Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...150151152153154155156157158159160...LastNext
Current Page: 155 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 18, 2015 00:09

JimmyC, while I found it funny, others did not. I'd think about removing the link.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 18, 2015 00:23

Naturalust
toomuchforme
154 pages on Taylor in 2015 ? WTF. What yousay ? Ronnie Stones

Rolling Stones playing setlists with a majority of Taylor era songs in 2015? I think the music created from 1969-1973, plus his great guest spots from 2012-2013 pretty much guarantee Taylor will be a popular topic as long as people are talking about the Rolling Stones.

the majority of songs they played were not with taylor playing on them in the studio.

Quebec;

Start Me Up
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)

All Down the Line
Tumbling Dice
Street Fighting Man
(by request)
Wild Horses
Bitch
Honky Tonk Women
Before They Make Me Run
Happy
Midnight Rambler
Miss You
Gimme Shelter
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Sympathy for the Devil

Brown Sugar
You Can't Always Get What You Want
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-18 00:23 by Turner68.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 18, 2015 00:53

I guess you are technically right, not quite a majority, but I consider songs like IORR and others they started driving home during the 1969 tour Taylor era songs. In any case you must admit they are playing a lot of songs from the 5 year period when Taylor was a big part of the band and other songs from slightly before his tenure that MT had a big part of making work live. One of the reasons we are still talking about him in 2015, imho.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 18, 2015 00:57

The Taylor era songs on that setlist do nonetheless outnumber any of the band's other distinct periods, though - seven from the MT era as opposed to four from the Wood era, four from the Jones era and three from Let It Bleed.

Date: July 18, 2015 01:27

Stoneburst
The Taylor era songs on that setlist do nonetheless outnumber any of the band's other distinct periods, though - seven from the MT era as opposed to four from the Wood era, four from the Jones era and three from Let It Bleed.

Good point, but isn't IORR a Taylor era song too? I guess since Ronnie co-wrote it I'd be willing to say it was a both a Taylor and Wood era tune. I wonder if Taylor was hanging around with Ronnie and Bowie at Ronnie's house during the creation of that tune?

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 18, 2015 01:45

I remember an interview at the time were Taylor stated "that song is a parody on that style" (r&r). So it was written during the Taylor years, but not in Taylor's heart, apart from the bubble clip.

Date: July 18, 2015 03:09

LuxuryStones
I remember an interview at the time were Taylor stated "that song is a parody on that style" (r&r). So it was written during the Taylor years, but not in Taylor's heart, apart from the bubble clip.

Who says a parody can't be in someone's heart? He did indeed look like he had some fun making that bubble videsmoking smileyo, in any case.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 18, 2015 03:26

It is not even debatable that the Taylor era was the best...

Date: July 18, 2015 08:16

Naturalust
Stoneburst

Good point, but isn't IORR a Taylor era song too? I guess since Ronnie co-wrote it I'd be willing to say it was a both a Taylor and Wood era tune. I wonder if Taylor was hanging around with Ronnie and Bowie at Ronnie's house during the creation of that tune?

I think that Taylor had nothing to do with it? If so, it would be like counting HTW as a Brian Jones song. As a matter of fact, there are a number of similarities there.

There is only one era with the Rolling Stones. The Keith Richards era. 100% of the songs are from that era.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-18 08:21 by Turner68.

Date: July 18, 2015 12:52

Naturalust
LuxuryStones

Who says a parody can't be in someone's heart? He did indeed look like he had some fun making that bubble videsmoking smileyo, in any case.

That was a part of the interview. It was in the context of being bored to tears, wanting to do something different.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: July 18, 2015 14:17

Turner68

There is only one era with the Rolling Stones. The Keith Richards era. 100% of the songs are from that era.

The only member to have played all Rolling Stones gigs!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-18 14:53 by fuzzbox.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:33

Naturalust
LuxuryStones

Taylor is spot on with his judgement. IORR the song is sub par, the beginning of the end indeed. As for his laughing while playbacking the song: he always does when they playback. He finds it funny and odd I guess, and he has a great sense of humour.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 17:35

Taylor´s contributions to the Stones oeuvre are very overrated. Look at IORR and Goats Head Soup. After two years with Taylor the Stones became mellow, uninspired and repetitive. IORR and GHS have much Taylor on them and they are rather weak efforts, often boring. Black And Blue is way better, partly of course because of Taylor´s absence. With Ron Wood they found back to rough and edgy music. Taylor softened them down musically with his at times Santana-like playing. The Stones are basically a simple Rock and Roll Band, in truth there is no place and space for Taylor-like virtuosity. Ron Wood is the best thing ever happened to the Stones (besides the meeting of Keith and Mick at the Dartfort station).Taylors style and playing does not fit in the musical direction of the Stones after the Black And Blue album. Who could imagine Taylor playing on rough albums like Some Girls, Dirty Work, Undercover, Bigger Bang? Taylor is not a rock and roll player, but that is what the Stones really need, a rocking and rolling counterpart for Keith´s playing. Ronnie fits perfectly. I love him and will always do, he is with the Stones for 40 years, Taylor was just a passing short phase, his departure did the Stones well. I cannot understand these "Taylor-crazies" among the fans. He is OUT and will hopefully never be IN and I like it that way. Personally never liked the idea of bringing him in for a guest-spot.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 18, 2015 17:44

kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

Taylor is spot on with his judgement. IORR the song is sub par, the beginning of the end indeed. As for his laughing while playbacking the song: he always does when they playback. He finds it funny and odd I guess, and he has a great sense of humour.

While I agree the song is sub par, and you see that in that the live versions; almost always a throwaway, they knocked it out of the park IMHO in their performance of it on the studio album.

Another example of the band taking sub par material and shaping it into something worthy compared to some of their best material.

As good as the writing as been in the past, the stones are even better at the performance. We see that especially as the writing quality declines but the albums are still excellent. I can't help but think of Emotional Rescue as a prime example.

Date: July 18, 2015 17:48

Date: July 18, 2015 15:35

Taylor´s contributions to the Stones oeuvre are very overrated. Look at IORR and Goats Head Soup. After two years with Taylor the Stones became mellow, uninspired and repetitive. IORR and GHS have much Taylor on them and they are rather weak efforts, often boring. Black And Blue is way better, partly of course because of Taylor´s absence. With Ron Wood they found back to rough and edgy music. Taylor softened them down musically with his at times Santana-like playing. The Stones are basically a simple Rock and Roll Band, in truth there is no place and space for Taylor-like virtuosity. Ron Wood is the best thing ever happened to the Stones (besides the meeting of Keith and Mick at the Dartfort station).Taylors style and playing does not fit in the musical direction of the Stones after the Black And Blue album. Who could imagine Taylor playing on rough albums like Some Girls, Dirty Work, Undercover, Bigger Bang? Taylor is not a rock and roll player, but that is what the Stones really need, a rocking and rolling counterpart for Keith´s playing. Ronnie fits perfectly. I love him and will always do, he is with the Stones for 40 years, Taylor was just a passing short phase, his departure did the Stones well. I cannot understand these "Taylor-crazies" among the fans. He is OUT and will hopefully never be IN and I like it that way. Personally never liked the idea of bringing him in for a guest-spot.

You shall be forgiven my son.winking smiley

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: July 18, 2015 18:03

HMS

Are you trying to be funny or whatsmiling smiley

Date: July 18, 2015 18:16

DoctorFreddie
HMS

Are you trying to be funny or whatsmiling smiley

eye popping smiley Clearly someone needs to purge Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, GHS and IORR from HMS's record collection. I think a couple years of SG, Dirty Work, Undercover and A Bigger Bang should bring him around.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: July 18, 2015 19:07

treaclefingers
kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

While I agree the song is sub par, and you see that in that the live versions; almost always a throwaway, they knocked it out of the park IMHO in their performance of it on the studio album.

Another example of the band taking sub par material and shaping it into something worthy compared to some of their best material.

As good as the writing as been in the past, the stones are even better at the performance. We see that especially as the writing quality declines but the albums are still excellent. I can't help but think of Emotional Rescue as a prime example.

One thing I wish I could to hear is Taylor on that '75 tour. In addition to IOR&R, there's Get off my Cloud, Wild Horses, Too Proud to Beg....I can only imagine to what awesome level Taylor would help elevate those songs!

Date: July 18, 2015 19:23

kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

I always thought it sounded like T Rex.

Date: July 18, 2015 19:24

I would like to keep Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile in my collection. But you can take away Goats Head Soup and IORR anytime without doing me harm. Both albums are really boring. Maybe four or five interesting tracks on both albums, the majority is simply boring, like a glass of beer standing at the sun for half a week. I remember buying them together with Exile. First heard Exile and was quite pleased. Than put on Goats/IORR and simply couldn´t believe what has become of the Stones. After that I ran to the nearest record-shop to buy Black And Blue, put it on the turntable and was delighted (Except for Fool To Cry which to my ears is simply ridiculous) Thank God I said to myself, this unpleasing and boring Goats Heads Soup/IORR-thing was just a temporary loss of creative power.

Date: July 18, 2015 19:34

HMS
I would like to keep Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile in my collection. But you can take away Goats Head Soup and IORR anytime without doing me harm. Both albums are really boring. Maybe four or five interesting tracks on both albums, the majority is simply boring, like a glass of beer standing at the sun for half a week. I remember buying them together with Exile. First heard Exile and was quite pleased. Than put on Goats/IORR and simply couldn´t believe what has become of the Stones. After that I ran to the nearest record-shop to buy Black And Blue, put it on the turntable and was delighted (Except for Fool To Cry which to my ears is simply ridiculous) Thank God I said to myself, this unpleasing and boring Goats Heads Soup/IORR-thing was just a temporary loss of creative power.

I do like B&B, actually it's the last Stones album I cared for, but I find it a bit strange that you blame Taylor for being GHS and IORR boring.There are only a few relatively short Taylor solo's (apart from TWFNO), and I think we agree that Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel are doing their utmost to sound like Taylor on Black and Blue.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 18, 2015 19:43

kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

'Parody' and 'sub par' are not synonymous.

Describing something as a parody doesn't assist in the inference of quality.

Several well-respected Stones songs could be described as parodies.

Olly.

Date: July 18, 2015 19:52

Turner68
kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

I always thought it sounded like T Rex.

grinning smiley

Date: July 18, 2015 20:03

Olly
kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

I did not say IORR is parody, let alone self-parody.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:05

I have never liked Ronnie's live playing with the Stones. I always felt that during the Taylor years, his excellent playing 'pushed' Keith and the band to higher levels. IMHO it is easy to listen to live recordings from 1969 on thru 1973 and hear the band getting better and better. Then we got a rough love band in 1975-76. Anand trying to be punk-like in 1978, Then the no real edge at all in 1981. Though they were pleasant live, there was nothing really being enhanced or created on stage.

I was very let down when I found that Taylor was not going to be part of the Zip Code Tour. I felt him playing on one song for most of the 50th Anniversary dates (playing inaudible acoustic on Satisfaction doesn't count as playing) was a waste as he had to jump into the show each night, cold, and try to do something with Rambler. Probably not easy for a guy near 70.

But after witnessing the Zip Code show in Buffalo, 'Sober Ronnie' and seemingly Sober Keith were amazing together. Ronnie's solos were great and Keith was equally pushing himself when he went to lead. I had been down on Ronnie and Keith for over a decade, but like monsters from a horror movie, they are BACK.

Even on CYHMK, which I always felt belonged to Taylor and Bobby Keys, and had always sucked live in the Wood era....was phenomenal. I will get slammed for writing this, but I walked away thinking: the current Mick Taylor would not have sounded as good on that song as Ronnie did. And Karl on sax, sounded like he belonged.

I went to the show just for nostalgia. A last chance to see the Stones, in my hometown, even though they would probably be sloppy, Keith would be lazy and posing more than playing and Ronnie would sound like shit on all the Taylor-created leads from Sticky Fingers. I expected little. But this show demonstrated that they don't need MT at this point. They just need Keith and Ronnie on their game. With them playing like they did a week ago, they are one formidable guitar band.

I saw them get blown off the stage in 2003 by ACDC. The Stones I saw last week would have blown ANY band off the stage - Taylor not needed.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 18, 2015 20:07

kleermaker
Olly
kleermaker
Naturalust
LuxuryStones

I did not say IORR is parody, let alone self-parody.

I did not mention self-parody.

My statement was a reasonable inference from your earlier post.

Olly.

Date: July 18, 2015 20:11

buffalo7478
I have never liked Ronnie's live playing with the Stones. I always felt that during the Taylor years, his excellent playing 'pushed' Keith and the band to higher levels. IMHO it is easy to listen to live recordings from 1969 on thru 1973 and hear the band getting better and better. Then we got a rough love band in 1975-76. Anand trying to be punk-like in 1978, Then the no real edge at all in 1981. Though they were pleasant live, there was nothing really being enhanced or created on stage.

I was very let down when I found that Taylor was not going to be part of the Zip Code Tour. I felt him playing on one song for most of the 50th Anniversary dates (playing inaudible acoustic on Satisfaction doesn't count as playing) was a waste as he had to jump into the show each night, cold, and try to do something with Rambler. Probably not easy for a guy near 70.

But after witnessing the Zip Code show in Buffalo, 'Sober Ronnie' and seemingly Sober Keith were amazing together. Ronnie's solos were great and Keith was equally pushing himself when he went to lead. I had been down on Ronnie and Keith for over a decade, but like monsters from a horror movie, they are BACK.

Even on CYHMK, which I always felt belonged to Taylor and Bobby Keys, and had always sucked live in the Wood era....was phenomenal. I will get slammed for writing this, but I walked away thinking: the current Mick Taylor would not have sounded as good on that song as Ronnie did. And Karl on sax, sounded like he belonged.

I went to the show just for nostalgia. A last chance to see the Stones, in my hometown, even though they would probably be sloppy, Keith would be lazy and posing more than playing and Ronnie would sound like shit on all the Taylor-created leads from Sticky Fingers. I expected little. But this show demonstrated that they don't need MT at this point. They just need Keith and Ronnie on their game. With them playing like they did a week ago, they are one formidable guitar band.

I saw them get blown off the stage in 2003 by ACDC. The Stones I saw last week would have blown ANY band off the stage - Taylor not needed.

How does it feel to suddenly see the light and have become Paul instead of Saul? cool smiley

Date: July 18, 2015 20:23

It's an interesting question of whether IORR as a parody. If it is, I think self-parody might just fit. It doesn't really have a whole lot of exaggeration musically but the lyrics certainly make light of taking Rock and Roll too seriously. But I think they were pretty serious when creating and recording this one.

I personally don't think it's sub-par at all. I think the Stones thought it was a great Rock song, certainly Keith did as he talks about hearing it and immediately wanting it for the Stones. When I first heard it I thought it was great and as treacle says, the version on the record is really good. I tend to think that it's just one of those songs that loses it's shine after many repeated listens.

Date: July 18, 2015 20:37

Naturalust
It's an interesting question of whether IORR as a parody. If it is, I think self-parody might just fit. It doesn't really have a whole lot of exaggeration musically but the lyrics certainly make light of taking Rock and Roll too seriously. But I think they were pretty serious when creating and recording this one.

I personally don't think it's sub-par at all. I think the Stones thought it was a great Rock song, certainly Keith did as he talks about hearing it and immediately wanting it for the Stones. When I first heard it I thought it was great and as treacle says, the version on the record is really good. I tend to think that it's just one of those songs that loses it's shine after many repeated listens.

"it's shine"?! Naturalust! I never heard it shine cool smiley

Date: July 18, 2015 20:42

buffalo7478

So last week they were better than ever, even at their age and current playing shape?

That's astonishing indeed. thumbs up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...150151152153154155156157158159160...LastNext
Current Page: 155 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2059
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home