Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 17, 2015 23:39

Naturalust
Nikkei
Yeah, judging from his recollections he found a ragged detuned bunch and pulled them back together. Got to count for something. smoking smiley

lol. Certainly tuning was a problem in that first Hyde Park show. Although your description sounds strangely like the band he left in December 1974.

peace

Even at my age I've seen a ragged detuned bunch at times. Well maybe only one time. And maybe tuning wasn't the main problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-17 23:41 by Nikkei.

Posted by: lphz ()
Date: June 18, 2015 05:04

Here is part of a touching entry from MT's Facebook page today. The complete post includes a lovely tribute to Bobby Keys and a wistful confirmation that MT will not tour with the band again.

It's interesting how Bobby and I entered the band at the same time, when we were called in to record 'Live With Me' in May 1969. We were both out of favour with them for a number of years, and even lived and worked together in Miami in the 90s. He was meant to do the postponed dates in Australia/NZ with us for the 14 On Fire tour, but sadly he didn't make it to Adelaide. Unfortunately it would also turn out to be my last time going on the road with the band.

Like others here, I would wish MT to go out on his own. The Stones never seemed to embrace him as a band member on the tour, and never really let him loose to play. I even felt like he was constrained when he played those dates with Ronnie at the Cutting Room in NYC. I would love to see him with his own band. Jeff Beck, Richard Thompson and other talented guitarists & musicians have come through my college town and played to wildly appreciative audiences. I hope MT does the same.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 06:06

i wonder why he chose to announce he'll never play with the band again in what is dressed up as a post to bobby keys' memory.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: June 18, 2015 10:20

I would love to be in a band with Mick Taylor. Give him my number. lol

I'll move to jolly ol' England too

Date: June 18, 2015 10:43

Turner68
i wonder why he chose to announce he'll never play with the band again in what is dressed up as a post to bobby keys' memory.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, too. Why use the phrase "the last time"...

The post was an otherwise beautiful write-up on Bobby and how they both entered the world of the Rolling Stones simultaneously.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 12:36

lphz
Here is part of a touching entry from MT's Facebook page today. The complete post includes a lovely tribute to Bobby Keys and a wistful confirmation that MT will not tour with the band again.

It's interesting how Bobby and I entered the band at the same time, when we were called in to record 'Live With Me' in May 1969. We were both out of favour with them for a number of years, and even lived and worked together in Miami in the 90s. He was meant to do the postponed dates in Australia/NZ with us for the 14 On Fire tour, but sadly he didn't make it to Adelaide. Unfortunately it would also turn out to be my last time going on the road with the band.

Like others here, I would wish MT to go out on his own. The Stones never seemed to embrace him as a band member on the tour, and never really let him loose to play. I even felt like he was constrained when he played those dates with Ronnie at the Cutting Room in NYC. I would love to see him with his own band. Jeff Beck, Richard Thompson and other talented guitarists & musicians have come through my college town and played to wildly appreciative audiences. I hope MT does the same.

It does seem very final re him playing with the guys again. It would be great if he did his own tour though, I'd definitely go and see him solo. It seems he was getting a solo career properly off the ground prior to rejoining the Stones in 2013. I guess part of the problem is that he's not a 'name' the same way other lead guitarists are. As I said earlier it would be great if he and Bill did some live stuff together.

Date: June 18, 2015 12:42

Seb91
lphz

It does seem very final re him playing with the guys again. It would be great if he did his own tour though, I'd definitely go and see him solo. It seems he was getting a solo career properly off the ground prior to rejoining the Stones in 2013. I guess part of the problem is that he's not a 'name' the same way other lead guitarists are. As I said earlier it would be great if he and Bill did some live stuff together.

i'd suggested on here a few weeks ago that someone set up a kickstarter to fund an album or tour for him, but someone else shot it down telling me that mick taylor had loads of money, etc. but i'd totally be willing to commit to paying to see/hear his music again.

Date: June 18, 2015 12:53

Turner68
Seb91
lphz

i'd suggested on here a few weeks ago that someone set up a kickstarter to fund an album for him, but someone else shot it down telling me that mick taylor had loads of money, etc. but i'd totally be willing to commit to paying to see/hear his music again.

That would be a proper way of channeling the energy toward something good for Taylor, imo. Something lots of Stones fans would be happy to participate in, myself included.

A real album, with new songs and a good band.

Posted by: Seb91 ()
Date: June 18, 2015 14:31

Turner68
Seb91
lphz

i'd suggested on here a few weeks ago that someone set up a kickstarter to fund an album or tour for him, but someone else shot it down telling me that mick taylor had loads of money, etc. but i'd totally be willing to commit to paying to see/hear his music again.

To be honest I imagine if he wanted to release an album or tour he would, after all he was doing so around 2012/13. Perhaps he just doesn't want to as he doesn't need the money after the Stones tours during the last couple of years.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 18, 2015 17:28

Seb91
Turner68
Seb91
lphz

To be honest I imagine if he wanted to release an album or tour he would, after all he was doing so around 2012/13. Perhaps he just doesn't want to as he doesn't need the money after the Stones tours during the last couple of years.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make, not to "shoot the idea down" (guess that remark was aimed at me). For what it's worth, even if he needs the money, I feel that the initiative to "kick-start" such a project should come from him personally to show that he's really up for it and to avoid possible excuses later on that he was "pushed into it by some fans".

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:14

M.Taylor, we miss youcool smiley
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 19, 2015 01:42

Taylor doesn't need anybody starting a friggin' kickstarter campaign to get him to make a record or finance his tour. confused smiley Touching thought but the guy is an international star and one of the most highly respected guitarists alive.

What would help him, imho, is getting together with the right group of musicians who could truly showcase his skills and having the management and support staff to put on a really good tour and show at some really exciting venues around the world.

No doubt in my mind that he was and still is one of the most exciting things to ever happen to the Stones musically speaking and I am still troubled by his exclusion from this tour. Just as troubling is the line from that Facebook post which infers he will never be on the road with the Stones again! Sounds like the bridge has been broken to me. I doubt it was broken by MT and suspect they haven't treated him well on several levels.

What comes across, once again, is that Taylor really wanted to be included in this Sticky Fingers celebration and perhaps that's what hurts the most.

peace

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 19, 2015 03:29

Naturalust
Taylor doesn't need anybody starting a friggin' kickstarter campaign to get him to make a record or finance his tour. confused smiley Touching thought but the guy is an international star and one of the most highly respected guitarists alive.

What would help him, imho, is getting together with the right group of musicians who could truly showcase his skills and having the management and support staff to put on a really good tour and show at some really exciting venues around the world.

No doubt in my mind that he was and still is one of the most exciting things to ever happen to the Stones musically speaking and I am still troubled by his exclusion from this tour. Just as troubling is the line from that Facebook post which infers he will never be on the road with the Stones again! Sounds like the bridge has been broken to me. I doubt it was broken by MT and suspect they haven't treated him well on several levels.

What comes across, once again, is that Taylor really wanted to be included in this Sticky Fingers celebration and perhaps that's what hurts the most.

peace

I think when the Stones publicly promote MT joining them on tour and then don't invite him on stage that that may just peeve MT just a little. Of course, maybe he wasn't available since "he's a shadow - he comes and goes." Kidding aside, I think he realizes he can't trust his old band and I think he may just be a little bitter about getting fooled. So clearly if he can't trust the Stones, he has to do something for himself, like get a band together, promo himself, and go out there and make hundreds of millions thousands moody smiley of dollars.

And if MT's going to put a band together I say Bill should be on bass no matter what.

Date: June 19, 2015 03:59

HearMeKnockin
And if MT's going to put a band together I say Bill should be on bass no matter what.

He should just go ahead and steal Charlie (and Chuck) too. That would just work on so many levels. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: June 19, 2015 04:54

Naturalust
HearMeKnockin

He should just go ahead and steal Charlie (and Chuck) too. That would just work on so many levels. grinning smiley

peace

Mm, that it would, except then the Stones would need Anita to raise Nicky and Stu back from the dead. And Brian too, so that Ronnie could move over to the drums... but then MT would have a GREAT band! thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up>grinning smiley<smileys with beerhot smileysmileys with beer>grinning smiley<thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 19, 2015 05:00

I doubt MT will tour small time. He has mentioned it is simply too rough for him. I hope he made some dough and can learn to live without regrets. I believe he feels there is nothing for him beyond the greatest band on the world. He was really pressured to fail during his world tour with them. Lousy monitoring, disinterested roadies and inconsistent stage appearances. He excelled anyhow even when his solos got chopped.

Date: June 19, 2015 05:23

HearMeKnockin
Naturalust
HearMeKnockin

peace

Mm, that it would, except then the Stones would need Anita to raise Nicky and Stu back from the dead. And Brian too, so that Ronnie could move over to the drums... but then MT would have a GREAT band! thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up>grinning smiley<smileys with beerhot smileysmileys with beer>grinning smiley<thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Ha! No, I hear Ringo doesn't have a permanent gig, he'd figure it out pretty quick and of course Jim Keltner can probably imitate Charlie better than Charlie if given the opportunity.

Keyboards and musical director would be a bit tougher, but as long as Chuck left his book and took his electronic piano, it would probably all work out. smoking smiley

Strange as it may seem I always thought Peter Frampton and Taylor could do some cool stuff together. Paul Rogers another possible excellent collaboration. The list is quite long actually.

peace

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 05:32

Naturalust
HearMeKnockin
Naturalust
HearMeKnockin

peace

Ha! No, I hear Ringo doesn't have a permanent gig, he'd figure it out pretty quick and of course Jim Keltner can probably imitate Charlie better than Charlie if given the opportunity.

Keyboards and musical director would be a bit tougher, but as long as Chuck left his book and took his electronic piano, it would probably all work out. smoking smiley

Strange as it may seem I always thought Peter Frampton and Taylor could do some cool stuff together. Paul Rogers another possible excellent collaboration. The list is quite long actually.

peace

You read my mind perfectly. Rumored in 1973 was that Taylor was going to join Free. Ultimately in hindsight, I wish he had because then he would have been in Bad Company and maybe kept playing with Paul Rodgers in The Firm. No doubt Mick Taylor should not rest on his laurels. The time is hot now. Personally, I would love if Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes would put a band together and have Taylor play and Rodgers singing and they do the best stuff of British blues and Stones/Free/Bad Company songs.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 19, 2015 05:48

He is well suited to play with Derek Trucks or with a bluesy jam band

He brings so much, he just needs tunes and a good rhythm section with a keyboard player.

A good vocalist wouldn't hurt either.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 06:01

Mick Taylor = Jimmy Page
Both: known for playing Les Pauls
Both: incredibly gifted
Both: not much stage presence
Both: did nothing with their careers after their biggest gig
Both: have legions of fans that want them out there playing
Both: could probably start a great band today but for some reason don't.

Date: June 19, 2015 06:03

bigmac7895
Personally, I would love if Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes would put a band together and have Taylor play and Rodgers singing and they do the best stuff of British blues and Stones/Free/Bad Company songs.

Excellent idea with Rich Robinson. Hard for me to imagine Taylor with Bad Company, their approach was so simple and polished..but the more I think about it, he could have done some amazing stuff with their great songs, put more of a virtuoso spin on the whole package.

peace

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: June 19, 2015 06:17

Taylor - Page in The Bluesbreakers.

Date: June 19, 2015 07:22

roller99
Mick Taylor = Jimmy Page

Page didn't have much stage presence? Did you ever see Zeppelin in concert? His playing was often sloppy but his presence was pretty undeniable.

I also wouldn't say neither did anything with their careers after the big gigs, sure neither was nearly as successful but each tried in their own way. Comparing anything to arguably the two greatest rock bands to ever exist is bound to come up a bit short.

peace

Date: June 19, 2015 07:30

Naturalust
roller99
Mick Taylor = Jimmy Page

Page didn't have much stage presence? Did you ever see Zeppelin in concert? His playing was often sloppy but his presence was pretty undeniable.

I also wouldn't say neither did anything with their careers after the big gigs, sure neither was nearly as successful but each tried in their own way. Comparing anything to arguably the two greatest rock bands to ever exist is bound to come up a bit short.

peace
You're forgetting about john Paul George and ringo
Great band and each ridiculously successful after

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 07:32

Naturalust
roller99
Mick Taylor = Jimmy Page

peace

Jimmy Page was an incindiery player, but no presence at all. Stood pretty much to the side. Compare him to Keith. KR has presence. Page??? No. Plant and Bonham were the animated ones. Page has done nothing but sit around rehashing old Zep records.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 19, 2015 08:26

bigmac7895
Personally, I would love if Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes would put a band together and have Taylor play and Rodgers singing and they do the best stuff of British blues and Stones/Free/Bad Company songs.

Great idea. Whatever he's going to do, it should be something along these lines. It's pretty obvious that he can't carry the burden of leading a band on his own merit alone. His forte is great guitar work, not putting a show together, organising tours and recording sessions and fronting a band by doing lead vocals. He needs a setup where he can shine with what he is doing best - and we all know what that is.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 19, 2015 08:39

roller99
Naturalust
roller99
Mick Taylor = Jimmy Page

peace

Jimmy Page was an incindiery player, but no presence at all. Stood pretty much to the side. Compare him to Keith. KR has presence. Page??? No. Plant and Bonham were the animated ones. Page has done nothing but sit around rehashing old Zep records.

Lol maybe you'll kill me, but I'd say hands down Page has more presence than Keith. He had the whole god damn violin bow and the posing and getting a solo spot where he's the only one on stage. Totally different from Taylor and Keith. Keith has presence, but a totally different, and frankly much more understated one than Jimmy Page. I agree with the second comment though. If you want to compare Taylor's presence to anyone in Zeppelin, its John Paul Jones, as both stood to the sidelines but effortlessly carried the bands they were in.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 08:48

Naturalust
bigmac7895

Excellent idea with Rich Robinson. Hard for me to imagine Taylor with Bad Company, their approach was so simple and polished..but the more I think about it, he could have done some amazing stuff with their great songs, put more of a virtuoso spin on the whole package.

peace

Mick Ralphs wrote a significant portion of those.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: June 19, 2015 11:16

Naturalust

peace

That would just help him and not that right group of musicians and not the management and support staff to put on a really great tour... That's exactly the reason something like this will not happen because nobody sees money in it...
It's a Disney fantasy and I agree it's very sweet and sometimes very touchy but...like all Disney it's far from truth or reality.
When was the last time MT played for a crowd of 750 or 1000 people? "Tonight: Mick Taylor" doesn't draw that amount of attention. Playing five times in six weeks for 750 people would be an Olympic record for him if he would achieve that today. If he could. But he couldn't. He wouldn't sell out the Fonda three days in a row. Not even for $5. Maybe 140 people would travel 150 miles to see that. Not even 30 would travel 300 miles for it. However: if he would play with the RS they would...but even then it's no big numbers. After all: how many empty seats were there because MT wasn't there...? Exactly: you couldn't notice...

Practically all the assumptions here in this thread are filled with accusations in the direction of the RS. I think in a way it's the other way round: when you know you hardly have a chance to start a tour yourself and the RS ask you to join you just make more out of it...he didn't. History repeating: MT bitter again..."they didn't ask me" But why was that? Not because he had the management and support staff who helped him to showcase his skills...he just had the musicians but his management and MT himself failed to do the rest while he had it all in his own hands from the start.

Taylor doesn't need anybody starting a friggin' kickstarter campaign?
Oh yes he does...
Not that I wouldn't like it to be any other way because I would like it to be better for him but...what did he do about it himself? And what did his manager do?? Posting on IORR trying to fight a war with the RS...boy did that help MT!
If he really wanted to be included he should have done a few things differently...

Date: June 19, 2015 11:23

I think making a good record is the way to go. If the fans like it, he can set up a club tour and everybody would be happy getting new material.

Nobody's making albums anymore, or there's no money in albums today, you'll probably say?

Well, the situation is different for Taylor, who hasn't produced a real album with major distribution in 36 years. It's time now!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...126127128129130131132133134135136...LastNext
Current Page: 131 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home