Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: OT: U2 officially announce world tour
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 8, 2014 06:17

Adam Clayton landed the luckiest gig on Earth. Should change his name to Root Note Richard. The fact he gets mentioned as a co writer and that he puts bass lines to their songs that my cat drunk with her paws in plaster could put more creative bass lies to makes him one lucky s.o.b.

I don't like that you hear a lot of music coming from the stage that clearly isn't being played with their shows. A bit now and then fine but their shows have always been riddled with it.

They do have some great music in my opinion though and clearly know their stuff given they're still the biggest band on Earth.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:24

keefriff99
Wow, people just LOVE to hate U2 nowadays.

I'll try to go to Boston or MSG if the ticket prices aren't unreasonable.

>grinning smiley< >grinning smiley< >grinning smiley<

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: December 8, 2014 15:28

dcba
belld
FeelTheFire
Most overrated band in the world......after the horrible INXS.
U2 the most overrated band of all time.

They craft pretty good and forgettable pop songs imo. "Beautiful Day" is silly but you remember the song for a day or two. But the idea they play in the same league as Dylan Hendrix or the Stones and write classics as strong as "Row" or "Shelter" is 100% stupid.
They're a little nice band driven by one huge ego.

And U2 suck live : on a stage they can't hide the fact the fact they're all semi-amateur musicians with very low skills. And they're deprived of any energy. Maybe they should all do coke?

1001 reasons to hate them even more (>grinning smiley< >grinning smiley< >grinning smiley<) and not go see them then !! All in all, a giant thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:29

OzHeavyThrobber
Adam Clayton landed the luckiest gig on Earth. Should change his name to Root Note Richard. The fact he gets mentioned as a co writer and that he puts bass lines to their songs that my cat drunk with her paws in plaster could put more creative bass lies to makes him one lucky s.o.b.

I don't like that you hear a lot of music coming from the stage that clearly isn't being played with their shows. A bit now and then fine but their shows have always been riddled with it.

They do have some great music in my opinion though and clearly know their stuff given they're still the biggest band on Earth.
I'd say that a LOT of drummers and bassists of famous bands "got lucky"...Ringo being the classic example, but also guys Cliff Williams (AC/DC), Ian Hill (Judas Priest), Gary Tallent (Springsteen).

Even CHARLIE...yes, our wonderful CHARLIE got extremely lucky in hooking up with Mick and Keith. He's worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and hasn't had to write a song or play anything insanely challenging for his whole career.

Now, I'm certainly not denigrating any of the above musicians, but for you to single out Clayton just to further the anti-U2 vibe in this thread is dishonest.

In a lot of rock music, simple root note, quarter note bass lines and 4/4 beats are what is required. You don't need Jaco Pastorius and Neil Peart on every track, nor would you want it.

For a lot of rhythm sections, it's about being in the right place at the right time, and about being dependable.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 15:40

First of all I honestly don't understand how and why can anybody hate a band. What might possibly be the reason? I mean there are a lot of bands that I don't like, a lot of bands I don't care about and a lot of bands I think are utter crap, but why would I hate them?

And why does anybody feel the urge to spread their hatred based on their personality problems more than anything else on the internet? Purely because they don't like their music? Is that a reason to hate anybody? That would be sick. Because they feel that those bands earn a lot of money they don't deserve? Is that 1 mil. dollars that supposedly each Stone gets for each gig nowadays deserved and hard earned salary? Of course not. Shall I hate them for that? I can't see why should I. People in general don't get paid purely according to their abilities and how hard working they are. It is unfair on all levels, whatever you do. Or is there anything else? If anybody knows, please tell me, because I really don't get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 15:41 by Happy24.

Date: December 8, 2014 15:49

Happy24
First of all I honestly don't understand how and why can anybody hate a band. What might possibly be the reason? I mean there are a lot of bands that I don't like, a lot of bands I don't care about and a lot of bands I think are utter crap, but why would I hate them?

And why does anybody feel the urge to spread their hatred based on their personality problems more than anything else on the internet? Purely because they don't like their music? Is that a reason to hate anybody? That would be sick. Because they feel that those bands earn a lot of money they don't deserve? Is that 1 mil. dollars that supposedly each Stone gets for each gig nowadays deserved and hard earned salary? Of course not. Shall I hate them for that? I can't see why should I. People in general don't get paid purely according to their abilities and how hard working they are. It is unfair on all levels, whatever you do. Or is there anything else? If anybody knows, please tell me, because I really don't get it.

Well in U2's case it's depressingly simple to understand really ... (a) they're crap, and (b) Bono is a sanctimonious git

Now don't tell me that's beyond your comprehension, surely not ?

Right then, excuse me ... I really must rush off and address my personality problems !! winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 8, 2014 16:13

Five pages here and maybe one poster used the word hate. Not very valid to
assign that word to all the other posts imo.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 16:26

paulywaul
Happy24

Well in U2's case it's depressingly simple to understand really ... (a) they're crap, and (b) Bono is a sanctimonious git

Right then, excuse me ... I really must rush off and address my personality problems !! winking smiley winking smiley winking smiley

Yes, it really is beyond my comprehension. First I like their music, but that has nothing to do with it, really. You think they are crap, that is fine with me, as I wrote, I also think about a lot of bands that they are crap. But I still don't see it as a reason to hate anybody.

And that Bono's save-the-world activities get on a lot of people's nerves is a part I fully understand, I find it ridiculous too, but again, I can't see a reason why should I hate Bono for that or why should I even expand it on other U2 members.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it, just this whole "U2 are the most overrated piece of crap" thing seems to be really laughable to me and I think that in most cases it is based on people's jealousy. I am not saying that this is necessarily your case, pauly :-)

Date: December 8, 2014 17:27

Happy24
paulywaul
Happy24

Yes, it really is beyond my comprehension. First I like their music, but that has nothing to do with it, really. You think they are crap, that is fine with me, as I wrote, I also think about a lot of bands that they are crap. But I still don't see it as a reason to hate anybody.

And that Bono's save-the-world activities get on a lot of people's nerves is a part I fully understand, I find it ridiculous too, but again, I can't see a reason why should I hate Bono for that or why should I even expand it on other U2 members.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it, just this whole "U2 are the most overrated piece of crap" thing seems to be really laughable to me and I think that in most cases it is based on people's jealousy. I am not saying that this is necessarily your case, pauly :-)

Wise decision ... winking smiley

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 19:05

I saw U2 several times in the early days (1981 and 1982) and they were one of the hottest live acts around at the time. Bono was amazing and full of energy in those days. I remember him climbing up the PA and onto the balcony at Newcastle City Hall, and it was like he was singing directly to you. They had some class songs at the time: Tick Tock, I Will Follow.
I still rate them, but I long to see some of the energy from those early days. I just bought myself a ticket to see them in Glasgow, £100 to be up the back of the arena (ouch!). Hope its good. It will be the first time I have seen them indoors for 30 years, so I am looking forward to it.
Peter

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: December 8, 2014 19:20

Bought two tickets for 77 pounds at the 02. London.Pure nostalgia as they remind me of my teenage years in Italy. I think it will be an excellent nighthot smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-08 20:37 by desertblues68.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 8, 2014 20:07

Had a shot at tix this morning as they went on sale immediately at 10:00AM sharp. TicketBastard displayed a 2 minute wait time, then 3, then 4, then 5, then 6, then I waited until it was down to 2 minutes, then it bounced up to 5 minutes, and after a total of ten minutes of me staring at the screen watching the wait time numbers bounce all over the place, it offered me upper balcony behind-the stage seats that I did not ask for (asked for loge only). When I hit 'search again,' it told me the wait would be 15 minutes or longer... and it proceeded to give me that message for six minutes without change. I gave up! I have seen U2 four times, and it looks like I will not see them a fifth time.

It is ok. That cash really ought to go toward my mortgage! And I told myself I'd had virtually enough of the arena/ stadium concert experience, with a few bucket-list exceptions (knocked Fleetwood Mac w/ full line-up off my list in Oct, and I have yet to see Springsteen, but that pretty much does it for big, loud concert desires for me). Many of my favorite artists play in small venues anyway..

But TicketMaster, man... I have certainly had enough of that whole experience.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 8, 2014 20:35

Put in for tix at $118 (2) and $87 (1) for another show.
While I'm upstairs for the $118 tix, the $87 ticket is GA!

..if you are still trying, put in the next to lowest price on floor, you might get lucky.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: December 8, 2014 21:01

Well, I don't hate them. I have just never liked their music.

Any word yet on how many and who the hidden musicians will be on this touR?

Date: December 8, 2014 22:55

1cdog

...well since I have GA which is along side of that long stage, I will take a peek and let you knowgrinning smiley

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 9, 2014 00:29

1cdog

It should just be the usual guy Terry Lawless occasionally on keyboards when The Edge isn't doing it.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 9, 2014 07:00

Dishonest Kiff Riff? I hardly see how that term applies at all to what I said. I singled him out because this is a U2 thread. Just as if I thought the same re anyone else I may have posted similarly with regard to that artist/band.

This maybe an "anti U2" thread but I am not anti U2 and state as much in my post: "They do have some great music in my opinion though and clearly know their stuff given they're still the biggest band on Earth".

I like U2. A great deal in fact. I'd also say to anyone at least go and see them once if you have the opportunity. Clayton however in my opinion is not a bass player. He plays root notes and when on the odd occasion he veers from that path you get a simple and repetitive line ala "Mysterious ways". Given he rakes in song writing royalties unlike the others you mention, I would have thought in 38 years he could do a bit more than AAA, DDD, EEE etc is all I was saying. Hell good on the guy, but he is the luckiest guy in music I've known.

Date: December 9, 2014 15:14

Well, I suppose I'll have another go at tickets next week:

[www.u2.com]

Date: December 9, 2014 18:15

I noticed last night that there were still plenty seats left for the mid-week Los Angeles shows.

Posted by: KeithDaMan ()
Date: December 9, 2014 18:33

Although they have made some pretty good music I don't like them at all. Especially Bono the preacher. I tried to like them, as many of my friends do but it's never gonna happen.

Ah well.

Date: December 9, 2014 19:17

ok, what I meant to say was, as of this morning there are new shows added, so in my area anyway, I have one more chance. And for me, it's all about the songs. Love or hate a rock star with an ego, U2's music has always meant something to me. And the live performances are pretty special, every one I have been to and seen on screen. I certainly get it if you don't like U2's music. But ego-- that is not a reason to diss a rock and roll band. If that were the case, we'd have to dismiss The Beatles, The Doors, and... well the Rolling Stones, among others. And I certainly can't be upset at a ridiculously wealthy rock star for using his status and wealth to hop around the world and get world leaders to help raise money to fight AIDS and hunger. Not much wrong with that. Preach away, Mr. Bono. (Or Mr. Hewson, or whatever it is).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-09 19:17 by Tate.

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: December 9, 2014 19:43

Halup
1cdog

It should just be the usual guy Terry Lawless occasionally on keyboards when The Edge isn't doing it.

actually it's the other way 'round :-)

Terry does most of the keys, and here and there Edge plays a bit of piano

anyway, yes, most probably the setup will be the usual: 4 guys onstage and Terry Lawless under it. it's dumb, but U2 like it that way, so...

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 9, 2014 19:56

The U2 Zooropa 1993 concert in the Feijenoord stadium in Rotterdam was a class act. just go for it

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 9, 2014 20:03

superglen
Halup
1cdog

actually it's the other way 'round :-)

Terry does most of the keys, and here and there Edge plays a bit of piano

anyway, yes, most probably the setup will be the usual: 4 guys onstage and Terry Lawless under it. it's dumb, but U2 like it that way, so...

Would be cool if the band joined Terry beneath the stage for the show.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: December 9, 2014 20:16

Only clicked on this thread to see why there are 5 pages, Bono makes me want to puke and I really find it hard to believe they are as popular as they are cause their music sucks.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 9, 2014 20:26

Hound Dog
Only clicked on this thread to see why there are 5 pages, Bono makes me want to puke and I really find it hard to believe they are as popular as they are cause their music sucks.

Oh yeah?! You ain't nuthin' but a hound dog.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: December 9, 2014 20:51

OzHeavyThrobber
Dishonest Kiff Riff? I hardly see how that term applies at all to what I said. I singled him out because this is a U2 thread. Just as if I thought the same re anyone else I may have posted similarly with regard to that artist/band.

This maybe an "anti U2" thread but I am not anti U2 and state as much in my post: "They do have some great music in my opinion though and clearly know their stuff given they're still the biggest band on Earth".

I like U2. A great deal in fact. I'd also say to anyone at least go and see them once if you have the opportunity. Clayton however in my opinion is not a bass player. He plays root notes and when on the odd occasion he veers from that path you get a simple and repetitive line ala "Mysterious ways". Given he rakes in song writing royalties unlike the others you mention, I would have thought in 38 years he could do a bit more than AAA, DDD, EEE etc is all I was saying. Hell good on the guy, but he is the luckiest guy in music I've known.

Having played the bass myself for the past 28 years, from my perspective, Clayton IS a bass player... He just doesn't do much with the instrument that could be called "creative" or "innovative". That being said, from what I've heard (mind you, I'm no expert in U2 music - I know the hits and have a couple of their albums in addition to the greatest hits packages), what he DOES play is nearly perfect for THEIR music. In my mind, U2's music, is typically a "soundscape" or a "pad" on which the words and melody lies. A busy, creative, innovate bass line would most-likely reduce the effectiveness. Ever heard of the expression that states: "sometimes less is more"? In my mind Clayton is the poster boy for that concept.

I can't believe that I'm actually defending Clayton's playing but, from a purely technical level, what he's doing actually IS NOT all that easy. While on the surface it may seem that it wouldn't be all that difficult to replicate his parts, the ability to keep rock solid, perfect, never changing 8th notes is only deceptively easy. Anyone who tries to pull it off for any amount of time will tell you that it's a whole lot more difficult than it would seem to be on the surface.

I won't disagree that Clayton is lucky to have found sympathetic musicians in Bono, Edge & Mullen, but I'd have to say that THEY are lucky to have found HIM as well. Clayton is perfect for what Edge & Mullen have been playing around him and they're lucky to have him in the middle holding them together.

If I had to vote on a topic of "luckiest person in music" I'd pick Yoko Ono as the winner of that title. We'll save that for another thread though. smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: December 9, 2014 20:51

Hound Dog

You think U2 sucks and still you decide to browse through a topic on U2 and even make a posting. THAT totally sucks!!!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: December 9, 2014 22:01

U2 bring strong reactions from people without a doubt,its probably due to their popularity.
i listened to a band called THE ALARM around the same time i discovered U2 in the early 80's and they had a similar sound.if i remember correctly they were from wales.to this day i've never heard anyone say-"the alarm suck,i hate them,total crap especially the singer"

having said that,bono does need to stop taking himself so seriously.we get that they want to help people and use the fame to bring attention to causes,thats a good thing-but what seems lost on them is that it can take the focus off the music and in fact color the way people here their work.

bono needs to lighten it up a little so people dont think he's trying to be the freakin messiah and it would be a bit easier to take.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 10, 2014 00:19

mr_dja
OzHeavyThrobber

Having played the bass myself for the past 28 years, from my perspective, Clayton IS a bass player... He just doesn't do much with the instrument that could be called "creative" or "innovative". That being said, from what I've heard (mind you, I'm no expert in U2 music - I know the hits and have a couple of their albums in addition to the greatest hits packages), what he DOES play is nearly perfect for THEIR music. In my mind, U2's music, is typically a "soundscape" or a "pad" on which the words and melody lies. A busy, creative, innovate bass line would most-likely reduce the effectiveness. Ever heard of the expression that states: "sometimes less is more"? In my mind Clayton is the poster boy for that concept.

I can't believe that I'm actually defending Clayton's playing but, from a purely technical level, what he's doing actually IS NOT all that easy. While on the surface it may seem that it wouldn't be all that difficult to replicate his parts, the ability to keep rock solid, perfect, never changing 8th notes is only deceptively easy. Anyone who tries to pull it off for any amount of time will tell you that it's a whole lot more difficult than it would seem to be on the surface.

I won't disagree that Clayton is lucky to have found sympathetic musicians in Bono, Edge & Mullen, but I'd have to say that THEY are lucky to have found HIM as well. Clayton is perfect for what Edge & Mullen have been playing around him and they're lucky to have him in the middle holding them together.

If I had to vote on a topic of "luckiest person in music" I'd pick Yoko Ono as the winner of that title. We'll save that for another thread though. smileys with beer

Peace,
Mr DJA
That's EXACTLY the point I was making.

Do Cliff Williams (AC/DC) or Ian Hill (Judas Priest) suck at playing bass? No, they do EXACTLY what the music requires. Playing like Geddy Lee or John Entwistle under that type of music would sound wrong.

And you're right that playing 8th notes isn't easy without speeding up or drifting tempo-wise.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 5 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home