Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: They went to discotheques…
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: August 11, 2015 15:22

Yeah, that`s what they did, The Stones, Zeppelin and Deep Purple, as the 70s unfolded. It changed their music. They became more funky, less bluesy. I`ve always noted it with regret. I could hear this change in popular music in 1974 when listening to Radio Luxembourg.

Re: OT: They went to discotheques…
Date: August 11, 2015 15:26

You could hear it on Heartbreaker already winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2015 15:50

music evolved and they evolved with it. some was good and some not so good, but I don't have a problem with it at all.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 11, 2015 15:53

noughties
Yeah, that`s what they did, The Stones, Zeppelin and Deep Purple, as the 70s unfolded. It changed their music. They became more funky, less bluesy. I`ve always noted it with regret. I could hear this change in popular music in 1974 when listening to Radio Luxembourg.

Me, too ...

Date: August 11, 2015 15:55

RobertJohnson
noughties

Me, too ...

Even Fingerprint File? winking smiley

Date: August 11, 2015 15:59

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
noughties

Me, too ...

Even Fingerprint File? winking smiley

Nooooooooooo, I'm relating the "I`ve always noted it with regret" to the disco abyss like Miss You and Emotional Rescue, not to funky elements.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:01

Yes, music started getting a bit iffy in 1974.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:23

No regrets here, I love the funk...though I could do without Mick's pants. Actually the whole outfit could go. cool smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:30

latebloomer
No regrets here, I love the funk...though I could do without Mick's pants. Actually the whole outfit could go. cool smiley

[www.youtube.com]

just a momentita, not so fast.

Date: August 11, 2015 16:38

treaclefingers
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

por qué?

Date: August 11, 2015 16:39

treaclefingers
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, Ronnie's Hey Negrita is one of the most convincing efforts on Black and Blue besides Wayne Perkins' Hand of Fate.

Date: August 11, 2015 16:41

RobertJohnson
treaclefingers
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

Yes, Ronnie's Hey Negrita is one of the most convincing efforts on Black and Blue besides Wayne Perkins' Hand of Fate.

That calls for an explanation?

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 11, 2015 16:44

Certainly a song like 'Luxury' (which is upbeat) and also their version of 'Ain't too proud to beg' (also upbeat especially during chorus and fade out) indicates the Stones at least were paying attention to international record scene.

On Black and Blue, there's 'Hot Stuff' but not sure if that would be considered disco or funk. 'Dancing with Mr. D' though slow has rhythmic beat that sounds a bit like early disco.

Date: August 11, 2015 16:50

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
treaclefingers
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

"Hand of Fate" - the track on which Wayne Perkins plays a brilliant solo. I didn't want to distribute the credits anew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-11 16:51 by RobertJohnson.

Date: August 11, 2015 17:03

RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
treaclefingers
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

"Hand of Fate" - the track on which Wayne Perkins plays a brilliant solo. I didn't want to distribute the credits anew.

Just pulling your leg, mate smiling smiley

Date: August 11, 2015 17:11

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson
treaclefingers
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

Just pulling your leg, mate smiling smiley

Oh, then I'm feeling relieved ... otherwise I have my legs turn to jelly ...smiling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 11, 2015 17:13

I love the funk too! Give me the Stones in the 70's, early AND late, I'll take it mate.

And Jagger picked up a few good moves...

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 11, 2015 17:21

Yep, Lou Reed did Sally Can't Dance, (74), Bowie did Young Americans, (75), and the Stones did Black-n-Blue, (76). I love all those albums.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 11, 2015 17:38

One of the better things that happened to the Stones. It provided the last gasp of creativity that ended after Undercover.

Date: August 11, 2015 17:41

StonesCat
One of the better things that happened to the Stones. It provided the last gasp of creativity that ended after Undercover.

Not my favourite album by a mile, but wouldn't you say they tried different things on B2B?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 11, 2015 17:56

I'm a huge fan of funky rock, but some of these artists, like the Stones, were going a bit downhill overall at the same time as they got into the funk.

Some songs are absolutely brilliant, like Trampled Under Foot by Led Zeppelin, or Last Child by Aerosmith; others are pretty mediocre, like Fingerprint File and Hot Stuff.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 11, 2015 17:57

His Majesty
Yes, music started getting a bit iffy in 1974.

Hahaha...Bing-Crosby-fans said the same when Frank Sinatra appeared and Sinatra-fans told the same when they saw Elvis... music changes, that´s the natural way things go.

I love the Stones playing funky stuff, even compiled a CDR with that kind of songs, from Fingerprint File down to Rain Fall Down... even included Emotional Rescue & Miss You.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 11, 2015 21:53

latebloomer
I love the funk...though I could do without Mick's pants. Actually the whole outfit could go. cool smiley

you mean something along these lines:

without the outfit

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 12, 2015 02:12

Mick said (I think in "25x5" ) that some were scandalized by the disco four-by-four bass drum in MISS YOU (four bass-drum beats to the bar). Which was revived for the intro to DON'T STOP. I love both songs, so what rigid whiners.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 12, 2015 02:28

Everything under the sun has its time. The Stones were pretty much done when disco music broke through. They managed to survive it though. And any other trends since then.
Do notice though that still their reportoire is about 80% pre-disco.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-12 02:31 by Stoneage.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 12, 2015 02:32

latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

Lol he looks like a Miami Dolphin Cheerleader...

Date: August 12, 2015 02:35

umakmehrd
latebloomer

[www.youtube.com]

Lol he looks like a Miami Dolphin Cheerleader...

A few years later he graduated to the football team.grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2195
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home