Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Phase pedal
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: December 24, 2014 03:34

Hi there, just a quick question. I want to buy a phase pedal to recreate the sound of beast of burden etc. The one Keith used was the MXR90? Should I go with the regular MXR90 or the more expensive one that says '74 vintage? Thanks in advance

Re: Phase pedal
Posted by: tomk ()
Date: December 24, 2014 04:29

He used the Phase 100. I have a newer one (I had a "Script" one that got nicked), and those were better. However, I don't find much fault with the new ones.
Jimmy Page used to use the Phase 90 on the 1977 Zeppelin tour, which you can hear on various boots.
I've seen some "Script" 100s go for as high as $300.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 24, 2014 05:52

Don't waste your money on pedals that say 'vintage'. That's just marketing.

Posted by: Kiwiclapton ()
Date: December 24, 2014 07:34

I got no problems with my EVH pedal . You can get them at a good price .

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 24, 2014 09:31

Try 'em out and let your ears decide. Bring your guitar to do so because that will make a difference. Sometimes the old pedals are better due to some component which isn't available anymore. New stuff may be the same schematic wise but components have gone through radical changes in the last 20 years and sometimes the effect on the sound is noticeable. Get one you are happy with, forget what Keith used, and close your eyes and A/B your choices. Be careful about buying vintage pedals without trying them, sometimes they are not vintage and sometimes there are other problems. Good Luck.

peace

Date: December 24, 2014 11:27

The newer MXR 100 works just fine. But it also depends on your settings, your amp settings and even your guitar and its settings whether you'll get the cool sound.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: December 24, 2014 12:14

Sadly the hand wired "script logo" version of the Phase 100 that Keith had is no longer made.

The re-issue Phase 100 is the Block logo version which has different circuitry and does sound different, even though it is close.

MXR do make a hand wired "script logo" Phase 90, which may sound closer to what you are looking for, even though it's not exactly what Keith used.

I think the 100's do what the 90 could do with even more range.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-24 12:15 by vudicus.

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: December 24, 2014 12:17

I use the regular MXR Phase 90. Works fine with all my different amps and guitars.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 24, 2014 13:44

i have a vintage mxr phase 90 that my dad got for me when i was a kid .love it !!!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home