Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: OT: U2 officially announce world tour
Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 23, 2014 09:37

treaclefingers
don't get so touchy...I actually like U2, but I do see what everyone's complaining about. Not many people get their knickers in a twist if we slag jagger over "Let's Work"...so why do you care?

U2 does put out 'mom' music now, and Bono's self-righteousness is beyond irritating. We can't discuss that?

Now I agree with pretty much everything you write - as I wrote before, I am also not a fan of Bono's preaching, I can see why people complain about it. That being said, I really like the music and I admit that it gets on my nerves how aggressive people can get without any reason really. What I wrote was not meant against you, so please don't take it personally. :-)

What gets me are those peole who write something like - what a piece of sh..., I don't care about them at all. And then two days later they write another just as insightful thing and then again... Yes, I agree that Bono is full of himself, that he takes himself too seriously, but on the other hand I have never heard that he would be nasty or behaved with any disrespect towards anybody. And as for The Edge, I believe that besides being truly talented and original, he is also a very nice person.

I think that the main problem most people have with them is that they try (very succesfully) to sell their product to as many people as possible and earn as much money as possible. Well, I think that is absolutely natural. Who would not do that? A lot of people want to see rock stars as starving artists, just the way they started. And it is not just that they want to see them that way, they demand they must be that way. But that is just not real. And seriously, how can anyone who claims to be a fan of The Rolling Stones have a problem with some bands / singers being succesfull and tough bussinesmen? :-)

So I admit that all that meaningless negativity gets me. Again, it is nothing against you, it is just that the article you posted was really posted here before - a couple of days after the album was released.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 23, 2014 16:10

Imho the problem with this band is Bono's huge ego, the string of mediocre albums by the band and... the complete lack of humour from U2 fans.

So it's very tempting to pull their leg and write ugly things about the Irish lads.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 23, 2014 21:14

dcba
Imho the problem with this band is Bono's huge ego, the string of mediocre albums by the band and... the complete lack of humour from U2 fans.

So it's very tempting to pull their leg and write ugly things about the Irish lads.

Self depreciation doesn't seem to be their thing yet it would suit them well.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 24, 2014 00:18

Happy24
treaclefingers
don't get so touchy...I actually like U2, but I do see what everyone's complaining about. Not many people get their knickers in a twist if we slag jagger over "Let's Work"...so why do you care?

U2 does put out 'mom' music now, and Bono's self-righteousness is beyond irritating. We can't discuss that?

Now I agree with pretty much everything you write - as I wrote before, I am also not a fan of Bono's preaching, I can see why people complain about it. That being said, I really like the music and I admit that it gets on my nerves how aggressive people can get without any reason really. What I wrote was not meant against you, so please don't take it personally. :-)

What gets me are those peole who write something like - what a piece of sh..., I don't care about them at all. And then two days later they write another just as insightful thing and then again... Yes, I agree that Bono is full of himself, that he takes himself too seriously, but on the other hand I have never heard that he would be nasty or behaved with any disrespect towards anybody. And as for The Edge, I believe that besides being truly talented and original, he is also a very nice person.

I think that the main problem most people have with them is that they try (very succesfully) to sell their product to as many people as possible and earn as much money as possible. Well, I think that is absolutely natural. Who would not do that? A lot of people want to see rock stars as starving artists, just the way they started. And it is not just that they want to see them that way, they demand they must be that way. But that is just not real. And seriously, how can anyone who claims to be a fan of The Rolling Stones have a problem with some bands / singers being succesfull and tough bussinesmen? :-)

So I admit that all that meaningless negativity gets me. Again, it is nothing against you, it is just that the article you posted was really posted here before - a couple of days after the album was released.

A, ok, didn't know whether the article had been posted before, but I did mention it was an older article.

It's just that I think they're pretty dead bang on in that article. For me, they've lost their way several times through the years, and each time found their way back but not this time.

After Joshua Tree they came out with the maligned live album and then came up with the unmatched Achtung Baby, only to mess up the rest of the 90s but find their way back again with All That You Can't Leave Behind and then again get progressively worse.

They've written some of the best songs ever, but the are incredibly uneven in their music. I don't think you can point to them having even two albums in a row that were bullet proof. And then there's Bono...heart may be in the right place, but he needs someone to better manage his image.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 24, 2014 02:15

<<After Joshua Tree>>

Treacle, you've described exactly how I have perceived their career. I bought the albums up through Joshua Tree, liked Rattle and Hum but not the whole album, only All I Want Is You. That single with BB King is the first U2 single that didn't connect with me. Liked some of Achtung (pronounced as 'Hoch-Tooie') Baby, but haven't listened to the cassette I bought of it for about 20 years or so. The rest is a blank. I remember their tour titles, vaguely remember a single called Trying To Blow His Farts Around In Swirls, and then yes that single, All That You Can't Leave Behind, did recall the U2 of old, but since then it's another blank for me.

When you see photos of the band, there is a world-weary look about them, as if they've spent too much time down the pub and have become lax in their ways.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 24, 2014 02:17

Chicago's awful tempting...anybody been to the United Center? How's traffic in and out...best place to stay?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-24 02:18 by shadooby.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2203
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home