Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ALTAMONT - The Setlist
Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 14, 2015 18:32

Righto...id be interested to know what the pre-performance setlist was versus what was played that fateful evening.
We know the Stones didnt change much throughout the tour except add Gimme Shelter now and then..
maybe Ronnie Schneider might know what the plan was?
for example...were the acoustic numbers sacked before the Stones went on stage? Or changed whilst sorting out the mayhem.
We know Brown Sugar was added on a whim...

Gimme Shelter and Under My Thumb played together...this was rare on the 1969 tour.

Re: ALTAMONT - The Setlist
Date: February 15, 2015 00:52

It makes sense that they would amp the setlist up: play them all, since it was the big goodbye. Also to leave the acoustic numbers off makes a lot of sense, even before knowing about the situation there. For an overnight assembled '69 PA I would try to make it as simple as possible.
Seems like the only off-the-cuff number was the Blues. "Sun is Shining".

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2015 01:54

The set list for the 1969 tour changed very little. Sometimes they'd end Under My Thumb with I'm Free. Some shows they didn't play Prodigal Son after Love In Vain.

So... pre-performance set list looked like this, I would reckon:

Jumping Jack Flash/Carol/Sympathy For The Devil/Stray Cat Blues/
Love In Vain/Under My Thumb/Midnight Rambler/Gimme Shelter/Live With Me/
Little Queenie/Satisfaction/Honky Tonk Women/Street Fighting Man

Of course they threw Brown Sugar into it having just recorded the bottoms for it in Alabama. And bizarrely enough they didn't play Gimme Shelter except for two shows one and five of the tour and then not until the last show of the tour in Florida.

Date: February 15, 2015 07:56

There's a pic backstage at Altamont of an acoustic guitar...but I guess that could have been with the band for a casual strum...maybe not.
It is possible the same usual set was planned that morning, but changed as they hit the stage.

Yeah the Gimme Shelter selection may have been due to let It Bleed being release to the US that day?
Weird they didnt play it more often during the tour.

Date: February 15, 2015 18:12

They didn't play very much from the album anyway! Live With Me, Love In Vain and Midnight Rambler for every show plus Honky Tonk Women. So playing Gimme Shelter in shows 1, 5 and 23 (West Palm Beach, FLA) of the tour - at least as far as what is known - something must not've worked right for them to exclude it for so many shows.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 15, 2015 22:09

You're analyses are following a wrong trace. The Stones hadn't played the US since summer 1966. Then they promoted Aftermath but didn't play Under My Thumb. So they had to promote the following three years and they did quite well with that.
What you might have overseen: When they started the tour their brand new lp was Through the Past Darkly!
The question would be more why they also added something totally "unaccompanied" like Little Queenie? Did they already intend to release a live record in the following year - which means: before Live'r Than You'll Ever Be?
(I don't know when this Dylan live record was released that is at the beginning of the live bootleg boom?)

Date: February 15, 2015 22:28

JJHMick
You're analyses are following a wrong trace. The Stones hadn't played the US since summer 1966. Then they promoted Aftermath but didn't play Under My Thumb. So they had to promote the following three years and they did quite well with that.
What you might have overseen: When they started the tour their brand new lp was Through the Past Darkly!
The question would be more why they also added something totally "unaccompanied" like Little Queenie? Did they already intend to release a live record in the following year - which means: before Live'r Than You'll Ever Be?
(I don't know when this Dylan live record was released that is at the beginning of the live bootleg boom?)

They still played/promoted LET IT BLEED on the 1969 tour with the three to four songs from the LP. What's bizarre is they toured before the LP came out. Makes zero sense.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 15, 2015 22:41

The release of Let It Bleed was delayed - the band wasn't happy with the sound or the colour saturation on the cover art (or something!).
It was supposed to come out at the start of the tour, the way that makes molto sense.

Date: February 15, 2015 22:50

The last tour of the US in summer 1966 promoting Aftermath.
Missing lps in between: Between the Buttons, Flowers, Their Satanic, Beggars Banquet. Don't forget Singles played role on their own then.
Now fall-autumn/winter 1969 promoting Big Hits Vol.II (September) and Let It Bleed (late November)

pre 1966:
Carol (never played in the US before; but no lp among the above, back catalogue so to say)
Im Free (see Carol)
Satisfaction (already a war horse...)

1966:
Under My Thumb (never played in the US before; but no lp among the above, back catalogue so to say)

1967: Jumping Jack Flash (Big Hits II)

1968: (Beggars Banquet) Prodigal Son; Sympathy For The Devil; Stray Cat Blues and Street Fighting Man (also Big Hits II)

1969: Honky Tonk Women (Big Hits II)
(Let It Bleed) Love In Vain; Midnight Rambler; Gimme Shelter; Live With Me

1969: Little Queenie is the exception; Was it intended as an extra for an upcoming live long player (that became Get Yer) which we until now only considered to be answer to the bootlegs?!

Date: February 15, 2015 22:56

OK. So... I'm not sure what your point is. The question was what they had played with for a set list pre-Altamont, which means the 1969 tour regarding the tour, at least, as far as I understood it. Of course any set lists pre-1969 were different. They had a new LP coming out at the end of the tour, they played 3 songs from it every night, with a fourth song for only 3 shows as far as anyone knows, and then once it was out they did next to nothing for it. Almost as if it didn't matter...

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: February 15, 2015 23:29

Setlist Altamont;
1.jumpin jack flash-released as single 68 68
2.Carol-Berry cover released first album 64 64
3.Sympathy for the devil.released beggars banquet 68 68
4.The sun is shining-cover song by Jimmy reed(released 57), 69
5.Stray cat blues- released beggars banquet 68 68
6.Love in vain-Robert Johnson cover released on let it bleed 69
7.Under my thumb-released on aftermath 66 66
8.Brown sugar-released sticky fingers 71 (recorded 69) 71 71
9.Midnight rambler-released let it bleed 69 69
10.Live with me-released let it bleed 69 69
11.Gimme shelter-released let it bleed 69 69
12.Little queenie-Berry cover-released get yer ya....... 70
13.Satisfaction-released as a single (uk) 65 65
14.Honky tonk women released as single 69 69
15.Street fightin man-released on beggars banquet 68 68

Let it bleed released 5 des 69
Altamont 6 dec 69

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: February 15, 2015 23:40

DoctorFreddie
Setlist Altamont;
1.jumpin jack flash-released as single 68 68
2.Carol-Berry cover released first album 64 64
3.Sympathy for the devil.released beggars banquet 68 68
4.The sun is shining-cover song by Jimmy reed(released 57), 69
5.Stray cat blues- released beggars banquet 68 68
6.Love in vain-Robert Johnson cover released on let it bleed 69
7.Under my thumb-released on aftermath 66 66
8.Brown sugar-released sticky fingers 71 (recorded 69) 71 71
9.Midnight rambler-released let it bleed 69 69
10.Live with me-released let it bleed 69 69
11.Gimme shelter-released let it bleed 69 69
12.Little queenie-Berry cover-released get yer ya....... 70
13.Satisfaction-released as a single (uk) 65 65
14.Honky tonk women released as single 69 69
15.Street fightin man-released on beggars banquet 68 68

Let it bleed released 5 des 69
Altamont 6 dec 69

thumbs up Correct. See www.nzentgraf.de.

6th December: Livermore, California, Altamont Speedway
(Jumping Jack Flash/Carol/Sympathy For The Devil [restarted]/The Sun
Is Shining/Stray Cat Blues/Love In Vain/Under My Thumb [restarted]/
Brown Sugar/Midnight Rambler/Live With Me/Gimme Shelter/Little
Queenie/Satisfaction/Honky Tonk Women/Street Fighting Man)
Note: Author of The Sun Is Shining is Jimmy Reed/Ewart Abner/Calvin Carter.
The concert was filmed by the Maysles brothers for the upcoming
Gimme Shelter-movie.

Date: February 16, 2015 00:06

GasLightStreet
OK. So... I'm not sure what your point is. The question was what they had played with for a set list pre-Altamont, which means the 1969 tour regarding the tour, at least, as far as I understood it. Of course any set lists pre-1969 were different. They had a new LP coming out at the end of the tour, they played 3 songs from it every night, with a fourth song for only 3 shows as far as anyone knows, and then once it was out they did next to nothing for it. Almost as if it didn't matter...

Maybe I didn't get your point either!
I wanted to make out that they had more to promote than Let It Bleed.
Four out of nine songs in Altamont is more than they do today... And if you add Honky Tonk Women/Country Honk it's even more.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 16, 2015 13:00

It would be interesting to hear the metamorphosis of Gimme Shelter from '69-'72 back to back. If I can recall, Richards played lead in '69, Richards and Taylor both took a solo during the same song in '70, and finally Taylor took over lead from then on.

*I may be thinking of 1971 when both guitarists took a solo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-16 13:09 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 16, 2015 13:16

I'm not so sure they cared so much about exactly what albums they were promoting in those days. They released new stuff so frequently and they toured so often it wasn't so obvious that one tour was to promote one album, like it was in say 1972 or 1981. Of course they wanted to sell records, and they wanted to play their most popular songs, but this was also a quite creative and progressive period for the Stones where they played songs they liked and thought would induce some magic on stage.

I may be wrong -- maybe they were more calculated than I think. But my belief is that the dynamics of the live show, they band's performance and the audience's reaction had higher priority than what album was current.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 16, 2015 15:28

Eleanor Rigby
There's a pic backstage at Altamont of an acoustic guitar...but I guess that could have been with the band for a casual strum...maybe not.
It is possible the same usual set was planned that morning, but changed as they hit the stage.

Yeah the Gimme Shelter selection may have been due to let It Bleed being release to the US that day?

Date: February 16, 2015 15:37

Thanks 2000...thats the one...classic pic also!

note also Wyman in this pic.
As he was late to the show I reckon this is very close to the band going on stage...
maybe the acoustic songs were simply dropped during the set...rather than pre-planned....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-16 15:52 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: February 16, 2015 18:31

JJHMick
GasLightStreet

Four out of nine songs in Altamont is more than they do today... And if you add Honky Tonk Women/Country Honk it's even more.

I've never read anything about the 1969 tour being about anything else other than promoting LET IT BLEED even though they didn't finish recording it until the end of October! And they rehearsed for the tour a couple days later with the tour starting a week later. TTPD came out in September so that makes sense - but were they actually promoting it?

Obviously Honky Tonk Women would've gone on LET IT BLEED but since it's not... you can't count it!

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: February 16, 2015 18:42

Wasn't Under my thumb on Got Live if You Want It?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 16, 2015 19:08

GasLightStreet
JJHMick
GasLightStreet

I've never read anything about the 1969 tour being about anything else other than promoting LET IT BLEED even though they didn't finish recording it until the end of October! And they rehearsed for the tour a couple days later with the tour starting a week later. TTPD came out in September so that makes sense - but were they actually promoting it?

Obviously Honky Tonk Women would've gone on LET IT BLEED but since it's not... you can't count it!

Kind of hard to promote a record that hasn't been released yet. peace

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: February 16, 2015 19:41

Bob C.
Wasn't Under my thumb on Got Live if You Want It?

Always loved this live/fake album. Pure energy...

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 16, 2015 19:49

TravelinMan
It would be interesting to hear the metamorphosis of Gimme Shelter from '69-'72 back to back. If I can recall, Richards played lead in '69, Richards and Taylor both took a solo during the same song in '70, and finally Taylor took over lead from then on.

*I may be thinking of 1971 when both guitarists took a solo.

The version of Gimme Shelter I'm referring to is from Malmo, Sweden (Secrets Travel Fast) in 1970 where there are two Richards solos, a Bobby Keys solo, and a Taylor solo. It's cool to hear Taylor as he is starting to formulate some of those ideas he employs later on.

The order is:
Richards->Keys->Taylor->Richards

I don't think it was performed in 1971.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-16 19:49 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: February 17, 2015 06:47

DELETE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-17 06:52 by slakka.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: February 17, 2015 06:49

2000 LYFH
Eleanor Rigby

WHOS THE PRETTY LADY NEXT TO CHARLIE? BE A GREAT SWISS INTERVIEW!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-17 06:54 by slakka.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: February 17, 2015 13:24

2000 LYFH
Eleanor Rigby

There"s two Mick Jagger"s in the photo, or am i just drinking to muchdrinking smiley

Date: February 17, 2015 16:38

To add further, Stanley Booth states in his book that he was one of the first people on stage...he took Keith's acoustic guitar!
To quote his exact words "I was the first on stage because keith asked me to take his acoustic guitar".
So from that you'd think the typical acoustic songs were intended on being performed!

Date: February 17, 2015 16:39

Eleanor Rigby
To add further, Stanley Booth states in his book that he was one of the first people on stage...he took Keith's acoustic guitar!
To quote his exact words "I was the first on stage because keith asked me to take his acoustic guitar".
So from that you'd think the typical acoustic songs were intended on being performed!

Good point. They probably laid that idea to rest the minute they caught the vibe...

Date: February 18, 2015 17:41

Naturalust
GasLightStreet
JJHMick
GasLightStreet

Kind of hard to promote a record that hasn't been released yet.

I depends, I'd reckon. Did Mick ever say anything about the album? Can still promote something without it being released. The first show of the STEEL WHEELS tour was before the LP was released and they played 3 songs from the LP.

On BRIDGES they did two shows before that LP came out (and did only 2 songs from the LP).

6 shows on the BANG tour before that LP was released.

Date: February 18, 2015 18:49

In case of Bridges and Bang the singles had already been out and press conferences and 'secret' gigs made everybody know that there was a new long player coming. Seems that this wasn't the case in 1969. So the live versions had to be an appetizer in their own for the new lp.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 18, 2015 20:06

LieB
I'm not so sure they cared so much about exactly what albums they were promoting in those days. They released new stuff so frequently and they toured so often it wasn't so obvious that one tour was to promote one album, like it was in say 1972 or 1981. Of course they wanted to sell records, and they wanted to play their most popular songs, but this was also a quite creative and progressive period for the Stones where they played songs they liked and thought would induce some magic on stage.

I may be wrong -- maybe they were more calculated than I think. But my belief is that the dynamics of the live show, they band's performance and the audience's reaction had higher priority than what album was current.

Interesting point but I think album sales were definitely first on everyone's mind and agenda back then. Considering they actually made little profit on tours compared to record sales, they were in friendly competition with their musical peers and their lifestyles were getting expensive... the record sales and money from them was the mark of success at that time.

It's nice to think that their priorities were based around audience reception and the live shows but I think it would be years before that became as important as record sales. Touring did seem a bit more important for the Stones, they were making the model for concert tours, but the general model at the time was that it was just a way to promote the records and the band's name. Keith talks about the write, record, tour mechanics of the business. peace

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home