Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:40

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
the grateful dead actually aren't reuniting. if you read its says its a celebration of the grateful dead titled fare thee well

Sounds like they're reuniting to me.

The Grateful Dead will live again.

>DEAD

To celebrate its 50th anniversary, the surviving members of the band — guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh and percussionists Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann —announced on Friday morning that they will reunite for a run of three concerts at Chicago’s Soldier Field from July 3 to 5. Then the Dead will say farewell forever.

“That’s what we’re saying,” said Hart.

And then there's Lesh's quote:

“It is with respect and gratitude that we reconvene the Dead one last time to celebrate,” said Lesh.
“Not merely the band’s legacy, but also the community that we’ve been playing to, and with, for 50 years.

>DEAD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just looked up tickets - they're billing themselves as The Grateful Dead:

>Grateful Dead tix

i wouldn't use ticketmaster as a source. i've seen them list solo artists as bands, for instance i've seen them list stephen pearcy as ratt when he wasn't in ratt for almost a decade. if you look at the poster it sure doesn't make mention that this band is calling themselves the grateful dead because it says featuring at the bottom and then lists when is playing

I was using ticketmaster as only one source, along with quotes from the band members themselves!
And what poster are you referring to? The one I see has "Grateful Dead" in bold letters, and there is no mention of "featuring" as you say.

Not here to argue, just pointing out the facts that have been presented.
Perhaps you don't see it that way - or maybe don't want to see it that way.
Whatever the case, I've already said it can't be a true Grateful Dead reunion without Jerry Garcia (even though that's what they are billing it as).

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:43

Tate
Yeah, let them have a big fancy celebration for their 50th. They will have a complete blast, fans will love it, and with Trey they'll bring in the younger generation Fishheads/Deadheads, and everybody will just have fun. That is what it is all about.

Indeed. I always marvel at people who take rock and roll so damned seriously.

I sent in my ticket order already this morning for two of the the three shows and have my hotel rooms booked. Like the Stones, the Dead in Chicago are a no brainer.

For those who wonder, "Why Chicago?" it is centrally located in the middle of the country and long been a hospitable Dead stronghold. Lesh vowed last year he's too old for the touring grind and resolved only to play for Peter Shapiro on the east coast a couple times a year and in his own venue in California. "Point-of-destination" shows had been rumored for each coast entailing more shows in arenas. Soldier Field can hold 80,000 Deadheads x three nights so everybody who wants to is going to get in. The band members, particularly Kreutzmann apparently, can make peace with one another and roll for three days thereafter to go their separate ways forever. Lesh's promoter, Shapiro, is part of the presentation. So is AXS (for ticketing) who also have an entertainment oriented cable network here in the States. I'm guessing they'll carry each show, in whole or part, perhaps live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-20 18:46 by rbk.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: January 20, 2015 18:53

@#$%& Reacts To The Last Grateful Dead Shows in Chicago:
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 20, 2015 19:05

rbk
Tate
Yeah, let them have a big fancy celebration for their 50th. They will have a complete blast, fans will love it, and with Trey they'll bring in the younger generation Fishheads/Deadheads, and everybody will just have fun. That is what it is all about.

I sent in my ticket order already this morning for two of the the three shows and have my hotel rooms booked. Like the Stones, the Dead in Chicago are a no brainer.

For those who wonder, "Why Chicago?" it is centrally located in the middle of the country and long been a hospitable Dead stronghold. Lesh vowed last year he's too old for the touring grind and resolved only to play for Peter Shapiro on the east coast a couple times a year and in his own venue in California. "Point-of-destination" shows had been rumored for each coast entailing more shows in arenas. Soldier Field can hold 80,000 Deadheads x three nights so everybody who wants to is going to get in. The band members, particularly Kreutzmann apparently, can make peace with one another and roll for three days thereafter to go their separate ways forever. Lesh's promoter, Shapiro, is part of the presentation. So is AXS (for ticketing) who also have an entertainment oriented cable network here in the States. I'm guessing they'll carry each show, in whole or part, perhaps live.

Two shows? What if the third show has Branford or that's the Dark Star show??!!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 20, 2015 19:13

rbk
Tate

They should wrap up this tour with a free concert at Golden Gate Park and if not available then Sears Point raceway!smoking smiley

Date: January 20, 2015 23:35

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
the grateful dead actually aren't reuniting. if you read its says its a celebration of the grateful dead titled fare thee well

Sounds like they're reuniting to me.

The Grateful Dead will live again.

>DEAD

To celebrate its 50th anniversary, the surviving members of the band — guitarist Bob Weir, bassist Phil Lesh and percussionists Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann —announced on Friday morning that they will reunite for a run of three concerts at Chicago’s Soldier Field from July 3 to 5. Then the Dead will say farewell forever.

“That’s what we’re saying,” said Hart.

And then there's Lesh's quote:

“It is with respect and gratitude that we reconvene the Dead one last time to celebrate,” said Lesh.
“Not merely the band’s legacy, but also the community that we’ve been playing to, and with, for 50 years.

>DEAD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And just looked up tickets - they're billing themselves as The Grateful Dead:

>Grateful Dead tix

i wouldn't use ticketmaster as a source. i've seen them list solo artists as bands, for instance i've seen them list stephen pearcy as ratt when he wasn't in ratt for almost a decade. if you look at the poster it sure doesn't make mention that this band is calling themselves the grateful dead because it says featuring at the bottom and then lists when is playing

I was using ticketmaster as only one source, along with quotes from the band members themselves!
And what poster are you referring to? The one I see has "Grateful Dead" in bold letters, and there is no mention of "featuring" as you say.

Not here to argue, just pointing out the facts that have been presented.
Perhaps you don't see it that way - or maybe don't want to see it that way.
Whatever the case, I've already said it can't be a true Grateful Dead reunion without Jerry Garcia (even though that's what they are billing it as).

yes thats the one. See the names listed at the bottom? Notice the poster actually says celebrating 50 years of the grateful dead

Date: January 20, 2015 23:53

I understand and acknowledge your interpretation of the situation keefriffhard4life,
but one thing's certain - I probably won't be going to see the Grateful Dead on their upcoming reunion tour!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: January 21, 2015 06:52

from Billboard:

The Dead’s last performance with Jerry Garcia, who died in August 1995, was at the same 55,000-seat capacity venue on July 9, 1995.

The sense of closure is no accident: These shows are likely to be the finale for the “core four,” as the surviving members are now known: Bob Weir, 67; Phil Lesh, 74; Mickey Hart, 71; and Bill Kreutzmann, 68.

“These will be the last shows with the four of us together,” Weir tells Billboard.

Sure sounds like the definitive end, the 50th anniversary of the band, the 20th anniversary of their last gig with Garcia at the same venue, and a Gather-Ye-Deadheads one more time all rolled into one. Jimmy Herring (sp?) might have been a musically warmer choice than Trey; no need to pull in the Phish generation too if this is the last hurrah.

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 21, 2015 16:15

Maindefender
rbk
Tate

Two shows? What if the third show has Branford or that's the Dark Star show??!!

It will be the cross I shall have to bear.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: January 21, 2015 16:41

winter
from Billboard:

The Dead’s last performance with Jerry Garcia, who died in August 1995, was at the same 55,000-seat capacity venue on July 9, 1995.

The sense of closure is no accident: These shows are likely to be the finale for the “core four,” as the surviving members are now known: Bob Weir, 67; Phil Lesh, 74; Mickey Hart, 71; and Bill Kreutzmann, 68.

“These will be the last shows with the four of us together,” Weir tells Billboard.

Sure sounds like the definitive end, the 50th anniversary of the band, the 20th anniversary of their last gig with Garcia at the same venue, and a Gather-Ye-Deadheads one more time all rolled into one. Jimmy Herring (sp?) might have been a musically warmer choice than Trey; no need to pull in the Phish generation too if this is the last hurrah.

The definitive end of what? Using the Grateful Dead name or these 4 guys (or a sub-set) touring together? I'm sure they will be back together some time, who knows maybe as "The Dead" or even "The Other Ones"! Maybe they will think up a new name....

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 21, 2015 17:40

I was tempted at first to head for Chicago. Personally I've see The Grateful Dead play at least 50 times. It was a wonderful experience. Back in the day a show was 98% about Jerry. That is not to say the band wasn't wonderful but Garcia's presence was the focus. I'm happy for the younger folks that never experienced a "show" that they can get a glimpse of the phenomina but I will pass. Trey is a great choice, the slot deserves the star power and inventiveness he has to offer. Haynes never put the work in to master the tunes in past incarnations and Herring is not a strong soloist. Along with Bruce Hornsby this will be a strong line-up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-21 17:41 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 21, 2015 21:43

trey is lame

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 21, 2015 22:19

yes, he is

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 21, 2015 23:47

Whew. I was at the post office yesterday, and the line was out the door. Five or six people in line were there to get money orders. The guy in front of me spent over $3,000, cash. Strange, 'cause the way he was dressed, it looked he didn't have two cents to rub together.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 22, 2015 00:03

tomk
Whew. I was at the post office yesterday, and the line was out the door. Five or six people in line were there to get money orders. The guy in front of me spent over $3,000, cash. Strange, 'cause the way he was dressed, it looked he didn't have two cents to rub together.

And the money orders were for GD tickets? confused smiley

peace

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 22, 2015 01:17

Naturalust
tomk

And the money orders were for GD tickets? confused smiley

peace

Yes. One guy dropped 3 grand, another about 900 bucks.

Posted by: footlooseman ()
Date: January 23, 2015 00:31

Naturalust
MKjan
Jesse1960
crholmstrom
Remember, Altamont was Jerry Garcia's fault. "I know these really cool biker dudes who will do security for free beer...".grinning smiley

No. Another uninformed human unit. It was Rock Scully and Johnny Bindon (Stones bodyguard and later Led Zeppelin hard man) who thought up, and arranged the Angels working Altamont. And the Angels were coming to the show anyway. The hope was that by "inviting them" to keep people off the stage, things would be cool. Wasn't the Grateful Deads fault the Stones organization's bad karma came back and kicked them in the ass. Ronnie "Bemused" Schnieder can explain the dealings with Filmways, and the flippant attitude with Bill Graham anyway he wants to spin it. Bottom line is the Altamont debacle is on the Stones management heads.

The real bottom line would include the angels themselves….if they had heads to
begin with.

I think blame is probably pointless at this point. But between Rock Scully and Sam Cutler I think there was a bit of a lapse of judgement. In the end, the violence is the fault of the violent.

peace

some twenty-somethings had lapses of judgements? lol

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: January 23, 2015 22:45

@#$%& Reacts To Last Grateful Dead Shows...hahafreakingsterical....lol smiling smiley
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTBZuulCoPo

Date: January 24, 2015 07:10

TheGreek
trey is lame
Agreed.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 24, 2015 08:04

The less I say about this the better...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-24 08:12 by 71Tele.

Date: January 24, 2015 08:16

71Tele

LOL. I was wondering when you were going to join this thread. Kudos for showing some restraint. grinning smiley

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 24, 2015 08:19

71Tele
I think they need to sign a binding contract that these will indeed be the last shows and that they are indeed putting this band out of its misery.

I would agree ... to the extent that we are talking about "this band" as it exists in 2015, w/o Jerry Garcia.

I was a long time coming to the Dead. Saw them for the first and only time in 1972 at the H'wood Palladium, only a couple of months after my first Stones show. I was bored outta my mind by the rampant hippiness. (This was just a month or two before I was to be glammed out of my head by my first Bowie show.)

Started listening to them in earnest, though, about three years ago, and have made my way through a slew of classic shows from the 72-77 era. Now regard them as an utterly fascinating band. There's an adage that 25% of every Dead show was unlistenable, 50% was so-so, and 25% transcendent.

I would not presume to place them in the upper echelon of rock royalty. Their songs are just not strong enough to warrant that. But as a live performing unit, they were capable of magic. Just listen to, for example, "Playing in the Band" from Veneta, Oregon, in the summer of '72. You can almost hear when the acid kicks in and Garcia's playing elevates to an astral plane.

Anyway, I'm sure the people going to Chicago will have a great time and spread some good vibes. Heaven knows, the world could use a little extra peace and love right about now!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 24, 2015 08:43

Naturalust
71Tele

LOL. I was wondering when you were going to join this thread. Kudos for showing some restraint. grinning smiley

I'm not there yet but I'm working on it...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 24, 2015 11:02

71Tele

thumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: January 24, 2015 19:51

"I would not presume to place them in the upper echelon of rock royalty."
They were as great a live band as there ever was. Unique in approach to concerts, what The Beatles did in the studio The Grateful Dead were to concerts. AS far as songs I'd disagree as well Garcia, Hunter, Weir's best songs translate well when other artists perform them. I can't imagine songs better than "Brown Eyed Women", "Bertha", "China Doll" and "Truckin'". When The Who toured with The Dead in the 80's they were stupefied by the band. Part of the secret was seeing them up close from time to time, totally mesmerizing Some people never "got it" but that doesn't make them any less great, something as unique as them will elicit strong reactions.

Date: January 24, 2015 20:30

I think what some people don't like about the Dead are the Deadheads and the hippie scene that grew up around the bands live shows. Strangely, the band didn't really relate to them much either by the 1980's. Yes they were the bread and butter and were tolerated as such but in my conversations with Jerry, Bob, and Billy I was sometimes shocked at their almost disdain for the whole scene. They were more like rich spoiled rock stars than hippie gurus.

But as someone once said about the Dead and their music, "They are the best at what they do because they are the only ones who do what they do".

Their appeal is their no rules approach to music. I imagine them like the Stones when they first get into the studio with nothing but ideas which take hours of jamming to work into polished songs. The Dead just kind of stayed in that mode, never really interested in the spit and polish, always searching for the magical moments when it all came together. Some might consider it just a lazy work ethic, the Stones obviously work a bit harder to get a finished product.

The Dead's approach produced just as much noise as it did transcendent music which is why I can't really listen to them much, but I have heard enough of their magical moments to understand and appreciate them.

peace

Date: January 24, 2015 23:26

I believe they were banned from playing the Ventura Fairgrounds sometime in the '80's or early '90's.
The reason was due to the riff-raff hippies that would linger in the town for days and weeks after the shows took place.

I did see Phil Lesh and Bob Dylan play there around '99 (?), and even with that there was a residue of hippiedom lingering before and after the shows.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 25, 2015 03:16

Regardless of what some may think about them, they are a successful and capable band. To deny that is just flat out ignorant. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't discount them as musicians and as an important band in history.

Date: January 25, 2015 05:43

the grateful deads jams really didn't jive with me after about 1974. there was just something missing. pigpen being gone was a huge blow

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 25, 2015 06:43

I was thinking about this the other day. I have been listening to the Dead's "May 1977" box set endlessly for several weeks, and I never get bored. It's not just that they mix up their set-lists, but that the same song can sound very different (jammed out or short and sweet, solos that sound unlike each other night-tonight) on any given performance.

Would we have the same enthusiasm if the Stones released a "December '81 box set? Or we would find that the performances don't really vary that much?

T@3

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home