Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: U2 Frontman May Never Play the Guitar Again
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 3, 2015 16:26

mighty stork
that his bandmates — The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen — "have reminded me that neither they nor Western civilization are depending on this.

Big assumption that Western civilization as a whole actually care. I can, however, see The Edge being a bit relieved that Bono's guitar skills wouldn't soon eclipse his own. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 3, 2015 19:51

Rockman
Can't someone encourage Larry, Edge and Adam ta take up bike-riding...

Well, well, well, imagine the fact that Mick Jagger was involved in a similar accident, I bet you guys would piss your pants, spill your Bud Light,
call it immoral and send complaints to bv if we'd be making jokes like this about Mick´s situation. Simple as that.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 3, 2015 20:03

1cdog
An early April Fool's joke right?

If this pin head, Bono, really compared himself to Jimmy Page as far as playing the guitar he is so self absorbed it's ridiculous.

I think the most recent hair implants must have been planted to deep in the poor saps head this time.

Do you know how to read?

Halup
It's fine that you were joking and Bono himself could likely see the humor in what you guys wrote, but what's silly is that some of you couldn't realize that Bono was joking when he mentioned his guitar playing and referring to Edge and Jimmy Page.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 3, 2015 20:20

The Stones

Well, well, well, imagine the fact that Mick Jagger was involved in a similar accident, I bet you guys would piss your pants, spill your Bud Light,
call it immoral and send complaints to bv if we'd be making jokes like this about Mick´s situation. Simple as that.

That's 100% true but since U2 fans are completely deprived of any sense of humor temptation is high to pull their leg with OTT comments.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 3, 2015 20:40

dcba
The Stones

That's 100% true but since U2 fans are completely deprived of any sense of humor temptation is high to pull their leg with OTT comments.

That's kind of pot calling kettle black. There's a few characters on the Stones' boards but most I have to quote the Joker: "Why so serious?!?!"grinning smiley

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:01

I was an avid U2 fan up until the early 90's or so. Just drifted off and lost
Interest probably for similar reasons already discussed. Certainly hope Bono
Recovers and can find the proper medical help to do so. The band has many
Diehard fans.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:15

Laughing at another's misfortune is bad karma. I'm no fan but he is a human being and I hope he does in fact recover the ability to play the guitar, a pleasure I myself am forever grateful for. I had neural paralysis and was devastated at the thought of having that taken from me. Bono must have been going at a somewhat reckless speed to have injured himself so badly:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:24

bleedingman
Laughing at another's misfortune is bad karma. I'm no fan but he is a human being and I hope he does in fact recover the ability to play the guitar, a pleasure I myself am forever grateful for. I had neural paralysis and was devastated at the thought of having that taken from me. Bono must have been going at a somewhat reckless speed to have injured himself so badly:

I don't think anyone is laughing at the accident, which I agree is horrible.

Rather his speech about it...the bone sticking out being so 'punk rock'.

His purpose in life seems to be to irritate a lot of people and he does a damn good job of it.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:36

No big deal here. Nasty spill on a bike, got himself fixed, made some news
and maybe even gained some needed sympathy. Now back to making music and money.

BTW, when Keith fell from the coconut tree, that wasn't punk rock at all,
more like piña colada pop, but there where many get well posts here, but also
some jokes, and whatever...back to making music and money.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: January 3, 2015 21:52

Can this guy be anymore of a douche. didn't realize he knew how to play guitar.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 3, 2015 22:11

He got the best medical treatment available….I wonder if he had the thought to
pay it forward. I am sure there were a few injured and uninsured cyclists in the hospital.
Nah, I bet he didn't have the thought.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 3, 2015 22:22

dcba
The Stones

Yup, it could happen to anyone and their fans would take offence to those who make lite of it:

Date: January 3, 2015 22:33

"Don't forget if you're out tonight and you're on your bike - wear white (and a helmet)":

Date: January 3, 2015 22:37

ChefGuevara

Yes, the "coconut tree"...

Just how long is that fiction going to continue?

Date: January 3, 2015 22:39

Rockman
but where is the point in joking about someone who has had an accident and may not be abled to do something he always liked very much anymore?

Well Well Well as you may well know, many made jokes, T-Shirts etc of Keith's tree accident( and still do ) but can't recall anyone stepping forward and saying BACK OFF that's enough ....

Keith was actually a very good sport when he saw fans with inflatable palm trees in the crowd after his accident.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 3, 2015 23:51

Keith was actually a very good sport when he saw fans with inflatable palm trees in the crowd after his accident.

Exactly ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 4, 2015 00:39

bleedingman

I've had it taken from me due to a medical issue. Is sad. Not that I was any good but it was fun. Have to type sort of like playing piano. You adapt.

Date: January 4, 2015 01:53

GasLightStreet
ChefGuevara

Yes, the "coconut tree"...

Just how long is that fiction going to continue?
thumbs up

Date: January 4, 2015 01:56

Hound Dog
Can this guy be anymore of a douche. didn't realize he knew how to play guitar.

I didn't realize he thought he could play guitar!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 4, 2015 02:34

I still say the last round of hair transplants for Bono were implanted too deep in his head.

Some are in denial on this however I bet if Bono had it to do over again he would just go with extensions or a wig.

Date: January 4, 2015 02:38

1cdog
I still say the last round of hair transplants for Bono were implanted too deep in his head.

Some are in denial on this however I bet if Bono had it to do over again he would just go with extensions or a wig.

Or perhaps sunglasses that extended higher up his forehead?

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: January 4, 2015 03:04

I can, however, see The Edge being a bit relieved that Bono's guitar skills wouldn't soon eclipse his own.

I know this was in jest, but I have a definite opinion on this and talk about it on occasion with guitar playing friends.

My feelings are that Edge is a good guitarist in the sense that George Harrison was a good guitarist. Their playing enhances the song. Edge is also unique in that when you hear him play you know it's him, he has his own sound and takes ownership of it. I bet there is a pub within a few miles of everyone with a guitarist that can hit every blues scale note under the sun. I venture to say he sounds alot like SRV. The guitarist will probably spend the rest of his working musical life doing the pub circuit. He probably has nothing unique to bring to the table. Edge is an original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-04 03:04 by beachbreak.

Date: January 4, 2015 03:05

The bone sticking through his leather jacket must've been a laugh too... since that didn't happen.

Like someone falling out of a coconut tree...

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 4, 2015 03:10

treaclefingers
1cdog

Date: January 4, 2015 03:19

mighty stork
treaclefingers
1cdog

valiant effort...unfortunately the sunglasses are extending down the face and not up, rendering the effort pointless.

Still, an 'a' for effort.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 4, 2015 05:32

beachbreak
I can, however, see The Edge being a bit relieved that Bono's guitar skills wouldn't soon eclipse his own.

I know this was in jest, but I have a definite opinion on this and talk about it on occasion with guitar playing friends.

My feelings are that Edge is a good guitarist in the sense that George Harrison was a good guitarist. Their playing enhances the song. Edge is also unique in that when you hear him play you know it's him, he has his own sound and takes ownership of it. I bet there is a pub within a few miles of everyone with a guitarist that can hit every blues scale note under the sun. I venture to say he sounds alot like SRV. The guitarist will probably spend the rest of his working musical life doing the pub circuit. He probably has nothing unique to bring to the table. Edge is an original.

Naw they grew up and became Kenny Wayne Shepard and Johnny Lang , with pretty good gigs. But I don't hear many pro guitarists playing like The Edge, at least since they turned pro...grinning smiley

Seriously, I do understand what you are saying and agree that The Edge has found his own sound. I just kinda wish he would grow out of it. lol

peace

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: January 4, 2015 05:57

It's pretty obvious that Bono's Page/Edge comment is self deprecatingly tongue in cheek, but that shouldn't stop those on the high ground from having a good slag at him right?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 4, 2015 06:04

Naturalust
beachbreak

Naw they grew up and became Kenny Wayne Shepard and Johnny Lang , with pretty good gigs. But I don't hear many pro guitarists playing like The Edge, at least since they turned pro...grinning smiley

Seriously, I do understand what you are saying and agree that The Edge has found his own sound. I just kinda wish he would grow out of it. lol

peace

Harrison never had 10 guitar effects playing off each other. Hey, that's the Edge's sound, so whatever works. In fact, most guitarists I know have a Felix magic bag of tricks and never use most of them. I'll take Harrison's descending run in the song Help! over any Edge riff.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 4, 2015 12:07

<<Harrison never had 10 guitar effects playing off each other.>>

He never had to--because he started hanging around Eric Clapton. You'll notice how his guitar playing became more accomplished and fluid between 1967 and 1969. There's a bridge between those years--or was it a "Badge"?

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 4, 2015 12:16

Harrison became more fluid and accomplished from practicing the sitar.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2251
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home