Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: U2 Frontman May Never Play the Guitar Again
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 4, 2015 12:19

terraplane
Harrison became more fluid and accomplished from practicing the sitar.

Harrison also turned up on jack Bruce's Songs for a Tailor as a guest guitarist: he must have been worth his salt.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 4, 2015 13:46

treaclefingers
Rockman
Can't someone encourage Larry, Edge and Adam ta take up bike-riding...

That's quite mean spirited. I love it.

Me too, good one Rocky !! thumbs up >grinning smiley< smiling smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: January 4, 2015 16:14

I love George Harrison. One of my favorites. That descending riff in Help was great. He played some stuff that was head scratching, how did he come up with that? His rockabilly type stuff is good too, as in Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby. Very tasteful stuff.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 4, 2015 16:56

Even for Stones fans, there are some remarkably ill-tempered and downright hostile comments here. Just cut him some slack. In fact, cut him a shed load of slack. Jesus Christ, none of us are perfect people. Some people are only too happy to ignore the Stones bad behaviour yet constantly have a pop at Bono for doing f&cking charity work. Ease up for god's sake or become the embittered, conservative old tw&ts the Stones railed against five decades ago.

So count me in for good old laff and some sanctimonious finger-pointing when Richards falls off his ladder/tree/house/stage and punctures a lung/cranium again. Silly old dope-smoking b@stard, all his own fault, right?? Let's all be smug, compassionless b@stards because it makes us feel like big, important people to watch a wealthy popular man get physically hurt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-04 17:04 by Father Ted.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2015 17:22

Father Ted
Even for Stones fans, there are some remarkably ill-tempered and downright hostile comments here. Just cut him some slack. In fact, cut him a shed load of slack. Jesus Christ, none of us are perfect people. Some people are only too happy to ignore the Stones bad behaviour yet constantly have a pop at Bono for doing f&cking charity work. Ease up for god's sake or become the embittered, conservative old tw&ts the Stones railed against five decades ago.

So count me in for good old laff and some sanctimonious finger-pointing when Richards falls off his ladder/tree/house/stage and punctures a lung/cranium again. Silly old dope-smoking b@stard, all his own fault, right?? Let's all be smug, compassionless b@stards because it makes us feel like big, important people to watch a wealthy popular man get physically hurt.

smug and compassionless vs. cold and humourless. A tough choice indeed.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 4, 2015 17:23

Father Ted

It's called a joke for a reason. And it isn't like anyone was saying this to Bono's face, it's on a message board that he'll never see. Lighten up, learn to laugh, drink some wine, and live longer.

I laughed at several of the comments. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: January 4, 2015 18:23

LeonidP
Father Ted

It's called a joke for a reason. And it isn't like anyone was saying this to Bono's face, it's on a message board that he'll never see. Lighten up, learn to laugh, drink some wine, and live longer.

I laughed at several of the comments. If that makes me a bad person, so be it.
Yes, drink a lot of wine! Bono doesn't really do much charity work. He does PR,
photo-ops, preaching, and plays guitar as well as Jimmy Page.cool smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 4, 2015 19:26

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: January 4, 2015 22:50

Bono does charity work? If you consider talking at concerts and mocking people who don't have the same beliefs as him than ok. Friends of mine saw u2 a few years ago, you couldn't pay may to go see this ass, and they said he talked for sometimes up to 20 minutes in between songs about politics and was spitting on the stage the whole time to prove a point. Have also heard from many U2 fans that he is a plain jerk if you ever meet him in person.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: January 4, 2015 23:45

J-J-Flash
Bono does charity work? If you consider talking at concerts and mocking people who don't have the same beliefs as him than ok. Friends of mine saw u2 a few years ago, you couldn't pay may to go see this ass, and they said he talked for sometimes up to 20 minutes in between songs about politics and was spitting on the stage the whole time to prove a point. Have also heard from many U2 fans that he is a plain jerk if you ever meet him in person.

That's completely false. I have met the guy probably on at least 10 occasions over the past 15 years. I have 3-4 photos with him, a ton of signed items and have had decent short conversations with him. Considering his stature in the music world, he's extremely gracious towards fans.

In concert he has never talked for up to 20 minutes between songs about politics, nowhere even near that amount. Your friends are lying to you if they said this. In a concert he may mention something about politics or Africa 1-2 times and it's not for more than a minute or two.

It's amazing how ill informed people are that go on about this guy so negatively. Devote a few minutes and read about what the guy has done Maybe some of your ultra conservative cynicism will fade a bid. If even George W. Bush can see the value in what the organizations that Bono is part of, maybe you can as well.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 5, 2015 00:08

If even George W. Bush can see the value in what the organizations that Bono is part of, maybe you can as well.

Most Americans I know are pretty distrusting of anything associated with our ex-President, so your assertion seems a bit counter productive.

As far as Bono's charity and philanthropic work are concerned, I applaud him for what he's done and respect that he continues to support his beliefs in the face of all the criticism he's received.

The beloved George Harrison started the rock star association to causes with The Concert for Bangladesh and he was praised and lauded for his work. Bono just doesn't seem to have the humility George had which might account for some of the harsh comments. I think he'd do more for his causes by just throwing charity concerts and keeping his mouth shut except to sing. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2015 00:52

Herald Sun ..... 5 January 2015

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: January 5, 2015 01:00

Naturalust
If even George W. Bush can see the value in what the organizations that Bono is part of, maybe you can as well.

Most Americans I know are pretty distrusting of anything associated with our ex-President, so your assertion seems a bit counter productive.

As far as Bono's charity and philanthropic work are concerned, I applaud him for what he's done and respect that he continues to support his beliefs in the face of all the criticism he's received.

The beloved George Harrison started the rock star association to causes with The Concert for Bangladesh and he was praised and lauded for his work. Bono just doesn't seem to have the humility George had which might account for some of the harsh comments. I think he'd do more for his causes by just throwing charity concerts and keeping his mouth shut except to sing. smoking smiley

peace

My point in mentioning Bush was to show these ultra conversative Bono bashers that even a fellow ultra conservative like Bush could see the value in his programs.

Harrison started the whole rock star charity thing in a big way with Bangla Desh and even going back to 1964 with the Beatles when they did a charity concert in New York to end their summer North American tour. Bono does have a completely different personality than Harrison, but I think it's better to compare his efforts with those of John and Yoko and their bed ins. John, like Bono, was not afraid to make a fool of himself in the public eye if it got across his agenda, which was just peace.

Other than when U2 have performed at events like Live Aid, Bono's charity efforts have never involved asking the public to contribute money. Instead he has asked people to sign up for his One campaign and receive emails. He is all about putting pressure on governments to do things like forgive foreign debt that these African nations are never going to be able to pay back anyway and to give more aid to these countries. The guy has done his research and has teamed with people that have a lot of credibility.

As i said, he has never asked the common person to donate money. Instead his organization has got large corporations like Bank of America to give money and created things like Product Red where retailers sell items and give the proceeds to help in Africa. He has said that the Africans don't want short term handouts. To assist in this, he started a clothing company called Edun where almost 100% of the workers are Ugandans.

Many of his musical heroes were people like John Lennon, Bob Marley and Joe Strummer and he sees himself, rightly so, as following in their footsteps in combining music and activism. If people here spent a few minutes to research, they would see that the work he has done is actually working unlike most celebrity backed efforts. I think a lot of the cynicism he gets is because many of these celebrity attached events don't really do a lot of good and the celebrity walks away from it and is there just for the glory. Bono has put in a hell of a lot of time in doing what he has and he is smart enough to know that people are going to knock him down, but that's the same thing that Lennon knew.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: January 5, 2015 01:08

Rockman

Herald Sun ..... 5 January 2015

I wonder why Keith never posted pictures from his brain surgery?

Maybe saying, "I might never be able to play guitar, piano, bass or even sing any more"!!

(he had a period with less ability, but has fully recovered to pre-2006 standards)

Even Charlie could have posted pictures from his cancer surgery saying "I might not be able to talk on stage any more".

smileys with beer

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 5, 2015 01:23

I think a lot of people don't like Bono because he has no problem sitting down and talking to Bush, was well as Mike Huckabee and Glenn Beck.

When someone will only talk to "one side", it makes it more about politics and less about anything else.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 5, 2015 01:35

mtaylor

The least he could have done was post them on his FaceBook page.smiling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2015 01:42

I think a lot of people don't like Bono because he has no problem sitting down and talking to Bush, was well as Mike Huckabee and Glenn Beck.

YES he should show some respect and stay standing.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 5, 2015 06:01

mtaylor

He did post this pic!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 5, 2015 06:36

mtaylor

Keith brain xray...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-05 06:40 by LeonidP.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 5, 2015 07:41

Hairball
mtaylor

He did post this pic!

I remember when he had that x-ray done

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 5, 2015 08:06

Halup

My point in mentioning Bush was to show these ultra conversative Bono bashers that even a fellow ultra conservative like Bush could see the value in his programs.

Hard to believe Bono bashers on this board are ultra conservative, socially speaking. In fact hard to believe anyone on this board could be described that way. Maybe we should ask the resident sociologist angee?

peace

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2015 23:04

Naturalust
Halup

Hard to believe Bono bashers on this board are ultra conservative, socially speaking. In fact hard to believe anyone on this board could be described that way. Maybe we should ask the resident sociologist angee?

peace

There are people of both sides of the aisle here, which have led to some interesting digital fisticuffs, which is really why BV bans political discussions. A complete lack of civility seems to ensue.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 5, 2015 23:31

Bono started it lol.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home