Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 308
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 2, 2015 11:13

Sighunt
he inclusion of Mick Taylor on this upcoming tour would only enhance the legacy rather than detract from it.

Taylor was used as a prop to bring some novelty effect to the 2013-14 tour, nothing more.
In that respect he probably ranked as "high" as Lady Gaga or Katy Perry in Jagger's opinion : "with these two broads we'll get some attention from the young people. With Taylor back we'll get some attention from the old Stones fanbase".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 12:42 by dcba.

Date: May 2, 2015 11:42

Sighunt
This Mick Taylor thread is now 75 pages and 72,000 + views and counting. So what is the take-away from this? The presence of Mick Taylor on this recent tour has been a game changer for all of us. Many fans like myself bought tickets in 2013 just to see Mick Taylor on stage with the Stones again. Stones fans are truly saddened and going through a sort of grieving process that from the looks of things (unless there is evidence to the contrary) indicates that Mick Taylor will not be coming back. Sadly, they carted Taylor out for their 50th reunion for two tunes (with the exception of playing a couple more classics on multiple dates in selected cities). Reviews from fans on songs he did play on whether it was Rambler or Can't You Hear Me Knocking were generally favorable. From my perspective, the stones threw some crumbs at the hardcore fans, and we were so stoked about having Mick Taylor on stage again (and let's face it-when we heard that Taylor was going to be going out on the road again with Stones-it was astounding to us and even unthinkable that this would ever happen again in our life-times!), that it is like a slap in the face that he is not invited back-especially when the theme (so far as I understand it) of this upcoming tour is to showcase the re-issue of one of their classic albums-Sticky Fingers leaving out the lead guitarist who was partly responsible for its success! Once again, another in a long line of Rolling Stones missed opportunities. From where I sit, the inclusion of Mick Taylor on this upcoming tour would only enhance the legacy rather than detract from it.

These are several threads merged in one. The amount of IORR posters participating in it isn't very high, though.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 2, 2015 12:05

DandelionPowderman
These are several threads merged in one. The amount of IORR posters participating in it isn't very high, though.

So you think that "no Taylor this tour" is really a non-issue for most people; a small candle kept alive by not more than a handful of Taylor fanatics, Dandy?

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: May 2, 2015 12:12

Sighunt
This Mick Taylor thread is now 75 pages and 72,000 + views and counting. So what is the take-away from this? The presence of Mick Taylor on this recent tour has been a game changer for all of us. Many fans like myself bought tickets in 2013 just to see Mick Taylor on stage with the Stones again. Stones fans are truly saddened and going through a sort of grieving process that from the looks of things (unless there is evidence to the contrary) indicates that Mick Taylor will not be coming back. Sadly, they carted Taylor out for their 50th reunion for two tunes (with the exception of playing a couple more classics on multiple dates in selected cities). Reviews from fans on songs he did play on whether it was Rambler or Can't You Hear Me Knocking were generally favorable. From my perspective, the stones threw some crumbs at the hardcore fans, and we were so stoked about having Mick Taylor on stage again (and let's face it-when we heard that Taylor was going to be going out on the road again with Stones-it was astounding to us and even unthinkable that this would ever happen again in our life-times!), that it is like a slap in the face that he is not invited back-especially when the theme (so far as I understand it) of this upcoming tour is to showcase the re-issue of one of their classic albums-Sticky Fingers leaving out the lead guitarist who was partly responsible for its success! Once again, another in a long line of Rolling Stones missed opportunities. From where I sit, the inclusion of Mick Taylor on this upcoming tour would only enhance the legacy rather than detract from it.

Totally agree, Sighunt. Well saidsmiling smiley

Date: May 2, 2015 12:31

alimente
DandelionPowderman

So you think that "no Taylor this tour" is really a non-issue for most people; a small candle kept alive by not more than a handful of Taylor fanatics, Dandy?

No, but I'm only putting things in perspective, my friend.

Date: May 2, 2015 14:06

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Of course, I was exaggerating a bit, but all in all, what I wrote looked like the perspective you were putting things in!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: May 2, 2015 14:32

Getondown
My opinion of Mick Taylor is this:

He is the greatest rock guitarist of all time.

Deep down the stones know this and for monetary reasons and ego reasons they left him out. Every knows this is the truth.

In a more realistic view I would say that he is in the Champions League of all guitar player making indispensable contributions to the history of guitar playing. He has a distinctive sound, so that he is recognizable in a few seconds if he is on the air. I agree that monetary reasons and the narcissistic disposition especially of Mick and Keith prevent him to get more spots in concerts and a more intensive influence on the present musical feature of the band that is unfortunately Chuck-f u c k e d u p.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 2, 2015 15:42

Sighunt
...it is like a slap in the face that he is not invited back-especially when the theme (so far as I understand it) of this upcoming tour is to showcase the re-issue of one of their classic albums-Sticky Fingers leaving out the lead guitarist who was partly responsible for its success!

I'd say that's an accurate description of how it feels...
I grew up with Sticky Fingers, and it was also the only Stones record I had form I was about five years in 1980 and til 1989 when saw 5X25 and got into bootlegs and all that. For me it was always about that band from '69-'73. I have nothing against Ron Wood, i love The Faces, and I have bought many boots trough the years from his period of the band during the '70s. It's simply the fact that Taylor contributet so much to the sound that made this record so good. When he's not playing on it, it's like having another guy to step in to play Keith's part -It wouldn't be the same...

Date: May 2, 2015 15:48

RobertJohnson
Getondown
My opinion of Mick Taylor is this:

He is the greatest rock guitarist of all time.

Deep down the stones know this and for monetary reasons and ego reasons they left him out. Every knows this is the truth.

In a more realistic view I would say that he is in the Champions League of all guitar player making indispensable contributions to the history of guitar playing. He has a distinctive sound, so that he is recognizable in a few seconds if he is on the air. I agree that monetary reasons and the narcissistic disposition especially of Mick and Keith prevent him to get more spots in concerts and a more intensive influence on the present musical feature of the band that is unfortunately Chuck-f u c k e d u p.

My take is that as the Stones are not willing to take any artistic challenges by changing their routine at least a little bit at this stage in the game, they simply feel that they don't need Taylor anymore. He was a nice gimmick for the whole 50's and counting celebratory affair, no less, but nothing more. It just doesn't make any sense to carry him around the States for one or two numbers per show. Plus, if they really plan to do more Sticky Fingers stuff this time, the outcry would be even louder to have him on more songs per show. The sheer fact of his participation at all, no matter how limited it really was, raised expectations that the band is not able or not willing, or both, to meet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 15:50 by alimente.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:24

DoctorFreddie
Sighunt

Totally agree, Sighunt. Well saidsmiling smiley

The same reason for me buying tickets for the 2013-2014 shows. Had hoped for more MT stuff - some 4-5 songs.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:31

LuxuryStones

Well Kleer, one of his representatives is giving Mick a compliment after a series of natural harmonics, at 0:15: "Great shot".

I didn't know Taylor played basketball on stage.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:51

dcba
Sighunt
he inclusion of Mick Taylor on this upcoming tour would only enhance the legacy rather than detract from it.

Taylor was used as a prop to bring some novelty effect to the 2013-14 tour, nothing more.
With Taylor back we'll get some attention from the old Stones fanbase".

Sadly, in retrospect your assessment, I concur with this. Good marketing ploy, his presence will sell some tickets, etc. But let's also be honest, the pre-tour hype leading up to the reunion tour "implied" at least by Keith (who we all know talks out the side of his arse and gets out-voted by the head CEO M.J.), that Taylor would a bigger role to play than what he got. But I still feel strongly that having Taylor on board for this upcoming tour in support of Sticky Fingers in a more active role would, at the very least, garner some some great reviews.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 2, 2015 16:54

Sighunt
...Sadly, they carted Taylor out for their 50th reunion for two tunes (with the exception of playing a couple more classics on multiple dates in selected cities).

Yes, and that was extremely humiliating for so talented a guitarist! I really see no use of carrying him around the world while he has not but the opportunity of playing basically one song (any average amateur guitarist could probably do the strummung along on Satisfaction). Even if they did not want him to invite as a full member they should have played at least three to four numbers with him. That's the bitter truth behind it.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:04

Getting him to strum an acoustic on Satisfaction was nothing other than a calculated insult and ritualistic humiliation, payback time for his decision to quit. I'm genuinely amazed he didn't walk the first time Pierre tried to hand that guitar to him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 17:06 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:11

DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

Good post sighunt, well said. And Dandie, it isn't all about the amount of participants but it's more about heartfelt Taylor appreciation and lots of quality posts!

peace

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:19

DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Well...there is a marketing rule of thumb. For every person that makes the effort to write and post a comment there are 25-30 that agree with the opinion but stay quiet and do not post. Just in my small group of aquaintances I know a good half dozen fans that feel exactly the same way. Mind you, our demographic is 50+. Still, there are likely a fair number of us all around...There are a lot of youtube and facebook comments expressing their dismay at MT's exclusion...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 17:24 by palerider22.

Posted by: ChelseaGirls ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:20

alimente
DandelionPowderman

That is the case, actually. Always pay attention to the silent majority! Anyway, even though I am glad to see that this thread is still alive, the "Mick Taylor or no Mick Taylor" debate is not the issue, if we talk about music.

The enthusiam shared by the Taylorites (sounds like the name of a f-ucking sect! grinning smiley) is touching (I am not saying this in a condescending kind of way), but this is a lost cause, and the idea of an old Mick Taylor who just does the job without the exciting context of the Stones' golden age is not that interesting.

Date: May 2, 2015 17:28

palerider22
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Well...there is a marketing rule of thumb. For every person that makes the effort to write and post a comment there are 25-30 that agree but stay quiet and do not post. Just in my small group of aquaintances I know a good half dozen fans that feel exactly the same way. Mind you, our demographic is 50+. Still, there are likely a
fair number of us all around...There are a lot of youtube and facebook comments expressing their dismay at MT's exclusion...

Yeah but there are also people who don't give a f-uck about this debate but won't post just to write "hey, don't care at all".

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:41

palerider22
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Well...there is a marketing rule of thumb. For every person that makes the effort to write and post a comment there are 25-30 that agree with the opinion but stay quiet and do not post. Just in my small group of aquaintances I know a good half dozen fans that feel exactly the same way. Mind you, our demographic is 50+. Still, there are likely a fair number of us all around...There are a lot of youtube and facebook comments expressing their dismay at MT's exclusion...

yep..and I am one of those..

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 2, 2015 17:50

Btw: I just saw this: [www.concertvault.com]

Does anyone know which source this show is from? I'm no member so I can't listen to the music, alas.

Maybe some ChelseaGirls do know? They're famous for their outstanding posts and knowledge.

Date: May 2, 2015 18:06

Wonder what is the connection between my post and yours.

Date: May 2, 2015 18:08

palerider22
DandelionPowderman
alimente
DandelionPowderman

Just as many, if not more, love songs from the Brian era the most. Many young people like Taylor etc.

Date: May 2, 2015 18:10

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

Good post sighunt, well said. And Dandie, it isn't all about the amount of participants but it's more about heartfelt Taylor appreciation and lots of quality posts!

peace

That was my point as well, since someone used the volume of posts as a proof. That's misleading in this thread.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:24

DandelionPowderman
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt

peace

That was my point as well, since someone used the volume of posts as a proof. That's misleading in this thread.
Last night I went to Clapton at MSG, strangers sitting next to me saw my Stones shirt from "Grrrr". I told them I love The Stones, they replied "I won't go without MT." They were casual fans, everyone that knows RS' knows Mick Taylor and what he means to their stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 18:25 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 2, 2015 18:34

Well, let's see how many empty seats there'll be. Maybe you're right, or maybe Clapton fans are a similar species to Taylor fans - wholeheartedly dedicated, but not so many of the overall Stones fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-02 18:35 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 2, 2015 18:46

DandelionPowderman
Well, let's see how many empty seats there'll be. Maybe you're right, or maybe Clapton fans are a similar species to Taylor fans - wholeheartedly dedicated, but not so many of the overall Stones fans.

I rather think the Clapton fans are, just like the Taylor-era and Jones-era fans, more interested in the music than in the circus, the fireworks, the entourage and the idea of having seen the Stones in the flesh, like living Mme Tussaud dolls. They're some sort of tourist attraction since quite some time.

People who really care about the music won't go to a RS stadium show. Unless Taylor has a substantial musical role of course.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 2, 2015 19:35

DandelionPowderman

Of course Taylor fans are Stones fans since it's that era of the Stones that the Stones and the fans generally consider their peak.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 2, 2015 19:50

DandelionPowderman
Is it all about the seats they sell? I would like to believe they'd want to appeal to the musically entrenched fan as well...

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 2, 2015 19:55

kleermaker
Btw: I just saw this: [www.concertvault.com]

Does anyone know which source this show is from?

Re: POST : SB ; Wolfgang's Vault Foret Nationale ( Brussels, Belgium ) 10-17-1973
Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: September 27, 2008 19:32

Brown Sugar is from Rotterdam and Street Fighting Man is from London!!!

Date: May 2, 2015 21:12

Redhotcarpet
DandelionPowderman

Of course Taylor fans are Stones fans since it's that era of the Stones that the Stones and the fans generally consider their peak.

I think you didn't get my post?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1761
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home