Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...131132133134135136137138139140141...LastNext
Current Page: 136 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 27, 2015 10:55

DandelionPowderman

It's still fast.

Sure... but the irony here is it's better to rely on boots than on the official Stones YT channel to assess how the band was playing in 89/90.

We live strange times...

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 27, 2015 15:00

DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Keith is higher in the mix here. "Spanish" licks starting roughly at the same mark (3.40)

[www.youtube.com]

C

Awesome! Only fools can't hear these lovely fast licks. Probably the fastest licks played by any Stones guitarist

The vid has been sped-up by a semitone (A# instead of A). It's the 2nd time i'm subjected to an official video that's been sped-up like this (the other one is the official "She Was Hot" ).
Both ugly and silly. Mick keep them the way they were... confused smiley

It's still fast.[/quote]

If this is Keith really playing that fast, then a miracle has happened and praise the Lord! He simply just isn't able to. But fans do sometimes believe the strangest things. I'll put my hand in the fire if this run is really totally done by our friend slowhand Keith. grinning smiley

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 27, 2015 15:20

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

Keith is higher in the mix here. "Spanish" licks starting roughly at the same mark (3.40)

[www.youtube.com]

C

Awesome! Only fools can't hear these lovely fast licks. Probably the fastest licks played by any Stones guitarist

The vid has been sped-up by a semitone (A# instead of A). It's the 2nd time i'm subjected to an official video that's been sped-up like this (the other one is the official "She Was Hot" ).

It's still fast.

If this is Keith really playing that fast, then a miracle has happened and praise the Lord! He simply just isn't able to. But fans do sometimes believe the strangest things. I'll put my hand in the fire if this run is really totally done by our friend slowhand Keith. grinning smiley[/quote]

It aint Keith, Its playback

Date: June 27, 2015 16:31

True. It's a playback everytime you push play. A fast playback as well..

Date: June 27, 2015 16:41

dcba
DandelionPowderman

It's still fast.

Sure... but the irony here is it's better to rely on boots than on the official Stones YT channel to assess how the band was playing in 89/90.

We live strange times...

The first version I referred to was an official release, albeit called "Live bootleg" winking smiley

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 27, 2015 18:12

OpenG
DP I agree so you think that E7 chord at the 3 fret could of been MT influence or Keith picked it up in studio Taylor played and used 7 chords and I believe he showed Jagger 7th chords on time waits for no one

I believe Taylor said he had some influence on that song.

BTW, do you still have the Carla Olson first show at the Roxy?

Date: June 27, 2015 21:44

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

C

It's still fast.

If this is Keith really playing that fast, then a miracle has happened and praise the Lord! He simply just isn't able to. But fans do sometimes believe the strangest things. I'll put my hand in the fire if this run is really totally done by our friend slowhand Keith. grinning smiley[/quote]

It's good that I'm a guitarist and you're not. Then you'll have to trust me for once smiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2015 21:45

TravelinMan
OpenG
DP I agree so you think that E7 chord at the 3 fret could of been MT influence or Keith picked it up in studio Taylor played and used 7 chords and I believe he showed Jagger 7th chords on time waits for no one

Do you have a source for when Taylor said he influenced Angie?

Date: June 27, 2015 21:56

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
dcba
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

C

It's still fast.

If this is Keith really playing that fast, then a miracle has happened and praise the Lord! He simply just isn't able to. But fans do sometimes believe the strangest things. I'll put my hand in the fire if this run is really totally done by our friend slowhand Keith. grinning smiley

It's good that I'm a guitarist and you're not. Then you'll have to trust me for once smiling smiley[/quote]

Dandie I really love you, but here you're blinded by fandom. Keith's fingers always were as stiff as .. well invent some good comparison yourself. cool smiley

Date: June 27, 2015 21:59

Then he plays fast with stiff fingers...

You listened to it, didn't you..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-27 22:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 27, 2015 22:04

DandelionPowderman

I did, and I concluded that it's absolutely not Keith. But let's ask Mattijs for his insightful opinion. Always worth while. smiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2015 22:10

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I did, and I concluded that it's absolutely not Keith. But let's ask Mattijs for his insightful opinion. Always worth while. smiling smiley

Not Keith? Have a listen to WOAF from Hampton. Is that a guy "under the stage", too? How childish can we get here?

Date: June 27, 2015 22:20

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Not Keith? Have a listen to WOAF from Hampton. Is that a guy "under the stage", too? How childish can we get here?

Dandie, it's not a matter of being childish. I've never heard Keith playing that fast, even if it were only some seconds. But I've never listened to WOAF on Hampton, so I can't say nothing about that. But that Spanish guitar is imo certainly not Keith.

Date: June 27, 2015 22:26

Like I said earlier, you're not familiar with ALL of his work. You really should listen more to people who try to show you something.

On those two songs he played fast spanish licks on every show in 1981, 1989 and 1990. Not sure if he did it 1994/95, though, on RAAHP.

He also does something similar on RT in 1989/90 with his electric acoustic nylon string guitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-27 22:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 27, 2015 22:30

DandelionPowderman
Like I said earlier, you're not familiar with ALL of his work. You really should listen more to people who try to show you something.

On those two songs he played fast spanish licks on every show in 1981, 1989 and 1990. Not sure if he did it 1994/95, though, on RAAHP.

Um... how did he play fast Spanish licks on RAAHP in 1981 when it wasn't released until 1989? confused smiley

And yes, I do know what you mean, I'm just messin' with ya...

Date: June 27, 2015 22:35

DandelionPowderman

He also does something similar on RT in 1989/90 with his electric acoustic nylon string guitar.

Then he kept something very interesting very hidden for me Dandie. I know his work rather well. Even his two solo albums (which were a disappointment for me btw). He should have made more work of his Spanish guitar capacities. grinning smiley

Date: June 27, 2015 22:36

HearMeKnockin
DandelionPowderman

Um... how did he play fast Spanish licks on RAAHP in 1981 when it wasn't released until 1989? confused smiley

And yes, I do know what you mean, I'm just messin' with ya...

It's a bloody mess, yeah...

Date: June 27, 2015 22:38

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Then he kept something very interesting very hidden for me Dandie. I know his work rather well. Even his two solo albums (which were a disappointment for me btw). He should have made more work of his Spanish guitar capacities. grinning smiley

You were probably thrilled at the end of SAL, then. And you didn't read his book smiling smiley

Date: June 27, 2015 22:45

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

You were probably thrilled at the end of SAL, then. And you didn't read his book smiling smiley

But explain me: if Keith were so fast, why didn't he played most of the lead during Taylor's tenure? smiling smiley

Seriously, I think his Sympathy solo on Ya Ya's is about the fastest he ever could during more then some seconds.

Date: June 27, 2015 22:47

That tells me that you don't know a lot about Keith.

He was a bit drugged out, you know...

Date: June 27, 2015 22:50

DandelionPowderman

Ah, it was the speed that sped him up!

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 27, 2015 23:06

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Ah, it was the speed that sped him up!

And THAT explains the speed on the clip I posted last page! It wasn't him playing fast, it was the acid!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 27, 2015 23:22

i'm not sure that speed is the most important aspect with respect to questions like 'why didn't keith play lead more'.

regardless of his speed, i think that keith doesn't improvise on his feet as well as many/most strictly lead guitarists/soloists. and i say this knowing full well that he is responsible for some of the stones' greatest solos captured in the studio (e.g. sympathy.)

keith is a master at creating and recording a song.
mick taylor, on the other hand, is a master at improvisation.

this is why they were so perfect together for a few years - keith would create amazing songs and records, and taylor would make them sound fresh and new every night by putting creative improvisational solos on top of them.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 27, 2015 23:26

DandelionPowderman
TravelinMan
OpenG

Do you have a source for when Taylor said he influenced Angie?

[jasobrecht.com]

Well he actually said he plays most of the acoustic.

Date: June 28, 2015 00:08

"I played the solo on Carol".

Yeah, right. Trustworthy...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 28, 2015 00:28

Seriously Dandie, Taylor is trustworthy, why bash the guy if he almost mixes up Oh Carol with some other song. Geez.

"For years, people have been arguing about who soloed on the Chuck Berry songs “Carol” and “Little Queenie” on Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out.

Keith plays the solos.

On both?

Mmm . . . I really should be able to remember all these things. [Laughs.] I’m pretty sure he does, yeah. “Little Queenie” and “Carol”? I think on “Carol,” I played the solo."

Date: June 28, 2015 00:33

Because it's a ridiculous thing to say. He's barely on the track after Keith wiped most of his rhythm guitar for Ya Yas. You don't forget stuff like that, and you know it...

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 28, 2015 00:42

sometimes i can't remember where i left my keys the night before... i thought he came off as very gracious towards the stones and keith, i found myself as i re-read this interview amazed at how the relations seemed to be good between mick and the band at this point. it's sad that they turned south.

i think each of them should be expected to have a few genuine errors without suspecting something mischievous, especially when an answer is prefaced as it was here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-28 00:45 by Turner68.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 28, 2015 00:45

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I positively tremble with excitement thinking about the as yet unheard outtakes of CYHMK featuring Keith's fiery flamenco solos in place of Taylor's aimless noodling (presumably to be remastered by a cryogenically frozen Mick and Keith in fifty years' time for the Sticky Fingers Super Super Awesome Deluxe edition)

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: June 28, 2015 00:59

DandelionPowderman
Because it's a ridiculous thing to say. He's barely on the track after Keith wiped most of his rhythm guitar for Ya Yas. You don't forget stuff like that, and you know it...

He probably hadn't listened to GYYYO for years and genuinely couldn't remember. The Jas Obrecht interview is great and like Turner68 I find it hard to read without thinking what an open, honest guy MT comes across as. That said, I'm not sure what your benchmark for trustworthiness is in the context of the Rolling Stones (Keith 'I heard he was sick' Richards, perhaps)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...131132133134135136137138139140141...LastNext
Current Page: 136 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home