Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9
Re: OT: U2 officially announce world tour
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:11

They blew me away on their 360°-tour, the tour before that: not so much.

Massive band, looking forward to it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 5, 2014 21:28

Love U2 have seen them many many times and will once again this time , btw the original member thing still amazes me after so many years , but hey that's me

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 5, 2014 22:36

melillo
btw the original member thing still amazes me after so many years , but hey that's me

They all know The Edge is U2. And he's such a nice guy to give everyone a credit. I don't think Larry or Adam would get songwriter-credits if they were in another band.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: December 6, 2014 03:13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:51 by camper88.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 6, 2014 04:14

camper88
treaclefingers
camper88

Full disclosure, I've seen them once live--Pop Mart tour--and was completely bored by it.

wasn't a great tour...my least favourite of their shows. if you like them enough, give them another chance in concert. they are pretty damn good.

I had seen a lot of video of the Zoo TV concerts and thought that was about as good a show as any one had done with a big stage/ show. Blew me away. Pop Mart stuck me as quiet and trying to hard at the same time.

If Love Bono comes to town with this tour, I'll give 'em another chance.

I've seen them 3 times, Joshua Tree, Zoo Station and Pop Mart.

Zoo Station was definitely the most fun. Joshua Tree was unbelievably good as well, long after the band left the stage, and the house lights came on the crowded kept singing the refrain from "40".

Pop Mart was ok...not a bad show, but it seemed like they were trying to top themselves and couldn't.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 6, 2014 04:44

Original members? Are the 10 guys playing under the stage original members?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: December 6, 2014 04:52

Thank God it's arenas and not stadiums!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-06 04:53 by mnewman505.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: December 6, 2014 06:17

FeelTheFire
Most overrated band in the world......after the horrible INXS.

I'm not feeling the love for U2. I sure don't have any. Bono talks big but then skirts Irish taxes. Yo! Bono! Ya can't take it with you!

Posted by: belld ()
Date: December 6, 2014 11:22

FeelTheFire
U2 the most overrated band of all time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 6, 2014 14:45

belld
FeelTheFire
U2 the most overrated band of all time.

They craft pretty good and forgettable pop songs imo. "Beautiful Day" is silly but you remember the song for a day or two. But the idea they play in the same league as Dylan Hendrix or the Stones and write classics as strong as "Row" or "Shelter" is 100% stupid.
They're a little nice band driven by one huge ego.

And U2 suck live : on a stage they can't hide the fact the fact they're all semi-amateur musicians with very low skills. And they're deprived of any energy. Maybe they should all do coke?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 7, 2014 01:09

treaclefingers
camper88
treaclefingers
camper88

Full disclosure, I've seen them once live--Pop Mart tour--and was completely bored by it.

wasn't a great tour...my least favourite of their shows. if you like them enough, give them another chance in concert. they are pretty damn good.

I had seen a lot of video of the Zoo TV concerts and thought that was about as good a show as any one had done with a big stage/ show. Blew me away. Pop Mart stuck me as quiet and trying to hard at the same time.

If Love Bono comes to town with this tour, I'll give 'em another chance.

I've seen them 3 times, Joshua Tree, Zoo Station and Pop Mart.

Zoo Station was definitely the most fun. Joshua Tree was unbelievably good as well, long after the band left the stage, and the house lights came on the crowded kept singing the refrain from "40".

Pop Mart was ok...not a bad show, but it seemed like they were trying to top themselves and couldn't.

Ahem...

HA HA!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: December 7, 2014 11:10

I'm a member of the fan club so was able to get decent $118 seats for the LA Forum in the presale. Happy with that. We'll see if it's a great enough show to make me want to go twice, or pay premiums to be in a "Red Zone"

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: December 7, 2014 11:52

tatters

there's just one guy playing under U2's stage (since 2000): the keyboard player Terry Lawless. he's also in charge, of course, of loops and all kinds of backing sounds.
ex: if you just see one guitar on stage (Edge) and hear other guitars sounds, it's all digital pre-programmed backing tracks.

Date: December 7, 2014 15:51

superglen
tatters

there's just one guy playing under U2's stage (since 2000): the keyboard player Terry Lawless. he's also in charge, of course, of loops and all kinds of backing sounds.
ex: if you just see one guitar on stage (Edge) and hear other guitars sounds, it's all digital pre-programmed backing tracks.

Billy Joel says it's 10 guys. Billy wouldn't lie about a thing like that, would he?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: December 7, 2014 16:50

FeelTheFire

I guess you won't think much of my taste then! I like both INXS and U2.... Neither come close to the Stones for me but I still enjoy their music. And two firsts for me.

INXS were the first band I ever saw live.

And U2 was the first time I went to see a show alone (none of my friends at the time were into them). Only seen them once - the PopMart tour. I was going to go to the Vertigo tour but I'd spent too money on seeing the Stones (which was my priority).

I'm thinking of going to see them this time round but I'll just see if I can snap up a cheap ticket at the last minute.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: December 7, 2014 17:52

MarthaTuesday
FeelTheFire

I guess you won't think much of my taste then! I like both INXS and U2.... Neither come close to the Stones for me but I still enjoy their music. And two firsts for me.

INXS were the first band I ever saw live.

And U2 was the first time I went to see a show alone (none of my friends at the time were into them). Only seen them once - the PopMart tour. I was going to go to the Vertigo tour but I'd spent too money on seeing the Stones (which was my priority).

I'm thinking of going to see them this time round but I'll just see if I can snap up a cheap ticket at the last minute.

I agree with this assessment. Michael Hutchinson (?) had a voice that mirrored Jim Morrison's. Not the same - However, similarity suggests that it is trajic we will never experience their potential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-07 17:57 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 7, 2014 17:59

10 guys under the stage? That's more than twice the number in the real band, I don't believe it. However, I do believe one keyboard can make a lot of sounds. Look at Paul McCartney's band, Wix Wickens fattens the sound with keyboards.

Date: December 7, 2014 18:02

What I don't understand is this: If it's just one guy, why do they have to hide him? Why can't he be on the stage?

Date: December 7, 2014 18:52

tatters
What I don't understand is this: If it's just one guy, why do they have to hide him? Why can't he be on the stage?

He's not a band member. Besides, he's got cues to hit for the programmed material. He's too busy making sure things work to be onstage.

Date: December 7, 2014 20:09

GasLightStreet
tatters

He's not a band member. Besides, he's got cues to hit for the programmed material. He's too busy making sure things work to be onstage.

Darryl Jones isn't a band member. They don't keep him hidden from view. Anyway, I think they do it because, as drunken Billy Joel says in that video, "People want to see U2," meaning they just want to see the four guys who are and always have been U2. What's ironic about that, of course, is that like Pink Floyd, a U2 show is mostly about the stage and the lights. It almost hardly matters who is or isn't on the stage. They might as well be playing records. The band's presence is almost irrelevant.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-07 20:16 by tatters.

Date: December 7, 2014 20:39

tatters
GasLightStreet
tatters

Darryl Jones isn't a band member. They don't keep him hidden from view. Anyway, I think they do it because, as drunken Billy Joel says in that video, "People want to see U2," meaning they just want to see the four guys who are and always have been U2. What's ironic about that, of course, is that like Pink Floyd, a U2 show is mostly about the stage and the lights. It almost hardly matters who is or isn't on the stage. They might as well be playing records. The band's presence is almost irrelevant.

I wouldn't go that far. Adam and Larry have fans too. With U2 it's only the band onstage, no one else. The Stones that's never been the case. Except for possibly the Some Girls tour.

U2 puts on a great show. So do the Stones. So do a lot of people. Billy Joel? @#$%& him, he's a bitch.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 7, 2014 20:41

As the public becomes even more aware that a non band member hidden below the stage holds the onstage band together, we may see ticket sales for seats under the stage. More sunglasses and beanie caps.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 7, 2014 22:32

The guy under the stage is no secret. The last show I went to Bono introduced him.

Date: December 7, 2014 22:46

Nobody gives a shit except for that douche Billy Joel.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 7, 2014 22:50

tatters
GasLightStreet
tatters

What? Musically, Darryl is VERY much a part of the band. Unlike some, I believe anyone who is playing an instrument and/or singing to create the music at a show is definitely part of the band. And as important as bass guitar is to the Stones music it is amazing that you can say he isn't a band member.

Does he get introduced during the band introductions? Yes. He is a band member and I've always thought it absurd that he is not considered a Rolling Stone. As a musician I want to see everyone who is playing an instrument or singing on stage, I could care less if they are "original members" or not.

I don't care who is timing the lights and effects of the show as that is peripheral to the music, put 'em wherever you want. They are pressing buttons and speaking cues to the lighting and effects guys, not much entertainment value in that. But to me the show is still about the sound of the music and although I enjoy the lasers and stuff in Pink Floyd shows, it's nothing without the musicians playing their instruments and singing.

peace

Date: December 7, 2014 23:37

Naturalust
tatters
GasLightStreet
tatters

What? Musically, Darryl is VERY much a part of the band. Unlike some, I believe anyone who is playing an instrument and/or singing to create the music at a show is definitely part of the band. And as important as bass guitar is to the Stones music it is amazing that you can say he isn't a band member.

Does he get introduced during the band introductions? Yes. He is a band member and I've always thought it absurd that he is not considered a Rolling Stone. As a musician I want to see everyone who is playing an instrument or singing on stage, I could care less if they are "original members" or not.

I don't care who is timing the lights and effects of the show as that is peripheral to the music, put 'em wherever you want. They are pressing buttons and speaking cues to the lighting and effects guys, not much entertainment value in that. But to me the show is still about the sound of the music and although I enjoy the lasers and stuff in Pink Floyd shows, it's nothing without the musicians playing their instruments and singing.

peace

Ugh! Read the thread again.

piece

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 8, 2014 00:30

tatters
Naturalust
tatters
GasLightStreet
tatters

peace

Ugh! Read the thread again.

piece

Read your posts again. Sorry if I misinterpreted your words but "Darryl Jones isn't a band member" seems pretty clear no matter the context and "What I don't understand is this: If it's just one guy, why do they have to hide him? Why can't he be on the stage?" seems pretty clear and part of what I commented on.

Finally "like Pink Floyd, a U2 show is mostly about the stage and the lights. It almost hardly matters who is or isn't on the stage. They might as well be playing records. The band's presence is almost irrelevant."

I guess for you that may be true confused smiley but I would suspect that for most fans the music and the band's presence is the most relevant thing and the stage and lights, although adding to the entertainment, are the replaceable and irrelevant part of the show. For U2 and Pink Floyd shows. In fact the hardcore fans who buy pit tickets usually do so to see the performers up close, they can't really even see the lights and stage from a perspective that makes it very relevant.

peace

Date: December 8, 2014 01:16

And most people who go see the Stones know who Mick Jagger is, have an idea of who Keith is, and the rest is all a mystery. To this day I know of people who don't know Bill Wyman isn't in the band.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 8, 2014 02:10

GasLightStreet
And most people who go see the Stones know who Mick Jagger is, have an idea of who Keith is, and the rest is all a mystery. To this day I know of people who don't know Bill Wyman isn't in the band.

yeah right...next thing you're gonna suggest Blondie isn't touring with them anymore.

you sleigh (Christmas reference) me skippy!

Date: December 8, 2014 04:09

Debbie Harry isn't touring with the Stones anymore???

Damn. When did that happen?

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 4 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2105
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home