to the monitor engineer and find out what each member is actually listening to during the show! smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 19, 2015 19:49

[www.prosoundweb.com]

this is dave natale destroying everything doom and gloom said-

when you see the worlds greatest rock and roll band play live [no matter what the venue] you hear the actual rolling stones.
someone running down a laundry list of crap lesser bands use [in place of being really good at what they do] then applying it to the stones isnt really a good idea.

Date: March 19, 2015 20:09

lem motlow
[www.prosoundweb.com]

this is dave natale destroying everything doom and gloom said-

when you see the worlds greatest rock and roll band play live [no matter what the venue] you hear the actual rolling stones.
someone running down a laundry list of crap lesser bands use [in place of being really good at what they do] then applying it to the stones isnt really a good idea.
I wish I could transfer the picture that's in the article but it's pretty clear that he is grouping different sections of the band. Those groups appear in the center of the board on those faders without an EQ channel strip. Assuming it is true that he does not employ compression for any separate channels he is accomplishing this by compressing the groups and then limiting or compressing the entire stereo field. I can see it right there in the picture. Besides. whoever heard a Lisa performance on GS without a string of delays and reverbs? I read the article three times and his points are misleading, all engineers want to claim they're re-invented the wheel.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 20:36 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2015 20:19

so if you just keep saying more and more words what you say will be true?

the problem is the rest of us can read,the article states the entire case in black and white.

Date: March 19, 2015 20:28

lem motlow
so if you just keep saying more and more words what you say will be true?

the problem is the rest of us can read,the article states the entire case in black and white.
Not really. He does not talk about the output of the group busses or how he treats the stereo mix. If the output of the board went straight into the power amps with no safeties, no compressors, he'd be personally responsible for any damage to the system. A short in a guitar line, dropped mic et et could blow out stacks.. I saw MJ drop a mic this tour how come it didn't go boom??? He's only talking about his inputs in the article not the outputs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 20:39 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2015 20:39

yeah,the part about putting them in a church basement and it would be the same sound was really over our heads too.

i've leaned against the stage where i could hear the sound coming off the amps-its the stones.

you really need to go back and start complaining about the venue locations,this baffle em with bullshit tech thing isnt really working.maybe they'll announce the ticket prices soon-i'm sure they're gonna be way too expensive for you.

Date: March 19, 2015 20:49

lem motlow
yeah,the part about putting them in a church basement and it would be the same sound was really over our heads too.

i've leaned against the stage where i could hear the sound coming off the amps-its the stones.

you really need to go back and start complaining about the venue locations,this baffle em with bullshit tech thing isnt really working.maybe they'll announce the ticket prices soon-i'm sure they're gonna be way too expensive for you.
I'd pay most any price to see them in that church basement. I don't expect you to believe me but the article is misleading down to the very purpose and function of compression and limiting. Claiming that their use goes against old style music is another falsity. Compression is the very heart of classic guitar sounds, these guys are squeezing the outputs and riding the board aggressively. It's a pretty cool approach and their results besides the lightweight bass guitar are very good. Here's an example of the excellent subtle use of delays they use, unless you believe the slapback in O2 is perfectly in time with the music you can hear the tight delay and reverb and obvious compression on Mick's voice once the song begins. Plus you can clearly hear reverb on the drums in the intro when Charlie rides his high hat. [www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 21:23 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 19, 2015 21:27

Don't want to add too much to this pissing match but yes it is possible some limiters are used on the group busses but likely only for emergency situations. I think the whole point is that he is not engaging the compressors or noise gates on ANY of the channel inputs or the group busses. Compressing a group bus would obviously take away the natural dynamics of the Stones performance even more so than compressing individual inputs. He probably has them patched in and set so they only limit in an extreme gain event. That is likely what he means by no compression is engaged during the show, it doesn't mean there isn't a limiter patched in for when Mick drops a mic.

Basically Dave Natale trusts good musicians like the Stones to control their own dynamics. Of course compression has played a role in the way we hear music but I'd argue that it isn't always a good thing. Dynamics are probably less important in rock music but if the musicians are able to control it to great effect, no need for an engineer to screw with it. I think Dave Natale is saying that the Stones are in control of the dynamics from the stage and he is just tweaking the relative volumes to get a good mix.

And my use of the term old school is pretty subjective, guess it depend on how old you are talking about. I seriously doubt compressors were part of the Stones early live shows. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: March 19, 2015 21:30

DoomandGloom
I don't have any inside scoop but they'd have to return to London as long as they can continue. It's unrealistic to think they're last gig will be somewhere like Pennsyltucky. Personally it's much easier from New York City to get to London than Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

I have no trouble believing that is true for you personally, but I assume you're just bringing a suitcase - not 52 shipping containers.

The thread is a good initiative.

Date: March 19, 2015 21:43

Chacal
DoomandGloom
I don't have any inside scoop but they'd have to return to London as long as they can continue. It's unrealistic to think they're last gig will be somewhere like Pennsyltucky. Personally it's much easier from New York City to get to London than Buffalo or Pittsburgh.

I have no trouble believing that is true for you personally, but I assume you're just bringing a suitcase - not 52 shipping containers.

The thread is a good initiative.
Not sure what 52 shipping containers means, is that The Stones gear? I was surprised at the anniversary shows how little gear they used. Many less guitars, then by the time the real US tour began they seemed to have all their regular stuff. Anyhow they seem to have a formula and a tremendous amount of resources on both sides of the pond. Some people think the "Microbar" used is a perfect copy from Fender. I doubt it because I saw Keith kiss the guitar in Philly. He is really against effects live and in the studio. He'd say, each piece of new gear adds on an extra hour on his studio bill. Of course it didn't matter as they paid by the week and you'd have to beg him off the pinball machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 21:44 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: spiderlegs ()
Date: March 19, 2015 21:53

Petco Park San Diego ( new Padres Baseball field ) was a great outdoor venue . Good sound , Magical night You should consider go too this concert. May 24th. On Fire can not wait !!!

Posted by: spiderlegs ()
Date: March 19, 2015 21:55

spiderlegs
Petco Park San Diego ( new Padres Baseball field ) was a great outdoor venue . Good sound , Magical night You should consider go too this concert. May 24th. On Fire can not wait !!!

Date: March 19, 2015 21:55

Naturalust
Don't want to add too much to this pissing match but yes it is possible some limiters are used on the group busses but likely only for emergency situations. I think the whole point is that he is not engaging the compressors or noise gates on ANY of the channel inputs or the group busses. Compressing a group bus would obviously take away the natural dynamics of the Stones performance even more so than compressing individual inputs. He probably has them patched in and set so they only limit in an extreme gain event. That is likely what he means by no compression is engaged during the show, it doesn't mean there isn't a limiter patched in for when Mick drops a mic.

Basically Dave Natale trusts good musicians like the Stones to control their own dynamics. Of course compression has played a role in the way we hear music but I'd argue that it isn't always a good thing. Dynamics are probably less important in rock music but if the musicians are able to control it to great effect, no need for an engineer to screw with it. I think Dave Natale is saying that the Stones are in control of the dynamics from the stage and he is just tweaking the relative volumes to get a good mix.

And my use of the term old school is pretty subjective, guess it depend on how old you are talking about. I seriously doubt compressors were part of the Stones early live shows. smoking smiley

peace
Well I've never seen Keith on stage with the Stones turn a knob on his guitar to boost or cut his gain or dynamics. Without question it's done at the board or by his road crew enabling gain stages or boxes on cue from behind the amps. It would be fair to say The Stones dynamics, aside from CW are fully controlled by people other than the band. When you watch The Allman Brothers or Pink Floyd you can see them fiddling with their guitar controls getting set for a solo, not so with The Stones. Like Springsteen they are running full power on "10" at all times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 21:57 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: March 19, 2015 22:01

I prefer small club shows, but it's totally understandable that the biggest band in the world is going to play at the biggest venues in the world.

Stadium shows have a charm of their own. A Stones stadium show is a larger than life experience. Just go and enjoy the spectacle of it all.

Date: March 19, 2015 22:04

DoomandGloom
Naturalust

peace
Well I've never seen Keith on stage with the Stones turn a knob on his guitar to boost his gain or dynamics. Clearly it's done at the board or by his road crew enabling gain stages or boxes on cue from behind the amps. It would fair to say The Stones dynamics, aside from CW are fully controlled by people other than the band. When you watch The Allman Brothers or Pink Floyd you can see them fiddling with their guitar controls getting set for a solo, not so with The Stones. Like Springsteen they are running full power on "10" at all times.

Like Charlie Watts, I sure Keith has some dynamic control of his guitar by how hard he hits the strings. Besides having everything turned to 10 would support the idea that compressor/expanders are less necessary for the Stones.

Besides as you well know, relative volume and compression are two different beasts. Of course Keith's guitar's gain fader is probably ridden a bit during the show and possibly even boost pedals are engaged by road crew, but that is completely different that engaging a compressor on his signal at FOH.

I would also be very surprised if drum samples were triggered off of Charlies drums. I think Charlie is still very capable of getting a consistently good drum sound without them. It is an interesting question though. Definitely not the Tears for Fears samples, though.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-19 22:13 by Naturalust.

Date: March 19, 2015 22:11

Naturalust
DoomandGloom
Naturalust

peace
Well I've never seen Keith on stage with the Stones turn a knob on his guitar to boost his gain or dynamics. Clearly it's done at the board or by his road crew enabling gain stages or boxes on cue from behind the amps. It would fair to say The Stones dynamics, aside from CW are fully controlled by people other than the band. When you watch The Allman Brothers or Pink Floyd you can see them fiddling with their guitar controls getting set for a solo, not so with The Stones. Like Springsteen they are running full power on "10" at all times.

Like Charlie Watts, I sure Keith has some dynamic control of his guitar by how hard he hits the strings. Besides having everything turned to 10 would support the idea that compressor/expanders are less necessary for the Stones.

Besides as you well know, relative volume and compression are two different beasts. Of course Keith's guitar's gain fader is probably ridden a bit during the show and possibly even boost pedals are engaged by road crew, but that is completely different that engaging a compressor on his signal at FOH.

peace
Part of the fun of being completely on the wrong side of a discussion is I remain anonymous,

Date: March 19, 2015 22:16

Keith adjusts the knobs (more/less treble/volume) and Pierre adjusts distortion and phaser/delay from behind his amp where his (few) pedals are.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1394
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home