Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chuck Berry At It Again
Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: July 6, 2005 20:37

ROCK'N'ROLL legend Chuck Berry left thousands of Glasgow fans angry and disappointed after refusing to go on stage.
Berry was expected on stage at the city's Royal Concert Hall at around 9pm last night in a rare Scottish appearance.
But at shortly after 9.20pm the Johnny B. Goode star told staff and promoters he would not play.
It is understood he made a number of demands, which the promoters were unable to fulfil, minutes before pulling the plug on the gig.
One source said: "Berry, as performers do, had a list of demands which the promoters bent over backwards to fulfill.
"Then he made more, at this stage we're not sure what, but because he was due on stage these couldn't be done.
"It seems this didn't go down too well with him and he made up his mind not to play."
Last night's gig started as normal but a long wait ensued after the support band finished.
The atmosphere became tense when punters, who had come to hear classics like Roll Over Beethoven and My Ding-A-Ling, began to doubt the show would go ahead.
Concert Hall staff were already offering refunds by the time the cancellation statement was made.
But as hundreds queued at the box office and tempers flared, they had to request refunds be sought at a later date.
Disappointed fan Dave Buchanan said: "We came to see a living legend.
"We feel as empty as that stage was tonight."
The promoter, CPL now has legal teams looking at the cancellation.
A Concert Hall spokeswoman said: "Chuck Berry's reasons for not taking the stage are not known.
"CPL wishes to apologise for the inconvenience caused by this.
Unfortunately the circumstances surrounding Mr Berry's non-appearance were completely out of its control and it expressed its disappointment on behalf of all the fans who bought tickets for the performance."
She added: "Refunds in full will be automatically processed by our box office today on behalf of the promoter."

[www.eveningtimes.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-08 02:02 by GuessWho.

Re: Chuck Berry At It Again
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:20

One more reason to be glad: he rocked the house in Hamburg/Germany on June 26th - and I was there! We knew that the chance that he enters the stage is 20 to 80 percent.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:28

gotta love the attitude! if that ain't rock'n'roll, i don't know what is...

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:37

I`m not sure you`d have the same take on it if the Stones blew out a gig 20 mins after show time!

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: July 6, 2005 21:44

We don't know the true particulars of that incident and may never know, so why bother.

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 6, 2005 22:15

Question: I've been wanting to see him perform at Blueberry Hill for quite some time. Is it worth it? I've heard he still has a chip on his shoulder and all that, and the reviews surrounding previous shows have been anywhere from amazing to piss poor. Is it worth it?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 6, 2005 23:02

GuessWho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I`m not sure you`d have the same take on it if the
> Stones blew out a gig 20 mins after show time!

Absolutely!

Date: July 7, 2005 01:11

I've seen Chuck Berry several times at Blueberry Hill and other places in St. Louis, he's always been great, a great showman, and friendly too. He does "meet and greets" after the shows, well, so I think you should go, the tickets are around $25.00.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 7, 2005 06:42

What kind of area of town is Blueberry Hill in? Not too familiar with the town.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: July 7, 2005 07:59

What a complete dickhead.
He really should throw it in.
I wouldn't bother to see him if he were playing next door.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 7, 2005 10:02

"the tickets are around $25.00"

He was in Milano yesterday. Refused to go (seen him before, anyway): decent tix from 68 to 44 EUR.

You all warry about Stones tix prices, but the tough reality is that that they simply are market value.

As a matter of fact, if I went to see all the concerts (and football games) I wanted to see (as I usually did in the past) I would go bankrupt within days!

Last time I saw Berry tix were around 12 EUR (FOS)

C

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 7, 2005 18:08

I saw him 1 year ago on Saturday - His performance was very poor for most of the gig. Especially the amp sound and guitar playing ,which was mainly slapping the bottom strings.

He adjusted his amp and actually played great versions of Johnny Be Goode and Reelin'and a Rockin'at the end of his set.

JBG and the duckwalk were met with an massive cheer and probably saved the gig from complete disaster.

He dosen't give a @#$%&. If you go to see him,it's like Russian roulette.

To be honest,I'd probably chance it again !

sc uk

Date: July 7, 2005 20:29

drake wrote:

"What kind of area of town is Blueberry Hill in? Not too familiar with the town."

Blueberry Hill is on a "section" of Delmar that's in a pretty good area in University City, (connected to St. Louis, MO). Take 64/40 west, ( your driving from the east from Illinois). Take the North Kingshighway exit, go straight through several stop lights till you get to Delmar, turn left on Delmar and go through several more stop lights till you the see Blueberry Hill marquee, on your left. The area has clubs and nice shops and restaurants, with many people enjoying this popular area. Or go to Mapquest for better directions.

The tickets in "St. Louis" are around $25.00.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: July 7, 2005 22:05

And there is a great new & used record store down the block...Vintage Vinyl?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 8, 2005 01:19

liddas Wrote:
> > "the tickets are around $25.00"
>
> He was in Milano yesterday. Refused to go (seen
> him before, anyway): decent tix from 68 to 44 EUR.
>
>
> You all warry about Stones tix prices, but the
> tough reality is that that they simply are market
> value.
>
> As a matter of fact, if I went to see all the
> concerts (and football games) I wanted to see (as
> I usually did in the past) I would go bankrupt
> within days!
>
> Last time I saw Berry tix were around 12 EUR
> (FOS)
>
> C
>
>

Christ. It must have been a Chuck Berry tribute act I saw the night I went to see him. Tickets were £25 (which is about $45) - and that was ten years ago!

he played for EXACTLY an hour. Not a minute less and not a minute more! he was obviously watchin' the clock! It was pretty good.

It was good to see him that one time, but I doubt I'd take the chance at this stage to see him again. Not at that price anyway and certainly not after reading that report above.

Date: July 8, 2005 08:26

Why don't you listen to the GOOD reports Gazza? Chuck is really good, and a true Legend, why haven't I ever seen him at his worse then?

$25.00 is cheap compared to the STONES prices.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 8, 2005 12:46

I do listen, Flynn - and I like Chuck. Read what I said above. I enjoyed it when I saw him. I just find his attitude to often be contemptible but I was pleased to read recent reviews on here that were positive.

the price I was referring to was the £25 one, not the $25 - and transatlantic flights are cheap compared to Stones prices, never mind Chuck Berry tickets!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 8, 2005 12:52

It seems that Chuck was not exactly on top form yesterday (terrible reviews here) and that he ended the concert after less than 1 hour without encores, apparently pissed off because after he had invited some girls to dance on stage, also some males showed up!

C

Posted by: salar ()
Date: July 8, 2005 14:13

TooTough Wrote:
> One more reason to be glad: he rocked the house in
> Hamburg/Germany on June 26th - and I was there! We
> knew that the chance that he enters the stage is
> 20 to 80 percent.

That`s why I would never go to a CB concert....although I can not believe what I am saying here...
of course I would like to see that great man of Rock`n Roll..
but to be on a concert and hearing that CB does not play...
would piss me off so much that I have to say:

Who do you think you are, Chuck Berry ?

This kind of star attitude....should I play tonight or should I not ?
Oh come on..as a promoter I would fire him...he has become famous for refusing to play due to silly reasons like:
" Oh my dear, the backstage wine hasn`t got the right temperature....
Oh I can`t play..."

So, if you do not respect your fans.....stay where you are Mr. Berry....

See you on the tour
salar

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 9, 2005 01:26

chucks always been a bitter jealous fool

Date: July 9, 2005 03:27

In St. Louis, at the shows I have been to, Chuck asks "anyone who wants to" to climb on Stage for the encore, Guys and Gals alike. He doesn't mind and afterward, he has "meet and greets" too.

I don't know what happened at the Shows you guys attended. I guess all Rock Stars have a bad day now and again. Look at Keith and Mick, they can be rather trying, at times. Keith has went off many times, in his own way, and on Stage too, so I guess it comes with the territory.

Posted by: charles wattage ()
Date: July 9, 2005 04:56

Sorry to the fans who missed the show.Hopefully they can reschedule,not likely I know,but maybe.I saw him 2 years ago in Trenton NJ, and he was honary to his band ,we thought he was gonna walk off.It was great to see him ,though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home