Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 308
Re: MT Thread Closure?
Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 14, 2015 09:35

Xi Jinping strikes again.

Rock music history 101 for the moderator:
Rolling Stones = anti-authoritarian band

Seriously it looks like you have to pray the Almighy moderator if you don't want to see a thread closed.
He has a boner right now because he knows that he can do everything with "His" message board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 09:37 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 14, 2015 09:40

Can we imagine that there is some old existing Brian Jones Thread for really old Puritans?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 14, 2015 09:46

we post anywhere man

don't we ?

Date: April 14, 2015 09:50

Come On
Can we imagine that there is some old existing Brian Jones Thread for really old Puritans?

He will only be compared to Taylor... What about a Dick Taylor thread?

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 10:02

I'm surprised it wasn't closed earlier..... It was a mixture of conjecture, fantasy..... and complete bullshit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 10:03 by strat72.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:04

Maybe you can discuss this whole thing on a Mick Taylor fanclub site?
Is there something like that?

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: April 14, 2015 11:07

Niek
Maybe you can discuss this whole thing on a Mick Taylor fanclub site?
Is there something like that?

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:08

gripweed
it seems BV censored himself by closing the MT thread he started, interesting indeed....

Yes, but an understandable decision since closing down Mick Taylor threads has hitherto been a totally reliable way of making IORRians lose interest in the guy...

Short of banning everyone likely to post on it, the topic isn't going away.

As so often, this appears to be about Taylor yet is really about much more than him. The thread that's just been shut (without explanation, and for no obvious reason other than it was embarrassing the Stones' management) contained some of the best and most insightful writing I've seen on IORR. The question of whether or not MT can be discussed here is really about the kind of fan community we, and BV, want this to be. IORR can either be a broad church, inclusive, open for the discussion of all Stones music on a level playing field and probably the best music forum of its type anywhere on the web. Alternatively, it can be an inane fan site devoted to the current band, denying large parts of its past and mostly a repository for ticket information and 'Ronnie is the man' threads.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:11

Stoneburst
gripweed
it seems BV censored himself by closing the MT thread he started, interesting indeed....

Yes, but an understandable decision since closing down Mick Taylor threads has hitherto been a totally reliable way of making IORRians lose interest in the guy...

Short of banning everyone likely to post on it, the topic isn't going away.

As so often, this appears to be about Taylor yet is really about much more than him. The thread that's just been shut (without explanation, and for no obvious reason other than it was embarrassing the Stones' management) contained some of the best and most insightful writing I've seen on IORR. The question of whether or not MT can be discussed here is really about the kind of fan community we, and BV, want this to be. IORR can either be a broad church, inclusive, open for the discussion of all Stones music on a level playing field and probably the best music forum of its type anywhere on the web. Alternatively, it can be an inane fan site devoted to the current band, denying large parts of its past and mostly a repository for ticket information and 'Ronnie is the man' threads.

It's easy, really. As long as we can steer clear of Taylor/Wood debates, or follow the board rules, the threads won't get closed down.

In both threads this happened. Forum rules were broken, and a hefty Taylor/Wood debate was initiated. Non-Taylor fans were commenting in the Taylor thread, and posters like yourself were calling Wood solos "garbage" in the Wood thread.

I don't blame anyone, but I understand Bjørnulf's decision.

The Taylor thread was also an attempt to gather several threads of discontent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 11:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:23

Precisely which board rules were broken in the Taylor thread?

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:27

You are right DP, Taylor started the lick on a B, just gave it another listen. What a difference a semitone makes when yo pay attention. I think Taylor was very reluctant with his licks compared to 1973 though.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:29

Stoneburst

– No Taylor/Wood debates
– Campaigns are not accepted
– Belittling of individuals

Date: April 14, 2015 11:32

LuxuryStones
You are right DP, Taylor started the lick on a B, just gave it another listen. What a difference a semitone makes when yo pay attention.I think Taylor was very reluctant with his licks compared to 1973 though.

Yeah! Both things work, though, but the difference is bigger than one might think.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:35

palerider22
Just noticed that the Mick Taylor thread was closed...How come? Some of the best posters and some really outstanding and well-written thoughts were in that thread. How does it work? Is that topic banned? Thanks in advance...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 14, 2015 11:37

There was another "shadow" thread similar to this one named "Ronnie Wood Talk...". So we had two threads with the same stuff. I closed that other thread because it was basically turning into another Ronnie Wood versus Mick Taylor thread. Then, as you do some cleanup, it takes like one second to close a thread, so I closed this one as well.

Why did I close this thread too? Because in one way it was turning into another Ronnie Wood versus Mick Taylor Thread. There has been half a dozen of those, and they do usually turn nasty after a while, like a world war one zone with a border beetween the pro's and the con's shooting at each others. Some people repeating the same statements again and again and again. Then others start fights and calling names. It gets nasty. That is what I call a campaign, which is not really very creative.

Sure there are many great comments here too of coure. That is why I re-opened this thread for posting now. As long as people keep the comments on a non-insulting level and show respect, I have no problems keeping this thread and any other threads open.

Comparing IORR to North Korea is interesting. Thanks for your support. I assume those who call me Kim something don't really know me very well. Enjoy the freedom to post on IORR still.

Bjornulf

Date: April 14, 2015 11:40

Let's continue this thread with some classic Taylor, then.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:43

DandelionPowderman
Stoneburst

– No Taylor/Wood debates
– Campaigns are not accepted
– Belittling of individuals

1) it wasn't a Taylor/Wood debate
2) also not a campaign, unless talking about someone is campaigning on their behalf.
3) Who was 'belittled' in the Taylor thread?

(Edited re: BV's last comment)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 11:46 by Stoneburst.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:44

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
You are right DP, Taylor started the lick on a B, just gave it another listen. What a difference a semitone makes when yo pay attention.I think Taylor was very reluctant with his licks compared to 1973 though.

Yeah! Both things work, though, but the difference is bigger than one might think.

Than one might hear, it's split second only.winking smiley

Date: April 14, 2015 11:46

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

Than one might hear, it's split second only.winking smiley

But Taylor is also playing the E at the D string, making it a more traditional country lick. Keith isn't. That is also part of the magic here.

Date: April 14, 2015 11:58

DandelionPowderman

But Taylor is also playing the E at the D string, making it a more traditional country lick. Keith isn't. That is also part of the magic here.

That's a way to interpret it: For Keith it's an important lick, Taylor uses the lick as a tool for short noodling to follow. That's the way Taylor thinks I think.

Date: April 14, 2015 12:31

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

That's a way to interpret it: For Keith it's an important lick, Taylor uses the lick as a tool for short noodling to follow. That's the way Taylor thinks I think.

Yep. "no way people are gonna notice Mick singing the words Brown Sugar - I'm gonna be all over the chorus" grinning smiley

Jokes aside, I think you're right.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:49

bv
There was another "shadow" thread similar to this one named "Ronnie Wood Talk...". So we had two threads with the same stuff. I closed that other thread because it was basically turning into another Ronnie Wood versus Mick Taylor thread. Then, as you do some cleanup, it takes like one second to close a thread, so I closed this one as well.

Why did I close this thread too? Because in one way it was turning into another Ronnie Wood versus Mick Taylor Thread. There has been half a dozen of those, and they do usually turn nasty after a while, like a world war one zone with a border beetween the pro's and the con's shooting at each others. Some people repeating the same statements again and again and again. Then others start fights and calling names. It gets nasty. That is what I call a campaign, which is not really very creative.

Sure there are many great comments here too of coure. That is why I re-opened this thread for posting now. As long as people keep the comments on a non-insulting level and show respect, I have no problems keeping this thread and any other threads open.
Comparing IORR to North Korea is interesting. Thanks for your support. I assume those who call me Kim something don't really know me very well. Enjoy the freedom to post on IORR still.

Yeah, you are right. You are not a dictator, just the kind of guy who thinks "as long as there is social cohesion, everything is fine so be happy and shut the f-uck up. You are allowed to speak but not too much"

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 14, 2015 12:57

RomanCandle

Yeah, you are right. You are not a dictator, just the kind of guy who thinks "as long as there is social cohesion, everything is fine so be happy and shut the f-uck up. You are allowed to speak but not too much"

Thanks for your support. Good to be with friends.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 12:57 by bv.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: April 14, 2015 13:36

The re-release of Sticky Fingers and the release of the Marquee show will remind those who are interested in the Stones (others won't buy or care about it anyway)what a great and creative band they've been including MT and BW.
The Stones are still around although in different formation for various reasons.And that's fine with me.I still enjoy listening to the nowadays live shows,sometimes more-sometimes less.
The show I attented last year has been a highlight for me not because of nostalgia but musically.

It's not the church of Jagger,Richards,Watts and Wood.And not of MT.
It's the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:15

DandelionPowderman
Non-Taylor fans were commenting in the Taylor thread

How dare they! I'll keep out of it in future.

(Seriously, I know what you meant, but it wasn't a thread for worshippers only - and still isn't. Thank you bv.)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:19

The decision to close this thread and possibly delete comments(?) is a very effective method if one wants to stop a fruitful and interesting discussion and "kill" a thread. What exactly are we allowed to discuss? I didn't see any personal insults in this thread. Is there a rule against comparing two guitar payers? If so I'm sorry if I did.

Anyway, I listened to a 1972 version of Happy and wonder what you guys think of Taylors fills. To me it sounds like he's really adding something behind Keiths riff, coloring the rhythm almost. That's something I miss from 1975 and onwards. Not comparing him to Ronnie, Ronnie did his thing with the bottleneck.

Date: April 14, 2015 14:20

Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
Non-Taylor fans were commenting in the Taylor thread

How dare they! I'll keep out of it in future.

(Seriously, I know what you meant, but it wasn't a thread for worshippers only - and still isn't. Thank you bv.)

He he, I know grinning smiley

But the angrier and more one-dimensional each camp gets, the more likely is it that the good ol' Taylor/Wood fighting rises up from the trenches...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 14, 2015 14:27

bv
RomanCandle

Thanks for your support. Good to be with friends.

No offense but I don't think you as a moderator (it's nothing personal, it's your role) can be friends with anybody here, I don't think it's possible.
You are in power and you have reminded us you can shut down threads and even erase the whole board if you like. That makes you the boss like it or not.

I gotta say I really enjoy the board and the discussions here. You can be proud you have the best board with some of the best stuff ever written about the band. thumbs up

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 14, 2015 15:12

Phil Good
CousinC
Listening to Essen 70 I always have to laugh. A big group of fans in front of stage (no fence!) were screaming for Satisfactin all through the gig. Jagger got furious and pulled a bottle of beer over their heads. Good gig it was.

I attended that show too and, in fact, in front row.
I had my elbows on the edge of the stage right in front of where
Keith mostly stays.
Well, I do remember well, that Jagger, bored by the screaming, sang without the mike "I c'ant get no Satisfaction" just that one line and only one time.
You could only hear it when you was that near by as I was.
What a day!

Edited to add:
CousinC, just for the record there was a fence with just a few security guys behind it.
But at the same moment the lights went out and the Stones came on stage we entered that fence and nobody tried to avoid it.

Fantastic story! Thanks. Well done by Mick.

Boy, I love that boot, the best we've got from the 1970 tour, which was a really great tour.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 15:39

Nice to see the thread back open...I'm going to listen to Essen on your youtube channel later today kleermaker...Thanks again for putting all the Mick Taylor era music on there...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 15:41 by palerider22.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5253545556575859606162...LastNext
Current Page: 57 of 308

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1696
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home