Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2015 06:52

RollingFreak
Regardless of what some may think about them, they are a successful and capable band. To deny that is just flat out ignorant. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't discount them as musicians and as an important band in history.

I can discount one or two of them as musicians. I don't think anyone is denying that they were successful.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 25, 2015 14:58

71Tele
RollingFreak
Regardless of what some may think about them, they are a successful and capable band. To deny that is just flat out ignorant. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but you can't discount them as musicians and as an important band in history.

I can discount one or two of them as musicians. I don't think anyone is denying that they were successful.

Mickey Hart springs to mind. A drummer who can't keep time.eye popping smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 25, 2015 16:17

crholmstrom
71Tele
RollingFreak

That being said his contributions to world music cannot be under appreciated. And the drum/space segments at Grateful Dead concerts were always to me very solid and interesting!!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 25, 2015 19:58

crholmstrom
71Tele
RollingFreak

I'm thinking of the "other" guitar player.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 26, 2015 02:33

I've tried to be objective about a band I just don't get. But I have had a chance to hear Jerry's guitar work, and pedal steel, without the others and he was a competent musician. I know some very good musicians who love them. So there.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 26, 2015 16:25

Loved their early acoustic stuff, they just rarely play acoustic live; the electric stuff doesn't do much for me.

Seen them 5 times with Garcia, hit and miss...one time after he died as 'The Dead' only because Willie Nelson was opening and playing with them, as well as Joan Osborne, and they also had special guests, former Ratdog sideman and Chuck Berry pianist Johnny Johnson. That made it interesting...

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 26, 2015 18:01

winter
from Billboard:

The Dead’s last performance with Jerry Garcia, who died in August 1995, was at the same 55,000-seat capacity venue on July 9, 1995.

The sense of closure is no accident: These shows are likely to be the finale for the “core four,” as the surviving members are now known: Bob Weir, 67; Phil Lesh, 74; Mickey Hart, 71; and Bill Kreutzmann, 68.

“These will be the last shows with the four of us together,” Weir tells Billboard.

Sure sounds like the definitive end, the 50th anniversary of the band, the 20th anniversary of their last gig with Garcia at the same venue, and a Gather-Ye-Deadheads one more time all rolled into one. Jimmy Herring (sp?) might have been a musically warmer choice than Trey; no need to pull in the Phish generation too if this is the last hurrah.

Smells like the remaining members looking for cash on the barrelhead

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 26, 2015 18:56

he's gone, nothing gonna bring (Captain Trips) him back !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: January 26, 2015 19:32

TheGreek

not even for 15% of the concert revenue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-26 20:29 by reg thorpe.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 26, 2015 21:53

reg thorpe
TheGreek

Jerry was not in it for the money that's for damn sure .it was about the music

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 26, 2015 22:02

TheGreek
reg thorpe
TheGreek

Jerry was not in it for the money that's for damn sure .it was about the music

You're right about that but no doubt his last wife seems to be. She seemed such an unlikely match for Jerry but who is anybody to make judgement on affairs of the heart. peace

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: January 27, 2015 02:56

I happen to be a fan of Garcia's moody playing and the intellect and self-effacing humor he often displayed in interviews. However, I can see why the Dead is not everyone's cup of tea. The music could be downright boring and horrible, let's face it.

That being said, no singer or songwriter, including Dylan, ever wrote a better lyric than "If your cup is full may it be again.''

How many fortunes have been made and then squandered? Hell, the gift money I received for Christmas is already gone.

Also, few have ever improved upon the stunningly beautiful lyrics to "Brokedown Palace.''

Posted by: rbk ()
Date: January 27, 2015 16:45

The note on Dead50.net reads, "Wow! We’re excited (and humbled) to discover that your enthusiasm for Fare Thee Well matches our own! We have received an overwhelming number of mail order ticket requests. In an effort to honor the history and spirit of the Grateful Dead, we are going to try to fill as many of these orders as possible. This means there will be no other pre-sales. In order to give the good folks at GDTS TOO time to sort through the 60,000+ (!) envelopes received so far the new public on sale is Feb 28th @ 10 a.m. CST via Ticketmaster."

Fare Thee Well co-promoter Peter Shapiro's Relix Magazine reveals that the 60,000+ envelopes are "requesting an estimated 350,000+ tickets for the three nights." We knew these shows would be popular with fans, but not to that level.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 27, 2015 16:55

No Jerry No real Dead

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 27, 2015 20:59

rbk

Fare Thee Well co-promoter Peter Shapiro's Relix Magazine reveals that the 60,000+ envelopes are "requesting an estimated 350,000+ tickets for the three nights." We knew these shows would be popular with fans, but not to that level.

Anyone care to bet they'll add more shows?

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: January 27, 2015 21:16

RollingFreak

yep, well said. a good amount of ignorance around, but really no more than the people who mock dylan as a singer. They reveloutionzied concert sound and the concert industry, its not even a debate. Some may not care for their music (although I'd gather a good amount are just ingnorant about it), but as you point out as musicians and as trail blazers there are few that match them. You think ornette coleman, mick taylor, boz, santana and branford just sit in with anyone? "aint gonna learn what you don't want to know" Af far as these one off shows go, its good for people who want to say goodbye. There hasnt been a shortage of shows to see with the remaining members though. This is just nod to all that was the GD.

Posted by: forsure ()
Date: January 27, 2015 21:17

crholmstrom
71Tele
RollingFreak

he was a drummer in the military marching band, I'm sure he can keep time just fine when he wants.

Date: January 27, 2015 21:27

24FPS
rbk

Anyone care to bet they'll add more shows?

Wow, with that kind of demand it sure sounds like a good business decision. And with the next event at Soldier Field not until July 9 they could possibly pull it off. Amazing that they have 350,000+ pre orders for a venue that only holds around 60,000.

But.....three nights in a row is alot of playing for those guys at their age and I imagine there is a risk of diminishing musical returns, especially if they plan to continue the practice of not ever doing the same show. Based on my observations of Bob Weir this past year I'm guessing they won't risk it. They definitely wouldn't have if Jerry was still making decisions but I imagine they are looking pretty hard at the financial incentives.

So I'll take your bet and say no, three shows is all they will do in Chicago but they will be looking hard at a similar event elsewhere. I also predict Dylan will join them for a song or two and other musical guests are waiting in line to join them on stage. peace

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 27, 2015 22:31

forsure
crholmstrom
71Tele
RollingFreak

he was a drummer in the military marching band, I'm sure he can keep time just fine when he wants.

I thought that was Kreutzmann.

Date: January 27, 2015 22:46

crholmstrom
forsure
crholmstrom
71Tele
RollingFreak

I thought that was Kreutzmann.

No it was Mickey Hart, and both him and Billy are more than capable of keeping time. I imagine it wasn't always fun or easy when Jerry tended to slow the tempos down and basically play at that same slow tempo for the whole show. Bruce Hornsby talks about it in several interviews.

Of the two I think Billy is the better traditional drummer while Micky was more into icing the cake and throwing rhythmic curveballs at the band, albiet by choice. peace

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 8, 2015 09:33

Ok Bob Weir showed up on the The Late Late Show for a couple Dead songs. Joining him were John Mayer who was guest-hosting and Jim Keltner on drums. Even though those two added something to the performance it was pretty clear to see and hear why there is no Grateful Dead without Jerry Garcia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-08 09:36 by mighty stork.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 3, 2015 14:27

Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary Show Tickets Being Scalped For Price Of A Small Home (Seriously)

Posted on 3/2/2015 2:29:00 PM by Erica Banas

It was only a matter of time, but Grateful Dead tickets for their 50th anniversary shows at Chicago’s Soldier Field have hit the secondary market, and some of the prices are absolutely ridiculous.

A search for three-day pass tickets for the big July 3-5 celebration on StubHub will yield results that range in prices from $1,250.00 on the low end…TO $116,005.25 FOR GENERAL ADMISSION FLOOR TICKETS!!! Considering that tickets at face value cost between $59.50-$199.50 and the historical significance of these performances, a large markup was expected. But $116K?! COME ON! Talk about a buzzkill!

We really can’t imagine anyone shelling out thousands upon thousands of dollars for these Dead tickets, but since the shows have been officially declared sold out per Billboard.com, who knows how much Deadheads will be willing to fork over.

There is some promising news for those Deadheads who just can’t make it to Soldier Field: The festivities could be made available via a pay-per-view feed, so stay tuned…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-03 14:28 by tatters.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: March 3, 2015 14:57

Love the Dead.

Any Stones fan should be able to find some common ground. I was listening to Promised Land last night. Weir's vocals are great & Garcia has some nice guitar licks as well as back up vocals. I recall an interesting Dead version of Satifaction from JFK. There are loads of others & I can understand how some of the more far out suff (space) may not appeal to everyone but both camps could probablyl learn from each other. Certainly I would like to see the Stones get ticket prices down/keep them out of the secondary market & play some smaller venues.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 3, 2015 16:11

Please don't forget the early Grateful Dead years('67 - '69). I especially love '68, the band played full steam ahead!! And Pigpen could sing the blues and play the harp. '72 thru '74 pretty damn good also

Date: March 3, 2015 20:00

chrism13
Love the Dead.

Any Stones fan should be able to find some common ground. I was listening to Promised Land last night. Weir's vocals are great & Garcia has some nice guitar licks as well as back up vocals. I recall an interesting Dead version of Satifaction from JFK. There are loads of others & I can understand how some of the more far out suff (space) may not appeal to everyone but both camps could probablyl learn from each other. Certainly I would like to see the Stones get ticket prices down/keep them out of the secondary market & play some smaller venues.

Jerry said the Dead played lots of Stones covers in the early formation days. They were obviously fans. I'm wondering what special musical guests we might see for these shows. The Dead have lots of fans and friends in the musical community and I think Weir needs all the help he can get these days. peace

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 3, 2015 20:52

I'm a 41-year-old Gen Xer who grew up listening to baby boomer music 20+ plus years before my time. The Stones and The Dead were both HUGE influences on me.

I wanted to check one of the shows out, I had a road trip in it's planning stages with three others. I was told that tickets would go on sale Feb. 28th and the price wasn't going to be over $200.

I had no chance in hell of getting a ticket, minutes after not being able to get online to get any they were gone.

Now we've got the secondary market flooded with ridiculously inflated prices. Parking passes are going for $250.

There are two reasons why this is happening. Boomer Hype and Boomer greed. The richest, most spoiled generation (past, present, and likely ever again). On the 50th Anniversary of The Dead I say a big "#$%& you" to the whole farce.

Very much how three years ago I said "#$%& you" to another band on their 50th Anniversary (no, it wasn't The Beach Boys). I don't no if it's more ridiculous or simply more disgusting.

I'll be enjoying lots of live music this summer, as I always do. There's plenty of it happening without having to be part of this geriatric clusterf$%&.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: March 3, 2015 21:00

dead guys have that weird floppy pulse..one can see it in the right arm of wier above versus mayer...dead style guitar players don't damp or play chord partials enough and instead strum through the whole chords every time.. that is in part why their Chuck Berry type stuff sucks ass.

gimme bill charlie n keith or Sly n Family Stone of James Brown any day

I love a solid pulse and the Dead do not play that way.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 3, 2015 21:04

dadrob
dead guys have that weird floppy pulse..one can see it in the right arm of wier above versus mayer...dead style guitar players don't damp or play chord partials enough and instead strum through the whole chords every time.. that is in part why their Chuck Berry type stuff sucks ass.

gimme bill charlie n keith or Sly n Family Stone of James Brown any day

I love a solid pulse and the Dead do not play that way.

Nice to see you don't over-generalize.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 3, 2015 21:24

Ian McLagan wrote in his book that he was invited to join the Grateful Dean but he turned it down, even though it would have meant a lot of money, because he just didn't get the music...

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 3, 2015 22:27

roundnround
Ian McLagan wrote in his book that he was invited to join the Grateful Dean but he turned it down, even though it would have meant a lot of money, because he just didn't get the music...

That's fine, glad a lot of other keyboard players got it, one being the great Keith Godchaux from 1972 - 1979. Great playin on 'Europe 72'.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home