Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 17, 2015 18:16

Yeah, let them have a big fancy celebration for their 50th. They will have a complete blast, fans will love it, and with Trey they'll bring in the younger generation Fishheads/Deadheads, and everybody will just have fun. That is what it is all about.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 17, 2015 18:19

DoctorFreddie
Im not into Grateful dead I need help. Where do i start?. What is their best Albums/songs?

Google Grateful Dead and click on video and listen. Here I'll help you make your first step and from there it's up to you:

[www.google.com]

Date: January 17, 2015 20:06

DoctorFreddie
Im not into Grateful dead I need help. Where do i start?. What is their best Albums/songs?

american beauty or working mans dead. very beggars banquet style music. americana. if you like those i'd say the live stuff from the 1970-1973 period.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 17, 2015 20:36

keefriffhard4life
DoctorFreddie

american beauty or working mans dead. very beggars banquet style music. americana. if you like those i'd say the live stuff from the 1970-1973 period.

Musically I agree, but obviously the Dead became more of a cultural phenomenon because of their fans and open and improvisational approach to each live show. I think it's impossible totally understand or "get" them until you see them live, and without Jerry it's just not possible anymore, imo.

Europe 1972 is the best bet to capture the magic that was once there. Maybe playing that record on your ipod while wandering the upcoming show in Chicago would be as close as you can get theses days..smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 17, 2015 20:56

tatters
stonehearted

Why shouldn't they reunite? They've got four surviving original members, which is more than any other well-known sixties group that I can think of.

Agreed. If I was any sort of Grateful Dead fan I'm sure I'd be very excited about this.

The four main guys have been playing together since Jerry died in 1995 in one form or another. As - "The Dead" or "The Other Ones", so I believe the only real news here is it's their 50th and they decided to call it "The Grateful Dead" this time, but its not like haven't done anything together in 20 years.

Long live the Dead!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:04

2000 LYFH
tatters
stonehearted

Why shouldn't they reunite? They've got four surviving original members, which is more than any other well-known sixties group that I can think of.

Agreed. If I was any sort of Grateful Dead fan I'm sure I'd be very excited about this.

The four main guys have been playing together since Jerry died in 1995 in one form or another. As - "The Dead" or "The Other Ones", so I believe the only real news here is it's their 50th and they decided to call it "The Grateful Dead" this time, but its not like haven't done anything together in 20 years.

Long live the Dead!

Yes, but the four of them being onstage together has still been a relatively rare thing in the past 20 years, hasn't it? I think they only did the one tour together as "The Dead." Plus there's the added incentive of it being their very last shows together. I have to admit, I'm a little tempted to try for tickets, though as someone who has only ever attended one Grateful Dead concert (in 1979), I would be there purely as a tourist. Better if some hardcore, die-hard fan gets my ticket instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-17 21:07 by tatters.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:11

Love the Dead always have but this is no big deal to me. Phil and Bob Weir play together often and like mentioned before Phil Lesh has done some great projects that get very little hype.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:15

I did a quick red-carpet interview with Bob Weir a few years ago. I told him, "Hey! We share the same birthday, Oct. 16." He looked at me weird. Then I said, "Glad to see you recovered from your recent ill health." He looked at me weird, again. I later realized it was the other guy, Mickey Hart.

Date: January 17, 2015 21:27

DeanGoodman
I did a quick red-carpet interview with Bob Weir a few years ago.

Somehow red-carpet and Bob Weir seem to clash in my brain. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 17, 2015 21:49

The Dead at the Virginia Beach Amphitheater, Virginia Beach, Virginia on June 17, 2003

Bob Weir – guitar, vocals
Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Mickey Hart – drums, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Jimmy Herring – guitar
Jeff Chimenti – keyboards, vocals
Rob Barraco – keyboards, vocals
Joan Osborne – vocals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-17 21:50 by 2000 LYFH.

Date: January 18, 2015 01:01

mccparty
Three shows, this July....in Chicago. Why Chicago????

[blog.sfgate.com]

Soldier Field, in Chicago, is the location of the last show the Grateful Dead played before Jerry Garcia died.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 18, 2015 01:35

An informative history documenting the joint activities of the four surviving original Grateful Dead members since 1995.

After the death of Jerry Garcia in 1995, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann formed a band called The Other Ones. They performed concert tours in 1998 (without Kreutzmann), 2000 (without Lesh), and 2002, and released one album, The Strange Remain. In 2003, they changed their name to The Dead.

In addition to Weir, Lesh, Hart and Kreutzmann, the 2003 lineup of the band included Jimmy Herring, Jeff Chimenti, Rob Barraco, and Joan Osborne. The band was first officially billed as The Dead on February 14, 2003 at the Warfield in San Francisco. Later that year, the band opened up their summer tour on June 15 at the Bonnaroo Music Festival. They ended 2003 with two New Year's dates at the Oakland Coliseum on December 30 and 31.

In 2004, Herring and Chimenti remained in the lineup, and were joined by Warren Haynes. The band played a brief winter jam and a three-month summer tour called the Wave That Flag Tour. In 2006, guitarist Jimmy Herring joined the group Widespread Panic after George McConnell's departure from the group.

On February 4, 2008, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, and Mickey Hart, along with several other musicians, performed a concert called "Deadheads for Obama", at the Warfield in San Francisco. On October 13, 2008, Weir, Lesh, Hart and Kreutzmann, joined by Warren Haynes and Jeff Chimenti, played a second show for the Obama campaign, called "Change Rocks", at Penn State University. On January 20, 2009, the same lineup played at one of the ten official balls for the inauguration of President Obama.

The band toured the United States in the spring of 2009, playing 23 concerts in April and May, with a lineup of Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, Bill Kreutzmann, Mickey Hart, Warren Haynes, and Jeff Chimenti. During the second night of the Spring 2009 tour, they were joined on stage by Tipper Gore who sat in on drums during the closing song, "Sugar Magnolia". They also headlined the second annual Rothbury Music Festival in Rothbury, Michigan on July 4, 2009.

Since the Dead tour Bob Weir and Phil Lesh have been performing together with their new band Furthur.

Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Bruce Hornsby – keyboards, vocals
Mark Karan – guitar, vocals
Steve Kimock – guitar
John Molo – drums
Dave Ellis – saxophone, vocals

Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Bruce Hornsby – keyboards, vocals
Mark Karan – guitar, vocals
Steve Kimock – guitar
Alphonso Johnson – bass

Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Jimmy Herring – guitar
Susan Tedeschi – vocals

Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Jimmy Herring – guitar
Joan Osborne – vocals

Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Jimmy Herring – guitar
Warren Haynes – guitar, vocals

Phil Lesh – bass, vocals
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Warren Haynes – guitar, vocals

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 01:42 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 18, 2015 05:23

dcba
NICOS
There must be a Jerry lookalike somewhere on the PLANET to make this work confused smiley

Any bearded unwashed toothless bum from the street will do. grinning smiley

This guy might be available. thumbs up

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 18, 2015 07:03

Hairball

...gotta love cousin It! grinning smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 18, 2015 07:25

BluzDude
Hairball

...gotta love cousin It! grinning smiley

Thing could do it as well:

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 18, 2015 09:21

treaclefingers
24FPS
triceratops
BluzDude
Oh god....awful news, now I will never hear the end of this from my dead-head friends.

The US economy is bubbly so I bet they got some irresistible money offered to reunite. If these gigs go OK expect more.

What will be interesting is how many original members show up and how side men are used to make them sound decent. You cannot charge big money these days and sound like crap.

Really? The Stones do it.

No, I really do. For the money they charge, for a band that is on its last wisps of credibility, yeah.

c'mon...you don't mean that.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 18, 2015 09:41

Remember, Altamont was Jerry Garcia's fault. "I know these really cool biker dudes who will do security for free beer...".grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 09:42 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 19, 2015 08:41

NICOS
There must be a Jerry lookalike somewhere on the PLANET to make this work confused smiley
It would be the same as a Re-Unite of the Stones without Mick

It happens all the time...Faces without Rod grumble grumble...

Posted by: Jesse1960 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:10

crholmstrom
Remember, Altamont was Jerry Garcia's fault. "I know these really cool biker dudes who will do security for free beer...".grinning smiley

No. Another uninformed human unit. It was Rock Scully and Johnny Bindon (Stones bodyguard and later Led Zeppelin hard man) who thought up, and arranged the Angels working Altamont. And the Angels were coming to the show anyway. The hope was that by "inviting them" to keep people off the stage, things would be cool. Wasn't the Grateful Deads fault the Stones organization's bad karma came back and kicked them in the ass. Ronnie "Bemused" Schnieder can explain the dealings with Filmways, and the flippant attitude with Bill Graham anyway he wants to spin it. Bottom line is the Altamont debacle is on the Stones management heads.

Posted by: switchblade1975 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 22:56

hi all I saw the grateful dead many times,when I was not seeing the stones,also there was no stones from 81 tell 89, but I am NOT going to see the dead, it would be like seeing the stones and no keith

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 19, 2015 23:30

Jesse1960
crholmstrom

No. Another uninformed human unit. It was Rock Scully and Johnny Bindon (Stones bodyguard and later Led Zeppelin hard man) who thought up, and arranged the Angels working Altamont. And the Angels were coming to the show anyway. The hope was that by "inviting them" to keep people off the stage, things would be cool. Wasn't the Grateful Deads fault the Stones organization's bad karma came back and kicked them in the ass. Ronnie "Bemused" Schnieder can explain the dealings with Filmways, and the flippant attitude with Bill Graham anyway he wants to spin it. Bottom line is the Altamont debacle is on the Stones management heads.

The real bottom line would include the angels themselves….if they had heads to
begin with.

Date: January 19, 2015 23:50

MKjan
Jesse1960
crholmstrom

The real bottom line would include the angels themselves….if they had heads to
begin with.

I think blame is probably pointless at this point. But between Rock Scully and Sam Cutler I think there was a bit of a lapse of judgement. In the end, the violence is the fault of the violent.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 01:14 by Naturalust.

Date: January 20, 2015 06:08

the grateful dead actually aren't reuniting. if you read its says its a celebration of the grateful dead titled fare thee well

Date: January 20, 2015 06:29

keefriffhard4life
the grateful dead actually aren't reuniting. if you read its says its a celebration of the grateful dead titled fare thee well

Sounds like they're reuniting to me.

The Grateful Dead will live again.

>DEAD

To celebrate its 50th anniversary, the surviving members of the band — guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh and percussionists Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann —announced on Friday morning that they will reunite for a run of three concerts at Chicago’s Soldier Field from July 3 to 5. Then the Dead will say farewell forever.

“That’s what we’re saying,” said Hart.

And then there's Lesh's quote:

“It is with respect and gratitude that we reconvene the Dead one last time to celebrate,” said Lesh.
“Not merely the band’s legacy, but also the community that we’ve been playing to, and with, for 50 years.

>DEAD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just looked up tickets - they're billing themselves as The Grateful Dead:

>Grateful Dead tix

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 06:34 by Hairball.

Date: January 20, 2015 07:48

I was initially disappointed that they would bill themselves as The Grateful Dead, but then I thought about it and realized Jerry would be smiling and encouraging them to do just that.

I can just hear him in his nasal drawl...."I'm not the Grateful Dead, never was, those guys are just as Dead as me". grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: January 20, 2015 08:18

Regarding the 50th... "Believe it if you need it, if you don't, just pass it on"...

Chicago would be fun I'm sure, but I personally don't like the scent of the "this is the last time we will play together" angle of this. I'm a bit of a dead fan... been to over 50 shows back in the day... but I'm saving my money for the Stones (fingers crossed) in June.

That being said, I really hope that the band is smoking in Chicago (and that there is a good internet stream for those who didn't make the trip).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 08:23 by goinhome.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 20, 2015 13:58

no Jerry Garcia ,no grateful dead .end of story

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 20, 2015 14:12

Jesse1960
crholmstrom

Again, to quote Heath Ledger as the Joker: "Why so serious?". I was kidding!tongue sticking out smiley

Date: January 20, 2015 16:48

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

>DEAD

To celebrate its 50th anniversary, the surviving members of the band — guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh and percussionists Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann —announced on Friday morning that they will reunite for a run of three concerts at Chicago’s Soldier Field from July 3 to 5. Then the Dead will say farewell forever.

“It is with respect and gratitude that we reconvene the Dead one last time to celebrate,” said Lesh.
“Not merely the band’s legacy, but also the community that we’ve been playing to, and with, for 50 years.

>DEAD

>Grateful Dead tix

TheGreek
no Jerry Garcia ,no grateful dead .end of story

On that final note, and realizing I didn't state my opinion regarding a "reunion" in my post above (even though they call themselves "The Grateful Dead" ), I agree 100%.
With that said, I'm sure there will be a massive upsurge of LSD use in the Chicago area during the 4th of July weekend.

"What a long strange trip it's been..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 16:50 by Hairball.

Date: January 20, 2015 18:10

Hairball
keefriffhard4life

>DEAD

>DEAD

>Grateful Dead tix

i wouldn't use ticketmaster as a source. i've seen them list solo artists as bands, for instance i've seen them list stephen pearcy as ratt when he wasn't in ratt for almost a decade. if you look at the poster it sure doesn't make mention that this band is calling themselves the grateful dead because it says featuring at the bottom and then lists when is playing

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1186
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home