Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Rotterdam Sessions 1975
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 15, 2015 14:01

Mathijs
I just can't stand Jeff Beck. I can't stand his sound, his never ending wobbling on the tremelo bar, that horrible jazz/hardrock bullshit, and he always has that terrible band behind him. I know he is considered one of the greatest by many, many guitarists, but I can't stand him.

Don't like Jimmy Page neither.

Mathijs

Hahaha... I was waiting this announcement to come...winking smiley

That said, I'm not particular fan of Beck either. Just not my cup of tea, even though I do recognize his talent and status/importance in a rock guitar history. A bit like 'problem' I have with the Beatles and Lennon/McCartney songs. I do recognize the genious, significance, greatness and everything, but you know... it just don't move very much, and I feel bored if I have to listen a whole Beatles album... I guess it is some kind of chemical reaction, which just doesn't happen... I have tried to educate my taste, but shit, it is such a stubborn son of bitch that it doesn't believe what I try to say to it...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-15 14:06 by Doxa.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: January 15, 2015 14:15

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse
Who ? Wyman ? Links please if not it didn't happen.

@bleedingman - thanks for linking that interview, that's pretty much what I remembered and posted above, my memory's still not too bad...for certain things at least ;-)

Keith. I replied to LuxuryStones's post.

Ah. Muziek krant "Oor", Volkskrant, and different RS books that were around in the mid and late 7-tees etc. I remember that I read it, but I don't have the crystal ball that you are looking for.smiling smiley

Mick and Keith were both surprised and annoyed by Taylor's decision, like they've said numerous times. There was no doubt about them wanting him to stay.

I don't know what you mean with "crystal ball" in this case, but they both stated this in several interviews. A drunk/stoned Keith saying a couple of times he was surprised Taylor stayed that long won't alter that (That's the BS part) smiling smiley

Mick Taylor talked about Jagger not getting credits, hassles between Richards and Taylor in the Studio,"you're no good in the Studio, too @#$%& loud", Jagger stated "Mick found it difficult to get along with Keith". Taylor rehearsing with Jack Bruce. These things happened while Taylor still was in the band. Richards must have noticed it and spoke about it in the press. What's wrong with that? Sure they were disappointed when Taylor left suddenly, quite an impolite thing to do. And Jagger is a diplomat, he always speaks like a gentleman about other people. No need for us to play Taylors' or Richards guardian angel here. Drugs egos, women, too much time and too much money. You and I don't know exactly what happened - we have no crystal ball that reveals everythingsmiling smiley

Date: January 15, 2015 14:18

We certainly don't, but I found your statement: "They should have seen it coming" very crystal ball-esque grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-15 14:20 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 15, 2015 14:44

DandelionPowderman
We certainly don't, but I found your statement: "They should have seen it coming" very crystal ball-esque grinning smiley

Empathy is the key word, DP cool smiley

Date: January 15, 2015 20:00

I can empathise with that...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 15, 2015 20:32

Here are some more tracks from my colored boot "Rolling Stones Black & Blue Sessions Vol.1 with special guest Jeff Beck.:
Side One:
Sometimes I Wonder Why
Crazy Mama (Other Version)
Back To The Country
Lady
Side Two:
Melody (Other Version)
Rollin' Reggae
Hey Negrita (Long version)
Fool To Cry (Other Version)

Date: January 15, 2015 20:41

I don't think he played on all those songs.

Wasn't it also a song called Come On Sugar that he played on? Funky track.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 15, 2015 20:57

DandelionPowderman
I don't think he played on all those songs.

Wasn't it also a song called Come On Sugar that he played on? Funky track.

Yes DP you are right Jeff Beck is on some tracks and the song Come On Sugar is not listed on this album and the sound quality is ok I think

Date: January 19, 2015 01:38

It's rumoured Dutch Axeman Akkerman also jammed with the Rolling Stones in '75,
but the Stones thought he overplayed even more than Taylor in '73. Bad audio quality, rare, but to be found in the boot circuit.

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: January 19, 2015 13:16

LuxuryStones
but the Stones thought he overplayed even more than Taylor in '73. Bad audio quality, rare, but to be found in the boot circuit.

Never heard of this. Audio is also new to me. Overplaying for sure....

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 19, 2015 13:24

Doxa
Mathijs
I just can't stand Jeff Beck. I can't stand his sound, his never ending wobbling on the tremelo bar, that horrible jazz/hardrock bullshit, and he always has that terrible band behind him. I know he is considered one of the greatest by many, many guitarists, but I can't stand him.

Don't like Jimmy Page neither.

Mathijs

Hahaha... I was waiting this announcement to come...winking smiley

That said, I'm not particular fan of Beck either. Just not my cup of tea, even though I do recognize his talent and status/importance in a rock guitar history. A bit like 'problem' I have with the Beatles and Lennon/McCartney songs. I do recognize the genious, significance, greatness and everything, but you know... it just don't move very much, and I feel bored if I have to listen a whole Beatles album... I guess it is some kind of chemical reaction, which just doesn't happen... I have tried to educate my taste, but shit, it is such a stubborn son of bitch that it doesn't believe what I try to say to it...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

How dare you? This is the most beautiful song ever written imo!

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 19, 2015 14:46

LuxuryStones

Jeezz.... That hurted my ears. This must be a fake.

Date: January 19, 2015 14:50

LuxuryStones

Jan Akkerman with the Stones?

That would have lasted two days tops grinning smiley

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: January 19, 2015 15:31

you can hear the definitive vocals & back-up vocals.

the worst fake I ever heard.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:32

RipThisBone
TooTough
RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
Interesting to hear how bad of a fit Jeff Beck was for the Stones. Thanks for posting! smileys with beer

Yep, surprisingly with Jeff it it sounded a bit "stalemate" to me, as if they din't want to make music together.

Sometimes, great musicians just can't make the magic together smiling smiley

His guestappearance in the first O2 show London 2012 hurted my ears. Way too loud in the beginning and I liked Ronnie and Keith solo's more.

My friend Thomas put it this way: When he saw Jeff Beck coming on stage and
starting to noodle, he said: "Like an overexcited dog that´s pissing in every
corner". EXACTLY!

thumbs up smileys with beer

Back on topic: Are there recordings of songs with other guitarists on this Rotterdam Sessions 1975 tape besides Jeff Beck?
Martin Elliot in his book wrote Jeff Beck was on Heat Wave, Freeway Jam, English Rose, Shame Shame Shame and Man Eating Woman. These are all on the two (TDK 90 minutes) which I bought in Amsterdam in the early 80's of the last century.
Have not listened to them in ages and can't see myself listening to the YouTube version lasting 2 hours and 22 minutes.
Are there people on here for who this is a new discovery?

Yes I have never heard this before. Does that make me a lesser fan somehow?

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:41

DandelionPowderman
I can't even think of any famous guitarist who sound like him.

Who?

Date: January 19, 2015 16:50

RomanCandle
DandelionPowderman
I can't even think of any famous guitarist who sound like him.

Who?

Here's the whole post that you are quoting:

[No, but there are actually far more technically advanced players out there than that of "to the bone"-players like Keith smiling smiley

There are probably many reasons for that, but one of them is that people are too much in a hurry to master everything that they forget to develop their own sound along the way.

Keith knew what he wanted, and stuck to that - for better or worse.

I can't even think of any famous guitarist who sound like him. The closest would perhaps be Lou Reed or Roger McGuinn. But both of them lack the phrasing and touch Keith has and are even more primitive players.]

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:54

LuxuryStones

I have never heard that rumour, and it certainly isn't true. Akkerman can't stand the Stones, but he liked Taylor.

Mathijs

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 19, 2015 16:58

NEWMAN
LuxuryStones

Never heard of this. Audio is also new to me. Overplaying for sure....

Sounds like someone playing and singing (talking) to the official track?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-19 16:58 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 19, 2015 17:20

bitusa2012
RipThisBone
TooTough
RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
Interesting to hear how bad of a fit Jeff Beck was for the Stones. Thanks for posting! smileys with beer

Yep, surprisingly with Jeff it it sounded a bit "stalemate" to me, as if they din't want to make music together.

Sometimes, great musicians just can't make the magic together smiling smiley

His guestappearance in the first O2 show London 2012 hurted my ears. Way too loud in the beginning and I liked Ronnie and Keith solo's more.

My friend Thomas put it this way: When he saw Jeff Beck coming on stage and
starting to noodle, he said: "Like an overexcited dog that´s pissing in every
corner". EXACTLY!

thumbs up smileys with beer

Back on topic: Are there recordings of songs with other guitarists on this Rotterdam Sessions 1975 tape besides Jeff Beck?
Martin Elliot in his book wrote Jeff Beck was on Heat Wave, Freeway Jam, English Rose, Shame Shame Shame and Man Eating Woman. These are all on the two (TDK 90 minutes) which I bought in Amsterdam in the early 80's of the last century.
Have not listened to them in ages and can't see myself listening to the YouTube version lasting 2 hours and 22 minutes.
Are there people on here for who this is a new discovery?

Yes I have never heard this before. Does that make me a lesser fan somehow?

No not at all! I am curious what you think of these recordings and if you hear something new (another guitarist) in there or have a different look.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 19, 2015 20:30

That Jan Akkerman clip sounds like fake to me.

Date: January 19, 2015 22:27

Mathijs
Akkerman can't stand the Stones, but he liked Taylor.

Mathijs

I think he liked Keith's groove as well. He didn't think much of Clapton, so I'm not entirely sure about Taylor.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 20, 2015 10:40

LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

I think he liked Keith's groove as well. He didn't think much of Clapton, so I'm not entirely sure about Taylor.

I have spoken to Akkerman a few times over the years (and jammed with him as well, which is something I don't advice anyone to do....), and he said he hated the scene around the Stones in 1973/1974 and he doesn't like the music at all. He doesn't understand how you can play an entire concert with just three chords, basically.

Mathijs

Date: January 20, 2015 13:11

Mathijs
LuxuryStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

I have spoken to Akkerman a few times over the years (and jammed with him as well, which is something I don't advice anyone to do....), and he said he hated the scene around the Stones in 1973/1974 and he doesn't like the music at all. He doesn't understand how you can play an entire concert with just three chords, basically.

Mathijs
Very nice, playing for free with Akkerman. You will have learned something it seems to me? I was referring to the youtube clip were he's sitting on the backseat of the car, and commenting about the Les Paul. He didn't recognize Keiths'playing, thought it was Paul Kossoff, but he seemed to like the groove, Keith Richards intro "wicked as it seems", "Keith on a Tele or Musicman".

Rotterdam 1975 fake...
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 23, 2015 15:34

eye rolling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-23 15:35 by Redhotcarpet.

Re: Rotterdam 1975 fake...
Date: January 23, 2015 15:43

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1649
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home